Pregnancy Diet and Fitness - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

#1 of 41 Old 06-17-2014, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Pregnancy Diet and Fitness

Hi mamas-- we're all building new lives and I'd love to hear how you're eating and why. Any specific supplements? How about favorite exercise or activities, especially during the exhausting first trimester.

I'm pooped and can't exercise a full hour, but I put in a Physique 57 DVD about 4 times a week and do what I can. I love all the plies because they are so good for the pelvic floor.

As far as diet, I try to follow the Brewer diet, but I am experiencing a carb-attack and can't get my mind off pasta! But fresh fruit and eggs are extra delicious to me right now, so I eat them daily.

I take 1 TBSP of coconut oil and 1 TBSP gelatin in a cup of herbal tea each day to boost my protein and fat intake. I had heard somewhere that gelatin boosts amniotic fluid levels so I took it my last pregnancy. I also have high hopes it helps my skin stretch gently then bounce right back into place.

Any tips/tricks for getting in some physical activity and nourishment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 41 Old 06-17-2014, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I'm doing the Brewer Diet. I've been very happy with it with my other babies. I think I'm going to grind up liver to use in ground beef, because I can't imagine that I'll be able to handle the smell of liver and onions right now (I do usually like it).

I've already started RRL tea. I'm also doing a prenatal, vit c, fermented cod liver oil and butter oil, D3, cal/mag, and zinc.

I'm doing a fitness program that I love, called Fit2b. I have been doing it for a while, and I really love it. They are really big on maternal health and fitness, focusing on a strong core and pelvic floor. Their big thing is diastasis recti awareness, which is so important! Here's their website: www.fit2b.us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#3 of 41 Old 06-17-2014, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Any suggestions to prevent prom or srom(whichever you want to call it). With both my kid my water broke and I never went into labor. First was a csection and second was a VBAC but I still had to be induced both times.
#4 of 41 Old 06-17-2014, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I will have to look up the brewer diet as I have no idea what it is.
I'm taking dha, prenatals, calcium/mag , spirulina in smoothies. For breakfast I have oat bran with fruit and butter. I drink major water.
Most of all I walk everyday with my toddler and put my feet in the ocean.
#5 of 41 Old 06-18-2014, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahknavy View Post
Any suggestions to prevent prom or srom(whichever you want to call it). With both my kid my water broke and I never went into labor. First was a csection and second was a VBAC but I still had to be induced both times.
Vitamin E and bioflavonoids are both good at strengthening the amniotic sac.
#6 of 41 Old 06-18-2014, 06:16 AM

My apartment complex has a pool, so we have been going swimming pretty much very day. I am taking dandelion, Juice Plus Vitamins, cal/mag, and Vit D.
#7 of 41 Old 06-18-2014, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Walking at least 40mn/day, Nordic naturals prenatal(has d3 and an enterric coating so no fishy burps), b complex, kids chewable food based multivitamin. I eat very little grains, mostly org. Corn tortillas and popcorn when carb cravings hit, and I eat greens and protein at every meal. This is mostly due to pre-diabetic tendencies. I cannot stop scarfing dairy and eggs these days, craving those like crazy
#8 of 41 Old 06-18-2014, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

I'll check out the Fit2B-- sounds great. I do FCLO and Synergy food-based prentals because my diet is not so hot right now. I need to start walking again but it is seriously hot where we are so I may start swimming again. In the meantime, I'll huff and puff through my barre workouts.

Sarah, my water broke with my first and labor just didn't start, but my water broke with my second and contractions started an hour later. I knew once I heard the !pop! it was time to get moving. I spoke at length with my widwife about doing everything I could to prevent another induction. She had tons of great suggestions. Do your membranes rupture BEFORE labor?
#9 of 41 Old 06-18-2014, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Denton Midwife,

What does dandelion do? Sounds intriguing!
#10 of 41 Old 06-18-2014, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Wow. Y'all are so healthy! I'm oddly worried about my weight gain this time. I'm not overweight and I am a small framed person, but I feel like this baby is a boy and...this is completely unfounded, but I'm afraid I will gain like I did with my son 5 years ago. I packed it on and he was 10 lbs. I ended up with a csection at 41wk 3 days due to failed induction and Malpositioned baby (they said due to big baby but I don't buy that). So I have this fear that another boy will be a repeat.

All that to say that I intend to cut way back on the junk food! Gonna be hard since the holidays will be during the third trimester.

I haven't considered supplements since I am really bad about taking them. But y'all have inspired me! Maybe I will give it some thought
#11 of 41 Old 06-18-2014, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
If it makes you feel any better, cagnew, I'm right there with you going "Wow, everybody else is HEALTHY and I am... um... significantly less healthy." Doesn't help that I am eating absolute junk these days, when I can manage to eat at all, and nausea has completely torpedoed my walking routine. I just keep telling myself "This is temporary, you'll get back to fresh food, you'll get back to walking..."

I am still quite religious about my prenatal supplement, since I have convinced myself through almost purely magical thinking that high folic acid intake will negate our family's high hereditary risk of cleft issues in this baby. But that's about the only thing I'm doing, at this point.

#12 of 41 Old 06-18-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessTergie View Post
I'll check out the Fit2B-- sounds great. I do FCLO and Synergy food-based prentals because my diet is not so hot right now. I need to start walking again but it is seriously hot where we are so I may start swimming again. In the meantime, I'll huff and puff through my barre workouts.

Sarah, my water broke with my first and labor just didn't start, but my water broke with my second and contractions started an hour later. I knew once I heard the !pop! it was time to get moving. I spoke at length with my widwife about doing everything I could to prevent another induction. She had tons of great suggestions. Do your membranes rupture BEFORE labor?
Yes. The first was 4 days(I wasn't sure it was my water and leaked for 4 days before my next appt then my fluids were so low at that point they wanted to do a csection immediately but settled to attempt an induction.) then the second I had her 46 hours after my water broke)

Oh! Yeah. With my first I walked 3 miles the day he was born and wasn't even having contractions. With my second I was climbing stairs and tried pumping too. My body just doesn't like labor!

Last edited by sarahknavy; 06-18-2014 at 11:23 AM.
#13 of 41 Old 06-18-2014, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I would love suggestions on foods that might help with nausea, if anyone has experience with that. With my first I was horribly nauseated for almost the entire 9 months and I tried things like eating first thing in the morning, eating small protein rich snacks throughout the day, but nothing really helped. Unfortunately greasy foods were the only things I could eat without wanting to immediately throw up, so I ended up eating a lot of fries and pizza, and because I was feeling so horrible I didn't exercise nearly as much as I should have. I would love for things to be different this time around!
#14 of 41 Old 06-18-2014, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahknavy View Post

In addition to a good diet with plenty of proteins, fats and vegetables, my midwife suggests vitamin c and bioflavanoids. Also, no prenatal cervical checks and no garlic or other substances (ppl sometimes do this to rid themselves of GBS) in the vagina.

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#15 of 41 Old 06-18-2014, 01:55 PM

I am keeping my diet pretty healthy. I am not really craving anything and everything makes me sick, so i am trying to stick w lots of salads (easy to do this time of year!!). I am finding bread to be tasty and sticking with homemade or whole wheat varieties smothered with butter. I am not drinking milk right now because we likely won't get along until 16-18 weeks.

Exercise-wise... well, I am kinda slacking. Now that sickness is here. And I think I might try to just push through and walk my kids to and from swim lessons every morning and see how that goes.

Supplement wise (for now), I am on my food based prenatal, Vitamin E and Vitamin B-complex, Drenamin (for adrenal support) and have started my herbal tea/infusion regimen. (Strongly brewed Red Raspberry leaf, alfalfa, oatstraw, nettle (feeling conflicted about this herb because it is a diuretic, though and I know my body needs fluids for rapidly expanding blood volume) and rosehhips) Mmmmmmmmmm mmmmm mmmmm.... delicious!

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#16 of 41 Old 06-18-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodieanneanton View Post
In addition to a good diet with plenty of proteins, fats and vegetables, my midwife suggests vitamin c and bioflavanoids. Also, no prenatal cervical checks and no garlic or other substances (ppl sometimes do this to rid themselves of GBS) in the vagina.

I tried lots of vit c last time but not the bioflavanoids. I will have to try to work that in. I looked up high bioflavanoid foods and I really don't eat much of them.

I have been looking for a yummy pregnancy tea. I only did rrl last time. I love tea. lots and lots.

Sarah- sahm to a little boy and girl with a third blessing due in Feb.
#17 of 41 Old 06-19-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Denton Midwife,

What does dandelion do? Sounds intriguing!
It is a liver cleanser. I have a history of pre-e and it helps prevent it.
#18 of 41 Old 06-19-2014, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I'm doing my best to follow the Nourishing Traditions/Weston A Price pregnancy diet. Raw milk and butter, organ meats, bone broth, lots of greens, pastured meats, good fats like coconut oil, tallow, lard, low-tox seafood (sardines with bones, fish broth). A little sprouted brown rice.

I'm a student Nutritional Therapist, so I have a wholesale account with Biotics, so I go a little supplement crazy since I can get such a good price for them. I take HCL+pepsin with every meal, a comprehensive prenatal (Seeking Health brand), fermented cod liver oil, multiple mineral blend, cal/mag at night, adrenal glandular and a female glandular blend.

Exercise is the bigger challenge for me. It's already so hot here in Austin, I can only take walks in the early early morning. I'm going to try to find a yoga class I can go to at least weekly. I'm trying to balance school (distance) and being a stay-at-home with only a couple hours childcare a week, so exercise is always bumped to the bottom of the priority list.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#19 of 41 Old 06-19-2014, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Luckiest--my bestie is a Nutritional Therapist. I have very seriously considered starting the program but the right time hasn't presented itself yet. It is such an intriguing field!

Wanted to share this recipe-- it is getting hard to get bone broth into the diet now that it is crazy-hot. I got it from Pinterest--sorry I can't cite a better source. They are delish and I give each of my kids a square a day if they eat well-rounded meals.

Chocolate Pregnancy Squares

Put 3 TBSP gelatin in a blender with 1/2 cup cold water. After 5 minutes, add 1 cup cocoa powder, 1 cup melted coconut oil, 1/3 cup (or less) raw honey, 1 TBSP vanilla and 1 1/4 cups boiling water. Blend CAREFULLY. Refrigerate and enjoy in a few hours.

I like that I'm getting extra coconut oil and gelatin. The oil is firm when chilled, so these are firm and not wobbly. Chocolate jell-o sounds gross.
#20 of 41 Old 06-19-2014, 05:04 PM

@DuchessTergie That's awesome! The program is fantastic, I'm learning so much. If you ever have the time for it (it's a good 10 hours/week of work at least, plus travel for the three workshop weekends), it's a great course to take even if you don't want to practice as an NTP. Or they also offer an NTC course, which is all the information but without learning the functional evaluation...but the functional evaluation is the most fascinating part!

I'll have to try that recipe - the big tip-off to this pregnancy before my BFP was that I was ravenously hungry, even thirty minutes after eating a big meal. I'm always looking for high-fat, high-protein, high-satiety snacks. The other day I made butter buttons - 1c softened butter (I used kerrygold), 3T raw honey, a bit of vanilla and cinnamon, the pipe them out in tiny buttons on parchment, keep in the freezer. They are SO good! Part of the WAPF recommended pregnancy diet is 4 tablespoons of butter a day, plus 2 tablespoons coconut oil. Between these two snacks I could get that easily!

#21 of 41 Old 06-19-2014, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckiest View Post
@DuchessTergie That's awesome! The program is fantastic, I'm learning so much. If you ever have the time for it (it's a good 10 hours/week of work at least, plus travel for the three workshop weekends), it's a great course to take even if you don't want to practice as an NTP. Or they also offer an NTC course, which is all the information but without learning the functional evaluation...but the functional evaluation is the most fascinating part!

I'll have to try that recipe - the big tip-off to this pregnancy before my BFP was that I was ravenously hungry, even thirty minutes after eating a big meal. I'm always looking for high-fat, high-protein, high-satiety snacks. The other day I made butter buttons - 1c softened butter (I used kerrygold), 3T raw honey, a bit of vanilla and cinnamon, the pipe them out in tiny buttons on parchment, keep in the freezer. They are SO good! Part of the WAPF recommended pregnancy diet is 4 tablespoons of butter a day, plus 2 tablespoons coconut oil. Between these two snacks I could get that easily!
Oh man, I'm hungry all the time. I make butter buttons too- but I use peppermint instead of the cinnamon. I'll try your variation! My kids go crazy for them.
#22 of 41 Old 06-19-2014, 07:54 PM

Oh my.... That sounds so good...
#23 of 41 Old 06-20-2014, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
This pregnancy I splurged and bought pricey prenatal vitamins as a supplement. It was almost 40 dollars, but should get me through 3 months, so that's not much per month. I was looking at all the supplements that contain folate instead of folic acid, and really I settled on Vitamin Code because of the packaging (thank you, marketing), since my only concern was that it have folate instead of folic acid.

Other than that, I am trying to get vegetables and meat in, haven't been craving sugar at all, so sometimes fruit. We also just got a membership to the YMCA, so will be using that specifically for the daycare and classes (classes always make me do more than I would at home on my own exercise equipment).
#24 of 41 Old 06-20-2014, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie11 View Post
This pregnancy I splurged and bought pricey prenatal vitamins as a supplement. It was almost 40 dollars, but should get me through 3 months, so that's not much per month. I was looking at all the supplements that contain folate instead of folic acid, and really I settled on Vitamin Code because of the packaging (thank you, marketing), since my only concern was that it have folate instead of folic acid.

Other than that, I am trying to get vegetables and meat in, haven't been craving sugar at all, so sometimes fruit. We also just got a membership to the YMCA, so will be using that specifically for the daycare and classes (classes always make me do more than I would at home on my own exercise equipment).
I too chose a vitamin specifically that has folate instead of folic acid. I went with Thorne Basic Prenatal. Dose is 3 capsules per day. I take it at night to avoid the nausea.
#25 of 41 Old 06-20-2014, 03:54 PM

Duchess, luckiest, Those look like great recipes! I will have to try those! I loosely follow WAPF, except I HATE organ meats. Any advice on how to get those down?

#26 of 41 Old 06-20-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodieanneanton View Post
Duchess, luckiest, Those look like great recipes! I will have to try those! I loosely follow WAPF, except I HATE organ meats. Any advice on how to get those down?
I do three things - liverwurst and braunschweiger from US Wellness (I don't love it, but make myself eat it); primal ground beef from Slanker meats (I think it's like 75% ground beef, 25% ground organs, and you really can't tell, especially if you season it a lot, so we use it as taco meat or meat loaf usually); and liver pills from Radiant Life.

None of those options is really cheap...I try to use the primal ground beef once a week, I open up a liverwurst maybe once a month and eat it until it's gone, and liver pills as a backup if I haven't been doing either of those. You can also cut up raw liver into tiny pieces, freeze it (for at least two weeks), then take it like pills. I'd take it with an HCl supplement since it's raw and you aren't chewing it, so you want to really make sure it's getting broken down and also sterilized.

#27 of 41 Old 06-20-2014, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I'm following a mostly clean eating diet. I guess it closely aligns with WAP type diet. Have seen the butter buttons all over the internet. I've GOT to make some!

I'm taking Seeking Health Optimal Prenatal capsules. I, too, sought out something with folate instead of folic acid. Also taking magnesium glycinate capsules, mineral drops in water, magnesium oil spray, vitamin B complex, trace mineral complex, iodine tablets, milk thistle (have been taking for a year to prevent HG but currently having mild nausea), and either 15 minutes in sun or D3 spray.

I've started every morning with a chia seed drink (3 scoops chia seeds in mason jar of water + fresh squeezed lemon) and then snack on a salad of romaine lettuce, chickpeas and chicken. I'm still juicing (mostly beet greens, cucumbers, carrots, celery, ginger and lemon).

Energy has been great until today - my first day of nausea at 5 wks 3 days. Knowing this was coming, last weekend I made 4 batches of muffins, 4 gallon Ziploc bags of granola and 70 pumpkin quinoa pancakes. Now my girls will at least have a homemade breakfast for the rest of the summer and all my dh has to do it warm it up, butter it and serve with some fruit. Wishing I'd been able to make tons of freezer dinners as well. Today my 2 yr old wouldn't eat her sautéed mushrooms unless I fed them to her one by one and it was so disgusting!! Trying to sip on lemon/fizzy mineral water right now. How on Earth do you make yourself exercise when nauseous? I wish I could...wondering if it would even help the nausea?
#28 of 41 Old 06-20-2014, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Luckiest--my bestie is a Nutritional Therapist. I have very seriously considered starting the program but the right time hasn't presented itself yet. It is such an intriguing field!

Wanted to share this recipe-- it is getting hard to get bone broth into the diet now that it is crazy-hot. I got it from Pinterest--sorry I can't cite a better source. They are delish and I give each of my kids a square a day if they eat well-rounded meals.

Chocolate Pregnancy Squares

Put 3 TBSP gelatin in a blender with 1/2 cup cold water. After 5 minutes, add 1 cup cocoa powder, 1 cup melted coconut oil, 1/3 cup (or less) raw honey, 1 TBSP vanilla and 1 1/4 cups boiling water. Blend CAREFULLY. Refrigerate and enjoy in a few hours.

I like that I'm getting extra coconut oil and gelatin. The oil is firm when chilled, so these are firm and not wobbly. Chocolate jell-o sounds gross.
These sound so good. Thank you for posting this!!trying to figure out how to *sticky* this so I can find it when cooking.
#29 of 41 Old 06-22-2014, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Does anyone have any good recommendations for pregnancy yoga poses? I have never done yoga but would like to get into it since I feel it will be good for flexibility and relaxation.

Kyle and Jordan - Married June 22nd, 2013

TTC #1 since October 2013.

My chart -

One loss - March 2014 (5 weeks)

BFP on June 13, 2014 - EDD 2/25/2014
First Beta at 12DPO-186. 15DPO-598!

#30 of 41 Old 06-23-2014, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Any folate experts here? I have read about the benefits of folate opposed to folic acid but I'm wondering if I should find a prenatal that has folate instead of folic acid or if I should take a folate supplement in addition to my prenatal that contains folic acid? This is all so damn confusing!

So many of you sound extremely healthy! I think if my math is correct, we're all in our first trimesters, right? I can hardly muster the energy to walk upstairs let alone go on daily walks! You go, fit mamas!

June 18th, 2014
EDD February 26th, 2015

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page