Fast food is all I can eat - worried about gaining weight - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

#1 of 33 Old 06-27-2014, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Fast food is all I can eat - worried about gaining weight

I am super nauseous and bracing myself for a third HG pregnancy. However, so far, I haven't thrown up at 6 weeks and 3 days. My nausea is 24/7, unrelenting. Everything makes me gag. BUT, if someone else prepares food for me then it suddenly seems appetizing and I can get it down. I rarely eat fast food (Chipotle usually) but now I am craving everything fast food; Arby's roast beef sandwiches and pastries, McDonald's fries, Chick-Fil-A sandwich and waffle fries, Dairy Queen cheeseburger, Burger King bacon cheeseburger, egg rolls and crab rangoon....I want cheese, bread, bacon and fries!!!!

Now, normally I eat a lot of greens and I juice most days. I get my fill of healthy fats. I know my way around the kitchen in order to make healthy stuff taste great. But I can't get up to do it. All I can think about is stuff that comes from a drive thru. My last 4 meals were fast food. Have any of you ever been this sick with a pregnancy and just had to eat whatever your body wouldn't throw up? Did you gain a bunch of weight? I'm already feeling pretty awful about myself and my lack of showers, messy hair, dumpy mood. This is so depressing!
#2 of 33 Old 06-27-2014, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I am totally with you! I don't want to fix anything because I'm afraid of the smells, but watching food on TV I'm like "I could eat that!" Chipotle is probably the freshest and best fast food you can do, so definitely go there if your budget allows. They are almost entirely GMO free, too.

I also have not been doing my smoothies (well, I do fruit ones, but haven't been adding the kale and other greens) or lemon water. I can't wait until the nausea subsides so I can get back to eating healthy.

Three kids and one on the way.
#3 of 33 Old 06-27-2014, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Right there with you ladies. Goodbye green smoothies. Hello bacon and eggs, donuts, and soda pop. So long salad lunches. Am worried bc had Gestational diabetes w/my son, and really hoping to avoid getting it again. Usually am almost grains free. Now? All I want is bread bagels pasta etc.....
#4 of 33 Old 06-27-2014, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Same boat. I rarely eat fast food and all I can eat are potatoes and cheese and Arby's roast beef. I walk through the grocery store making a yucky face because it all makes me gag. My first pregnancy was like this. I actually lost weight first tri even though I'm pretty sure all I ate was Burger King. It got better at 15 weeks and I was back to normal.
#5 of 33 Old 06-27-2014, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I am not eating too much fast food, but the sheer quantities of food that I have to eat to keep from being nauseous has me concerned about weight gain. Remember to eat protein every 2-3 hours. It will help with nausea and not make you want as much fast food.
#6 of 33 Old 06-28-2014, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
No nausea yet, but I'm ALWAYS hungry and most of the time nothing really sounds good. Trying to avoid sugar at all costs, because I know it will get me on a roller coaster I can't get off.

One possibility for anyone who is averse to meat and fat and/or only wants carby things - might be a cholesterol deficiency. Your body is using lots if cholesterol to make these new hormones, and it also needs cholesterol to make bile, and it will prioritize hormones over bile. Lack of bile will make you averse to meat and fat and they'll make you nauseated if you do eat them. BUT your body can manufacture cholesterol out of carbs, so you wind up craving bread/pasta/sweets because it's a way to get cholesterol without needing to use bile.

So maybe egg yolks in smoothies, also taking bile salts with fatty meals. Butter has cholesterol and is mostly short/medium chain fatty acids that don't need much bile to be utilized. So if you must eat bread, butter the heck out of it!
Valerie11 likes this.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#7 of 33 Old 06-28-2014, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
@luckiest - Thanks for your info. I have noticed that I am only wanting to eat carbs... carbs and eggs. I will look into what you mentioned about bile salts and I don't need anyone to tell me to butter my bread liberally... but now I will be less guilty about the amount of butter I use! Thanks again!!!
bereamama likes this.

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#8 of 33 Old 06-28-2014, 03:07 PM

It's been kind of the opposite for me this time. I can't stand the smell of bread or carby things and I just want vegetables and fruits (and all those beautiful things that chefs make on tv). Maybe I'm making more than enough bile and cholesterol. Not sure.

#9 of 33 Old 06-28-2014, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Same. I've been craving veggies like crazy! I went to Luby's (an old person cafeteria style restaurant) last night and got a veggie plate and PACKED it with spinach. I ate so much damn spinach. It's helpful because my goal is to try not to gain any weight this pregnancy. (since I have about 30 lbs extra)

June 18th, 2014
EDD February 26th, 2015
#10 of 33 Old 06-28-2014, 06:51 PM

@bren94 . Weight is something you should talk to your care provider about... I am pretty sure that for overweight women, the recommendation is to gain 15-25 lbs. (I don't think not gaining is recommended for anyone.)

Here is a breakdown of a woman's added weight (notice, most of it ISN'T you!!):
Baby: 7-8 pounds
Placenta: 1-2 pounds
Amniotic fluid: 2 pounds
Uterus: 2 pounds
Maternal breast tissue: 2 pounds
Maternal blood : 4 pounds
Fluids in maternal tissue: 4 pounds
Maternal fat and nutrient stores: 7 pounds

My philosophy is eat healthy and your body will gain the weight it needs to function and sustain a pregnancy. Some women gain more than others and are still perfectly healthy and normal.

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#11 of 33 Old 06-28-2014, 09:12 PM

@jodieanneanton thanks for the info! I will definitely talk to my CNM about it. I guess what I meant is that I'll be adopting a lot if healthier habits and doing that tends to cause me to shed weight pretty quickly so if I'm losing weight while gaining baby weight it might just even out. But we'll see what happens! I definitely had no intention of doing anything dangerous or unhealthy! I'll just let my body do it's thing
jodieanneanton likes this.
#12 of 33 Old 06-29-2014, 04:09 AM

@bren94 I didn't mean to imply that you would! I hope you are not offended! Sorry if I came off as preachy.

#13 of 33 Old 06-29-2014, 05:49 AM

I am overweight, too, by about 25 lbs. already, but I still expect to gain. Hopefully muscles to help with the other weight.

Please remember, you are not liked nor loved for how much you weigh, you are liked or loved because of who you are.

#14 of 33 Old 06-29-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren94 View Post
@jodieanneanton thanks for the info! I will definitely talk to my CNM about it. I guess what I meant is that I'll be adopting a lot if healthier habits and doing that tends to cause me to shed weight pretty quickly so if I'm losing weight while gaining baby weight it might just even out. But we'll see what happens! I definitely had no intention of doing anything dangerous or unhealthy! I'll just let my body do it's thing
That is what I did with my last pregnancy. I would lose some and then gain some. I did end up gaining about 18lbs total which I felt pretty good about. I am hoping for something similar this time. However, I am eating so much to keep the nausea under control, I don't see that working the same. Oh well, I would rather gain weight than be puking all day again.
#15 of 33 Old 06-29-2014, 10:12 AM

@jodieanneanton no! I didn't think that at all! It's so hard to convey emotions through text accurately! I really did appreciate the info! I'm not offended in the slightest

@Valerie11 Oh girl, I know! My main concern is to be healthy and make sure I have a healthy baby!
jodieanneanton likes this.
#16 of 33 Old 06-29-2014, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
All I can think about is Taco Bell tacos. Ordinarily that is the grossest thing in the world to me, but right now? Oh my God, gimme. (DH is like, "I won't let you feed that crap to our baby!" and I'm like, "do NOT get in my way.")

#17 of 33 Old 06-29-2014, 12:36 PM

Yo quiero Taco Bell now that you say that. This thread is dangerous. lol.

#18 of 33 Old 06-29-2014, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot-to-Dot View Post
I am super nauseous and bracing myself for a third HG pregnancy. However, so far, I haven't thrown up at 6 weeks and 3 days. My nausea is 24/7, unrelenting. Everything makes me gag. BUT, if someone else prepares food for me then it suddenly seems appetizing and I can get it down. I rarely eat fast food (Chipotle usually) but now I am craving everything fast food; Arby's roast beef sandwiches and pastries, McDonald's fries, Chick-Fil-A sandwich and waffle fries, Dairy Queen cheeseburger, Burger King bacon cheeseburger, egg rolls and crab rangoon....I want cheese, bread, bacon and fries!!!!

Now, normally I eat a lot of greens and I juice most days. I get my fill of healthy fats. I know my way around the kitchen in order to make healthy stuff taste great. But I can't get up to do it. All I can think about is stuff that comes from a drive thru. My last 4 meals were fast food. Have any of you ever been this sick with a pregnancy and just had to eat whatever your body wouldn't throw up? Did you gain a bunch of weight? I'm already feeling pretty awful about myself and my lack of showers, messy hair, dumpy mood. This is so depressing!

dot-to-dot, if someone else made the food for you, could you eat it? Maybe friends could do a meal train for you? Could your partner, family member, or friend do a once a month cooking day for you so all you have to do is heat and eat? onceamonthmeals.com is my favorite resource for freezer cooking. If you look at the menus from 2011 and earlier, I think it is free.

I am sorry you are so sick. I hope it eases for you!

Mama to: one spunky girl and one angel baby Wife of over 10 years to an amazing man:
#19 of 33 Old 06-29-2014, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I'm lying here in a dark bedroom, nauseated as all getout, silently repeating to myself, "Chipooooooootleeeeeeee." Oh dear.

The Taco Bell thing got pretty out of hand during my first pregnancy. I was a freelancer and pretty much lived in the car, so whenever my husband got in the car with me, he'd look around at the wrappers and say "Honey, please.." To which I'd generally snap, "Do you want me eating protein or not?!" It gets the nutrition where and how it can, thank you very much.
bereamama and Valerie11 like this.

#20 of 33 Old 06-29-2014, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
My guy is concerned about the things I'm choosing to eat, too. I'm overall very healthy, but last week those darn root beer floats was all I was happy with. Actually yesterday I was really wanting root beer, too. And I had some.
He does ask that I look at the ingredients and avoid high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated schtuff, but I try to do that, anyway...

When I mentioned strawberry shortcake today, though, he had no problems with that!! I guess if my cravings align with his, we're okay?
TeeThatsMe and Valerie11 like this.

#21 of 33 Old 06-29-2014, 03:04 PM

This morning I grudgingly ate my oatmeal, because we were out of fruit. And then it came back up. So here it is noon and I have no food in my stomach and still the nothing keeps coming up, so on the way to the grocery store my husband took me to Arby's and I got the pecan chicken wrap, which is the closest thing I can get to a chicken salad sandwich. It had grapes, apples, celery (crunchy!), and pecans. It was pretty good. I just couldn't stomach the thought of bacon and turkey and mayo. It would just be too much!!!

I think I'm over the taco thing. I was also craving that hot sauce type flavor in them for a while, but I think I've just had too many.

It seems like no matter what I eat, my stomach is still queasy, but after a piece of fruit it's not. So I'm sticking with fruit this week. I got apples, nectarines. bananas, grapes, pears, strawberries, and blueberries. And all organic, so it wasn't cheap. I hope they last a week.

#22 of 33 Old 06-29-2014, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Root beer and Taco Bell sounds awesome!!! Maybe tomorrow while I am out grocery shopping....

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#23 of 33 Old 06-30-2014, 05:35 AM

Now I want a root beer float.
happyday8598 likes this.
#24 of 33 Old 06-30-2014, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Do it, denton... it's quite satisfying! I had 4 in a week! That took care of the craving... and I was reverted to my childhood bliss for those few short moments...

#25 of 33 Old 06-30-2014, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I was thinking about all of us that are eating less-than-perfect right now, and realized that it's most likely just fine. Once the first trimester ends and all the yuckiness subsides, we will probably go back to our regular eating and everything will even out. So pig out!!! Haha... just kidding

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#26 of 33 Old 06-30-2014, 10:18 AM

Pasta used to be a once a month treat. Now I want it once a day! And gelato for snack, then before bed. I have to keep a food log for the midwife, and that is seriously helping me not to go too nuts, and I want my log to be honest. I know the first trimester is critical for development, but what woman in the first trimester gets an ideal diet? None! I'm leaning on my pre-pregnancy diet to get me through these next few weeks. Hopefully my nutrition stores were full. We can take each day one at a time. But ya'll have put a serious bug in my ear. Last week someone mentioned Pad Thai, and that's immediately what I ate. Now I have chalupas, and Mexican pizza, on my brain.....
#27 of 33 Old 06-30-2014, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Oh Chalupas! Mmmmm. Haven't had that since college. I live in a small town and we have an abysmal selection of restaurant food so Taco Bell would be my only choice. I suppose that might be the solution to my pregnancy constipation, though. *shrugs* :P
#28 of 33 Old 06-30-2014, 01:27 PM

I have not indulged in soda, but I did get a ginger beer (not real alcohol) the other day that was sparkling and it was actually okay. And helped with the nausea. I'm just afraid of aspartame or high fructose corn syrup, or else I would love to have a coke or pepsi.

#29 of 33 Old 06-30-2014, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
A giant chipotle burrito actually has made my queasiness disappear twice! Crazy.
Valerie11 likes this.

ecstatic about BFP #2 after another round of Clomid,
TWINS!
EDD 2/15/2015
thrilled to welcome #1 after 17 months of ttc, 1 round of Clomid

DS LG  08/03/12
#30 of 33 Old 07-01-2014, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We're totally having tacos for dinner tonight. I'm soo looking forward to it!

Breastfeeding, cosleeping, homebirthing scientist mama to DD1 07/08, DD2 06/10 and a third on the way 02/15!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page