Stool softeners and hemorrhoids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 07-01-2014, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Stool softeners and hemorrhoids

I am taking Zofran for my constant nausea (VERY constipating) and before I started that my digestion had already slowed way down. After two days of not going at all followed by 2 days of straining, I now have some big ol' hemorrhoids. Waaaah. I didn't expect these so early. It's SUCH an uncomfortable feeling. And of course they hurt when I go to the bathroom.

Are stool softeners safe in pregnancy? I have some drug store brand docusate sodium.

And hit me with your best and most effective topical remedies for hemorrhoids? I already applied prep H right away but I don't remember it being extremely effective. What really works to shrink these little demons fast????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I don't know too much about either if those things, but I do believe softeners are safe to take. Also, magnesium really helps a ton with that problem. I use the magnesium oil spray on my skin, and notice a huge difference when I forget to use it.

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
Old 07-01-2014, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I am actually using the spray (have been for over a year), soaking in Epsom salts when I can and have been taking magnesium glycinate for almost a year and continuing to take as many as I can stomach but it's hard to keep them down.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:00 AM

Yikes! You poor lady! I hope you figure out something soon!

Old 07-01-2014, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Oh this is such a problem for me this pregnancy. However I have Ulcerativ Colitis. So I have problems absorbing nutrients. I also can't take iron orally. So I'm taking iron free prenatal vitamins and extra folic acid. My brother has spina bifida so taking the extra folic acid is already a must but with my UC its crucial. I am so constipated and can't do anything about it. Because frankly its better for baby if I am. It just means food lingers around longer and allows my body to absorb the nutrients. But it has been easing up yay! I also can't do anything to upset my UC as its pretty serious. So I have to watch what u eat and take. Its a headache.

Dot-to-Dot I tore during birth with my son ouch I know. But they gave me hemorrhoidal tucks. They worked for my hoohaa so I'm assuming they actually work for their purpose.

Last edited by cowchick530; 07-01-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ooo hemorrhoids are so painful. I had them bad with ds. I used to soak menstrual pads in witch hazel, and pop the in the fridge for a bit. That helped. Hope you feel better!!
Old 07-01-2014, 10:44 PM

I also like putting witch hazel in the peri bottle, maybe that would help, too.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Oh I'm so sorry! You might look into taking some magnesium citrate, like Natural Calm. Magnesium has been known to help nausea, and also is a bit of a gut irritant in larger doses, and can help move things along. I'd start with a small dose in the evening, then increase it a bit each day until it seems to help with the constipation. It may or may not help with nausea at this point, because it's really difficult to absorb magnesium through the gut anyway, and absorption becomes even more inhibited during pregnancy. I hope you find relief soon!

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
Old 07-02-2014, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I've had good results in the past with a supplement called Hem-Relief. It's not cheap, but it was helpful for my hemorrhoids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckiest View Post
Oh I'm so sorry! You might look into taking some magnesium citrate, like Natural Calm. Magnesium has been known to help nausea, and also is a bit of a gut irritant in larger doses, and can help move things along. I'd start with a small dose in the evening, then increase it a bit each day until it seems to help with the constipation. It may or may not help with nausea at this point, because it's really difficult to absorb magnesium through the gut anyway, and absorption becomes even more inhibited during pregnancy. I hope you find relief soon!
Magnesium oil might work better since it absorbed through the skin then.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentonmidwife View Post
Magnesium oil might work better since it absorbed through the skin then.

It would definitely get absorbed through the skin better and that would be more likely to help with nausea, and then orally it would work better for constipation since it's a mild gut irritant taken orally. I personally can't tolerate magnesium oil on the skin, even diluted, it burns and stings soooo bad.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
My sons get the burning and stinging, so I can't use it on them. I had itching from it the first few times, but that quickly stopped happening fortunately. I think I read somewhere that it is more irritating the more deficient you are.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:28 PM

I've heard that as well that it itches the more deficient you are, and I don't buy it. I think it's just more irritating to some skin types, and the brand probably makes a difference as well. When I was using the oil I found that the more I used it on a particular area of skin, the less it hurt over time, but the skin started feeling almost hardened and tough. If I stopped on that area for a few days and went back, it stung as bad as ever. I just don't think the innate wisdom of our bodies would say, "yes I need that nutrient," and then inflame and itch in response. Like, if you are zinc deficient, aqueous zinc solution will taste like water, but if you're not, it tastes metallic and awful.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Have been taking the mag oil from a good company for a long, long time. It used to itch horribly but now it's fine. Still do it most days in addition to Epsom salt baths and taking magnesium orally through a capsule as well as mineral drops that go in my water. I've definitely got magnesium covered.

User Tag List