April & May 2014 Chat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 04-15-2014, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Now that's it's mid April, here  is the new thread!

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#2 of 17 Old 04-15-2014, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

We are doing ok. Zeph turned 4 months yesterday. She is full of smiles and giggling just a little. She's discovered how to get her feet in her mouth and loves it. No real rolling yet, just a tad to the side. She either doesn't wake at night at all or maybe once, but is still going to bed super late (close to midnight). If she goes down earlier, like at 10, that is when she wakes in the middle of the night. Just today I felt a small sharp bump under her gums; I predict her first tooth will be in this week!

I'm ultra busy; started back to doula/birth photography work this month. I'm regretting taking on so many clients this month and next- 4 clients a month is a ton with a nursing babe and 3 other kids at home. Ah well. So far this month I have 2 births down 2 to go. 

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#3 of 17 Old 04-21-2014, 09:20 PM

Aww Kali, that must be tough having her up so late. I was hoping she'd start sleeping earlier for you. Being a birth photographer must be so fun, to be able to capture all so special moments. I really wish we had more picture of our birth.

Amelia was 4 months on the 18th. She's still just a tiny little bit; 10lbs 2oz and 23.5" long. No rolling here yet either. She just turns from side to side when she's on her play mat. She is so talkative now, I love all the sounds she makes.

We set the crib up next to the bed last week and I wish we had done that from the start. I like her being in her own sleeping space but still close enough for me to just reach over and touch. I put her down in there when she first goes to bed then pull her over to me to nurse. The problem so far is I fall asleep before moving her back over to the crib so she ends up next to me anyway. Right now she's waking up after about three hours; I'm hoping that will time start lengthening as she gets older. She's been going to sleep so easily lately. Granted we've spent the last few months working on our "routine" but it's paying off now. She's to the point where I only have to spend a few minutes swaying back and forth with her, then I can lay her down on her side and pat her back a few times and she's out. Unfortunately she still only sleeps for about 30 minutes at a time. She ends up taking 4-5 30 minute naps a day. I think she'd be better rested if she just took 2-3 One hour long naps but the only way she sleeps any longer is if lay down with her. It's nice to take a 3 hour nap but then it feels like I'm wasting the day.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#4 of 17 Old 04-24-2014, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Trish: No way are you wasting the day! I wish I could nap! Zephyr is not taking good naps lately either. 30 mins usually.

AFM: Zeph HAS started going to bed earlier, though! For the past 5 days it's been about 9:45; a HUGE improvement. She will sometimes wake early morning before we are ready for her to get up but then usually will go back to bed after nursing. 

One tooth is through and I can feel the one next to it under the gums. She has been atypically cranky due to this. 

#5 of 17 Old 04-25-2014, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Teeth, I am not ready for twins with teeth yet!

AFM: my boys have had their first serious cough/cold.  Daddy and I have been coughing and blowing our noses too.  Mine is clear, but DH's is nasty yellow junk.  I think mine is pollen related. DH isn't convinced on his but we both woke up on Tuesday morning with sore throats that were helped by gargling with salt water.

If any one is interested in losing some weight, come over and join the Healthy Weight Loss Challenge http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1401028/8-week-healthy-weight-loss-challenge-number-15-starts-april-28-join-anytime

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#6 of 17 Old 04-27-2014, 11:11 AM

Lilac It's so hard when it's a baby and they can't blow their nose! we had some major congestion and sniffles here for almost a month, mostly allergies I think. The doctor listened to Amelia's lungs while we were at her appointment and they were clear so it was all nasal/sinus related. We had some congestion and sniffles here for a few weeks and I tried the bulb syringe nose sucker thing but it didn't help at all.

I think we may be getting some teeth soon. You've always been able to see her bottom two teeth just below the gums, but it looks like they're trying to push through now. She's been super grouchy the last few days. Not hungry, or tired, or wet, and not even really crying, just making complaining noises. Not to mention it's been drool city over here. I had her in the Ergo while we were at Costco and when I took her out I had a huge wet spot on my shirt from where she'd been sucking on her fingers and drooling on me.

I think my cycles are about to return. I've been keeping an eye on my CM and its starting to be more fertile quality CM than it has. I always start having periods again by 6 months PP despite ebf, so I'm not too surprised. I was just really hoping I'd get lucky and it'd wait until around 12 months for once. DP really wants to have another baby and the sooner the better in his mind but I'm no where near ready for another pregnancy let alone the thought of having a newborn again. My baby fever is cured for the time being!

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#7 of 17 Old 04-28-2014, 06:33 PM

Trish, I was thinking the same thing about some CM I saw a week ago. I sure hope my cycles stay away!

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#8 of 17 Old 04-29-2014, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Yikes! I have never gotten my cycle back before 12-14 months. DH is getting a V in June, so let's hope my fertility stays away 'til the 1 year mark again!

Zephyr now has 2 teeth in! 

#9 of 17 Old 04-30-2014, 06:29 PM

Amelia slept for 8 straight hours last night! We set up the pack n play in "her" room (it's really sort of a storage room right now) so I've been starting her out in there at night. She slept about 5 hours in there the first two nights but last night was 8 solid. It sounds nice but then she was wide awake at 5 am so she only slept the 8 hours. She usually sleeps about 10 hours at night. Luckily I got to lay down with her after DD1 left for school and we took a 4 hour nap smile.gif I really hope last night was just a fluke. For now I prefer the 5 hour stretches over 8 and awake. Not only does she need more sleep going that long without nursing will only make my fertility come back sooner.

#10 of 17 Old 05-06-2014, 05:49 PM

Hi ladies, sorry I have been MIA lately...overwhelmed by 3 kids and so many projects I want to take on and constantly exhausted. Glad to see everyone is doing well in spite of the bumps along the way.

Excecise has fallen off a bit because of sickness/exhaustion, but I have cleaned up my diet a lot....back to boot camp tomorrow...

DS turned 4 months on Saturday; he loves to reach for toys, smiles at everyone, laughs when tickled, and is constantly eating his hands and drooling. He has crazy long arms/torso and short legs (9 month shirts, 3 minth amts). We joke that he looks like Olaf from Frozen....

Spring is finally here and we are able to get out lots, except someone is always sleeping when I want to go out...DD2 takes 3 hour naps in the afternoon, and DS takes 4 45-60 minute naps. Once in a while he breaks all the odds and sleeps 2.5 hours. He always puts himself to sleepwith his soother, since he cries any other way. He seems to alternate between good and bad nights. Meh.

Life is mostly good. I started the mini pill last month, since we can't decide on the big V or not. Its nice not to worry about condoms and I wouldn't be shattered about another baby. We shall see smile.gif

Wife to one amazing man and mama to three!

DD1 (03/09), DD2 (06/11), DS (01/14) love.gif

2014: 30/70lbs, 4/52 crafts
#11 of 17 Old 05-13-2014, 04:21 PM

Amelia rolled over today! And of course I wasn't looking, lol! She rolled from stomach to back; for some reason I thought they did back to stomach first. I can't wait to see her do it again.

#12 of 17 Old 05-14-2014, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Yy Amelia!

#13 of 17 Old 05-23-2014, 02:53 AM

It has been a hard week.  Last Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night my babies didn't sleep - even the twin that usually sleeps through the night.  Coughing, fevers, runny noses.  Ugh. DH got so frustrated at one point with the babies that I grabbed the one that was crying yet again in the middle of the night ran out to the front door and I was just distraughtly crying "I can't make them not cry.  They are just little. They need us. They are sick." I think my crying snapped my DH out of the funk he has been in for nearly 5 months. He has tried to be so much more patient with the babies this week.  Then on Monday night, I went to a friend's house and she recommended using some essential oils to help their colds and to help them sleep better - lavender oil is a miracle for my youngest son. Night before last he slept through the night. Last night I laid him down away and he talked to himself for awhile, rolled over, and went to sleep and is still sleeping even with a couple of night nursing sessions. A little dab of lavender on his feet, rubbed in, and calmness is attained. This momma is getting excited for the future sleep she will have!

#14 of 17 Old 05-26-2014, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

hugs, lilac! So glad lavender worked. I love using oil on my kiddos. 

Zephyr is almost 5 months 2 weeks. She rolled over for the first time this week. She hasn't napped at all this week- and has woken up twice in the early morning and stayed up for 2 hours- eek! She has two teeth and seems to be working on more. She is no where near sitting up yet, she's kind of behind my other kids as far as milestones go, but we suer do adore her. 

#15 of 17 Old 05-27-2014, 02:59 PM

Hey, ladies, just checking in, know it's been a while.

Lilac, I hope the lavender really helps! Trish and Kali, yay for rolling over! Lida, hope you are feeling better.

AFM, well, what are we talking about? Sleep? Roisin sleeps pretty well, but she's sort of adamant about her bedtime. She likes to go to bed between 8 and 9, and she really prefers me to go to bed with her. If we are out of the house I can usually get her to nurse and go to sleep in the ring sling, but if we are home I often lay down with her while the other kids get ready for bed, and then DH joins me so we can watch TV or read before going to sleep ourselves. During the week I have to be up at 6:15, so on the weekends Roisin usually wakes me up by 7. She likes to be regular -- no sleeping in, Mommy! wink1.gif Although, yesterday she and I slept until almost 9! That was a nice surprise!

She doesn't really wake up in the middle of the night -- never has. She just latches on and nurses in her sleep, same as all of my babies did. Which means I never wake in the night. Lucky me! orngbiggrin.gif

I don't really keep track of naps. I suppose she naps about twice a day in her bassinet, and maybe twice more in my arms or the ring sling. If she is sleepy and I lay down with her in our bed, she'll usually let me nap a good 3 hours, and I do that now and then.

During the day Roisin gets bored and makes obvious ploys to get passed around among her siblings. :P She likes to be taken into the kids rooms, or to sit outside on the back porch. On the weekends, if I sit in my bedroom too long (talking to DH or reading), she'll start to cry until her big sister comes to get her. She thinks my 16yo DD is her other mommy. :P

Yesterday, Roisin rolled back to tummy for the first time! She'd been rolling tummy to back since she was a couple days old, and back to side for a couple weeks now, but she couldn't get her arm out of the way to get fully onto her belly. I was so excited to see her make it!

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#16 of 17 Old 05-27-2014, 05:55 PM

Yay for babies rolling! DS rolled tummy to back around 8 weeks, and does back to side, but, like Roisin, can't get his arm out of the way yet. He also sat up by himself last week, long enough for me to take a pic, lol! He adores his big sisters and has gotten a lot more smiley and "belly-laughy " lately. Oh, and he is grabbing anything food-related that he can get his little hands on and stuffing it in his mouth! Next week he will be five months, so maybe we'll start some solids. It's earlier than with my other two, but he is showing so much interest...

Great tip about the lavendar oil, Lilac! None of my kids are sleepers, and DS is no exception. I think he wakes up about 10 times a night? There is a good reason why the baby and I don't sleep in the same room as DH, too many cuss words when he gets woken up. He doesn't remember in the morning, but he can be very mean in the night. Hopefully your DH is turning a corner...I am jealous of all the women whose husbands are actually helpful at night ;p

DS is very particular about where he takes his naps...must be in the crib. If we are home he may take 3-4 naps, around 45-90 min, but if we are out and about, it's only a 20 min power-nap and he's up again. Thankfully he is not a grouchy babe...

I registered for a 5k run at the end of September!! I am NOT a runner at all, but have been doing well at getting back in shape. I am still 10lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight, but much more toned. Now I just have to focus on being able to do the distance. I am training while pushing a jogging stroller, so that should make the actual race easier, lol! I do bootcamp twice a week, a running class once a week, and am looking to add ballet or gymnastics to that once a week starting in July. I bring at least my baby to almost all those classes, lol! I want to also run by myself once a week...maybe Sundays.

My middle girl is turning 3 next weekend! When did that happen and where was I??? Her last two birthdays are a blur... greensad.gif

Wife to one amazing man and mama to three!

DD1 (03/09), DD2 (06/11), DS (01/14) love.gif

2014: 30/70lbs, 4/52 crafts
#17 of 17 Old 06-16-2014, 05:00 AM

Well, it is the middle of June and with all the changes to mdc, it doesn't look like anyone has posted in our ddc.

Today my Edward crawled for the first time really purposefully. Sort of an army crawl, nose dive thing, but definitely crawling.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page