• 1 Post By jodieanneanton
  • 3 Post By Tumble Bumbles
  • 1 Post By entiti

#1 of 12 Old 06-28-2014, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Unassisted Birth

I was speaking with my prospective home birth midwife yesterday, and she planted the seed on having an unassisted birth. My husband had mentioned it before, but I blew it off... Hearing it from this woman I trust and admire and hearing of her support of me during the pregnancy to make sure that I would be a good "candidate" for an unassisted birth gives me a new confidence about it.

The more I sit with the idea, the more empowered and "right" it/I feel.

Have any of you had, are thinking of having an unassisted birth?
Reading recommendations? I would clearly not want to go into this decision without feeling a healthy amount of understanding of the process and potential problems to pay very serious attention to...

#2 of 12 Old 06-28-2014, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I had an unassisted last time with my fifth. I received care from an ob the entire time, but intended and prepared for an unassisted water birth. Then my son came in an hour, so it's a good thing we were prepared! My husband doesn't want to do it again because he doesn't want the responsibility of everything on his shoulders for the after care and cleanup. I'm pretty sure all the reading and research I did was here on the forums and at that freebirth web site, if I remember it correctly. It's all about confidence in yourself and your own body. I felt very confident since it was my fourth natural childbirth.

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#3 of 12 Old 06-28-2014, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
There is a group on facebook called "exploring family birth" lots of knowledgeable women and resources on there.
happyday8598 likes this.

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#4 of 12 Old 06-28-2014, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
I have an aunt who is a doula and she keeps me informed of birth matters. We are not allowed to home birth in Nebraska, or at least, I think we may be allowed to unassisted, but no professional is allowed to assist without losing their license or credentials. So I guess it's not a choice unless I want to drive across a border, which I don't.

My last birth was in a hospital, they were very accommodating to my birth plan and the baby never left me, except to go to the nursery for a hearing test and I went with him. The only thing I didn't like was that they would come in every 2-3 hours asking would I please pump and feed, which I think is ridiculous. If the baby is hungry, he will wake up and cry. And also they wouldn't discharge me until I made an appointment with a pediatrician, which they had to confirm. But other than that, it was very non-intrusive.

Three kids and one on the way.
#5 of 12 Old 06-28-2014, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie11 View Post
I have an aunt who is a doula and she keeps me informed of birth matters. We are not allowed to home birth in Nebraska, or at least, I think we may be allowed to unassisted, but no professional is allowed to assist without losing their license or credentials. So I guess it's not a choice unless I want to drive across a border, which I don't.

My last birth was in a hospital, they were very accommodating to my birth plan and the baby never left me, except to go to the nursery for a hearing test and I went with him. The only thing I didn't like was that they would come in every 2-3 hours asking would I please pump and feed, which I think is ridiculous. If the baby is hungry, he will wake up and cry. And also they wouldn't discharge me until I made an appointment with a pediatrician, which they had to confirm. But other than that, it was very non-intrusive.
I am glad that you have a pretty good hospital option. I just wanted to mention... It is legal in every state to give birth at home. Unfortunately, in some states (like yours), it is illegal for a Certified Nurse Midwife to attend a home birth. There are other midwives that are not CNMs, but direct entry midwives or non-nurse midwives, that work within Nebraska's borders. I don't know if you are wanting to explore homebirth as an option or if you are content with the hospital you had your last at... But here is a really good site that explains the home birth climate in NE and some links leading to ways to find practicing hb mw's there. I am really passionate about pregnant women and new moms having access to all of the options that they would like to explore. (I am a doula... so, occupational hazard? )If you are happy with your hospital, please disregard my input.
Valerie11 likes this.

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

Last edited by jodieanneanton; 06-28-2014 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Looked up your state laws and edited to reflect what I learned...
#6 of 12 Old 06-28-2014, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
I do have the option of traveling just over an hour to a midwife center, but this being my fourth I'm afraid I would have it in the car on the way over, so I will stick with the hospital in our town. But thank you for the info, jodieanneanton!

Three kids and one on the way.
#7 of 12 Old 06-29-2014, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
With my last, my midwife was worried about me overlapping with a client that was 3 hours away from me. I told her to worry about her client and I would birth unassisted if necessary. While I would prefer my midwife to be there both last time and this time, I could handle unassisted if necessary.
There is also a Facebook group called something like unassisted reading room with suggestions on what to read.
#8 of 12 Old 06-30-2014, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yup. First was midwife-assisted homebirth. Second was a planned UC, after 31 hours of active labor (wasn't worried a bit) and he's a perfectly healthy 3 year old

Expecting Feb 2015 sometime and expecting another UC, God willing!

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
#9 of 12 Old 07-04-2014, 12:35 PM

This is #3 for me. 1 & 2 were w MW. Now for my UA! I'm stoked! Although today has been a rollercoaster of weeping...totally unprovoked anxiety and lows. What the hay?!??! Popped on here for the .first time in years...just needing some community I guess. I need to redirect my focus. What to do when ya feeling soooo blue? Lovin you mommas...
#10 of 12 Old 07-07-2014, 08:57 AM

I think it's common (#3 babe for me too). I have been very weepy/emotional lately -- not so much blue but emotional. With regard to anxiety, I feel a bit of it too in early pregnancy because I like all my "ducks in a row". Once I've made solid decisions and have made peace with them, it fades. Just have to work through all the emotions and stuff.

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
#11 of 12 Old 07-11-2014, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hey mamas, I too am having #3 and thinking about unassisted after 2 homebirths. It's pretty exciting! Sorry you're feeling blue Ommamma. Hope you're feeling better today!
happyday8598 likes this.

Mama to oneone, and a brand new!
#12 of 12 Old 07-22-2014, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I just got finished emailing a prospective midwife. I don't know if I'll tell her or not that I'm thinking about unassisted. I am really not into debating, or defending my choice....if that's what I choose, an unassisted birth that is. I just want to meet with a couple of midwives to see if they 'click', and I'll take that into all my consideration.

We just moved to a new town 6 months ago, and don't know anyone...and I guess that's my biggest hurdle. I know we will need help.....setting things up, breaking them down, help with the kids, etc. I am pretty comfortable about getting along with the birth itself, it's just all the little things I don't want my husband to be overwhelmed with.

I'd love to have a doula to just generally help with it all, someone who understands the homebirth atmosphere....but, it seems most are worried about liability in an unassisted birth, and tend to disagree with it in general. I don't know.....I'm hoping to find a solution, even if it's just in my head some time soon, for peace of mind.

Mama to oneone, and a brand new!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page