Mothering Forum banner

How many people have you told?

3K views 48 replies 25 participants last post by  hisandherstres 
#1 ·
With my first two pregnancies, I didn't tell anyone besides my husband until 10-12 weeks. This time, I've told my best friend and think I'll tell my parents next week (5.5 wks) b/c I'll be at their house and don't think I can hide the pooch and lack of drinking all that well.

#3 ·
I've only told my husband and two friends. I'll tell family and other friends once I feel comfortable that this one is sticking around, although I'm not sure when that will be.

Everyone is going to be shocked, though, as we have been telling them for years that our daughter made us "One and Done!" My mom will laugh at me for changing my mind like she told me I would.

#4 ·
Even though we miscarried super early last time we didn't want to be afraid this time so we have told close friends and family. Probably about 10 people total. I won't go "public" until after at least my 8 week ultrasound and I'll see how I feel at that point. I also told one coworker who helps me lost heavy stuff when I need it at work. She is very good at keeping secrets too. :)

#5 ·
We've told my parents and my sister. We're holding off on telling the kids until after we hear a heartbeat, because after that everyone will know! I feel like we'll probably spread the news more widely at that point, and I'll probably tell work then too as we'll likely need to figure out if they'll find a mat leave replacement for me or not.

Who knows though... The last time I was working and pregnant I had to spill the beans pretty early (9 weeks I think) because I was too sick to function properly. I'm still hoping that won't happen this time, but the afternoon/evening queasy is starting already :(

#6 ·
So far only my husband and my cousin (who is more like my sister) know. And two friends from my grad cohort guessed at a party when I wasn't drinking last Saturday, but I clumsily dodged outright telling them. We'll announce to our parents/families next weekend. It's crazy hard not to just blurt it out!

#7 ·
About a bajillion people know about this bean. ;) I have told most family and close friends. I tell the people that I know will pray for me and not be a total jerk if I were to have a miscarriage. I know from past experience who not to tell. It won't be announce to the "facebook" type friends until I feel like it. Last time, I didn't make an announcement there. lol. This time, I don't know... We'll see.

#8 ·
We've actually told quite a few people fairly early on, I guess! Close family was pretty immediate; my best work friend, officemate, and supervisor all got told pretty much straight off the bat, too. Now that we've seen the heartbeat, all bets are basically off--we told the older two kids right away after the ultrasound, I've been telling everybody in my office this week, will call the remaining family members who haven't heard, and then we're going full steam ahead with a goofy family announcement video to post on Facebook.

#9 ·
My 3 siblings, 3 friends, and my immediate co-worker/buddy/boss person. Waiting till 12 weeks to tell grandparental units and future big brother, but my mom guessed.

#10 ·
Since this is our first we've been pretty big mouthed about it. However we've tried to limit ourselves to only telling those who we think will be supportive and positive, and our judgment hasn't proven spot on with that. I'm not sure when I'll go public with it. I don't really like the idea of announcing on Facebook because there are some people on there that I barely know and don't need the judgment from (like distant relatives).

#11 ·
My sister, her partner, and everyone at my work knows. We're waiting to tell DD at the end of this trimester. I'd love to tell my mom, but Dh says it's not fair since we can't tell his mom. But we can't tell Mil without telling the entire universe. So it goes. :lol:

#12 ·
Everybody around me knows except for our families. This is number five for us and I'm anticipating some less-than-ideal reactions. I know I'm going to be very defensive for my baby and I don't feel up to dealing with it right now. Sad, but true!

#45 ·
Pretty much, this:

Well, my family knows. Our local friends know (and are all super-excited, we run with a lot of larger families) - and pretty much anyone who asks or hears a conversation I'm involved in!

This is #6 for us. DH's family is big into 'get on the v-train' hassling, so he doesn't want them to know yet. SO, no FB announcement for me yet. My grandmother actually told me, "Oh no!" I didn't expect that from her. :crying: The rest of my side has been getting better with their reactions, thankfully. :serious:

#13 ·
So varied in our tellings!

I've let my co-worker know... I do lots of things at work that I would prefer to opt out of (chainsaw work, chemical exposure, etc), and thought it would be appropriate to share with him, so he realized why I was going all soft on him. I've told my landlords, who are wonderful people. One of them accidentally said something this past weekend when my family was around, but I think my dad was wigged out in technology, so he didn't really register.

I really want to share with my kiddo's, but after our miscarriage, I'm trying to wait until the first trimester ends... and then some. While they rolled with the loss last time, there was some disappointment (they're 13 and 16... and the 13 year old was really eager to finally play the big bro role).

I shared with Facebook last time the day that I hit 12 weeks, and miscarried that night... Go figure! So, that will hold off for a while, too.

It's easier to keep this a "secret" this time, knowing what could come... Last time I felt like I was lying to people by not telling them... This time I'm wondering if they're guessing by this incredible boob growth the past few days!!!

#16 ·
I told my best friend first and then my husband on Father's Day. Then revealed it to my other best friend and all family on my side since we had a family reunion and I am so ill. Couldn't have kept that secret! But they have strict instructions to not say anything to our kids or on facebook. NOBODY on my husband's side knows. With my first daughter, my MIL named her and referred to her as Katie many times. It really got on my nerves. We did not name her Katie. With my second daughter, she said she "digitally enhanced" the ultrasound (one taken before the genitals had even formed) and that she could tell it was a boy. She announced publicly on facebook that "It's a boy!" Imagine my delight when we found out months later that it was a girl. Muah ha ha ha. So anyway, I don't really want to tell her until the baby is actually born. :p We hardly ever see her so we really could do it if we wanted to. But I will probably let his side of the family know after we find out the gender at the 18-20 week anatomy scan.

#17 ·
Well I told 6 people to start off with. I was bleeding and needed the support. Well that proved to be a mistake. 2 of them told other people when they knew better. But the bleeding went away. Thank goodness. And then I went to my best friends birthday party and the house was packed. I left with more than half knowing as I wasn't drinking and my loud normal self. So I was getting the 21 questions. Haha. But we won't publicly announce until after our first appointment. Which is only 10 days away. But seems to be taking forrreeevvverr. Haha. Anyways. On that day I will be 10 weeks. Yay!

#18 ·
@Dot-to-Dot, your MIL sounds like a piece of work! Oh my gosh! I wouldn't blame you one bit for keeping mum until the baby was born, but it's very kind of you to consider letting her in on it at the midpoint. Naming your child... Announcing the sex, especially when it's pretty much made up?! Good Lord!

Here's our goofy family video announcement. We're posting it on Facebook on... Wednesday, of course. :)

#22 ·
@TeeThatsMe that video is so cute! I wish I could come up with some special way to tell people. So far I've mostly been going with "So, um, I've decided I'm telling people this now..."

I told my parents last night, and my brother had inadvertently given me a great setup for it. I'd told him and his girlfriend earlier that day, then later he was talking to our mom on the phone and his girlfriend was talking about it in the background, but all my mom heard was him saying "shh, Marla, my mom doesn't know yet!" Mom thought *they* were having a baby, and started asking me about it when I went over for dinner. Perfect setup!

#21 ·
We've told our parents and whomever I happened to talk to recently on the phone since everyone is in other states besides ours.

I would like to take this opportunity to mention that if any of you have yet to tell your employer about your pregnancy, the best way is in writing, preferably an email. Then print it out, or print out whatever reply you get and save it. During my last pregnancy I told one of my direct supervisors in his office and there was a meeting shortly after that I got invited to about what a terrible job I was doing. Looking back, they were a smaller company so FMLA didn't apply to them and I think they just wanted rid of me so as not to pay the healthcare costs. But it didn't work. I did do some serious reading about the laws and saved every email that I ever got showing I was doing a good job (and I was actually doing a great job), just in case it would need taken to court. I also got an email from a co-worker of a forwarded email showing that they knew that had been sent on the date I told them, so I was covered in case they terminated me. It's sad that we live in a society that is this way, but we do, and it does happen. I didn't return to that job after maternity leave and gave them plenty of notice so they could have my replacement ready well before I would have returned. As a professional courtesy.

#25 ·
Well guys, tomorrow is the big day where we break the news to my family.

Holy cow, I am NERVOUS. I'm kind of having a panic attack just thinking about it.

The plan for my parents/sister is to give them each a wrapped gift under the guise of a surprise Christmas in July. We’ll give my parents each a grandparent mug from my university, and we’ll give my sister a McDonald’s gift card for a future fry date with her niece/nephew (something she keeps saying she wants to do as an aunt).

Hopefully this all goes well and doesn't backfire on us!

#27 ·
Just got made at work by one of the adults with disabilities I work with, who asked if I was pregnant. I replied that it was a very personal question that was socially inappropriate to ask, avoiding ab answer all together. Don't think I'll be able to wait till 12weeks to tell people, I'm already showingenough that its hard to hide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.