Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   November 2014 Due Date Club (http://www.mothering.com/forum/17556-november-2014-due-date-club/)
-   -   Hypno-birthing books/cds (http://www.mothering.com/forum/17556-november-2014-due-date-club/1446177-hypno-birthing-books-cds.html)

naturesbabies 09-02-2014 04:43 PM

Hypno-birthing books/cds

I posted in the homebirth forum as well, but I will post here with all of you mamas, also. I am looking for books/cds that will teach me all I need to know about hypno-birthing. I can't take any classes so I need something that I can learn as much as possible from. There are so many options on Amazon and a couple of them I'm debating between but I would like to see what you all have to say. Thank you :)

missmagoo 09-03-2014 09:55 AM

I read the Mongan method, and did some UK based CDs, and I have to say hypnobirthing was not for me at all. I'm a very physical person, and to try and relax completely through contractions just didn't work for me, and made me feel like I was doing something wrong. I know some people love it, but I just wanted to throw out there that it doesn't work for everyone. I guess I'm one of those people that needs to embrace the serious pain and 'work' during labor. I

naturesbabies 09-03-2014 12:48 PM

I know every birth experience is different and I don't have complete and total faith in this method, but I want to try. I was pretty relaxed while in labor with my daughter and I am thinking that if I had studied/practiced at least some hypnobirthing, it would have been great with her. So, I'm going to give it a go :)

Casmira 09-03-2014 06:48 PM

I just finished taking a hypnobirthing class. While I don't see myself blocking out the pain, I do hope it helps me to relax. From everything I've read and heard, being calm and relaxed is the best thing you can do to make things go smoothly. Sorry, I don't have any book suggestions, but I am on board with you naturesbabies!

Momma2Merrell 09-04-2014 07:26 AM

I don't have any recommendations, however, I'd really like to try this method as well. Being able to relax while in pain is the key and whatever "tool" I can have available to use the better. I saw a few videos on youtube and I've read some stuff online. Chances are I will not be taking a class, but I'm curious to hear if anyone has any book recommendations.

salr 09-04-2014 08:14 AM

Pretty sure I answered in the other thread, but HypnoBabies helped me. It helped me relax and was something I could do either on my own or with a partner. I have heard criticism of Hypnobirthing that it does not encourage moving (no idea if that's the case or not) but Hypnobabies worked well with me moving however I wanted.

The materials that come with the home study course might help some people, but for me it was the CDs that were helpful. Just listening to them as I fell asleep.

mrsprice 09-04-2014 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salr (Post 17982138)
Pretty sure I answered in the other thread, but HypnoBabies helped me. It helped me relax and was something I could do either on my own or with a partner. I have heard criticism of Hypnobirthing that it does not encourage moving (no idea if that's the case or not) but Hypnobabies worked well with me moving however I wanted.

The materials that come with the home study course might help some people, but for me it was the CDs that were helpful. Just listening to them as I fell asleep.

Hi! My first post in the forums, I am looking for recommended CD's/audio as well (not an actual class). I am having my third baby but it has been 8 1/2 years since my last :) I used hypnobirth with my last. What I really found it useful for was the beginning of labor, I was able to stay totally relaxed and even sleep which I think helped me have a very quick birth. It is true when I got towards transition, I didn't want to listen to any CD's, but the visualizations I learned really helped me through that. I had to move during contractions (I think it was called the "doula hula") or use my exercise ball.

Anyway, I remember at the time there was really only hypnobabies and it was quite expensive but I had found a program on ebay that was much more affordable. Just wanted to see if there are any new recommendations.