• 1 Post By momma2finn
  • 2 Post By murrelet
  • 1 Post By murrelet

#1 of 10 Old 06-19-2014, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Recipes

Sounds like there's some great tricks for eating deliciously well that are floating around conversations (I can't wait to try the chocolate squares.and butter buttons I read about, wishing I remembered where those were/who posted them, will seek out after...) Thanks for the great inspirations, thought it might be nice to have a thread to put all those suggestions in one place for snack attack time! Here's my current favorite breakfast:
GRAIN FREE BANANA PANCAKES
- 2 eggs
- 1 banana
- butter
Mush the banana as much as possible, whip in the eggs. Fry in good butter (or whatever you like, coconut oils good too), top with whatever you fancy :
Ideas:
Sweet: maple syrup, honey, fruit, yogurt, choc chips, peanut butter
Savory:sour cream with dill and salmon, curry mixed into cottage cheese

My.buddy told me about these, and they are endlessly delicious
momma2finn and DuchessTergie like this.
#2 of 10 Old 06-20-2014, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
We make these all the time! LOVE them, and so so easy. I usually make a double or triple batch so we can have them for a few days. I have seasonal access to raw butter, so right now I'm smearing them with loads of it!

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#3 of 10 Old 06-20-2014, 06:56 PM

Location: Driftless Region of Iowa, on a beautiful little farm.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Moar Recipes please. I'll be trying this one tomorrow morning!

And, gosh, raw butter? That sounds like a dream. I wake up having dreamt about access to wholesome, raw dairy products. You are the Luckiest!

#4 of 10 Old 06-21-2014, 04:22 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I love our raw butter over here! It is available through our herdshare! It is delicious!
@momma2finn Maybe email the head of your local Weston A. Price chapter? They might be able to direct you to a local source! http://www.westonaprice.org/get-invo...al-chapter/#ia
momma2finn likes this.

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#5 of 10 Old 06-21-2014, 05:16 PM

Location: Driftless Region of Iowa, on a beautiful little farm.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodieanneanton View Post
I love our raw butter over here! It is available through our herdshare! It is delicious!
@momma2finn Maybe email the head of your local Weston A. Price chapter? They might be able to direct you to a local source! http://www.westonaprice.org/get-invo...al-chapter/#ia
This is awesome! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I can't wait to hear back from the head of the closest chapter. OH, yum. Fresh milk!!!!! (I'm drooling a little)
jodieanneanton likes this.

#6 of 10 Old 06-21-2014, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
If we're sharing recipes, here's a link to my favourite muffins:
http://www.marthastewart.com/339779/...orning-muffins

I know, I know, it's Martha, but they're pretty healthy. I usually sub half the flour for whole wheat, and add a tsp of cinnamon. My girls love them, and the littlest will actually eat carrots that way!

My other favourite thing to do lately is to add 1/2 cup of pureed beets to my regular pancake recipe. Makes pink pancakes that the kids love, and they're eating beets!
momma2finn and jodieanneanton like this.

Breastfeeding, cosleeping, homebirthing scientist mama to DD1 07/08, DD2 06/10 and a third on the way 02/15!

#7 of 10 Old 06-22-2014, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murrelet View Post
My other favourite thing to do lately is to add 1/2 cup of pureed beets to my regular pancake recipe. Makes pink pancakes that the kids love, and they're eating beets!
This is a great idea! Do you cook the beets first? I'm not sure my food processor could handle raw beets.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#8 of 10 Old 06-22-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckiest View Post
This is a great idea! Do you cook the beets first? I'm not sure my food processor could handle raw beets.
Yes they're cooked. I usually roast them whole then purée a bunch. Then I put them in the freezer in 1/2 cup amounts and pull them out of the freezer as needed.
jodieanneanton likes this.
#9 of 10 Old 06-24-2014, 11:01 AM

I find beets too minerally tasting, but like the idea of pink pancakes. This is silly, but do the pancakes taste vegetal or are they more sweet? I might try a raspberry sauce and maybe stir in some cocao (SP?) nibs if they are more on the sweet side.

As far as pancakes go, I make Japanese okonomiyaki for my kids frequently. I make a basic pancake batter, but thin it with lots of milk and add shredded cheese, raw shrimp, and lots and lots of shredded cabbage. Sounds nasty, but I HAVE to eat mine topped with BBQ sauce and my homemade garlic aioli, and bonito flakes if I can find any. To die for-- I especially appreciate crazy flavor combos when I'm PG!
#10 of 10 Old 06-24-2014, 11:36 AM

They actually don't taste very beety, and they're sweet. I usually smother mine in peanut butter and maple syrup.

Your savoury pancakes sound delicious too! I'll have to try those.

Breastfeeding, cosleeping, homebirthing scientist mama to DD1 07/08, DD2 06/10 and a third on the way 02/15!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page