Cloth Wipes - Mothering Forums

Cloth Wipes

Casmira's Avatar Casmira (TS)
07:18 PM Liked: 24
#1 of 21
07-13-2014 | Posts: 94
Hey cloth diapering Mamas, what are your thoughts on cloth wipes? For some reason I don't feel as strongly about them as the cloth diapers. Although they can't add too much additional work. You're already doing a load of diapers, so throwing in some wipes is NBD.
alk209's Avatar alk209
07:31 PM Liked: 49
#2 of 21
07-13-2014 | Posts: 95
I could not make them work for me - I used them the first few weeks, when I was uber conscious of everything I let touch her skin, then after that only occasionally (like for a really big poop) but I didn't like having a dish of water or solution at the changing table, so I just wet them before I put her on the table. So most of the time we used disposable wipes. Also, if I remember right my husband just didn't like the cloth wipes for some reason. He was pretty skeptical of the whole cloth diapering thing so I felt like the disposable wipes were a small price to pay to keep him from going out and buying disposables
missmagoo's Avatar missmagoo
08:58 AM Liked: 69
#3 of 21
07-14-2014 | Posts: 204
We used nothing else. IMO using disposable wipes with cloth dipes is a laundry nightmare- you will always end up with a few sposie wipes in your wash. We used a combo of flannel wipes, and terry wipes. They terry wipes are awesome for messy poops. I also like them far better than disposable wipes, which I always had to use three or four of for a messy poop, and I felt like they always were TOO wet.

I didn't have a changing table with DD, so I usually just wet wipes as I needed them. Either with just plain water, or with a squirt of her soap on them. For daycare, I wet and soaped them up in the morning and packed them in a small wipes container. No big deal. I really think cloth diapering is as complicated as you make it, and for us it was really easy, but we did also do EC, so my DD was out of dipes during the day at 22months

I am also just not a wipes mom in general, I just don't get the need to use wipes for every spill/nose wipe, etc. you've also got the issue of all the junk in disposable wipes (I.e. What's in the solution on them).
hikingfortruth's Avatar hikingfortruth
09:13 AM Liked: 33
#4 of 21
07-14-2014 | Posts: 180
Ditto to missmagoo! We have always used cloth wipes and they are way better. Not only are they better performing, but my personal opinion is that disposable wipes have all sorts of chemicals and unnecessary stuff added to them (even the 'free and clear') and that I hate spending money, so cloth wipes that I throw in with the cloth diapers was the easiest solution.

After using cloth wipes for our daughter, we switched the whole house to cloth wipes, no tp. Though people are so skeptical of it when they come over (and we usually have a roll of tp for guests), most want to try it and soon rave about the experience. Cloth toilet paper is so much more practical and works way better than disposable toilet paper. We always use dark-colored fabrics, instead of all the light ones you see on blogs. Flannels and Terry's are best for that too. This is going on 3 years for us that we've been cloth tp, cloth wipes, etc. I also had reservations at first, and didn't do cloth wipes right away when we were cloth diapering our first. Don't know why. But as soon as we started, we were hooked.

http://becomingpeculiar.com/our-swit...-toilet-paper/
3lilchunklins's Avatar 3lilchunklins
11:03 AM Liked: 7447
#5 of 21
07-14-2014 | Posts: 1,615
I'm not the biggest fan of cloth wipes, but I use them for pee, I just don't have patience to use the for poop. I honestly don't think I've ever ended up with sposie wipes in diaper laundry.
But when I do use them, I make my own solution in a sposie wipes box and then I just use the cheap gerber baby wash clothes. I think they're like 5 bucks for 12 or something like that at walmart.
crazyms's Avatar crazyms
11:28 AM Liked: 2373
#6 of 21
07-14-2014 | Posts: 1,190
I've always used the cloth wipes even when we used disposable diapers at times I still used cloth wipes. We are very sensitive in this family and disposable wipes are filled with all kinds of who knows what so I avoid them. Actually the need for cloth wipes is what first started me into CD. She was a sensitive skin baby and the disposable wipes weren't good on her skin. It was after making the switch to cloth wipes that we switched to cloth diapers. Actually my ultra mainstream mama that cringes her nose at everything I do said she used cloth wipes on me!!! Apparently I was a sensitive baby and broke out from the disposable wipes as well. We actually just made the switch to family cloth use with a bidet/diaper sprayer and it's great.
mamabear7's Avatar mamabear7
12:15 PM Liked: 338
#7 of 21
07-14-2014 | Posts: 545
Our family uses cloth wipes for our bathroom also. Guests are usually appalled at the idea so I do keep some t.p. around for that matter. We don't live in a very eco friendly territory unfortunately... I have never used cloth diapers this will be my first time, but I will definitely be using cloth wipes with them! Why add your wipes to the landfills when you can just add them to the diaper load?

I love using the wipes in the bathroom, it just seems so much cleaner! I wash them with a handful of baking soda and my homemade laundry soap and they come out just as white as they were before. When I started using them (about a year now) I had some white dish cloths that I cut up and hemmed, that is why I have white ones, but dark colors are a good idea!
missmagoo's Avatar missmagoo
01:27 PM Liked: 69
#8 of 21
07-14-2014 | Posts: 204
Mamabear, what laundry soap recipe do you use? We have an old top loader, and I think that's part of my problem, but I'm never happy with how clean our clothes are. I use country save with a tiny bit of regular tide.
Momma2Merrell's Avatar Momma2Merrell
01:35 PM Liked: 44
#9 of 21
07-14-2014 | Posts: 118
I used cloth diapers for both my babes and will for this babe too. I did on occasion buy a bag of disposables for vacation, weekends away, or camping when laundry facilities weren't as available. However, I didn't get into cloth wipes. I am now inspired to invest in some dark soft terry cloths for baby #3

I also have inspiration to use cloth wipes instead of TP
So, do you just have them ready in the bathroom, then when soiled they are put in a 'bucket' for the day till laundry??
I'm gonna look this up
TY ladies
02:32 PM Liked: 338
#10 of 21
hey missmagoo, I grate a bare of kirk's coconut castile soap (found in the hygiene aisle) and a bar of fels naptha soap (found in the laundry aisle) and melt that over the stove with two liters of water. Once it is all melted I pour that in a five gal bucket and mix in 2 cups borax and 2 cups washing soda (both also found in the laundry aisle) once that is mixed very well I fill the bucket with water and put a lid on. It takes about four hours to gelify and it is ready to use. I only need about 1/4 cup per load and it works great. If I feel like it needs a little extra power like to wash my hubby's stinky work clothes I will throw in a handful of baking soda to cut the stink. My five gallon bucket lasts me probably three to four months and costs about $4 to make! Since I make this often I bought a long mixing attachment for my drill to mix it and that made a world of difference in time and consistency and just all around ease. You can also add essential oils, but I find it unnecessary.

Momma2Merrell I keep my family wipes in a mason jar in the windowsill right next to the toilet. That way you don't have to fold them when putting the laundry away. After using them I just toss them into the towel basket to be washed with the rest of the bathroom linens. My hubby thought that was gross at first to wash them with the towels, but I was like hey, they're aren't gross to use after they are washed so why is it gross to wash them with the towels? To each his own I suppose, but it would take forever to fill up even a small load of wipes and they'd mildew so I just wash 'em with the towels. and he uses them because deep down he cares about mother earth.
02:34 PM Liked: 338
#11 of 21
Oh, one more thing... I think you will find that with family wipes you get a much 'cleaner' feel after using the potty! No t.p. fibers down there to worry about is great!
crazyms's Avatar crazyms
03:35 PM Liked: 2373
#12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Merrell View Post
I used cloth diapers for both my babes and will for this babe too. I did on occasion buy a bag of disposables for vacation, weekends away, or camping when laundry facilities weren't as available. However, I didn't get into cloth wipes. I am now inspired to invest in some dark soft terry cloths for baby #3

I also have inspiration to use cloth wipes instead of TP
So, do you just have them ready in the bathroom, then when soiled they are put in a 'bucket' for the day till laundry??
I'm gonna look this up
TY ladies
We use a bidet/diaper sprayer to clean ourselves then use a cloth wipe to dry off except for just pee when most of the family just wipes with the cloth and doesn't bother with the bidet for that. Our family cloth sit in a basket just above the toilet on our space saver and dirties go into a wet bag hung on a towel rack right next to the toilet. Right now our family cloth consists of a few single layer and some double layer flannel cloth wipes that are left from our CDing days. I also cut up an old fleece sleep shirt that I was going to donate and some sleep pants if soft t shirt material so we could try some other types. Our favorite so far has been the double layer flannel and I plan to buy or make more of those to use later. I agree dark colors are nice and just make me feel better somehow lol.
crazyms's Avatar crazyms
03:37 PM Liked: 2373
#13 of 21
Oh Momma2Merrell if you want to do more research on it look up "family cloth" because that's how most refer to it. There are some nice blogs and sites with articles about it or you can also find all the old threads here about it by typing "family cloth site: www.mothering.com" into google.
08:35 AM Liked: 44
#14 of 21
08-05-2014 | Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyms View Post
Oh Momma2Merrell if you want to do more research on it look up "family cloth" because that's how most refer to it. There are some nice blogs and sites with articles about it or you can also find all the old threads here about it by typing "family cloth site: www.mothering.com" into google.

I'm more than happy to say my family is on cloth! HA!! DH put in the bidet and I cut up a couple of receiving blankets, found a pillow case no one would miss, and we're now only using cloth wipes or 'family cloth'. I learned that I really could use a sewing machine! I am very excited about family cloth! It is helpful in many ways. DD has very sensitive private to soaps, laundry detergents and she also, I found, was bothered by TP. Not to mention the septic tank here isn't the best. Cleaner and better all the way around!

Thank you all for the inspiration!!
07:04 PM Liked: 338
#15 of 21
08-05-2014 | Posts: 545
yay! Good for you Momma! And you're making the earth a little bit greener one bum at a time!! If you're interested you should try my laundry soap recipe a few posts up. It works beautifully, is much greener for the environment, and is ridiculously cheap and easy to make.
crazyms's Avatar crazyms
11:31 PM Liked: 2373
#16 of 21
08-05-2014 | Posts: 1,190
Congrats on getting set up! We got our bidet in and love it! The family cloth is working fine as well although I'm really wanting some more cloth. I made a mix of cloths out of left over cloth baby wipes and different fabrics cut from clothing. We definitely have a preference for the double layer flannel cloths that are a little bigger so I want more of those. It's working great so far though and we haven't bought tp in a month! Yay! One less thing on the shopping list now for the rest of it...
10:25 AM Liked: 44
#17 of 21
08-06-2014 | Posts: 118
I'm really excited! We're awesome galls Greener for the planet, nicer to our parts, easier on the septic...all of which I'm excited about! I do want to try the laundry recipe mamabear. I will follow up when I go that route. -off subject- I have recently started making my own yogurt with a crock pot, super easy and YUM! I should post it in one of the food threads.
11:54 AM Liked: 338
#18 of 21
08-06-2014 | Posts: 545
homemade yogurt is so yummy!! I saw an idea on pinterest for making your own "go-gurt" tubes; all you need is a food saver; which I don't have, but it looked awesome. I haven't made my own yogurt since early this year. I really should make some since summertime is the best temp. in my house to make yogurt, but I just let it sit out on the counter. yum!
momotwo
10:54 PM Liked: 2
#19 of 21
08-21-2014 | Posts: 7
Glad I found this post. My friend (same one who introduced me to this forum) said she bought this bidet sprayer, and said she really likes it. I'm glad to hear others here use bidet/diaper sprayers and love them too. To be honest when my friend told me about it, it was the first time I've heard of them. I think I'm going to buy one.
09:54 AM Liked: 44
#20 of 21
08-22-2014 | Posts: 118
http://www.familyclothwipes.com/

great family-run company I may be ordering from for friends/family that want try to cloth wipe
Usually Curious's Avatar Usually Curious
05:13 AM Liked: 94
#21 of 21
08-26-2014 | Posts: 1,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Merrell View Post
http://www.familyclothwipes.com/

great family-run company I may be ordering from for friends/family that want try to cloth wipe
We've used family cloth and cloth wipes for about five years. I've successfully converted dh and my 8yo. The rest of the family has the option to use tp or cloth. (Have you ever tried to forcibly convert a 17yo boy to family cloth?!) Our friends make fun of us and call themselves environmentalists while they use paper towels, foam plates, and dozens of rolls of tp! Seriously, when we have white elephant gifts, I invariably get a package of wash cloths - hahahaha, everyone laughs. Um, I don't because I love it! And we use them in the bathroom! Suckers!

Anyway, I buy the cheap, large packages of washcloths from WM or Target. They've lasted a good, long time and I don't have to sew (win/win). We have probably 5 dozen in circulation for dipe wipes, family cloth, and mama cloth.

TBH, I don't waste my time with baby washcloths. I find the larger ones much more useful and efficient. My dd uses baby washclothes and squares of fabric, but I like to wipe/fold and use only one cloth. Plus, I am totally anal about how they fold up neatly in the cabinet.
Reply Subscribe November 2014 Due Date Club