Pain management tips for labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

Old 08-10-2014, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pain management tips for labor

Hey, who has some helpful pain management tips? This will be my third natural birth but first home birth. I took the Bradley classes 7 years ago when pregnant with my son and I read a lot of birthing books. Thought it would be nice to hear from some real mommas on what worked best for you. Guess I'm feeling slightly anxious about it lately. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2014, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Have you read Childbirth Without Fear by Dr. Grantly Dick-Read? I read it while pregnant with my first child and it deeply impacted how I labor. It's an excellent read on the connection between fear and pain. I'm not too familiar with Bradley, but I've read mixed reviews on it.

It should be easier for you to really relax at home. That will help for sure!
Old 08-11-2014, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
My first natural labor at the hospital was horrible; I was young and terrified and my nurses hated me for not getting an epidural. I also had Pitocin since I was 12 days late. I had no idea how to deal with the pain and that made it so much worse. My second labor, was great. I had this wonderful nurse who told me to focus on relaxing just one body part each contraction and to think of nothing but that. For some reason or the other I chose my right shoulder; I would focus on nothing but relaxing that shoulder until the contraction passed and it worked beautifully. It really was just a way not to focus on the pain, and the more relaxed you are the quicker you dilate. This time around we will be at home and doing a waterbirth; I will also be using this method of relaxation. I also am feeling a bit anxious about childbirth, but it is so worth it in the end.

Breezy married to my sweetie pie David With two beautiful children that love each other very much and a bun in the oven due Nov. 5th, 2014

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

-Benjamin Franklin

Old 08-11-2014, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
The counter pressure really helped me a lot, although your back may be sore afterwards or the next day. Also focusing on something positive helps me too, like last time, it was, "I am fearfully and wonderfully made." It reminded me that I am created to do this. I am wonderfully capable of this!
Old 08-11-2014, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
One thing I read recently that really resonated with me was to focus on releasing tension, rather than trying to relax during contractions. So how you release tension is up to you- it might be yelling, hitting a pillow, a rhythmic movement, counting your breath, etc. I was not able to relax during tough contractions with my daughter- the hypnobirthing thing just did not wrk for me, so the idea of doing what I need to to release tension during contractions, and focusing on relaxing between them, was really helpful for me.

Mama to a DD, born 5.20.2012

Expecting #2 in Early November 2014!

Old 08-12-2014, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!! All good advice! My last baby (#2) was born pretty quickly. I was in transition in the car. Got to the hospital in excruciating pain and had her soon after. No time to think about what was happening or relaxing. Nurses were asking me my ss # while I could barely speak. I guess it was a little traumatizing. Thanks for the advice. I'm going to get that book
Old 08-12-2014, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I like the idea of releasing tension however it works best for you. For me it was moaning...that birthing moan that is like an elephant or cow noise or something. And also just breathing and relaxing. That being said, I did listen to the HypnoBabies CDs prior to my labors and I found them SO helpful. Also- the birth tub!
Old 08-12-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear7 View Post
My first natural labor at the hospital was horrible; I was young and terrified and my nurses hated me for not getting an epidural. I also had Pitocin since I was 12 days late. I had no idea how to deal with the pain and that made it so much worse. My second labor, was great. I had this wonderful nurse who told me to focus on relaxing just one body part each contraction and to think of nothing but that. For some reason or the other I chose my right shoulder; I would focus on nothing but relaxing that shoulder until the contraction passed and it worked beautifully. It really was just a way not to focus on the pain, and the more relaxed you are the quicker you dilate. This time around we will be at home and doing a waterbirth; I will also be using this method of relaxation. I also am feeling a bit anxious about childbirth, but it is so worth it in the end.
Wow. A pitocin labor without meds?! I'm impressed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salr View Post
I like the idea of releasing tension however it works best for you. For me it was moaning...that birthing moan that is like an elephant or cow noise or something. And also just breathing and relaxing. That being said, I did listen to the HypnoBabies CDs prior to my labors and I found them SO helpful. Also- the birth tub!
Ina May Gaskin talks alot about low moaning like a cow. That is one thing I've always kept in mind when I am vocalizing during transition or pushing. Keep it low and throaty!
Old 08-12-2014, 12:35 PM

thank you Usually Curious! I'm sure it was not pretty, lol.

Breezy married to my sweetie pie David With two beautiful children that love each other very much and a bun in the oven due Nov. 5th, 2014

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

-Benjamin Franklin

Old 08-12-2014, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I had a very fast labor with my first (about 3 hours between start of labor pains and when she was born), and the only thing that I could think of in the moment and that worked was the loud, very low moaning, along with hip swinging/loosening. Every other attempt at relaxation (we had done some hypnobirthing in advance, and my husband tried some of the recommended methods) just aggravated me.
As an aside, I wanted to start moaning from the very beginning of my labor, but since I thought I was in for hours (days?) of it and it was the only thing I could think of to relive the pain, I didn't want to start too soon . I held out for about 40 minutes, and then had to start and it felt soooo good.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I like hot wet towels on my body. That with the water helps.
With my first (only hospital birth), they were telling me how to breathe. The traditional "he, he, he, who". I remember that helped me because I had to focus on how many hes I said. I remember being surprised that it was 3 not two like I had thought...lol. I oddly enough never used that for any of my other births though. I am not sure why =S I will say it did get my focus on something other than the pain.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk209 View Post
I had a very fast labor with my first (about 3 hours between start of labor pains and when she was born), and the only thing that I could think of in the moment and that worked was the loud, very low moaning, along with hip swinging/loosening. Every other attempt at relaxation (we had done some hypnobirthing in advance, and my husband tried some of the recommended methods) just aggravated me.
As an aside, I wanted to start moaning from the very beginning of my labor, but since I thought I was in for hours (days?) of it and it was the only thing I could think of to relive the pain, I didn't want to start too soon . I held out for about 40 minutes, and then had to start and it felt soooo good.
That's because you started in transition, I bet!
Old 08-12-2014, 07:34 PM

oh my goodness! I didn't know that you could start in transition?

-Benjamin Franklin

Old 08-13-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
oh my goodness! I didn't know that you could start in transition?
Well, you don't really. You just don't feel the labor up to that point. It happens a lot with 'fast' labors, especially with subsequent children. I've only known one or two people that were like that with first labors.

My s-i-l had 45 minute labors. Ack!! My mom rode in the backseat with her on the way to the hospital just in case
Old 08-13-2014, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Yeah - I've been pondering this recently since I'm headed into another labor, and wondering if I wasn't feeling what was already going on, or if it just happened really quickly. My contractions started at 3 minutes apart at 2AM (I had felt one single contraction at midnight, but that was the only contraction I felt before 2AM), and by the time we got to the birth center at 4:50 I was at 7cm. I had one more contraction which broke my water, brought me to 10cm and started my body pushing without my input. She was born at 5:11. They say with twins you sometimes don't feel early contractions because your uterus is so stretched out, so I'm worried it will be even faster this time. That makes me very nervous - particularly since the hospital we're planning on is about 40 minutes away.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk209 View Post
Yeah - I've been pondering this recently since I'm headed into another labor, and wondering if I wasn't feeling what was already going on, or if it just happened really quickly. My contractions started at 3 minutes apart at 2AM (I had felt one single contraction at midnight, but that was the only contraction I felt before 2AM), and by the time we got to the birth center at 4:50 I was at 7cm. I had one more contraction which broke my water, brought me to 10cm and started my body pushing without my input. She was born at 5:11. They say with twins you sometimes don't feel early contractions because your uterus is so stretched out, so I'm worried it will be even faster this time. That makes me very nervous - particularly since the hospital we're planning on is about 40 minutes away.
I think I'd be concerned, too, just not fixated on it. So what if you have to go one or two times for false alarms. It's better to be safe than sorry!
Old 08-13-2014, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I also labored that way with my second. Pit, but no pain meds, not pretty and definetly harder.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:14 PM

I personally wouldn't be too concerned. All labors are different, even between the same lady!
My 4th was my fastest at just under 3 hours from very first indication that something was happening....which was my water breaking. Contrax started about an hour or so later. Contrax didn't start getting really strong for quite a while later. But my following labor was more than double the length of the previous. My 3rd was an hour longer than my 2nd. So it can really vary =)
Old 08-13-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne View Post
I personally wouldn't be too concerned. All labors are different, even between the same lady!
My 4th was my fastest at just under 3 hours from very first indication that something was happening....which was my water breaking. Contrax started about an hour or so later. Contrax didn't start getting really strong for quite a while later. But my following labor was more than double the length of the previous. My 3rd was an hour longer than my 2nd. So it can really vary =)
Yes, but mine have been 12 hours, 6 hours, 3 hours, 3 hours, 3 hours, 3 hours, 3 hours. It is possible that she may have another quick labor. It is something to be aware of.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:53 PM

Oh of course there is a possibility =)
I am just saying that it is not a for sure. =) Obviously it would be best prepared in case it did happen that way =)
Old 08-14-2014, 12:56 PM

Mine where 24 hours, 6 hours, 7 hours, a little less than 3 hours, over 9 hours.
I anticipate that this one will be super quick though =)
Old 08-18-2014, 06:56 PM

Well, since I just did this last week.... (Little boy born 8/11 8lbs 3 oz 13 hours from start to finish)

What got me through to transition- breathing deeply in and out. At the start of each contraction I would say to myself "I am safe. I can do anything for a minute".

Transition- shower, then birthing tub, then screaming and pushing like hell to get him out lol

It all still hurt, but it was manageable until the very end and that part was short.

To all of you still waiting - best of luck and congrats to those whose babies have arrived.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
something that helped me was to use the contractions as a starting point for visualization. with each one, i imagned my cervix opening, and the baby moving down, bit by bit. i sat and rocked on the birthing ball, trying to help the process along.

User Tag List