Need opinions on safety... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-20-2014, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Need opinions on safety...

So random thought occurred to me today that I would like to get some highlights. I NEVER get my hair done, as it's extremely curly and I'm very particular, I like the natural color, etc.

My question is, is getting highlights safe during pregnancy or no? Is there a difference between safety in regards to coloring and highlighting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-21-2014, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpnmommy2b View Post
So random thought occurred to me today that I would like to get some highlights. I NEVER get my hair done, as it's extremely curly and I'm very particular, I like the natural color, etc.

My question is, is getting highlights safe during pregnancy or no? Is there a difference between safety in regards to coloring and highlighting?
Personally, I feel it depends on where you are at during your pregnancy. My OB wanted me to wait till I passed 18 weeks, but that was when I was talking about use of bleach to go blonder. (I ended up going a dark brown out of pure laziness). You may or may not be able to handle the smell of the chemicals. Also, there is no proof that it will physically or mentally harm your child.
#3 of 6 Old 07-21-2014, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Yeah, some people say to wait until after first trimester, which makes sense to me. I have heard that there is a big difference between highlights and a full dye - highlights don't come in as much contact with your scalp. I can't bring myself to color my (rapidly graying) hair during pregnancy, and even when I was nursing I felt uneasy about it (I have NO real back-up for this - it is me being probably over anxious), but i did discover "organic" hair color (http://www.organiccolorsystems.com/o...ic-hair-color/) at a couple of local salons, and it seems to take out a few of the most worrisome ingredients. The fumes are less, too (and the results are good!).
#4 of 6 Old 07-21-2014, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk209 View Post
Yeah, some people say to wait until after first trimester, which makes sense to me. I have heard that there is a big difference between highlights and a full dye - highlights don't come in as much contact with your scalp. I can't bring myself to color my (rapidly graying) hair during pregnancy, and even when I was nursing I felt uneasy about it (I have NO real back-up for this - it is me being probably over anxious), but i did discover "organic" hair color (http://www.organiccolorsystems.com/o...ic-hair-color/) at a couple of local salons, and it seems to take out a few of the most worrisome ingredients. The fumes are less, too (and the results are good!).
I feel the same way. I've read that it's ok, yet the chemical smell tells me no way! I just think that one year "they" say sure dye your hair while pregnant, then in five years, uh oh, we said it was ok but it really is harmful. I trust my gut and anything that toxic is probably not the best thing to have touching your scalp while pregnant, but that's just me.
#5 of 6 Old 07-21-2014, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I personally would wait. If you don't normally get your hair colored, there's really no reason to introduce those chemicals to your system now.

Mama to a DD, born 5.20.2012

Expecting #2 in Early November 2014!

#6 of 6 Old 07-22-2014, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I colored last week could stand my wisdom highlights. Midwife okayed after 1st tri

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page