Gestational Diabetes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

#1 of 59 Old 07-09-2014, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Gestational Diabetes

I don't do the GTT and my doc know this. I started testing this morning (I test 4 times a day for a week and share the numbers with him) and I'm not happy with my fasting glucose: 114. I guess I've got some tweaking to do ...
#2 of 59 Old 07-09-2014, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Ugh. Just tested one hour after eating and it was 142 (should be under 140). I had an egg and cheese omelet and 1/2 c. greek yogurt. That is not good.

114 after two hours, which is (barely) within normal range. Should be an interesting week.

Last edited by Usually Curious; 07-09-2014 at 09:26 AM.
#3 of 59 Old 07-14-2014, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
It may not be your breakfast, but what you ate last night that's giving you those numbers. I've actually read that too much protein/not enough fat in the evening can spike your am glucose.

Mama to a DD, born 5.20.2012

Expecting #2 in Early November 2014!

#4 of 59 Old 07-14-2014, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmagoo View Post
It may not be your breakfast, but what you ate last night that's giving you those numbers. I've actually read that too much protein/not enough fat in the evening can spike your am glucose.
I've done this the last four times but this is the first time I've had trouble controlling it with diet. When I eat almost zero carbs my numbers are at the high end of acceptable. I think I may have reached the point where it cannot be controlled by diet.
#5 of 59 Old 08-19-2014, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I failed my first one. I got pricked four times yesterday for my 3 hour GTT. Now I know which technician is better at drawing blood. Not fun... Bring a good book.
Usually Curious likes this.
#6 of 59 Old 08-20-2014, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowcookie View Post
I failed my first one. I got pricked four times yesterday for my 3 hour GTT. Now I know which technician is better at drawing blood. Not fun... Bring a good book.
to the OP: are you well hydrated? i know that i haven't been drinking enough water, and dehydration can affect blood glucose.
#7 of 59 Old 08-20-2014, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by javilu View Post
to the OP: are you well hydrated? i know that i haven't been drinking enough water, and dehydration can affect blood glucose.
Yes, I've had an obsession with ice water this whole pregnancy.

I forgot to update but my doctor gave me the numbers he desired and I'm able to stay under those. His are more generous than the ones I was using. He said it's all arbitrary anyway. He is very laid back and happy with my numbers, thank goodness!
alk209 likes this.
#8 of 59 Old 08-22-2014, 04:56 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
I passed my test the other day, but they discovered an iron issue in the process. Nothing is ever simple, haha.

Question: why with mine did I need to chug my love cocktail an hour before getting pricked and get my results in 5 min, but others have had to wait 3 hours or other strange time periods? I don't understand.
#9 of 59 Old 08-22-2014, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwolf092087 View Post
I passed my test the other day, but they discovered an iron issue in the process. Nothing is ever simple, haha.

Question: why with mine did I need to chug my love cocktail an hour before getting pricked and get my results in 5 min, but others have had to wait 3 hours or other strange time periods? I don't understand.
There are two tests. If you fail the one hour, you get to take the three hour.
#10 of 59 Old 08-22-2014, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Just had my test and feeling pretty nervous about the results - with my last one I "passed" only by about 2 points.
Usually Curious - that's awesome that your doctor is being so great about this!
#11 of 59 Old 08-22-2014, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Is it standard practice for Midwives to order this test? I know OB's require it, but my midwife hasn't mentioned it since the first visit. There was a handout on GD in the packet of stuff she gave me then. I'm pretty healthy, with no diabetes in my family. I see her on monday, and I'll ask, but I'm curious about all your experiences. All the woman around me are more traditional (or less depending on the was you look at it ) and have had OB's.

Cass, DP Justin, and big woof sister Lola anxiously awaiting the arrival of baby boy Kellan, due 11/18

****5****10****15****20****25****30**** ****40
#12 of 59 Old 08-22-2014, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casmira View Post
Is it standard practice for Midwives to order this test? I know OB's require it, but my midwife hasn't mentioned it since the first visit. There was a handout on GD in the packet of stuff she gave me then. I'm pretty healthy, with no diabetes in my family. I see her on monday, and I'll ask, but I'm curious about all your experiences. All the woman around me are more traditional (or less depending on the was you look at it ) and have had OB's.
Some do, some don't. Most will use something other than the syrup water (jellybeans or a large, carby breakfast). MWs are better about handling a decline than OB's.

Having diabetes in your family really has little to do with GD. Insulin resistance is a natural state in pregnancy. Some do not even believe there is such a thing as GD. I believe it is very rare. My doctor admits the diagnosis and blood glucose goal numbers are completely arbitrary. He also admitted that it has a lot to do with labeling a pregnancy high risk and charging insurance companies more. For example, when they change the diagnosis to include the top 10% of high glucose mamas instead of the top 2% (which they did), how many hundreds of thousands of pregnant women instantly were bumped into the high risk category? How many millions of dollars were billed to insurance and Medicaid?
#13 of 59 Old 08-22-2014, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
With my first, my midwife (home birth/naturopath) did offer it routinely, the standard "glucola" syrupy drink stuff, but it would have been very easy for me to decline it or do the alternative. All the nurse midwives in the area offer the same standard one too. I think the OBs around here would give you a hard time about not doing it but would be ok with you just 'assuming' you had it after a failed 1 hr and doing the diet and finger sticks that would be recommended, without doing the 3hr.

I'm getting my results on Monday, and admittedly bought some Ben and Jerry's to enjoy thus w/e just in case it's my last...
#14 of 59 Old 08-23-2014, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchet View Post
With my first, my midwife (home birth/naturopath) did offer it routinely, the standard "glucola" syrupy drink stuff, but it would have been very easy for me to decline it or do the alternative. All the nurse midwives in the area offer the same standard one too. I think the OBs around here would give you a hard time about not doing it but would be ok with you just 'assuming' you had it after a failed 1 hr and doing the diet and finger sticks that would be recommended, without doing the 3hr.

I'm getting my results on Monday, and admittedly bought some Ben and Jerry's to enjoy thus w/e just in case it's my last...
Haha, enjoy your ice cream!
#15 of 59 Old 08-26-2014, 02:36 AM

Well, I spoke too soon My midwife ordered the GD test this week. I didn't even get to ask her about it. She brought it up. So wish me luck mamas
#16 of 59 Old 08-27-2014, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
My MW let me just decline it no problems. From my DD though my tips are: eat a high fat, very low carb breakfast, and walk around if you are able while you wait the hour for your blood draw. I just went outside the lab and made phone calls and walked around while I waited.

Mama to a DD, born 5.20.2012

Expecting #2 in Early November 2014!

#17 of 59 Old 08-27-2014, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmagoo View Post
My MW let me just decline it no problems. From my DD though my tips are: eat a high fat, very low carb breakfast, and walk around if you are able while you wait the hour for your blood draw. I just went outside the lab and made phone calls and walked around while I waited.
The only time I've done one at the OBs, I had to be fasting.
#18 of 59 Old 08-28-2014, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
This time around my midwife hasn't even suggested it, but in the beginning we talked about it and decided we wouldn't bother unless I wasn't feeling well. With my other two pregnancies with OB's it wasn't a decision I was allowed to make and also had to fast before the tests.

Breezy married to my sweetie pie David With two beautiful children that love each other very much and a bun in the oven due Nov. 5th, 2014

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

-Benjamin Franklin

#19 of 59 Old 09-01-2014, 07:08 AM

This GD is kicking my butt. With my last pregnancy I was able to control it with diet, now the OB put me on glyburide, only after I tried everything. I hate taking meds. After being it for three days, my morning fasting sugars were under control, however, I broke out in hives. I didn't realize it was a sulfa drug, and I have developed sulfa allergies over the last year. This sucks. I'm so frustrated and feel like I'm a failure. I haven't called the OB yet, since it's a weekend, and she has no answering service, I'd be calling her directly, which I feel bad about, but this isn't an emergency.

Has anyone tired tri-chromium to control diabetes? I've been doing so much research, my brain is on overload. Does anyone use fish oil, or coenzyme10 to help?
#20 of 59 Old 09-01-2014, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannafm View Post
This GD is kicking my butt. With my last pregnancy I was able to control it with diet, now the OB put me on glyburide, only after I tried everything. I hate taking meds. After being it for three days, my morning fasting sugars were under control, however, I broke out in hives. I didn't realize it was a sulfa drug, and I have developed sulfa allergies over the last year. This sucks. I'm so frustrated and feel like I'm a failure. I haven't called the OB yet, since it's a weekend, and she has no answering service, I'd be calling her directly, which I feel bad about, but this isn't an emergency.

Has anyone tired tri-chromium to control diabetes? I've been doing so much research, my brain is on overload. Does anyone use fish oil, or coenzyme10 to help?
You said you'd tried diet ... did you follow the recommended GD diet? IMO, it has way too many carbs. Meat, cheese, eggs, and low carb veggies might be enough to control it, IDK. A lot of dieticians recommend whole grains, but that is a huge mistake. No grains is better. Also, eat a lot of fat, ie., coconut oil, avacadoes, etc.

As far as meds ... I've used cinammon and spirulina to control regular diabetes in my cousin while he was losing weight, but I've never had to go on meds with GD. I'm sorry you're struggling! Hives suck!

Also, what are the goal numbers your doc gave you?
#21 of 59 Old 09-01-2014, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Curious View Post
You said you'd tried diet ... did you follow the recommended GD diet? IMO, it has way too many carbs. Meat, cheese, eggs, and low carb veggies might be enough to control it, IDK. A lot of dieticians recommend whole grains, but that is a huge mistake. No grains is better. Also, eat a lot of fat, ie., coconut oil, avacadoes, etc.

As far as meds ... I've used cinammon and spirulina to control regular diabetes in my cousin while he was losing weight, but I've never had to go on meds with GD. I'm sorry you're struggling! Hives suck!

Also, what are the goal numbers your doc gave you?
Holy Schnikeys! I made dirty rice for dinner tonight and I guess I should have had less rice and more veggies! My reading after two hours was 199! Ack, it could be a lot worse but that is a far cry from 140!
#22 of 59 Old 09-02-2014, 04:30 AM

I eat low carb, like less than 60 a day. The GD diet is full of carbs, I tried that at first and my sugar was in the 150's or higher. OB wants my fasting glucose under 95, which I think is low, last time for me was <100, and under 120 after an hour, and last time at an hour was <140. Granted that was six years ago, but do things change that much?

I'm frustrated too. Even with being low carb my fasting level this morning was 99, without meds for four days. The hives do suck. I'm still itching in some places where new hives have developed. I would think the meds would be out if my system by now.
#23 of 59 Old 09-02-2014, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Curious View Post
Holy Schnikeys! I made dirty rice for dinner tonight and I guess I should have had less rice and more veggies! My reading after two hours was 199! Ack, it could be a lot worse but that is a far cry from 140!
What should your levels be at fasting and one hour? Does your doc do two hours? My OB sounds pretty conservative about the levels.
#24 of 59 Old 09-04-2014, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What should your levels be at fasting and one hour? Does your doc do two hours? My OB sounds pretty conservative about the levels.
My doc admits the numbers are arbitrary and, as such, is quite generous. <105 fasting and <140 at two hours. He said don't even bother with a one hour reading.
#25 of 59 Old 09-04-2014, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
my one hour result was 136 and my OB office considers that a fail. :/ I refused the 3 hour so I will be taking my own readings for 2 weeks instead. What a pain!

Sarah (35) Married to Jason (32)  Cali (11)  Madeline Due 11/17/2014  
#26 of 59 Old 09-04-2014, 03:48 PM

I took the 1 hour test last Friday, and I haven't heard from my midwife. No news is good news tho! She said they'd only call if there was a prob. Whew! I wasn't really worried, but I do have a major sweet tooth, so I didn't want to hear I couldn't have any dessert

Cass, DP Justin, and big woof sister Lola anxiously awaiting the arrival of baby boy Kellan, due 11/18

****5****10****15****20****25****30**** ****40
#27 of 59 Old 09-05-2014, 05:46 AM

I've avoided the GTT as I previously at type 2 diabetes (resolved following large amount of weight loss). I've been doing fingerpricks and taking a limited carb, moderate protein diet since the beginning. I think it would be positive as my meal-limit is about 1.5 slices of bread.

Hoping to get away without insulin. I have a lovely physician who is quite supportive on this front, and with my 1000 questions.
#28 of 59 Old 09-05-2014, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
after failing the one-hour test, one of the four blood draws for the three-hour test, and then retaking the one-hour yesterday, i got the bad news today that i have gestational diabetes. even though there wasn't really anything i could have done to prevent it, i still feel like a failure. it's especially discouraging because i started a GD diet after the three-hour test (two weeks ago), and my score on yesterday's test was the worst one yet.

i was already so nervous about the health of my baby (no particular reason, just first-time nerves), and now to be told "you are a high risk pregnancy..." so scary.
#29 of 59 Old 09-06-2014, 05:51 AM

It us frustrating, and I feel like a failure too. My husband tells me I'm not, somim passing that sentiment onto you nineteen plums. Our bodies just don't know how to do this. I refuse to believe I'm high risk. My doc wants to do biophysical files every week starting in two weeks. I am going to call on Monday and ask for the meds since my fasting glucose won't stay below 122. It fluctuates between 97, which she says is too high, and 122. I refuse to let anything happen to my babe. I worked too long and hard to get her. I've tried to go no carb at night for dinner and snack, only to wake up to fasting levels @122.
Good luck, we can fight this, we have too.

Last edited by deannafm; 09-08-2014 at 07:56 PM.
#30 of 59 Old 09-06-2014, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineteenplums View Post
after failing the one-hour test, one of the four blood draws for the three-hour test, and then retaking the one-hour yesterday, i got the bad news today that i have gestational diabetes. even though there wasn't really anything i could have done to prevent it, i still feel like a failure. it's especially discouraging because i started a GD diet after the three-hour test (two weeks ago), and my score on yesterday's test was the worst one yet.

i was already so nervous about the health of my baby (no particular reason, just first-time nerves), and now to be told "you are a high risk pregnancy..." so scary.
First of all, you are not a failure. Pregnancy makes one naturally insulin resistant. It's the way our bodies are made. GD is a set of arbitrary numbers picked to make more pregnancies high risk, thus allowing them to charge more money. Even my OB admitted this. Having said this, I do believe it's important to control your numbers, just in case. My friend just had an 11 1/2 lb baby! No thanks!

Quote:
It us frustrating, and I feel like EPA failure too. My husband tells me I'm not, somim passing that sentiment onto you nineteen plums. Our bodies just don't know how to do this. I refuse to believe I'm high risk. My doc wants to do biophysical files every week starting in two weeks. I am going to call on Monday and ask for the meds since my fasting glucose won't stay below 122. It fluctuates between 97, which she says is too high, and 122. I refuse to let anything happen to my babe. I worked too long and hard to get her. I've tried to go no carb at night for dinner and snack, only to wake up to fasting levels @122.
Good luck, we can fight this, we have too.
Arbitrary. My OB wants my fasting numbers under 105. He said it's just the number he's chosen. If 97 is too high, what is your doc looking for? Also, make sure you have a minimum of 8 hours after your snack, otherwise it's not really a fasting number. I can't remember who mentioned that to me - someone on here or my sister who has type 2 - but it's made a difference in my numbers.

Oh, and to both of you: Following the GD diet that the nutritionist will give you won't be enough. The recommended GD is too high in carbs to control GD. I'm not sure if it's a conspiracy to get us on meds or it's a difference in education that they get in school.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page