• 1 Post By Autumnlaughing
  • 1 Post By Usually Curious
  • 2 Post By BlessedOne

#1 of 17 Old 08-03-2014, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Feeling accomplished today ...

I haven't spent the day sewing in a very long time. In fact, my 17yo said he can't remember the last time he'd seen me sew! I made two DIY maternity dresses today, cut the strips out for my quilt, and got the crib skirt about 50% finished. It's ruffles, so it takes a lot of prep work. I've got to buy more fabric when I go into town on Tuesday otherwise I'd probably have the front of the quilt finished, too!

My back is killing me, but at least now I have a couple of outfits that fit! I've got two more dresses to make, but I need to buy a different color thread.

If anyone has basic sewing skills there are tons of DIY maternity clothes ideas on Pinterest. I just bought a $6 tee at Target, cut off the bottom, and sewed on a gathered skirt (free fabric I already had) to make a maxi-dress. The first one took only 15 minutes! The second took a little longer because I messed up and had to rip out a seam.
Momma2Merrell likes this.
#2 of 17 Old 08-04-2014, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
That sounds awesome! I have been crocheting like a maniac; have a hat, mary-jane style booties, and matching gloves for the baby and am currently working on a baby "cocoon". It feels good to be making necessities.

Breezy married to my sweetie pie David With two beautiful children that love each other very much and a bun in the oven due Nov. 5th, 2014

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

-Benjamin Franklin

#3 of 17 Old 08-04-2014, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
sounds like nesting is hitting..lol
I unfortunately don't have THAT much impressive stuff to say that I did....but I did organize a cabinet today...lol...and am working on one load of laundry..lol
In my defense, I have been mentally wearing myself out as are in the process of buying a new home.....so I have been on the phone constantly with the bank, real estate agent and calling for insurance quotes and also finding out what our utilities will be. And yesterday, my mom took the kids out and I out shopping for several HOURS! I am thankful but man, I was in major discomfort and could barely sleep last night because of it.
Usually Curious likes this.
#4 of 17 Old 08-04-2014, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I started some yarn crafts for baby Tp keep myself out of trouble - first it was socks, now a small afghan (mostly to put between the baby and the floor - we''re not sure if that's for the floor's sake or the baby's!)

Next I'm thinking hats for a few other little ones I know...
#5 of 17 Old 08-04-2014, 04:27 PM

You guys are definitely inspiring! My nesting tends to be more cleaning (which is good because it is needed...lol).
#6 of 17 Old 08-04-2014, 06:51 PM

I need to start my cleaning aspect of nesting, crafting is just the fun part hehe

Breezy married to my sweetie pie David With two beautiful children that love each other very much and a bun in the oven due Nov. 5th, 2014

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

-Benjamin Franklin

#7 of 17 Old 08-05-2014, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
My nesting has been cleaning and organization! Today one of my MILs and I are going to see what we can find at Goodwills and consignment shops to make this place more organized. And on Thursday, we get our crib, changing table, and rocking chair! A neighbor a street away was selling her set (same one we registered for) for $75 at her tag sale over the weekend! So once her daughter's new bed arrives on Thursday, we get the furniture! Hubby is happy he doesn't have to pay over $700 for everything, or find cheap furniture and repair it (he lacks the time lately). So my nursery "nesting" has kicked in full force.

I'm jealous of you knitting ladies. I tried with a few books and youtube videos, and failed. I enlisted a good friend of mine's skills, but she's showed me nothing that she claims she's done so far.

Sarah & DH Alan 

Our angel in heaven, DS Connor 10/2/09 to 10/5/09  
2 pups, 10 cats  and always rescuing more!  RIP Momma Furby </3
Baby #2, a GIRL!, due Nov 29th, 2014  

#8 of 17 Old 08-05-2014, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne View Post
sounds like nesting is hitting..lol
I unfortunately don't have THAT much impressive stuff to say that I did....but I did organize a cabinet today...lol...and am working on one load of laundry..lol
In my defense, I have been mentally wearing myself out as are in the process of buying a new home.....so I have been on the phone constantly with the bank, real estate agent and calling for insurance quotes and also finding out what our utilities will be. And yesterday, my mom took the kids out and I out shopping for several HOURS! I am thankful but man, I was in major discomfort and could barely sleep last night because of it.
Ouch. IKWYM, I feel that way now. My oldest dd and I have started trading off babysitting one day every couple of weeks for a day of errands or fun in town. Today was my day and I am in so much pain!

Quote:
You guys are definitely inspiring! My nesting tends to be more cleaning (which is good because it is needed...lol).
Oh, cleaning is definitely needed around here, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwolf092087 View Post
My nesting has been cleaning and organization! Today one of my MILs and I are going to see what we can find at Goodwills and consignment shops to make this place more organized. And on Thursday, we get our crib, changing table, and rocking chair! A neighbor a street away was selling her set (same one we registered for) for $75 at her tag sale over the weekend! So once her daughter's new bed arrives on Thursday, we get the furniture! Hubby is happy he doesn't have to pay over $700 for everything, or find cheap furniture and repair it (he lacks the time lately). So my nursery "nesting" has kicked in full force.

I'm jealous of you knitting ladies. I tried with a few books and youtube videos, and failed. I enlisted a good friend of mine's skills, but she's showed me nothing that she claims she's done so far.
THAT is a steal of a deal! Congrats!
mamabear7 likes this.
#9 of 17 Old 08-05-2014, 06:01 PM

talking about feeling accomplished, I got my kid's school supplies, unwrapped, initialed, and packed into their backpacks ready to go. Now we just need to get them registered on Thursday. I can't believe the summer is almost over... and my littlest guy starts 4K this year... so sad to see him go, but I will be able to get a lot done in preparation of the baby while they are at school.

-Benjamin Franklin

#10 of 17 Old 08-05-2014, 07:07 PM

I think my daughter has been surrogate nesting...lol
She has been cleaning like crazy today! She finished rearranging most of the other cabinets and the pantry. I am so thankful for her! I helped her a little, but she did most of it....and when I tried to help she got irritated at me and said that she liked doing it and wanted to do it!
I got a load of laundry done....but still have 3 more to go.
I haven't been focused on cleaning tooooo much because we are going to be moving over the next month...so I want to focus that cleaning towards the new house. Hopefully nesting kicks in right on time...lol...because outside of moving I will have two houses to clean....one before we get in it and one after we leave! lol
badwolf092087 likes this.
#11 of 17 Old 08-06-2014, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear7 View Post
talking about feeling accomplished, I got my kid's school supplies, unwrapped, initialed, and packed into their backpacks ready to go. Now we just need to get them registered on Thursday. I can't believe the summer is almost over... and my littlest guy starts 4K this year... so sad to see him go, but I will be able to get a lot done in preparation of the baby while they are at school.
I got my kids' school supplies done on Sunday. I'm so glad! This is only the second year I've had them in school. Before this we homeschooled.

Quote:
I think my daughter has been surrogate nesting...lol
She has been cleaning like crazy today! She finished rearranging most of the other cabinets and the pantry. I am so thankful for her! I helped her a little, but she did most of it....and when I tried to help she got irritated at me and said that she liked doing it and wanted to do it!
I got a load of laundry done....but still have 3 more to go.
I haven't been focused on cleaning tooooo much because we are going to be moving over the next month...so I want to focus that cleaning towards the new house. Hopefully nesting kicks in right on time...lol...because outside of moving I will have two houses to clean....one before we get in it and one after we leave! lol
Maybe you can host a cleaning party for you family and friends at the old house. Seriously, recruit some help! The last time we moved I was sick for two weeks afterwards from the stress!
#12 of 17 Old 08-06-2014, 01:34 PM

Yes, thankfully man friends have offered their help and of course my daughter is biting at the bit to clean! lol
I know that my wanting to clean can be powerful....but it is whether or not my body can actually keep up! lol
#13 of 17 Old 08-06-2014, 09:00 PM

Parts of my house need serious cleaning, buty body can't keep up, either cleaning sinks/counters/dishes works ok, but I have no idea how I'll clean the shower curtains! And mopping/sweeping and I aren't getting along... That's why I started the craft projects- to keep me from injuring myself!
#14 of 17 Old 08-07-2014, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnlaughing View Post
Parts of my house need serious cleaning, buty body can't keep up, either cleaning sinks/counters/dishes works ok, but I have no idea how I'll clean the shower curtains! And mopping/sweeping and I aren't getting along... That's why I started the craft projects- to keep me from injuring myself!
I occasionally was my shower curtain liners in the washer on a full load with bleach. That gets any mildew off with no effort on my part. Then, I just hang them up again to drip dry in the tub.
mamabear7 likes this.
#15 of 17 Old 08-08-2014, 10:04 AM

That's how I usually clean them, but I've.been having trouble getting them down & back up again. I think that I just need to do it from inside the tub. We also have a claw foot tub, which means that we have 2.5 curtains - and the "back" one is against a wall, do it actually needs to be dry.
#16 of 17 Old 08-08-2014, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnlaughing View Post
That's how I usually clean them, but I've.been having trouble getting them down & back up again. I think that I just need to do it from inside the tub. We also have a claw foot tub, which means that we have 2.5 curtains - and the "back" one is against a wall, do it actually needs to be dry.
Ugh.
#17 of 17 Old 08-12-2014, 03:24 PM

Well not that a lot of cleaning has happened, but a lot of packing has =S My house is in shambles and even though it is annoying somewhat, it somewhat comforting knowing that we will be moving soon. I am trying to do everything we can to be prepared. =)
Usually Curious and mamabear7 like this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page