Progesterone - WWYD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 06-19-2014, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Progesterone - WWYD

Waiting to hear back from my midwife, but I'd like to hear your opinions/experiences in the meantime!

Backstory - I had two losses late last year. When my cycle came back at 2 years PP, my luteal phases were extremely short (5 or 6 days) and my cycles were 6-8 weeks long, very irregular. Over last summer DS "day weaned" (only nursed a couple times at night) and I think that's what allowed me to get pregnant then. But right after my BFP he cranked up the nursing again, back to like 6 times during the day and 3 or 4 at night. I know nursing during pregnancy isn't a problem for a lot of women, but I think that the sudden uptick right after I got pregnant contributed to the loss.

We took some time off TTC, waiting to recover and hoping for DS to wean. He night weaned in March and I started having 28 day cycles with 14 day luteal phases. He fully weaned about a month ago.

Last cycle (with DS still nursing a tiny bit) I had a luteal phase study done with an OB my midwives recommended. My results came back - estrogen very normal, progesterone JUST barely within range. My graph almost exactly followed the line of the minimum range.

OB prescribed 200mg progesterone to take during luteal phase (didn't know I was pregnant at the appointment). I'm really on the fence about taking it. I really don't like the idea of taking a hormone unless it's totally necessary, and my levels were TECHNICALLY within range. It seems like a really high dose, too! I'm wondering about maybe doing progesterone cream/oil instead, although I know the OB won't endorse that. 200mg when I'm not crazily low just seems like overkill to me.

I guess I'm wondering what to do in the immediate term - I have the pills sitting in my kitchen. I could either take those, or go get some progesterone cream while I wait to get labs done.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2014, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was on progesterone for a luteal phase defect, and I'm still taking them. I will say that 200 mg is the "normal" dose. If you don't mind me asking, are they having you take them orally or vaginally? Vaginally is supposed to have fewer side effects while putting the progesterone where it's needed. That's what I'm doing.

I had progesterone drawn twice, the first time was as you said, just barely within range. The second time it's jumped considerably. If you're not comfortable taking the progesterone until you know whether you need it for certain, if I were you I'd push to have labs done sooner rather than later in order to get a solid feel for your levels.

Crunchy mama to D, 1/29/13, working part time at a freestanding birth center

Old 06-19-2014, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Yes, if it is oral, so much is wasted that they need to give you ton. Vaginal is better. Get them to make you suppositories - much cheaper and less gross than the gel.

And yes, I would do it. There's very little downside other than the cost and having to stick something in your hooha.

ETA: Sorry! Didn't know this was in a DDC until I responded. Anyway, I got 100 mg to put in my vagina once per night and I did that from week 6 through 13. My level was 9 at its lowest, which is the very bottom of normal for 1st trimester.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Old 06-19-2014, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I've been on vaginal progesterone suppositories for a short luteal phase and will remain on it until 12 weeks (I think). There isn't any real documented risk to taking it, and if it is going to be the thing that allows this little one to stick, then I'm okay with that!!!

I've been told that blood progesterone levels aren't reliable as they fluctuate constantly, so the number you are seeing on lab results may not be very accurate.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Thanks everyone! Yes, they are oral pills. I talked to my midwife today - we both agree that I should be taking some form of progesterone, and she thought the cream would be adequate. So I'm going to take the pills just until I can get my hands on some cream (I ordered some progestelle oil that should be here next week, but I think I found a pharmacy that sells cream locally so I'll try to get it tomorrow). Then next week I'll do lab work for progesterone and HcG.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)

User Tag List