Mothering Forum banner

Tired and my kids are dropping (sick) like flies!

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  3lilchunklins 
#1 ·
I'm so tired. My 2yo has been restless at night due to illness since last Thursday. I took him to the doc and he thinks he has Hand, Foot and Mouth with a secondary (possibly) staph infection in his diaper area. He said HF & M is going around locally. He just got his first spots on his hand and foot today, but has had a nasty diaper rash since Friday. He had high fever all day on Friday, but it broke Saturday mid-day. Apparently, that's how HF & M starts and the diaper rash is coincidental. Ugh.

While still at the doctor's office, the nurse from the school called. My pre-Ker was in her office with a 100.2 fever. While that's not too high, it's above their 100 limit. Too coincidental to me! I told her what the doc suspected when I picked him up. I'm really hoping he didn't expose his entire class this morning!

IDK how my 2yo was exposed first?! He doesn't go to daycare or anything.

I don't think HF & M is dangerous for me or the baby, but I'm taking Grapefruit Seed Extract in OJ and hand washing A LOT. I'm going to start the big boys on OJ and GSE when they get home from school.

Ugh.

See less See more
#2 ·
Same here! My 9 year old is the one that brought it home actually. She just had bad sores in mouth and itchy spots on palms and soles of feet. Then last night my 3 year old came down with high fever and vomiting and complains his mouth hurts. So I am wondering if that's what he has. His feet are itchy but i can't see spots yet. It is very contagious but neither hubby nor myself caught it. Ugh is right! Hope your family heals up soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Same here! My 9 year old is the one that brought it home actually. She just had bad sores in mouth and itchy spots on palms and soles of feet. Then last night my 3 year old came down with high fever and vomiting and complains his mouth hurts. So I am wondering if that's what he has. His feet are itchy but i can't see spots yet. It is very contagious but neither hubby nor myself caught it. Ugh is right! Hope your family heals up soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dislike! At 1pm, the school nurse for my 2nd grader called. She said who it was and I said, "Noooooooo!!!" She just laughed. So, yeah, he's at home with a fever also. She called my 1st grader's nurse and she checked his temp. It's fine, thank goodness!

I babysit my two grandsons on Tue/Thurs. for my oldest dd's college classes. IDK is she's got the nerve to bring them over.

#4 ·
Pools and spray grounds are prime breeding area of Coxsackie virus (hand, foot and mouth disease). Summer time is when it is likely to occur. The feces carries it since it lives in the GI tract, so water is an easy way to spread it around. Do the children have exposure to water activities?

#5 ·
Hmmm, we haven't been to the spray park since July and the last pool we went to was Aug. 10th. I really have no idea.

I'm not 100% convinced it's HF & M. It may just be viral with the few spots coincidental. My 2yo had a bad diaper rash that has developed a secondary (suspected staph) infection. Staph looks like spots, too. I guess we'll see if the other boys develop a rash ...

My 1st grader is still okay. A little warm w/a headache, though. Everybody is staying home tomorrow one way or another!

#7 ·
Four fever-free boys! The baby's spots are almost gone and his staph diaper rash is much, much better. Only one of the bigger boys has spots on his feet and a sore throat and they're mild. I think the Grapefruit Seed Extract shots are shortening the duration and easing the symptoms!

Considering what I've read about HF & M, I'm feeling very blessed to escape with such light cases!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.