Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

#31 of 41 Old 06-23-2014, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren94 View Post
Any folate experts here? I have read about the benefits of folate opposed to folic acid but I'm wondering if I should find a prenatal that has folate instead of folic acid or if I should take a folate supplement in addition to my prenatal that contains folic acid? This is all so damn confusing!
I was just reading another place on the web with advice from other moms and they all said folate or folinic acid (not folic acid). And they were ordering it off of Amazon. The other thing they said is whole food prenatals (which they also got on Amazon). I had read about damaging effects of folic acid, simply because it's not natural, it's the man-made version of folate found in foods like eggs, orange juice, etc.

Three kids and one on the way.
#32 of 41 Old 06-23-2014, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alivewithyou View Post
Does anyone have any good recommendations for pregnancy yoga poses? I have never done yoga but would like to get into it since I feel it will be good for flexibility and relaxation.
I think generally in the first bit, most poses are still okay (avoid inversions). However, later on things get loosey-goosey and you'll want to modify the poses. In my first pregnancy I ordered a DVD from Amazon that was alright, but I can't remember the name of the woman. Her voice got on my nerves, but the yoga was fine. I'll look it up when I get home from work. Otherwise, I'd suggest trying to find a prenatal yoga class near you. That way you can meet some other expectant moms, and do yoga safely.

Breastfeeding, cosleeping, homebirthing scientist mama to DD1 07/08, DD2 06/10 and a third on the way 02/15!

#33 of 41 Old 06-23-2014, 08:27 AM

Looks like some of you have some good plans for fitness. I'm hoping to keep up my modest routine which mainly involves riding my bike to work 4 days a week (about 5.5 km per day). Not a lot, but better than nothing, and I find it hard to make time for exercise otherwise. I hope I can manage it. In my other pregnancies I was so sick in the first tri that any moving made me want to puke. if that happens, I'll still walk to work so that will be something

Breastfeeding, cosleeping, homebirthing scientist mama to DD1 07/08, DD2 06/10 and a third on the way 02/15!

#34 of 41 Old 06-23-2014, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I mostly use kettle bells for working out (about 3 times a week) and will continue with those. And I walk my dog twice a day and live in a 3rd floor walk up. That should do it! I was lifting heavy with number 1 10 years ago, but, no ability to get to the gym these days makes that not so doable. Kettle bells are effective and don't take up much space. Great for home work outs.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#35 of 41 Old 06-23-2014, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murrelet View Post
I think generally in the first bit, most poses are still okay (avoid inversions). However, later on things get loosey-goosey and you'll want to modify the poses. In my first pregnancy I ordered a DVD from Amazon that was alright, but I can't remember the name of the woman. Her voice got on my nerves, but the yoga was fine. I'll look it up when I get home from work. Otherwise, I'd suggest trying to find a prenatal yoga class near you. That way you can meet some other expectant moms, and do yoga safely.
murrelet, Was it Shiva Rea? If so, I felt the same about her voice.

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#36 of 41 Old 06-23-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodieanneanton View Post
murrelet, Was it Shiva Rea? If so, I felt the same about her voice.
Yes! Shiva Rea is her name. The yoga seemed great and she shows how to modify poses for all 3 trimesters. Just that voice LOL!
jodieanneanton likes this.

#37 of 41 Old 06-23-2014, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Regarding yoga, I think it is huge to be stretching your piriformis area and psoas. Also to really stretch the back of your legs really well before dropping into a deep squat and hold as long as you can and building up to longer periods of times several times throughout the day. Search "Katy Bowman You Don't Know Squat" to read some good stuff about taking care of your pelvic floor for a less painful pregnancy, a possibly easier birth and recovery time avoiding prolapse and incontinence.
bren94 likes this.
#38 of 41 Old 06-24-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot-to-Dot View Post
Regarding yoga, I think it is huge to be stretching your piriformis area and psoas. Also to really stretch the back of your legs really well before dropping into a deep squat and hold as long as you can and building up to longer periods of times several times throughout the day. Search "Katy Bowman You Don't Know Squat" to read some good stuff about taking care of your pelvic floor for a less painful pregnancy, a possibly easier birth and recovery time avoiding prolapse and incontinence.
Thanks for the link! I checked it out last night and am going to incorporate it into my daily stretching routine. I tend to have a problem with my right SI joint and I really, really need to do the exercises and stretches from my physio. I'm trying to do them in the evening before bed. I'm hoping that having a goal to be able to do a deep squat with heels on the ground will motivate me to keep it up...

#39 of 41 Old 06-24-2014, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
My workout is generally to jog 3-5 miles at a time. I should do this 5 times a week. Even before I got pregnant I was slacking badly and only ran like.. twice per week. Not good enough! 3 is my goal. I'll keep running until I can't anymore.

Now to work on my diet....
#40 of 41 Old 06-24-2014, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

When I was PG with DD2, I had PSD. (How many acronymns can I use in a single sentence?) I had to be very careful about exercising-- any single-leg weight -bearing activity was painful, and squatting and opening up the hips really aggravated it. Right now I'm trying to do what I can, but on days I do barre workouts I already have a dull ache in my pelvis. I've been doing the Long and Lean pregnancy workout DVD which is similar to barre, but more gentle. Walking makes it worse, so I think I'll join the Y this fall and swim through this pregnancy.

I've had very different workouts with each baby. With DD1, I was doing triathlons before I got PG, so I just kept on swimming and running as much as felt good. I stopped cycling because I am klutzy. With my second, I ran 4 miles a day about 3-4 days a week, plus weight lifting. After the first trimester, that was painful so I embarassed myself at Zumba twice a week. I have to remind myself that I'm getting older, my body is changing, my life circumstances are different. It is best to do what I am able and what I enjoy at the time.
#41 of 41 Old 06-25-2014, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, today was the day preggo cravings beat out good intentions. Could not face the smoothie I've been happily glugging for over a year: a variation of berries, bananas, ginger, greens and Kefir. Could not do it. Dumped it, and got a sausage and hot Jack omelet with a side of corned beef hash, real maple syrup on top of both from The diner across the street from work. Then the afternoon need for snacks or sleep hit, and that yogurt i lovingly dolloped rasperries and pumpkin seeds into? Nope nope nope. Bring on the corn nuts and Moxie, thank you very much. Ahhhhh. Epic win for the hormones!!
Dot-to-Dot likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page