Mothering Forum banner

What are you wearing for labor?

3K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  mamabear7 
#1 ·
What are you planning to wear while you are in labor? I had a hospital birth last time, and just wore the gown. I'm doing a homebirth this time, and I'm realizing I have't really thought about what I will want to wear. I guess I figured I'd just go with what was comfortable, but I'm curious what others are doing.

#3 ·
I've been pondering this as well... I sort of envision myself in a huge t shirt and panties, but IDK. I'm interested in what others say!

#6 ·
I only wore the gown for labor and delivery. I changed into my own clothes right afterwards. I know some women don't wear the gown for labor and delivery, but it was just not one of the battles I wanted to fight. No one said anything about my changing into my own clothes as soon as I was up and walking around and had the IV removed.

#10 ·
Skin to skin is a good point..... the big t shirt idea works against that. My only button shirts are flannel PJs and I feel like they'll be too hot. I'll have to keep on thinkin!

#12 ·
Good Idea! That allows easy access for birth, easy access for skin to skin after birth. And you could always wear a robe if you get chilly... I remember sweating like a pig with my last birth, a Feb baby. So that makes it easy to cool off when hot. . I like it

#13 ·
At this point I'm thinking I will probably end up in a tank with a sleep nursing bra and sweats (that will obviously come off). I figure the tank and sleep bra I can take down over my shoulders to leave my chest bare for skin to skin once baby arrives, but will still leave me feeling comfortable while I'm laboring (I really hate not wearing some kind of bra)

#14 ·
When I had my daughter at the hospital I did not want anything at all on. I have a little tube top that covers my breasts that I plan to wear this time. I'm having a home/water birth this time and I'm not modest. Not one bit... lol. I will probably wear shorts or a long skirt when I'm walking around but other than that I probably won't wear a thing.

#15 ·
I have a couple of "pretty" hospital gowns that someone made me when I was on bedrest with my third baby, so I'm going to give one of those a try for my homebirth. I also have a black workout shirt (only b/c I can't find my black sleep bra, lol) and a birthing skirt that I made, so I might switch into those at some point, too.

#16 ·
I'm having a home birth and thinking sports bra and a soft, short-ish flowy skirt. If I end up getting in and out of the pool a lot I have a towel wrap thing that can be worn as a skirt, and I have 2 robes, one thin and one thick and fluffy. I don't like the idea of walking around naked in front of anyone but my husband, and don't really like being naked in general unless it's 90+ degrees, but easy skin to skin access is important to me.

#19 ·
DDC crashing!

I've had two home births and both times ended up completely naked. I'm also not normally a 'naked' person, but oh boy it felt good to have no clothes on, and by the time I'm at second stage I pretty much don't care anymore. It helps that I set ahead of time who I think should be allowed in the room. For example, I vetoed my dad (my parents were with us for birth #2 to look after DD1) :)

#24 ·
I never thought about what I would wear either. I ended up in a comfy tie-dyed skirt and tank top with no bra. It felt really nice to labor in my own clothes (first home birth)! When the time came to get into the tub this ridiculously modest woman's skirt and undies came off and I wore the tank in the tub. When baby and I got out my midwife just pulled my wet tank top off of me and helped me onto the couch with a dry towel over baby and I. We laid together skin to skin for probably an hour or two before I got up to pee, then I threw a comfy nightgown on that had easy nursing access.

Reactions: Usually Curious
#26 ·
after this thread started, I was inspired to pack a cheap, thrift store maternity nightgown where I could easily slip the straps down for skin to skin/ nursing. I ended up momentarily wearing the hospital gown (b/c I had an IV, I thought i'd try it) which was an absurd amount of pointless fabric. So I put on the t-shirt I wore in, then ended up naked in the shower, and for the rest of the labor/ birth. I had bath blankets around me at various points (mmm... from the warmer).

#27 ·
lol, I appreciate the humor in your post chunklins; made me giggle

#29 ·
I didn't think I would end up quite so naked either, lol but it just kind of works out that way. And it's funny how you don't even care in the end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.