Mothering Forum banner

Contractions!

2K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  3lilchunklins 
#1 ·
I have finally started counting my contractions and they aren't quite as sporadic as I thought... every 10-15 minutes lasting about a minute long. Whew, starting to get a bit uncomfortable feeling. They wrap around my tummy and into my butt. Thank goodness I finished up shopping for all of my homebirth supplies last Saturday! I am feeling like I've got two weeks very tops! I can't believe it is so close.

Anyone else?

Reactions: rainbowcookie
#4 ·
Oh wow! :D

I get a lot of BH but no pattern. I have been getting menstrual cramps pretty regularly over the past week, though. I'm 36 weeks today. This is my last week of work, (at least that's the plan!) and I have a ton of loose ends to tie up with that, and the crampiness is giving me a little more of a push to hurry up and get all that done. After that I'll just be focusing on getting ready for baby, which is really just a handful of little things, the main thing being a test run with the birth pool. I can't believe we're this far already!

Keep us posted!!

#5 ·
Me too. They are kind of between BH and the real deal, but I did this for about 5 weeks when I was pregnant with my daughter. Annoying, but at least I'm more relaxed about it this time. Mine are timeable, but they only last for an hour or two, and like yours they are 10-15 min apart.

#6 ·
I've been having them too...a bit more sporadic....usually in the evenings for a couple of hours....but nothing time-able. I had contractions every night for 3 weeks before my 2nd son was born. I am technically 38 weeks today (!!!) but don't expect baby early, as my earliest so far was 8 days late, lol....

I am starting to nest a little more as I realize this little one will be here sooner than I think!

#8 ·
I am 37 weeks today, due November 5th. This is the first day in a week that they almost halted to a stop. I had maybe 3-4 throughout the day and this evening they picked back up only a little bit more intense feeling. I am guessing this will go on for another two weeks. I haven't had any telltale signs of labor starting soon, so I'll just hang in there and wait to see what happens. My daughter was 12 days late and my son was 12 days early. I never had any contractions with either of them until it was real labor time. With my daughter my water broke then the contractions started a few hours later. With my son; contractions started a couple days before he was born. So hopefully, my body is just being super efficient this time around.

Reactions: missmagoo
#10 ·
I know, it does feel very fast! I can't believe how my body is preparing this time around. I woke up a few times last night to contractions and they started up right away this morning as I was getting the kids up for bed.

Reactions: Usually Curious
#11 ·
Wow, mamabear! Sounds like you're getting close. I'm 37 weeks tomorrow (due 11/7), and my MW is on vacation until 11/1, so I'm really hoping I don't go early and have to use the backup MW. I don't like hearing that your kids were so different in how early/late they were- I've been counting on this LO being late because my daughter was late, but I guess it's all up in the air!

How are you measuring, and how did you measure with your child who was early vs. your child who was late? I'm curious because I measured small with my first pregnancy, and with this one as well, I've been assuming that means I won't go early.

#12 ·
I think last night I might have lost a tiny bit of plug. I am not concerned, I know there is a ton more in there and it replenishes itself =S
I typically go early....anywhere from a few days to week....so it could be the first week of Nov for me (providing my first u/s dated right). I want to get another, but don't know if I can get in before the baby comes! I was pretty small until about a couple of weeks ago and boom...I gained 10 lbs in one week! Now I definitely look A LOT bigger...but not really sure if it means anything or not.
I have been feeling a ton of baby movement...especially at night. I really don't like when he/she claws me! I joke that I have a baby cougar in there!
I am in the process of moving, so I really hope that baby will wait until we are settled to come!

#15 ·
So exciting!! How interesting that you measure big, but your kids are relatively small. I've known fom the beginning that my MW was going to be on vacation now, but it sure felt different to say I was okay with it when I was 10 weeks along versus now!! I'm definitely not feeling like this baby is ready- I'm definitely not ready! My BH are getting intense, but definitely not the real deal at all.

I can't wait to see when it happens for you :grin:

#16 ·
I think that I measure big because I have such a short torso and there is nowhere else for baby to go but out. Yeah, I could see myself doing the same with the vacation. In the beginning I thought this would definitely be a November baby, but now I'm feeling October. Who knows maybe she will do this for a few weeks... doesn't feel that way though.

#17 ·
I'm at 37 this week, due on the 10th
I'm still at work, but I only work 2 days a week at max.

When I am though, dear god I get the BH's s bad. Almost make me fall over sometimes.
I don't know though, they feel very menstrual these days. The last one I had before bed last night lasted for about a sold minute. Felt bad for my boyfriend. He decided that it was a good time to start messing with me. Think he's more ready for this baby to come than I am haha

#20 ·
Well I had a bout of false labor (what I consider prodromal labor) this morning. They started pretty mild every 10 mins, then jumped to every 5 mins and got way more intense really quick, then we got to 3 mins. This was going on for like a hour and a half. When I finally decided I better get up and eat some breakfast, they subsided, from getting up and moving around. Lil man might still decide to hang out till his due date, but my body's definitely gearing up so I'd be wise to follow suit.
Any suggestions on snacks and drinks for labor??
I've always been in the hospital before so ice chips is all I've ever had during labor before....

Reactions: missmagoo
#21 ·
Oh wow, chunklins! That sounds exciting! I have reached the point where I am feeling very impatient and tired and ready to meet my baby. I have been trying to talk her into coming on Sunday; my hubby keeps telling her that he's ready for a vacation (five days off of work) and that she can come anytime.

#22 ·
I like coconut water to drink during labor with some salt and lime added. I didn't feel much like eating once I was in active labor, and I had scrambled eggs for breakfast the morning my labor started. I guess I felt like eating what I would normally eat until I just didn't really feel like eating anymore. I think I had a couple of bananas in the middle and maybe some granola or tail mix.

#23 ·
I bought granola bars and trail mix and stashed them in my birth box lol. I am probably going to make a batch of labor ade too. I was googling it last night and found a recipe similar to what you suggested MissMagoo, coconut water with lime juice, salt, some sweetener, trace mineral drops and a few drops of rescue remedy too. I'm thinking about preparing that soon and storing in mason jars in the fridge till its go time.... I also found a recipe to make a gallon of the labor ade with regular water, maybe I'll make that too just to make sureI don't run out.
I hope somebody has their baby soon! Its getting so close and I know its getting hard to wait!

#24 · (Edited)
Lots of BH and lower back pain. Pelvic pain picking up to the point I have to stop and just sit down. Baby feels really low considering I am okay 35 weeks tomorrow. Wouldn't mind having the baby a bit early so will see if the symptoms pick up.
As for food and drinks during labor I never feel hungry but definitely very thirsty and highly recommend coconut water. I must have had at least a gallon during last labor. :)

#25 ·
I had pains much of the day as well... but wasn't sure if from being sick or just horrible timing to come while sick. I don't know what menstrual cramps feel like as I have had them very few times in my life. But these felt stronger than most bh I have had. I Seriously questioned labor... but all has subsided. I didn't time them but they were very frequent at times... but short. Baby was very active and I expected my water to break at anytime... but didn't. Still losing itty bitty pieces of plug.I think it will be sooner than my us said. I need to prepare.

#26 ·
This is all soo exciting! Just wait until all the good news starts to flood in! When i meditate on the birth i get some good contractions but nothing imminent feeling in any way.

#27 ·
So I'm def having little twinges every now and again. Nothing regular. Nothing super painful, but def something. What's the difference between Braxton Hicks and early contractions?

#29 ·
Yeah, it can feel like it is so hard to tell, but once the real contrax start, there is no mistaking them for BH. I also find that my BH tend to last much longer than a real contraction, and there isn't a buildup to them. With BH and cramping, sometimes it will last as long at 10 minutes without really letting up- real contrax don't do that.

#31 ·
That's like how mine are. I"l get them for about 2-3 hours a night but they're waaaay spaced out.
I can feel it coming in for like 2secs in my back then it's just unbearable pain, it'll peak, then fade out.
I can always tell when it's almost over cause my lil'guy will start getting really active again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.