Baby's Room - DD sad - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-21-2014, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Baby's Room - DD sad

We cleaned up the baby's room and set up his crib yesterday. We haven't decorated yet, this is just the bare room. We had DD (9) go through her things as we are going to have a sale (she wants to make $). She was having a hard time getting rid of anything saying that he was going to get all the new stuff... so she will just watch him play. While I know she was having her own little pity party, I can only imagine how much her world is changing. She has been our only child for 9 years and now she will have to share are love, time and space. I know she will be an amazing big sister (she reads to him daily now and kisses him good night every night). However, I expect that she will have her moments. I just hope that I have the patience and understanding to help her through them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baby room 1.jpg (115.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Baby Room 2.jpg (107.1 KB, 13 views)

Lynne (35) wife to DH (38) mom to DD (9) ** TTC # 2 since 7/07 ** m/c 6/23/10** 2 Failed IVF rounds... moving forward on adoption; got a SURPRISE BFP EDD 11/17/14 - It's a BOY!
#2 of 8 Old 07-21-2014, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Aww, the room looks sweet already. Maybe you could make a few decorative adjustments to big sister's room to help make her feel special, and while doing so a nice long talk about being a big sister and about how she is feeling?

Breezy married to my sweetie pie David With two beautiful children that love each other very much and a bun in the oven due Nov. 5th, 2014

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

-Benjamin Franklin

#3 of 8 Old 07-21-2014, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Maybe do a project with her for her little brother. I think getting her more involved in the process might help.
#4 of 8 Old 07-21-2014, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
When my daughter was little and I was pregnant for my son, I cried because it wasn't going to be just her anymore. I just wanted to spend as much quality time just her and I before there was a new baby. She wanted a sibling SO bad that she was never worried about sharing her mom and dad. When my son was born, I didn't want her to resent him or have a hard time adjusting. We were extra careful when we were talking about the baby, to say something about/to her (how sweet she was, pretty she looked, how we love her so much, how well behaved she was today... etc). I read allot about bringing in a new baby, and I read books to her about having a new sibling. I would suggest getting her a book about having a new sibling or reading one with her. IDK about your daughter, but my eight yr old plays with baby dolls still. Maybe get her her own "baby" and let her play mom?
I'm SURE as soon as she holds her new brother she'll have NO problems!
BTW the baby room looks great
#5 of 8 Old 07-21-2014, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

I think you are both right. We added a blackboard to her room (she loves toplay school and draw) and bought a new picture that we hung too. I think maybethey forget (as do I) the little things. In retrospect, maybe having her cleanout her things while we focused on his room made her feel forgotten about. Mytiming was not the best! I am just going to have to be extra diligent in makingher feel as special as she is to me.

Lynne (35) wife to DH (38) mom to DD (9) ** TTC # 2 since 7/07 ** m/c 6/23/10** 2 Failed IVF rounds... moving forward on adoption; got a SURPRISE BFP EDD 11/17/14 - It's a BOY!
#6 of 8 Old 07-22-2014, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Also, if she was selling some of her old stuff, won't she be able to use the money on something new for herself? So, she is getting new stuff too.
But I agree with the PPs, try to get her involved in decorating the baby's room, and do something special with her that's about her too...
#7 of 8 Old 07-24-2014, 06:24 AM

We redid DS's room (very cost effectively) before we started working on the nursery. We did a Captain America theme with an American flag over his bed, some comic book metal posters, I bought a cheapo lamp and painted the shade blue with white stars and the base is red, painted his furniture blue, made a curtain to hang under his loft bed to create a hideout (it is red and white stripes) and all of this cost very little since it was DIY. He feels like he has his special space and he is overjoyed to help create a special space for his little sis...Maybe something like this would work for you?
#8 of 8 Old 07-24-2014, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
That sounds so cool. We are doing something similar for my son and daughter. Both of the kids are getting room makeovers, but it will be very cost effective and DIY.

Breezy married to my sweetie pie David With two beautiful children that love each other very much and a bun in the oven due Nov. 5th, 2014

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

-Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page