Mothering Forum banner

Brewer's Diet

690 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  missmagoo 
#1 ·
Is anyone doing this? I am not, but am really interested - particularly since I have heard that it does help you go full-term with twins, and can be particularly important in the third trimester.
My biggest concern (brewer or not) is getting enough protein, since I am usually vegetarian, and that's a biggie that I somehow didn't know about in my first pregnancy.

#3 ·
Hi! I am from the Dec. due date club, but I really like reading the Nov. threads and I want to share my experience with this particular diet. I followed the Brewer Diet after two pregnancies with PIH (Pregnancy Induced Hypertension) and I have not had a problem with PIH again in my three subsequent pregnancies. I love the diet. The logic makes so much sense to me! While not vegetarian, I eat very little meat and I found that lintels, eggs, beans, yogurt, hummus, nuts, buckwheat and quinoa all help fill in the protein. When I calculated the protein amounts from bread, rice, oatmeal, potato and other things I ate, I was surprised that I could reach the recommended grams each day. I found that eating the green leafy vegetables and fruit with vitamin C were especially important for me as well. I had a magnesium deficiency and iron issues. It's a great all around diet! I really recommend following it during pregnancy.

#4 ·
I mostly followed it with my first pregnancy, but did not this time around since we are now paleo. It's funny because I was going to say that you need to be careful with it, since it is possible to overdo protein during pregnancy, but if you're vegetarian that's definitely not an issue for you! Third tri is the time to boost your seafood consumption anyway because of the brain growth and development that's happening now, so maybe focus there to up your protein.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.