Mothering Forum banner

Must haves for #2?

1K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  mamabear7 
#1 ·
For those on second (or beyond) babies, what items are you getting this time around?

I'm getting newborn sized cloth diapers(I had delusions the first time my baby would be a nine pounder and in one size dipes quickly- nope my DD was under six!)
A milkies milk catcher (sil has one of these, and they are brilliant)
Some more glass bottles to store milk instead of storage bags
And....

Not sure what else! I feel like there are things I wanted last time around, and did without, and now of course I don't remember what they were.

My friends want to throw me a shower, so I want to take advantage of the chance to update my registry, but I'm totally blanking.

#2 ·
so cool, I just watched a video on the milkies milk saver. What a fabulous idea! I always felt like the leakage was a horrible waste.
The milkies website has a really neat product... the milky freeze, that stores up to 60 oz. of breastmilk (in bags though), in a very neat organized manner. It is $30, but so cool. But if you don't like to use the plastic bags it isn't what you are looking for. Worth taking a peak though!

This post has been deleted
#4 ·
I'm on #5 , and getting a few receiving blankets and a warm snuggley blanket or 2. I think I'm going to get one of those hammock things mamabear posted a link to in a different thread. The cozy car seat cover. Probably one of those grooming kits (I have no clue where the little tiny comb and brush are.. And my babies always have a headful of hair)

Reactions: mamabear7
#5 ·
So far just clothes (different sex) and trying to thimk of a sleep solution. I coslept with DD. At the time it was great because DH was a long haul truck driver and only slept in the bed once or twice a week. Now he is home every night and our bed isn't big enough for all of us. We will probably sidecar the crib...but still aren't sure.

#6 ·
@marilyn612 since cosleeping isn't an option in my household (hubby takes up 2/3 of a king sized bed because of how much he tosses and turns), I have a cradle to put next to the bed. We still have a crib in the nursery as well. Maybe you could look into that as an option?

Before anyone asks- DH's sleep issue can't be fixed without major surgery that would put him out of business. His shoulder needs hefty surgery, and he's a contractor. So he is trying to survive as long as he can before forcing himself into early retirement from what he loves to do.

#7 ·
Hi badwolf. I am considering a cradle. The issue that led to cosleeping last time was me falling asleep while nursing and waking up a few times almost falling out of the chair with baby or basically folded over baby. We started the cosleeping so i could lie down and nurse at night....sorry I should have said that earlier! I am in ontario where you don't seem to be able to by sidecar cosleepers. I think we will end up sidecaring the crib...not 100% sold on the idea.

P.s. We don't have a spare room (or nursery!) to set up a second bed and aski g dh to sleep on couch is not an option ;)

#10 ·
I've totally tried asking DH to sleep on the couch. Doesn't ever work, lol.

It's quite alright that you left out the detail. We all do sometimes. Have you thought of ordering off of amazon.com and getting the sidecar one that way? Though the pack n play idea is a brilliant one!

#14 ·
Here's the link to the one we are getting. I would use the one from my first, but I gave it to a family member and who knows what they did with it..

http://www.toysrus.com/product/inde...957.2273443.2255983.3225353&parentPage=family

They come in different styles and varieties and prices, and I'm partial to Graco. If you can go into a store and see how comfortable you feel with them, that's what I'd recommend.

#13 ·
It only took about 2-3 days! I was shocked by how quickly it arrived. I know it is so hard to decide which one to pick they are all so beautiful. They will also custom make one for you. If you email Patricia (the owner) she will tell you about a local fabric store that you can shop online and have the fabric shipped to her. They are $80 if you custom order the fabric.

#16 ·
Hey Usually Curious, if you are interested in baby hammocks, you should check out this website...
http://specialdeliverybabyhammock.com/main/index

the link badwolf had was for a pack and play; which looked really awesome, but not a hammock...

This is a small company out of Hawaii; the hammocks are designed by a physician/midwife/grandmother and her daughters. They are all beautifully handcrafted and the owner Patricia is wonderful. She responded to every email I sent within a few hours of sending them and answered all of my questions fully and thoroughly with so much kindness added in. I received my hammock a couple weeks ago and it is extremely well made, plus it only took three days to ship from Hawaii!

#17 ·
I'm on baby #3 and I purchased a rock n play bc someone let me borrow one with my second baby and it worked great! I can just put it next to the bed and when baby starts to stir I can gently rock it. Plus I can take it anywhere and move it around the house! Baby's seem to sleep well in it bc it's in an incline.
Also I purchased a double stroller bc baby 2 and baby 3 will only be two years apart.
I had to get a new car seat bc mine was expired.
Also I got a new swing bc my babies have always loved napping in them and I sold mine in a mom to mom
Sale after baby 2 bc I just didn't have the room to store it.
I'll need more crib sheets once baby 3 moves to a crib bc then baby2 will move to a toddler bed which also takes crib sheets. I was thinking I need some more burp clothes and receiving blankets. Can you believe I still have the same burp clothes from baby 1 who is 5? Lol I can't believe they have survived through two babies.
Also I'm going to purchase a second changing pad to put on the dresser in the nursery. Then I will put the changing table in the living room. Baby2 and baby 3 will have there belongings in a shared room so having two changing tables will be nice and baby2 will still be in diapers too.

#18 ·
Despite showing my husband all the reasons why car seats expire, he won't take those for answers! Our car seat expires when Maddy when (theoretically) be 2 months old. I put the stroller/car seat combo as a priority on our registry, and then a bunch of clothes we approve of as well as diapers, receiving blankets, bouncing seat, etc. Even if people don't purchase most of the items, anything we actually still want after the shower, we will have a coupon to get 25% off of. I understand why things expire, but getting it through his skull isn't easy.

#24 ·
yeah, I consider 45 to be middle aged, but I plan on living till at least 95

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.