1st Trimester Anxiety support Group (For all women) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 66Likes

#1 of 143 Old 06-12-2014, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
1st Trimester Anxiety support Group (For all women)

Hey ladies! I have noticed that a lot of us are either pregnancy after loss mamas, have struggled with infertility or are just dealing with general anxieties that come up during pregnancy.

When I was pregnant with my last child, I was coming off of two miscarriages and had a really hard time with anxiety during the pregnancy. During that pregnancy, my emotional turmoil was exasperated by bleeding (like a light period) every 3-4 weeks. It was a really really dark time. I had a hard time connecting with the baby and I was really good at hiding it from anyone who could help. Even my husband didn't know what was going on! I was embarrassed. I wasn't happy. I finally came out of it when I was able to confess ALL of my feelings to a friend of mine. It wasn't until I owned what I was feeling that I was able to finally deal with and move past it.

I am hoping this can be a place where we can name our anxieties, dig deep into our fears so that we can deal with them and find support along the way.

So, ladies... Share away. There is no judgement here. Just love, support and help if you need it!

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#2 of 143 Old 06-12-2014, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Great idea! I can't wait to settle in to this pregnancy but I am really guarded. My first betas from 17dpo just came back at 289. Solid but not crazy high. Just drew another set and hopefully they come back tomorrow. I had no U/S's or really any medical intervention the first 2 pregnancies. Maybe it's just being older for these last 2. I am trying really hard to just accept the unknowns are there and move on anyways.

Larissa, mom to my 3 girls (07/10), (05/02), and (09/98)
#3 of 143 Old 06-12-2014, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I have been trying to just be peaceful and accepting without worrying too much, but it's always hard to achieve that Part of me wants all the assurances, to go get blood draws and check everything right now. My plan, though, is to wait until 6 or 7 weeks to see my midwife and I will ask for an ultrasound then to see a heartbeat. I tend to be a worrier so it is definitely in my nature to want to be in control of things and "Just want to KNOW". I am trying to let go..and be more relaxed.

I wish all of you peace as well.
#4 of 143 Old 06-12-2014, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Thank you so much for this space, Jodie. I am a big one for anxiety while pregnant--it's very strange, I seek out the darkest, saddest stories, and spend a lot of time thinking about them and my own anxieties. I have always found that putting a name to these fears allows me to release them somewhat, and set my mind at ease--but it can be difficult, and my husband really worries that all I am doing is reinforcing my difficult emotions by reading others' tough stories/expressing my dark thoughts and worries in words. Plus, his mind just works differently than mine and he doesn't like to hear disturbing things! And, I mean, can you blame him?! And yet.

I've never gone through a loss, nor struggled with infertility; we had a difficult experience early in my first pregnancy that turned out to be purely the mistake of an NP who refused to listen to me, but nothing was ever actually wrong--so I have no "call" to worry, really, there's no history there. But something heatbrown said the other day in the "How is everyone doing" thread really resonated with me:
Quote:
I am nervous about not carrying to term as I have not yet lost a baby, and can't help feeling like I can't expect to continue to be so blessed KWIM?
That's so exactly how I feel, like... Is it going to be my turn? I don't know. It feels weird and neurotic to be SO concerned that my "number" is somehow going to be up, and yet: Here I am.

Also: I need your encouragement to LAY OFF the disturbing narratives! I am about 2/3 of the way through an audiobook of Room during my long commute, and while it is a worthy book, it is NOT what I'd recommend for any pregnant woman, or indeed for very many sensitive mothers at pretty much any time. It's absolutely harrowing, and after sobbing out loud in the car on tonight's drive home... Well, jeez, I think it's all Shopaholic from here on out for me.

#5 of 143 Old 06-13-2014, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeThatsMe View Post

Also: I need your encouragement to LAY OFF the disturbing narratives! I am about 2/3 of the way through an audiobook of Room during my long commute, and while it is a worthy book, it is NOT what I'd recommend for any pregnant woman, or indeed for very many sensitive mothers at pretty much any time. It's absolutely harrowing, and after sobbing out loud in the car on tonight's drive home... Well, jeez, I think it's all Shopaholic from here on out for me.
My husband and I joke that every media item we ingest while I'm pregnant always seems to involve horrible loss and bad things happening to children. It's not on purpose - even the most innocent of media will surprise us with children dying! I am so sensitive once those hormones start kicking and in a constant impending doom head space. It's tough to kick that focus. I'm happy to have a group now so I can share and leave my husband in peace!
#6 of 143 Old 06-16-2014, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Hi ladies.. I am definitely facing some anxiety as I suffered a chemical three months ago. My HCG at 14 dpo was only 24 and at 18 DPO was only 51. I officially miscarried at 5 weeks, 2 days but I knew the baby was gone before that.

This time I had a light line at 9 DPO already and by 11DPO (yesterday) the line was almost as dark as the control. Never happened last time. My first beta today at 12 DPO was 186. So.. I feel like this is a lot better. I am still waiting on progesterone though. I also recently found out I have PCOS so this was a medicated cycle.

I know that everything looks good so far. I'm exhausted, my boobs are starting to hurt, and I'm all around pretty miserable. I'm just terrified that within a day everything will fall apart and my dream of finally becoming a mom will be torn away from me.. again. I feel like I know this baby already and I believe it is the same baby I lost in February. I just want to meet him (we'll see if i am right about this... ). I don't know how I'm going to survive until an ultrasound.

Kyle and Jordan - Married June 22nd, 2013

TTC #1 since October 2013.

My chart -

One loss - March 2014 (5 weeks)

BFP on June 13, 2014 - EDD 2/25/2014
First Beta at 12DPO-186. 15DPO-598!

#7 of 143 Old 06-16-2014, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I'm having anxiety not only about loss-- I have never had a loss and I feel like it's my "turn" -- but I am just having a huge amount of anxiety about money and medical care. I had an appointment at a fertility clinic, but found out I was pregnant the week before my appointment. I called them to ask if I would need supplemental progesterone, because I was a patient there in 2011 and I had to use progesterone with my son. They offered to see me and do betas. Now I'm having the hardest time figuring out if my labs or ultrasounds at the clinic (until 8 weeks) will be covered. The nurse who called with my second beta asked about RX and told me I should get my GP or whomever is managing my thyroid to do labs to make sure it's still okay. My GP's nurse was not nice to me and told me he didn't see any reason to do labs, I basically had to insist saying that because I have thyroid disease and these things change during pregnancy, I was advised to do it.
I promised myself I wouldn't get all worked up over care providers during this pregnancy (I switched OBs at 19 weeks with my other pregnancy). Now I haven't even selected and OB and I feel overwhelmed.
I am not sure if we have to pay for the early ultrasounds if we should even do them. It's not like they can do anything if there is something wrong, right? (They do a 5 week check of the fetal pole and then a heartbeat at 7 weeks as standard practice at the clinic).

ecstatic about BFP #2 after another round of Clomid,
TWINS!
EDD 2/15/2015
thrilled to welcome #1 after 17 months of ttc, 1 round of Clomid

DS LG  08/03/12
#8 of 143 Old 06-17-2014, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

iixivboots, ((hugs)) I hate dealing with insensitive care providers who don't understand. I am sorry you had to go through that and that money is such a stressor for you. The thing about pregnancy is that EVERYTHING is sooooo personal. So, know that when I share my opinion and story about u/s with you, I am totally just expressing what I found to be true for me. It is not a judgement of what others do differently. But, also remember that I speak my truth after going through 2 m/c (one at 6 weeks, one at 12.5 weeks.) Then, I had an anxiety filled -and ultrasound filled- pregnancy with my next baby. So, I speak from a place of "I have been there" and "I am right here with you."

My thought about u/s, especially early u/s, is that they are really don't do anything. Meaning, they do not change outcomes, they do not improve outcomes. They give you a picture of the reality inside of you for that moment, and that moment only. For me, the ultrasound offered immense relief momentarily... but fear and anxiety ALWAYS bubbled up shortly after. Sometimes, I had a few days of relief. Sometimes, I had a few hours. Anything can happen at any time and I knew it. So, seeing reassuring things was reassuring, but only for a moment.

Now, alternatively, let's say that an u/s showed an impending miscarriage was on the horizon. Is it really better to know what is going on inside if it is a bad and unwanted outcome? Walking around not knowing and then discovering m/c through bleeding/cramping by surprise SUCKS! You know what else sucks? KNOWING that you are carrying around a non-viable pregnancy but still looking and feeling pregnant...waiting for the m/c to finally happen. I experienced both of these scenarios. Both of those alternatives suck because pregnancy loss sucks. Either way, you are sad and upset, heartbroken and angry.

So, this time, I am not having any u/s done. I am just enjoying each individual day because that is all I KNOW that I have in the moment. It is probably frustrating to feel like you are "skimping" on "prenatal care" due to lack of resources. But maybe the above perspective will help you see that an u/s is not really prenatal care. It does not improve outcomes for your baby to to be "seen" and measured at this early and most tender stage of development. There are other ways to reduce anxiety that offer longer lasting results. I can come back later with some ideas about that... for now, my computer time is up.
loba and gzornblat like this.

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

Last edited by jodieanneanton; 06-17-2014 at 05:18 AM.
#9 of 143 Old 06-18-2014, 06:50 PM

@jodieanneanton
I so appreciate your thoughtful answer. I completely see where you are coming from. I asked the nurse when she called about my betas and she convinced me to just do the dating ultrasound. Well, we got a big surprise, so now that ship has sailed I think. (See chat thread) But again, thank you for sharing your experience and taking the time to read and respond.

TWINS!
EDD 2/15/2015

DS LG  08/03/12
#10 of 143 Old 06-19-2014, 07:58 AM

Location: Driftless Region of Iowa, on a beautiful little farm.
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Mamas, I so want a homebirth, but am very terrified of something going wrong. I don't trust hospitals or midwifes who work with them either, though, and don't get me started on my feelings about doctors.

Have any of you formed a relationship w a midwife at an OB's office and then also seen a homebirth midwife?
Is that even ethical?
Can the OB office kick me out as a patient?
#11 of 143 Old 06-19-2014, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Thank you for this space! I had two losses back to back last fall. The first (at 8 weeks) was disappointing but honestly not world-shattering. Then I must have ovulated immediately after I stopped bleeding, and we accidentally conceived again then (we'd been planning to wait a couple cycles). I lost that pregnancy only a few days after the positive test (was definitely not carryover HcG from the first loss), and then I bled for six weeks. The second loss was devastating. There was the fear that it would just keep happening, wondering if I would be one of those women who just keep having miscarriage after miscarriage, plus a very deep, "something is horribly wrong with my body" fear. And at the same time it seemed like everyone around me was getting pregnant, so a nice coating of bitterness iced the whole experience.

We took about five months off after that, waiting for my body to regulate and to heal emotionally. My second stage of grief was for the "loss" of what I always imagined our family to be. I saw myself with at least three kids (I have a 3.5yo DS), and now I'm wondering whether I want to go through all of this again. I needed clomid to get pregnant with DS, and altogether we've been trying for this one for a year and a half. It actually eased some anxiety to accept that we might just be a four-person family.

DS weaned about a month ago. When he finally night-weaned in March was when I started having regular cycles again. This was our second month back on the TTC wagon.

Overall I feel a lot better about this pregnancy than with the first loss last fall. I think I knew on some level from the very beginning that it wasn't going to stick. I didn't want to tell anyone, I kept taking tests all the way up to the day before I miscarried. I just never really got excited about it, in contrast to my first pregnancy where I told everyone right away and never had a smidge of anxiety, even when I had spotting and cramping around 8 weeks.

This time I'm excited. I'm a little anxious, and I'm going to have my progesterone and HcG monitored, but I don't feel like I'll have any early ultrasounds or anything like that.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#12 of 143 Old 06-19-2014, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2finn View Post
Mamas, I so want a homebirth, but am very terrified of something going wrong. I don't trust hospitals or midwifes who work with them either, though, and don't get me started on my feelings about doctors.

Have any of you formed a relationship w a midwife at an OB's office and then also seen a homebirth midwife?
Is that even ethical?
Those are all good questions and I don't know the answer to them. Personally I wish for a home birth too but there are no providers in my area. I work in the medical field so I am very aware of "all that can go wrong" while still understanding that home birth for low risk mothers can offer very very safe outcomes.

I think being upfront to all your providers would be your best bet. I hope your provider can be understanding of your feelings. Do you have good home birth midwives in your area? Maybe meeting with a few and discussing your concerns might be helpful. It can't hurt to meet with them and see what you think. It's so hard to be in that place where you want the secure feeling of being at the hospital if something goes wrong, but at the same time feeling mistrustful of medical staff. ((hugs))
momma2finn likes this.
#13 of 143 Old 06-19-2014, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:

Is that even ethical?
I think the first step would be to interview a couple of home birth midwives and express your concerns to them. If you have a particular scenario that you're concerned about, ask them about it. Have your list of, "What do you do if X happens" questions - they answer them all the time. It might be that you find a home birth midwife who really puts you at ease.

Is a freestanding birth center an option? It gives you the feeling of "going somewhere" (even if it's effectively just to another house) but you still get similar care as with a home birth.

I have heard of people getting shadow care with an OB while also seeing a home birth midwife, but I'm not sure about the ins and outs of that.

You might also consider, starting now, some Birthing From Within type exercises that will help you through whatever fears you have. If a home birth is scary, but so are doctors and hospitals, it would be a good idea to start digging deep and examining all of those feelings. A pro of seeing a midwife is that they will make a point of working with you through your anxieties, and I imagine an OB who will take the time to do that would be few and far between.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#14 of 143 Old 06-20-2014, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckiest View Post
There was the fear that it would just keep happening, wondering if I would be one of those women who just keep having miscarriage after miscarriage, plus a very deep, "something is horribly wrong with my body" fear.

My second stage of grief was for the "loss" of what I always imagined our family to be.
This really resonates with me. My losses have made me afraid to be happy for this one, although at the same time this pregnancy feels different and I have a feeling that this one will stick. I just want to feel joyful but I'm scared to let myself for fear of being devastated yet again. My betas are low, but increasing normally. So...just trying to exist in the moment and find a bit of calm.
#15 of 143 Old 06-20-2014, 02:14 PM

To all you ladies worried about loss- big, giant, hugs. I can't imagine what you are going through and I'm glad you have this amazing space to let us listen to your fears

Thanks dreamingtree and luckiest, for the advice- I am going to make some calls and set up interviews. Wish me luck!

Since we are here talking about anxieties - is anyone else's DH starting to crumble a little bit? With mine I can understand. He has raised our son since about 5 years old, as his own, but he has kind of been on edge this week, and he's carrying the Dr Sears Baby Book everywhere he goes. But his anxiety and moodiness is making me anxious and moody. Hopefully it's just for the time being.
#16 of 143 Old 06-20-2014, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchTree View Post
This really resonates with me. My losses have made me afraid to be happy for this one, although at the same time this pregnancy feels different and I have a feeling that this one will stick. I just want to feel joyful but I'm scared to let myself for fear of being devastated yet again. My betas are low, but increasing normally. So...just trying to exist in the moment and find a bit of calm.
BirchTree, It is so hard. For me personally, not attaching to a pregnancy did nothing to make my grief more bearable when that particular pregnancy ended in miscarriage. It mostly made me feel sad that I didn't savor any time. I hope you are able to find the peace to exist in the moment and stay calm. What are you doing that you find helpful?

#17 of 143 Old 06-20-2014, 09:24 PM

Just counting down the days until the heartbeat ultrasound (13). I am obsessively reading about twin pregnancy, twin miscarriages, mortality rates. I need to stop, but I just feel like I need to be informed. I don't know. I just wish it were July 3. :/

TWINS!
EDD 2/15/2015

DS LG  08/03/12
#18 of 143 Old 06-20-2014, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iixivboots View Post
Just counting down the days until the heartbeat ultrasound (13). I am obsessively reading about twin pregnancy, twin miscarriages, mortality rates. I need to stop, but I just feel like I need to be informed. I don't know. I just wish it were July 3. :/
I'm counting down for my scan as well. Just stopping by to give you a hug.
#19 of 143 Old 06-21-2014, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was out with a few friends tonight, and one of my best friends became obsessed with telling me about miscarriage. She wouldn't drop it or let me change the subject, and I just left as fast as I could.

I've told her before how anxious I am. That conversation was so upsetting and not helpful.
#20 of 143 Old 06-21-2014, 03:37 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Just wanted to share this article. Looks like it came out in 2002, but I remember reading it more like 2007.
http://content.time.com/time/magazin...003653,00.html

It was in Time and called "Inside the Womb". The whole article talks about how what you do and how you feel while pregnant affects the baby way more than we think it does. So, if it is correct, which may or may not be the case, then it really matters whether we think happy thoughts and get things off our chest.

I have not had any experience with miscarriages or infertility, but I already have three children and this pregnancy was unplanned. I was happy with my first two, then I got divorced and remarried and although I was done having children, I thought my husband should have one (if he wanted). So we had one more. And I was done, again. I was even selling all my old baby stuff at a garage sale a couple weeks ago and thank goodness the crib didn't sell. And I still have the stroller and car seat.

But basically, we have some debt that we accrued after making some improvements to our house that, because I recently quit my job to get a better work/life balance with my kids, will not be paid off until early 2016. We have better health insurance and more room than we have ever had before, so I really should be feeling blessed, not like things are out of control. I raised my other kids on less money and more difficult environments. It's easy to get excited about a newborn, because they are so precious and perfect, but less easy to get excited about going through another toddler phase 2-3 years later. Especially when you have a 3.5 year old boy running around right now. I'm not a big advocate for birth control, but I have no idea how I got pregnant this time, so I am considering having my tubes tied after this baby. And I'm also trying my hardest to accept everything to avoid stress. I quit my job to avoid stress, so I'm not going to let it get me now.
#21 of 143 Old 06-21-2014, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie11 View Post
But basically, we have some debt that we accrued after making some improvements to our house that, because I recently quit my job to get a better work/life balance with my kids, will not be paid off until early 2016. We have better health insurance and more room than we have ever had before, so I really should be feeling blessed, not like things are out of control. I raised my other kids on less money and more difficult environments. It's easy to get excited about a newborn, because they are so precious and perfect, but less easy to get excited about going through another toddler phase 2-3 years later. Especially when you have a 3.5 year old boy running around right now. I'm not a big advocate for birth control, but I have no idea how I got pregnant this time, so I am considering having my tubes tied after this baby. And I'm also trying my hardest to accept everything to avoid stress. I quit my job to avoid stress, so I'm not going to let it get me now.
I think I am understanding exactly how you feel. I'm sorry that financial stress is making it hard for you to be worry free, calm and relaxed- My DH and I are right there with you; we got our bundle a year earlier than we were expecting- hoping to pay a few things off first! I hope we can both be as zen as possible- just controlling pulse, breathing, and stopping the anxious thought hurricane that tries to build up strength and run rampant in my head is the best I can do- it seems to work pretty well. DH is handling it in his own way, but we are both super happy about baby, so that makes it a little easier. I hope things get lighter for you.

I'm going to read that article now- sounds interesting!
Valerie11 likes this.

#22 of 143 Old 06-21-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodieanneanton View Post
What are you doing that you find helpful?
Thank you. right now, I am mostly trying to distract myself so that I don't dwell on the anxiety. I have one good friend who is wonderful and has been through a loss of her own (at 30 weeks) so she knows what I am feeling. I don't want to distance myself though, I want to be more engaged....but I don't think I'm quite ready for that yet. I get lots of betas because I was at a fertility clinic so I have lots of dates to look forward to (had another beta today, get another one on Monday, then an early ultrasound)...but at the same time that just means I am anxious about results every time.

I think I need to start taking more warm baths and walks. Maybe yoga.
#23 of 143 Old 06-21-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafl View Post
I was out with a few friends tonight, and one of my best friends became obsessed with telling me about miscarriage. She wouldn't drop it or let me change the subject, and I just left as fast as I could.

I've told her before how anxious I am. That conversation was so upsetting and not helpful.
That is awfull! . I hope she realizes that she needs to be more supportive.
#24 of 143 Old 06-21-2014, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
My brother keeps joking about pushing me down the stairs. Luckily, my whole family gets how inappropriate his jokes are and sticks up for me. He also thought it would be funny to buy me a "funny shirt about abortions" and I told him I didn't think that was remotely funny.. which resulted in his girlfriend saying, "I would totally wear that shirt pregnant."

So far my actual anxiety is down. Am I still worrying? yes. But i'm not having melt downs like my last pregnancy. The only thing that I find slightly concerning is my symptoms are seeming to ease up in certain ways. I still feel just "icky" in general.. but my boobs aren't as sore as they have been. I'm hoping this is normal. I haven't had any spotting and my tests are still super dark.

Kyle and Jordan - Married June 22nd, 2013

TTC #1 since October 2013.

My chart -

One loss - March 2014 (5 weeks)

BFP on June 13, 2014 - EDD 2/25/2014
First Beta at 12DPO-186. 15DPO-598!

#25 of 143 Old 06-21-2014, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alivewithyou View Post
My brother keeps joking about pushing me down the stairs.
D: !

#26 of 143 Old 06-21-2014, 04:42 PM

I read the article from Time magazine, and I wouldn't let it bother you, Valerie11. It sounds like psuedo-reseached mainstream media crap aimed at making pregnant women feel responsible for everything that may or may not be wrong with the baby they've carried.

Of course what we feel and think affects our children in utero, but remember Mama, it affects our already born children too. I guess- if I get anxious, or have a squabble with DH, or get upset at DS for being, well, an eight year old boy, I tell (her) the baby that mommy is human, that mommy loves her, and that the world is a place where we feel so many emotions all the time. She won't be born into a perfectly controlled environment, you know?

Don't let silly ole Time Magazine freak out you out- remember, they have more pictures than words, so they don't get to count as scientific.
murrelet likes this.

#27 of 143 Old 06-21-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alivewithyou View Post
My brother keeps joking about pushing me down the stairs. Luckily, my whole family gets how inappropriate his jokes are and sticks up for me. He also thought it would be funny to buy me a "funny shirt about abortions" and I told him I didn't think that was remotely funny.. which resulted in his girlfriend saying, "I would totally wear that shirt pregnant."

So far my actual anxiety is down. Am I still worrying? yes. But i'm not having melt downs like my last pregnancy. The only thing that I find slightly concerning is my symptoms are seeming to ease up in certain ways. I still feel just "icky" in general.. but my boobs aren't as sore as they have been. I'm hoping this is normal. I haven't had any spotting and my tests are still super dark.

Shame on your brother. That is so uncalled for, I'm sorry you have to put up with that. And my guess is that his girlfriend hasn't carried any children to term, so maybe the callous thinking will stop when she is faced with the monumental task of being pregnant.

Shame on them. Seriously.

#28 of 143 Old 06-21-2014, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
I read the article from Time magazine, and I wouldn't let it bother you, Valerie11. It sounds like psuedo-reseached mainstream media crap aimed at making pregnant women feel responsible for everything that may or may not be wrong with the baby they've carried.

Of course what we feel and think affects our children in utero, but remember Mama, it affects our already born children too. I guess- if I get anxious, or have a squabble with DH, or get upset at DS for being, well, an eight year old boy, I tell (her) the baby that mommy is human, that mommy loves her, and that the world is a place where we feel so many emotions all the time. She won't be born into a perfectly controlled environment, you know?

Don't let silly ole Time Magazine freak out you out- remember, they have more pictures than words, so they don't get to count as scientific.
I re-read it, and I remember there being more to the article. Maybe back to back articles or I just didn't find the right one. It was many years ago. This one was more about development. I used to love Time, not so much for the message as how it was written. Now that I have opinions, I find myself in disagreement with most of their articles. You are right!

Three kids and one on the way.
#29 of 143 Old 06-21-2014, 06:55 PM

Can we talk concrete strategies for getting through to the next scan or whatever?
I'm doing acupuncture once a week, it's pretty awesome but I wish I could go every day, ha.
I'm thinking I need to get back to knitting for my nervous energy. I'm trying to get tons of rest so I think all that down time is sort of adding to the feeling like time is moving soooo slowly. Also reading a book series, so trying to keep my mind busy.
I am trying to relax and doing relaxing things. Last night I watched a bird documentary to fall asleep, haha.

TWINS!
EDD 2/15/2015

DS LG  08/03/12
#30 of 143 Old 06-21-2014, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

@iixivboots Here are some things I find helpful:

Prayer/Meditation
Relaxation exercises (Deep breathing, slowly and purposefully relaxing each part of my body, etc)
Letting go of control (or rather, the illusion of control)
View this letting go/trusting as an exercise/practice of the trust I will have to have in labor.
exercise
eating right
getting enough sleep
connecting to my baby (Or in your case, babies!!!!!!!!!!!) with messages of love and joy
Talking to a friend who will just listen
coming on here and chatting with other like-minded women
Closing the calendar and trying not to think about counting days

Hmmm... I am sure there are more out there. Will keep thinking...
iixivboots likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page