• 1 Post By missmagoo
  • 2 Post By gypsytrkr
  • 1 Post By Harmony96

#1 of 18 Old 07-30-2014, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thanksgiving

For those of you who have due dates in later November in particular, what are you planning for Thanksgiving? We don't have a lot of family nearby, so usually we either travel by car a few hours or I make dinner, neither of which is going to happen this year.
What are you all thinking? Am I crazy to be worrying about this when we still need a new house, new car, new work situation and to figure out where I'm giving birth ?
#2 of 18 Old 07-30-2014, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
You're not crazy. I'm "technically" due two days afterwards. The game plan is to go to our Reverend's house for Thanksgiving, regardless if Maddy is born or not yet. If I'm pregnant, I want nothing to do with cooking for almost 20 people. If I'm not pregnant and already had her, I'll be too focused on her!

Sarah & DH Alan 

Our angel in heaven, DS Connor 10/2/09 to 10/5/09  
2 pups, 10 cats  and always rescuing more!  RIP Momma Furby </3
Baby #2, a GIRL!, due Nov 29th, 2014  

#3 of 18 Old 07-30-2014, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't think you're crazy, either. I firmly believe that when things are big and overwhelming, sometimes taking a small thing and figuring it out is just what you.need!

I'm due 11/15, but I expect to go late. Most of our family is 2 hours away..... So it seems like playing it by ear is the only option! *if* she's on time or early and *if* I'm comfortable in the car, then we might drive out. If not.... Well, the in laws can manage without us, and my parents might just come visit (it's usually just me, dh + them).
#4 of 18 Old 07-30-2014, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm due 11/18. We usually go to my in-laws or sister-in-laws house. Both live down the road. My family joins us too. I figure I can sit over there super pregnant, or with a baby just as easily as I can sit at home. I won't be expected to do anything, so as long as I'm not actually in labor, or the next day or two, what's the difference?

****5****10****15****20****25*** 30****35****40
#5 of 18 Old 07-30-2014, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I had not thought about it yet. I am due 11/13..and typically go a week early, so it wont be tooooo close to Thanksgiving. Most of MY family is near by so going to their house wont be a deal (although we will be in our new house by then and I would like to host Thanksgiving or Christmas...but it might be a bit ambitious for me to do Thanksgiving right after having a baby....but who knows I grilled for the whole family a few hours after my 3rd child was born..lol).
Outside of my inlaws...most of my dh's family is 8 hours away. We don't always go up there for the holidays....but typically if we have a new baby we do....as most of them don't came down here much....buuuuut this is the latest in the year birth for me yet....so I am not positive what we are doing. Unfortunately my husband's family lives in a place that gets harsh winters.....so we might not make it up this year...especially with a newborn.....and of course I just thought about the idea that we currently don't have a vehicle big enough for the whole crew once the baby is born 0.o
I know if we don't make it up there for the holidays we probably wont until next years holiday season. My husbands gma has been in and out of the hospital a lot lately....so it is probably best that we go see her later this year. I am not scared of traveling with a newborn...as I have many times, and I am not too concerned about the weather as we have a carseat cover....but the car issue might be a deal breaker =S I think the only way it would work is if my in law go up and some of my kids ride with them. Thankfully they will probably go up, so chances are, we will be traveling 8 hrs with a newborn =S
#6 of 18 Old 07-30-2014, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I am due the 20th. I honestly don't know if I'll still be pregnant or holding my newborn this Thanksgiving... My older sister who lives 800 miles away asked if she could come down the week of Thanksgiving, so hopefully she'll help with cooking. I really don't have any plans or ideas yet... I might just be me DH and our kids. If that's the case we will definitely be needing some take out lol
#7 of 18 Old 07-31-2014, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have thought of this too. We are also house searching, however we know we wont be moving till after baby is born. I'm due the 22nd, and I usually cook. For the last two years we had my in-laws (10+people) here and I cooked. I love to cook! They will not be here this year because of a wedding we're all attending the beginning of 2015. Not to say I wouldn't love to see everyone, but I am not going to be in any shape to cook for fifteen people. I have no idea what I'm going to do with my small family and my dad who lives in our area. Maybe we'll go out for Chinese HAHAHA. NOT! I'll just cook a small turkey, a few sides and a pie. I love my traditional holiday celebrations and I love the traditional food
My last two pregnancies, babies came late. DD was due at 41.5 weeks and DS was due at 41 weeks. So I'm thinking I'll get really full from Thanksgiving dinner, then go into labor...HA!!
#8 of 18 Old 07-31-2014, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dad asked me about Thanksgiving today actually. I'm due 11/11, but its my first so I wouldn't be surprised to go late.

The last few Thanksgivings are a blur but I think hubby and I usually have dinner #1 with a friend and his parents, dinner #2 with my husbands parents and sister, and #3 with some of my family (they are kind of spread out so I usually don't get to see everyone). Last year we condensed it to 2 dinners by having his parents come to my dads, which was nice because any visit we make to their house is nearly unbearable and kept as short as possible due to the fact that they smoke inside (we won't be going there pregnant or with a baby!). We run a retail business, so all of this eating is done after probably working 24+ straight hours to prepare for Black Friday, then we sleep a little and get right back to work. So, this year will be MUCH different!

I told my dad today I don't care what the plans are, as long as at some point somebody gives me a plate of food. If he does something at his house and baby isn't super late, I'll probably go. It's only a 10 minute drive. If it ends up being something at my moms or my grandparents, both 40-50 minutes away, I think I'll stay home and request someone bring me food. LOL. I'm impressed by those of you, due even closer to Thanksgiving, who are driving long distances or cooking! I feel compelled to be lazy. Maybe I'm trying to conserve my energy for Christmas.
#9 of 18 Old 08-01-2014, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
As soon as I learned we were due so close to thanksgiving, I made it very clear to all of the family there would be no celebrations at my house until Christmas. This will be the first year in almost a decade that I'm not cooking. I might get the strength and willpower to make a few of my family recipes, but not my usual extravaganza.

I thought everyone would make me feel guilty, but I think they're finally realizing how much this baby is taking a toll on me physically.

I hope everyone else's family also understands their decisions.
#10 of 18 Old 08-01-2014, 02:36 PM

Our tradition is to go to my husband's grandparents house where there are roughly 55 people. Someone always shows up sick with something super contagious! From strep to influenza a to foot and mouth disease! EVERY time! This year we've decided with having a few weeks old baby that we will go earlier in the week to see his grandparents and introduce the baby instead of going to the big celebration. It's just not worth the risk of baby grtting sick and knowing that his family ALWAYS comes sick, I frankly I don't trust them (they don't tell anyone that they are ill until someone spills the beans)!
#11 of 18 Old 08-02-2014, 02:53 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I am due 11/24 and I am consistently 3-4 days overdue, so there is a very real possibility I will be in the hospital on Thanksgiving!

For the last six years (since we moved to MO) we've done it all by ourselves. That's fine, I do most of the cooking and even with just our family that's 12 people. This year, my in-laws and b-i-l and s-i-l and their two kids (14 & 12) are coming up from TX. They are coming to help cook, clean, and entertain my kiddos while I am in the hospital and recovering from birth. We are all looking forward to it. They'll take care of any of the cooking I don't want to do and will do all the cleaning, so I'm not worried. I'm actually looking forward to it! Plus, my b-i-l has an RV, so they won't be at the house with us, which makes it even easier.

I'll make the dressing if I'm able, but that's probably it.

Usually when my f-i-l and b-i-l are here together they get a couple of construction projects done, too. Woot!

I just plan on hiding in my room as much as possible
BlessedOne likes this.
#12 of 18 Old 08-03-2014, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If you're worried about not being able to do anything, maybe make some dishes ahead of time to heat in the oven? I'm sure there's a recipe out there for a thanksgiving inspired casserole. Turkey breast is super easy to roast in the oven, and your DH could do that with your instruction from the couch if needed.

I'm due earlier in November, so our plan is to do a small dinner with just the four of us, and save the big family gathering for Christmas.
Usually Curious likes this.

Mama to a DD, born 5.20.2012

Expecting #2 in Early November 2014!

#13 of 18 Old 08-09-2014, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Usually for Thanksgiving, we've driven up to Kansas to see DH's extended family. I took a partial trip there last year (we had Thanksgiving near Wichita, then the next day, I took Josiah back home while he took the bigger kids on up to Topeka to see more family. I wasn't up for making that much driving). This year I'm due two days beforehand, but usually go late. I'm hoping that I'll be actually birthing on Thanksgiving Day since that is my lost baby's birthday this year, but it will probably end up being later than that. I have no plans yet. We're supposed to be moving next month and I'm trying to get a commitment from my mom to come down and help with dinner. But if not, there's a local lady who I'm sure would love to come and hang out with us. If I cook myself, it would probably just be a small-ish turkey, some green bean casserole, some mashed potatoes, pretzel salad, and maybe a pie or two if I get really adventurous. I'll have access to two full-size refrigerators at the time, so it should be interesting. Possibly DH's parents would come down, too. We'll see.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products 9/1/14! Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#14 of 18 Old 08-09-2014, 09:24 PM

I'm due ON Thanksgiving. I will be ordering Chinese food and relaxing at home with my husband, dog, and maybe my midwife if this one comes as scheduled lol
Usually Curious and mamabear7 like this.
#15 of 18 Old 08-11-2014, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
Usually for Thanksgiving, we've driven up to Kansas to see DH's extended family. I took a partial trip there last year (we had Thanksgiving near Wichita, then the next day, I took Josiah back home while he took the bigger kids on up to Topeka to see more family. I wasn't up for making that much driving). This year I'm due two days beforehand, but usually go late. I'm hoping that I'll be actually birthing on Thanksgiving Day since that is my lost baby's birthday this year, but it will probably end up being later than that. I have no plans yet. We're supposed to be moving next month and I'm trying to get a commitment from my mom to come down and help with dinner. But if not, there's a local lady who I'm sure would love to come and hang out with us. If I cook myself, it would probably just be a small-ish turkey, some green bean casserole, some mashed potatoes, pretzel salad, and maybe a pie or two if I get really adventurous. I'll have access to two full-size refrigerators at the time, so it should be interesting. Possibly DH's parents would come down, too. We'll see.
What is pretzel salad?
#16 of 18 Old 08-11-2014, 08:52 AM

This is Pretzel Salad. It's a "salad" since it has gelatin in it but is more like a dessert nutritionally. But since it's a "salad," we eat it with the rest of the main dishes, and then still have our dessert of pie or whatever later. Growing up, we had this for EVERY Thanksgiving. Then after I got married and started spending T-givings with DH's family, I made this for them, too.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pretzel-Salad/Detail.aspx
Usually Curious likes this.

Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#17 of 18 Old 08-11-2014, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I had the same head scratching moment when I read "pretzel salad" but from the description on that link it sounds pretty amazing!

I like the ideas of precooking some dishes.... Maybe I'll end up doing that The turkey tenderloins are really good in the crock pot, so that's always an option too.

BTW Harmony, I hope you give birth on Thanksgiving, how awesome and healing that would be!
#18 of 18 Old 08-11-2014, 07:45 PM

Oh, it's so good. And it's not super rich either (like some desserts where you just take a bite and then are all, "Okay, I'm done.") so you can eat a reasonable portion and savor the flavor for longer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page