Mothering Forum banner

foods we crave and foods we all of a suddent hate!

4K views 98 replies 24 participants last post by  tracyamber 
#1 ·
I love love love savory food. The more flavor the better. And right now. No way. Even thinking about it and I get eeek. Fruits lots and lots of fruits is what I'm craving. And anything sweet. Mmmm donuts. I fear I may gain a lot of weight this time around. So what are some foods you ladies despise and crave right now?

#2 ·
I simply Can Not Stand pizza right now. We have a meeting/meal before service at work every night, and Thursday and Saturday are pizza nights. Ugh. On the other hand, we have chicken picatta one day most weeks, and I can't get enough of that.

I want kale/fruit smothies all the time now. Right now I'm drinking kale/grape/strawberry/mango/pineapple.

I also *may* have made a special trip today because I was really craving some f.r.o.g. jam (fig, raspberry, orange, ginger).

#4 ·
Here's a super-random question: How do I get more fresh smoothies into my life right now? The idea sounds pretty good to me--I'd love to take one in the car with me on the way to work in the morning. But I leave the house when everyone else is still asleep, and there is no way on God's green earth I could run a blender in our small house without waking somebody up. That would... not go over well. Ahem. :) I could make one when I get home, of course, but I fear that by then the idea's going to turn my stomach most days. Bring the darn blender to work? Or just wait until the weekends? Or...? I'm out of ideas! At this point if there were anywhere to get fresh fruit smoothies near work, I'd probably just be forking over seven dollars a day. I am NOT getting in anywhere near enough fruit and veggies. Last night's big victory was some pretty horrifying green beans from Popeye's... eeeewww! :D

#19 ·
Here's a super-random question: How do I get more fresh smoothies into my life right now? The idea sounds pretty good to me--I'd love to take one in the car with me on the way to work in the morning. But I leave the house when everyone else is still asleep, and there is no way on God's green earth I could run a blender in our small house without waking somebody up. That would... not go over well.
From my experience there really is no way to get a fresh smoothie without making it right before you drink it. You can literally throw anything in a blender as long as you add 1/2 to 1 cup of liquid, and it becomes a drink.

Why can't your family get up when you do? Do you get up at 3am? When my husband worked and I was at home with the kids, I would always get up at the same time he did and start fixing breakfast for everyone so that he would have it before he left the house. And the kids love the sound of the blender because they know it means smoothies. We are probably going to do that again really soon when he goes back after the summer break (he's a teacher). Sorry, I don't mean to tell you what to do, just asking if that would work for you guys.

#6 ·
You could possibly make the smoothie the night before and put it in the freezer. Although that will harden it to much so you would have to take it out a bit before you want to drink it.... But that's not the best idea.... You could just take a little tote of fresh cut up fruit to work with you if you can stomach it. I know pregnancy is when we should be eating our best. Easier sad than done right. It seems at this point our bodies refuse to eat anything healthy if anything at all. With my last pregnancy I wasn't into sweet at all. I known this sounds weird. But I ate a zillion hot dogs. And the only reason I did is because I'm sure people would frown upon me downing a bottle of mustard haha.. I gained 30lbs and after having my 9lb 1oz son I only weighed 8lbs more than my pre pregnancy weight. Idk how that happened. Lol. But this time I feel as if I won't be so lucky. I'm praying I have a healthy Baby of course. But not 9lbs. OUCH! And that I don't gain 50lbs as I don't have much motivation to be active for at least a year after baby is born.

#7 ·
@cowchick530 eating hotdogs just for the mustard, eh? I had something similar last pregnancy. I was eating an awful lot of cookies and milk. It took me a while, but I realized when I was drinking 12 oz of milk with each cookies, that it was the MILK I really wanted. lol.

#9 ·
lol. Milk is usually my favorite thing but it makes me sick now. Always does this time in pregnancy. I won't be able to enjoy it again until around halfway through!

#10 ·
I used to drink 11 gallons of milk a week. And a 6 pack of soda a day. I haven't drank soda in over half a year. And I haven't drank that much milk in probably 3 years. Thank goodness I got ahold of the things. But now I'm having a milk lapse lol. I can't wait for this nausea to go away. And I hope that I don't start vomiting.

#11 ·
@cowchick530 (Ha. What an appropriate name considering your milk consumption.) WOW! 11 gallons a week!!!!?!?!?!?!?! I thought I was bad with my habit of 3 gallons a week a couple of years ago.

#12 ·
If I don't have a baked potato today, it is possible that I will die! Butter, sour cream, melted cheddar!!! I am calling hubby to pick up some on the way home for work. :eat

#14 ·
haha. DH is picking up potatoes for me, but asked me to refrain from leading off food requests with, "I am having a major problem." Ha hahaha!

#15 ·
Today is DH's birthday and I have a tradition of making him a Thanksgiving dinner on his birthday. It's really an absurd tradition because cooking turkey and all that food in the middle of summer in the South in the heat is ridiculous. ANYWAY, this time I decided to do a turkey breast and cook it in the crock pot. I put dry onion soup on it... I don't know why. I hate dry onion soup on things. So it started cooking and about two hours later the smell was filling the house and it was making me nauseous. I ended up taking the turkey out, wiping it down, and rinsing out the crock pot. Yuck. What was I thinking?

#17 ·
Jodie, I say if the shoe fits, wear it! All food is a major problem I'm having at this point--it either is absolutely revolting and must get out of my sight/smelling/awareness, or I NEED IT and it must get in my belly immediately. No middle ground. None.

cagnew, you are some kind of saint for being willing to do the whole Thanksgiving meal for your husband's birthday in the middle of all this! That being said, though, man, I would also dearly love somebody to make me a Thanksgiving dinner today. As long as, like cowchick said, I didn't have to be anywhere near the preparation of it. :)

#18 ·
mmmm Thanksgiving dinner. My favorite day of the year. Because of the food I get to eat. Glad I will be out of the first trimester for that day! ;)

#21 ·
If it's smoothies you want, as odd as you may look, could you put everything in the blender and then cart the blender to an outdoor electrical outlet?
We make smoothies, and I put the leftovers in the fridge... it's worth a shot to see if that would last overnight... the freezer tends to make it super hard, which makes a tasty treat, too, but nothing like a real deal delicious smoothie...

#26 ·
Would you believe we don't have a single outdoor electrical outlet at our house?! :D

We honestly don't use our blender very much at home (which I always kick myself over, but I have yet to change the habit, sigh), so at this point I'm seriously considering just bringing it to the office and leaving it here for a couple of weeks. I get in very early, and my fellow early-birds won't bat an eye if I'm in the break room blending myself up a smoothie. That will mean carting some frozen ingredients in, but I'm thinking that if I bring some frozen fruit in each morning and add coconut milk or juice from the fridge, that should work pretty well, eh?

#22 ·
I'm having a hard time eating.... some days I just want to eat fruits other days just nuts.... today feel blessed to be eating some greens. Does everyone here have difficulties eating? It's been like 5.5 years since my last pregnancy and I think I had forgotten how difficult eating can be!

QUOTE=cowchick530;17742978]I love love love savory food. The more flavor the better. And right now. No way. Even thinking about it and I get eeek. Fruits lots and lots of fruits is what I'm craving. And anything sweet. Mmmm donuts. I fear I may gain a lot of weight this time around. So what are some foods you ladies despise and crave right now?[/QUOTE]

#23 ·
Shoot, my last pregnancy was a breeze. No morning sickness I was full of energy. No heartburn. The only way I could tell I was pregnant was my belly and all the little kicks through the day. This pregnancy is much different. And it is pretty difficult to eat after noonish. Nothing sounds good or looks good or smells good. Yuck

#24 ·
I love milk! I drink raw milk and it's the only thing that made me feel better this morning. I could drink it all day all the time!

I had this awful experience at dinner tonight where we are late than we have, waited too long at a restaurant, and then I ate too fast. It was this sensation of wanting to keep eating but also feeling like throwing up at the same time. Blargh. Gave me a headache and I won't be repeating that any time soon.

#25 ·
Wow I had the same experience today. I went to hometown buffet in hopes that the wide variety would have something to please me. As soon as we walked in the smell overwhelmed me. Sure it smells great. But sooooooo strong. I took off and grabbed fruit knowing I can eat that and that the faster I eat the less nauseous I will feel. Then I ate a salad. 2 other plates and some sweets of course.. Whoaaaaa I don't eat that much ever. I was somehow wanting to continue but nauseous all at the same time. I think me knowing that eating usually makes me feel better made me want to eat until I did. Which didn't happen. I gave up and got some milk of course. Haha gotta love milk. When I was a kid and I went to have sleep overs y dad would actually send me with milk. If the house I was at didn't have any ohhhh at around 3am when I got up for a bathroom trip, I would call my dad to come and get me. I actually crave milk. And will get agitated if I don't have any. I'm pretty sure its an unhealthy/healthy addiction. :)

#27 ·
My very favorite food has been watermelon. LOVE it, love it, love it. I got one yesterday at the store, and cracked it open this morning...and just couldn't eat it. I haven't really had any nausea (yet), but I just didn't want it.

I've been wanting loads of butter and salt. Baked potatoes, stove-popped popcorn with tons of butter, butter buttons.

#28 ·
I'm having trouble finding anything appetizing, too. We were at Sam's Club to try and save on groceries, which is terrible because nothing is organic there that we would buy, and I picked a tub of potato salad and a tub of coleslaw, thinking that they looked good (and about $5.00 each). So I tried both, and both tasted terrible. The french fries we got there also tasted terrible. I don't know if my super taste buds are picking up chemicals that I shouldn't be eating or if I'm just off. My husband said everything tastes fine, so he can eat it. It is terribly, terribly difficult to want to eat anything at all this week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.