Recipes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

Old 06-19-2014, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Recipes

Sounds like there's some great tricks for eating deliciously well that are floating around conversations (I can't wait to try the chocolate squares.and butter buttons I read about, wishing I remembered where those were/who posted them, will seek out after...) Thanks for the great inspirations, thought it might be nice to have a thread to put all those suggestions in one place for snack attack time! Here's my current favorite breakfast:
GRAIN FREE BANANA PANCAKES
- 2 eggs
- 1 banana
- butter
Mush the banana as much as possible, whip in the eggs. Fry in good butter (or whatever you like, coconut oils good too), top with whatever you fancy :
Ideas:
Sweet: maple syrup, honey, fruit, yogurt, choc chips, peanut butter
Savory:sour cream with dill and salmon, curry mixed into cottage cheese

My.buddy told me about these, and they are endlessly delicious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2014, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
We make these all the time! LOVE them, and so so easy. I usually make a double or triple batch so we can have them for a few days. I have seasonal access to raw butter, so right now I'm smearing them with loads of it!

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
Old 06-20-2014, 07:56 PM

Location: Driftless Region of Iowa, on a beautiful little farm.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Moar Recipes please. I'll be trying this one tomorrow morning!

And, gosh, raw butter? That sounds like a dream. I wake up having dreamt about access to wholesome, raw dairy products. You are the Luckiest!

Old 06-21-2014, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
I love our raw butter over here! It is available through our herdshare! It is delicious!
@momma2finn Maybe email the head of your local Weston A. Price chapter? They might be able to direct you to a local source! http://www.westonaprice.org/get-invo...al-chapter/#ia

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

Old 06-21-2014, 06:16 PM

Location: Driftless Region of Iowa, on a beautiful little farm.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodieanneanton View Post
I love our raw butter over here! It is available through our herdshare! It is delicious!
@momma2finn Maybe email the head of your local Weston A. Price chapter? They might be able to direct you to a local source! http://www.westonaprice.org/get-invo...al-chapter/#ia
This is awesome! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I can't wait to hear back from the head of the closest chapter. OH, yum. Fresh milk!!!!! (I'm drooling a little)

Old 06-21-2014, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
If we're sharing recipes, here's a link to my favourite muffins:
http://www.marthastewart.com/339779/...orning-muffins

I know, I know, it's Martha, but they're pretty healthy. I usually sub half the flour for whole wheat, and add a tsp of cinnamon. My girls love them, and the littlest will actually eat carrots that way!

My other favourite thing to do lately is to add 1/2 cup of pureed beets to my regular pancake recipe. Makes pink pancakes that the kids love, and they're eating beets!

Breastfeeding, cosleeping, homebirthing scientist mama to DD1 07/08, DD2 06/10 and a third on the way 02/15!

Old 06-22-2014, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murrelet View Post
My other favourite thing to do lately is to add 1/2 cup of pureed beets to my regular pancake recipe. Makes pink pancakes that the kids love, and they're eating beets!
This is a great idea! Do you cook the beets first? I'm not sure my food processor could handle raw beets.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
Old 06-22-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckiest View Post
This is a great idea! Do you cook the beets first? I'm not sure my food processor could handle raw beets.
Yes they're cooked. I usually roast them whole then purée a bunch. Then I put them in the freezer in 1/2 cup amounts and pull them out of the freezer as needed.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
I find beets too minerally tasting, but like the idea of pink pancakes. This is silly, but do the pancakes taste vegetal or are they more sweet? I might try a raspberry sauce and maybe stir in some cocao (SP?) nibs if they are more on the sweet side.

As far as pancakes go, I make Japanese okonomiyaki for my kids frequently. I make a basic pancake batter, but thin it with lots of milk and add shredded cheese, raw shrimp, and lots and lots of shredded cabbage. Sounds nasty, but I HAVE to eat mine topped with BBQ sauce and my homemade garlic aioli, and bonito flakes if I can find any. To die for-- I especially appreciate crazy flavor combos when I'm PG!
Old 06-24-2014, 12:36 PM

They actually don't taste very beety, and they're sweet. I usually smother mine in peanut butter and maple syrup.

Your savoury pancakes sound delicious too! I'll have to try those.

Breastfeeding, cosleeping, homebirthing scientist mama to DD1 07/08, DD2 06/10 and a third on the way 02/15!

Old 08-13-2014, 08:30 PM

Resurrecting this thread with a high-protein breakfast recipe. If I don'tstart the day with protein I have a hard time meeting my goal, which I don't obssesively track, but....

Anyway, Breakfast Cheesecake:

1 cup ricotta (if you're using homemade, drain out the whey)
1 egg
splash of vanilla
spoonful of honey or maple syrup
citrus zest if you're ambitious

Combine in a small bowl, bake at 350 until puffed and golden. I use a deep ramekin, so mine bakes for close to 45 minutes. If you double the recipe, and spread it in a pie plate, it cooks much faster.

I top mine with whatever fruit we have in the house. If we have some sourdough handy, I toast some up and spread the cheesecake on that.

Murlette, I'm making your beet pancakes tomorrow. I've been sneaking in a cube of pureed beets into our red smoothies. Can't even taste it and I'm happy to be eating beets!
Old 08-14-2014, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I am desperately in need of easy to make lunches that can be eaten on the go without being heated (I know, a tall order).

at least 2-3 days a week I work a full day providing outreach therapy (for maternal depression), so I drive around all day spending an hour in a house then with a 1/2 hour to get to my next appointment (and to snack). When I have a couple of hours in the office, I can heat something up, but my outreach days are getting challenging.

Thanks!

Old 08-14-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestlover75 View Post
I am desperately in need of easy to make lunches that can be eaten on the go without being heated (I know, a tall order).

at least 2-3 days a week I work a full day providing outreach therapy (for maternal depression), so I drive around all day spending an hour in a house then with a 1/2 hour to get to my next appointment (and to snack). When I have a couple of hours in the office, I can heat something up, but my outreach days are getting challenging.

Thanks!
I really like hard boiled eggs with hummus in a wrap. Normally I'd add spinach, but lately greens are off the menu Basically, I make egg salad but with hummus instead of mayo. Extra protein!

Old 08-14-2014, 11:34 AM

I buy Organic Prairie lunch meat (no funky junk, just meat, water, salt), then make roll-ups with a slice of meat and a slice of cheese. If you freeze the lunch meat for 2 weeks, it kills pathogens. I also use a few stainless containers to pack olives, nuts, cheese cubes, cherry tomatoes, and other finger foods and cut up veggies. Mini fritattas can be eaten at room temp, as can quiche muffins or any other muffin-- we like banana bread with cream cheese and fruits for some lunches on the go, too.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestlover75 View Post
I tried that once, I got some Raw Food bars (there are different brands/kinds) that is all seeds and nuts and things like that. You do get sick of them, but they keep you full and nourished and are great for on the go.

Three kids and one on the way.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Duchess, OMGosh! Breakfast cheesecake? I am gonna have to try that! Sounds delightful!!!

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

Old 08-15-2014, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, the thought of hard boiled eggs gets me queasy. :P And for some odd reason my nausea has kicked it up a notch this week (13). My instinct is that I need to increase my protein and reduce sugar intake now that I am in 2nd trimester... but wow, it's really hard!

Old 08-15-2014, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I made granola bars yesterday, but made the mistake of using some older stuff in my cupboards for the granola. Totally just tastes like old ingredients to me. The kids like them though, so that's good.

Hah... I spilled a big bag of chocolate chips yesterday and my 16 month old started helping me pick them up and put them in the bag...until she realized they were edible and yummy. Not a single one made it from her hand to the bag after that. I let her eat a few and then shoo'ed her away

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 

User Tag List