Weekly Chat 7/2/14 - 7/8/14 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

Old 07-02-2014, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Weekly Chat 7/2/14 - 7/8/14

Thought I'd make another weekly chat so that we have a place to talk about random thoughts/whatever! How has everyone's week been so far? I'm struggling to stay awake at work right now...my last day was supposed to be Monday but they somehow got me to stay until Thursday, so that's where I'm at.

June 18th, 2014
EDD February 26th, 2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
They roped you in!!

I am tired. My husbands alarm goes off around 5 and I just can't seem to get back to sleep after that.

I have a stupid appt today just to do all the paperwork and have the nurse tell me what I should and shouldn't be doing. I'm not interested in hearing it. Maybe she will let me off easy since this is my third?

I found out my husband may of may not be going on his July trip and he may or may not be going on a different trip in August? Wish someone could tell me what is going on!!! It's just crazy
Old 07-02-2014, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahknavy View Post
I have a stupid appt today just to do all the paperwork and have the nurse tell me what I should and shouldn't be doing. I'm not interested in hearing it. Maybe she will let me off easy since this is my third?
I just went to that yesterday. My kids are 3-5 years apart each, so every time I go back for the next one the information has changed. Put them on their back, don't put them on their back, etc..

Three kids and one on the way.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mine is next Thursday. I'm interested in seeing how informative it really is but I suspect that my age will cause them to be kind of redundant with their information. I'm always ready and open to learn more though!

June 18th, 2014
EDD February 26th, 2015
Old 07-02-2014, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
My midwife isn't doing our first appointment until the 18th, and that feels like it's SO FAR AWAY still! I've got a little list of questions going, but most of them are goofy because they're about the logistics of the actual birth, so I'm planning waaaaaayyyyy in advance.

Anyhow, I hope that the paperwork-and-advice sessions treat you all well! You never know what hidden gems the nurse might surprise you with, right? Here's hoping, anyway.

Work continues to be boring and literally nauseating. I'm in a big huge office building and my room has no window and definitely no access to fresh air (not that it would really matter, I suppose?, since it's prime mid-Atlantic swamp weather this week--we're supposed to hit 95 degrees and 80% humidity today, blech!). And there's very little for me to do, honestly, so I just... Sit here feeling gross. Stuff is supposed to pick up a little bit as of next week, and I couldn't be more excited--something to DO! Distractions! Please! Bring 'em on!

My husband and I had the sweetest conversation last night, at 1am in bed after I'd conked out (AGAIN) at 6:30pm and left him to deal with dinner and bedtime on his own after a full day with the kids (AGAIN). He'd seemed pretty frustrated to arrive home from grocery shopping and find me already in bed, so during our late-night chat, we talked about that, and he said "I am dealing with some frustration, yes... Mainly I just fear that if I'm doing it all on my own and everything doesn't get 100% done--like, we've had dishes in the sink for three days now--you will feel like I'm letting you down." I burst out laughing at him. He thinks HE could possibly do anything to let ME down?! Funniest thing I've heard all week!! He is literally keeping us all together, solo, and he thinks that I care about a dirty dish? LOL.

Anyhow, we'd had (by our standards, anyhow) a super busy weekend and then didn't see each other at all Monday, so the heart to heart was so refreshing and reassuring. Even if I didn't get back to sleep until 3am and consequently overslept this morning... again.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My first appointment is next Thursday. I'm super anxious. I hate waiting lol. I'm high risk so I go through aloooot of questions the visit is a little long. But worth it. I leave with loads of info. It has been 6 years since I have been pregnant so I'm pretty sure I could use a refresher.

I live in California. So its super hot here. Well today is supposed to be 100° but yesterday was 109. And its only the begging of July ugh. But humidity is horrible. Its usually pretty dry here thank goodness. I don't think I could be pregnant and deal with humidity. I would go bananas.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
My first appointment is Tuesday. I'm pretty sure this is the one where they draw all the blood. Ew. Funny that I can labor and birth with no pain meds, but a needle makes me light-headed. I don't even like getting my finger pricked.

My OB is really laid back with me. She figures I've done it all before so there is no need to be redundant. She doesn't even make me come to all the appointments. I only go when they are doing something. I'm happy about that because it's hard to find a sitter and I hate bringing all my kids with me. Plus, it's an hour away.

Tee: I hated when I had jobs with nothing to do. I like to be busy at work because it makes the time go faster.

Valerie: Has someone really recently told you to put the on their back now? I don't know what think about all that. I always put them on their back or side, until they start rolling over. I'm afraid that if something happened I'd blame myself for putting them on their tummy. I know that's absurd, really, but I know that's what I'd do. I'm not usually one to make decisions out of fear either.

Sarah: I can't remember- is your DH military? I have a brother in the military and it's so hard when his orders are all over the place. That would be so hard!

It's HOT HOT HOT here too! The grass needs to be cut badly, so I might try. If it's too hot I'll just stop. The non-preggo me would just grab a nice cold beer and hop on the mower and be happy. The preggo me feels a little nauseous thinking about the mower and the heat. And DEFININETLY have no desire for beer. Yuck.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
Old 07-02-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagnew View Post
My first appointment is Tuesday. I'm pretty sure this is the one where they draw all the blood. Ew. Funny that I can labor and birth with no pain meds, but a needle makes me light-headed. I don't even like getting my finger pricked.
Pre-pregnancy, I had a moonlighting job at a hospital (I am a sign language interpreter, so the moonlighting stuff takes me all over the place). The patient had fluid in her lungs and a catheter to drain it, so of course I was in the room because the nurse was talking to her throughout the procedure. I looked at the drainage and just about passed out! I had to sit down, until the patient looked at me funny and said "I can't see you over there, can you please stand back up?" I'm standing there willing myself not to lose consciousness, going "Seriously, self? You've delivered two babies at home and you can't handle seeing some liquid drain? Get it together!!" Mercifully, I didn't actually faint, but... Maybe no more hospital jobs for me? Eeeeeek.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:37 AM

cagenew, no, they actually didn't discuss it, but when I was pregnant with my now 12 year old it was all about putting them on their tummies to sleep. Then with the next one it was put them on their sides, now it's on their backs. I mean, they are always so adimant that I follow their advice, and then it changes. That was just an example.

Not too much is different this time from the last time except that they give Tdap at 22 weeks pregnant, which I will not be getting. I didn't want to have "the conversation", so I tried to tell them that I already had that shot recently, but they were looking to check and see if I needed a booster. How they can for years and years tell us that pregnant women should not get shots and now we should? I recently worked in a hospital and in order to get that lucrative job, I was required to get certain immunizations, and the only one that I actually had to take after they took titers was the Tdap. So I went ahead and did it, because at least it was me and not my developing children, and a few months later I got arthritis in my knees and an odd nerve issue that was affecting all of my limbs. I went to a chiropractor and took anti-inflammatory supplements for 6 months before the pain went away. I also got a small lipoma or fribroma on, of all places, my collar bone around the same time. It's about the size of my thumb. I was so freaked out until they determined it was benign, and unless I want to pay to remove it I'm just leaving it alone. I cannot definitively prove that my issues were caused by the shot, but it seems really odd that I've been a healthy adult for years and years and suddenly I have arthritis and nerve issues. And I'm not taking any chances, I'm not getting any shots while pregnant.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Tee- If I can't be outside, I need to SEE outside. That would make me sick to be pent up all day. Hang in there!

Cagnew- was your appointment yesterday? Or next Tuesday?

Sarah- bummer about your husband's plans getting changed. It makes it so hard to plan anything as a family!

Those initial appointments can be such a waste of time. I personally just want to see the little heart beating and that's all I can think about. I just hear the teacher's voice from Peanuts, "Waaammp waamp waamp." It isn't because I'm a know-it-all, but because I cannot concentrate on what they are saying!

Yesterday was one of the worst days in my house in a long time. I was Mommy the Monster, brought on by hormones, insomnia, and a very frustrating potty training day. My DD2 is ready, so I'm confident now is the right time to start training, but by the tenth time I mopped up pee from the floor I was losing it. DD1 was being especially demanding and chose the wrong time to be impatient. I lost my cool, started yelling like a banshee, and felt like the worst mother after. I had to hide on the porch and vent to my sister while they stood in the sunroom, looking at me through the windows, crying. Thankfully they accepted my apology and the evening ended better-- but not exactly well.

We're getting ready for Storm Arthur. Hubby is gone, so hopefully nothing major happens during the storm. I don't envision myself hauling out the ladder and doing repairs. And, I'm not really game for losing power. But, if we just get some rain that would be so nice!

Thanks for starting a new thread, Bren!
Old 07-02-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:

Sarah: I can't remember- is your DH military? I have a brother in the military and it's so hard when his orders are all over the place. That would be so hard!

It's HOT HOT HOT here too! The grass needs to be cut badly, so I might try. If it's too hot I'll just stop. The non-preggo me would just grab a nice cold beer and hop on the mower and be happy. The preggo me feels a little nauseous thinking about the mower and the heat. And DEFININETLY have no desire for beer. Yuck.

He is military. Everything is always changing. We actually have a family vacation planned in August and will have to change it if he doesn't leave in July. I hope they let us go on our vacation earlier cause mountain hopping in sept. Isn't going to be any fun with the rain coming in.

The Summers here are perfect. It's 72 and slightly breezy. Ahhhh living the dream it rains sept-May but our summers are amazing!

@Valerie11 - last time I refused tdap and plan to do it this time since I will be traveling immediately after birth. I wonder of I am going to get the "I told you so talks."

My appt was actually awesome. This time it was done by a military person who seemed to have no interest in OB. She was all follow stepts a,b,c. Don't do drugs. Fill this out. Thanks see you next time. It took 25 min. Last time the lactation consultant did it and she read through every pregnancy do and don't and all the run through of the appts. I brought my 14 month old and it took over an hour.

I told the lady who watched my kids today about the baby and got another "non-positive" reaction. It makes me sad. I just want people to say congrats and how exciting but I get "oh... Really.... Ok..."
Old 07-02-2014, 04:41 PM

"Don't do drugs, fill this out" is making me laugh. Glad it was a good appointment, Sarah! I don't understand people who don't respond with enthusiasm or at least positivity, though. Granted, I'm a freaker-outer and always have to restrain myself from shrieking out loud, and I know not everybody is as, er, effusive as I am... But seriously, folks, would it actually harm you to show a little happiness at good news?

DuchessTergie, I'm so sorry yesterday was such a rough day. Haven't we all been there! It might not ease your feelings, but... You're not alone. ((Hug)) I hope today made up for it some.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

I also don't get the negativity! It is such a bummer. Most of my friends have been excited but a few of my more judgmental friends give me the awkward "oh...ok" and I'm just like cool someone isn't getting a shower invite! (Jk I still want their presents ) do you know why they're reacting that way, Sarah? I know for me it's because I'm young and haven't graduated college.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren94 View Post
I also don't get the negativity! It is such a bummer. Most of my friends have been excited but a few of my more judgmental friends give me the awkward "oh...ok" and I'm just like cool someone isn't getting a shower invite! (Jk I still want their presents ) do you know why they're reacting that way, Sarah? I know for me it's because I'm young and haven't graduated college.
I mean, I know you're young and all, but a) This is a joyful choice you're making, so hello, YAY?, and 2) Even if they do want to go all judgmental-societal-norms on you, you're married and this child was planned--what more do people want? It's just a mystery to me. Don't they have better things to do than second-guess you?

Old 07-02-2014, 05:44 PM

Our society puts so much emphasis on women working, but none on women being great mothers. It's like, after women's liberation, we're not allowed to be stay at home moms and wives without feeling guilty about it. I would like to see a mom revolution of breastfeeding and being at home with children, and working only if you choose to do so. I believe the U.S. government should spend less on bombs and more on supporting single mothers so that they may stay home and breastfeed and just be there, if desired. I would support my tax dollars going to that.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren94 View Post

I have talked before about not being sure about wanting another one. My second had reflux and was really really really difficult. I have always said that I was open to the option if God wants to change my mind, but that I felt great with my two kids. I think a lot of people are trying to feel me out about it. But you can't go wrong just saying congrats because what am I going to do? get mad and tell you to stop being happy about it? It is more likely to encourage me if I were skeptical. I am always super excited for people when I find out about their baby. What could go wrong.

Sarah- sahm to a little boy and girl with a third blessing due in Feb.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I was actually just going to say even if you aren't sure the person is happy about the pregnancy, your best bet is always to be congratulatory. You can't really offend anyone by being happy for them.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
When I hear that someone is having a baby, I am so excited that I feel like my body is trying to come out of itself and explode from the excitement I feel!!!!!!!!!!! Planned, unplanned, married, unmarried? I DON'T CARE!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE HAVING A BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is really how I am. It is usually better if I hear this type of news through the grapevine so I can have this entirely over the top reaction in private. I am worried that one day if a woman sees my reaction to the news that she is having a baby, she might think I want to steal her baby since I LOVE ALL THE BABIES!!!!!!!! lol. There should be nothing but joy if a woman announces a pregnancy...whether it is her first, fifth, or tenth!
@sarahknavy , Glad your appt went well. That is always nice!
@cowchick530 , Good luck at your appt tomorrow! Hope all goes well and you are able to put out that anxiety so you can sleep!
@cagnew , So, your grass get cut?
@TeeThatsMe , you are hilarious! I am glad your hubby is so supportive!!!!! Your convo makes me smile.
@Valerie11 , I agree that it seems like women's lib kinda erased the value of staying at home. Kinda like... you can choose ANYTHING but JUST that! Also, I feel like children are not valued nearly as much as they should be. They are not a burden!!! They are amazing!!! It's hard, though... cuz I used to be on the other side where I just. didn't. get it. But now... I guess I view the entire situation differently.
@DuchessTergie , I am sorry about your yesterday. We have ALLLL been there. I know I have. I try to tell myself I am teaching my children forgiveness and modeling proper apologies in moments/days/(er)weeks(?) like that! I hope today went better. Also, I hate initial appts. I have nothing to talk about and feel like there is not much to do this early. Plus I don't get a dating u/s, so... I pee on a stick and we chat? I mean... ok. lol. My mw texted me yesterday to see when I wanted to meet up. My initial thought was 16 weeks. ha! She said, How about 12? Um, ok. I guess that's alright with me. lol. What will we talk about though?
@bren94 - How did work rope you into that? What do you do? Are you moving on to another job or no? Good luck on your last days there!

Re: shots during pregnancy - Uh, no thanks. lol. Not my style.

Re: back 2 sleep campaign and other things about parenting that change all the time - Yeah. I put my kids to bed on their bellies generally. I "followed the rules" with my first and she was a HORRIBLE sleeper and ugh. It was terrible for like 3 years. After trying back sleeping with # 2 and dealing with 2 waking kids at night, I just needed some flippin' sleep!! So, I put her on her belly and guess what?! She slept for like 6 hours. Great sleeper. With # 3, I only tried back for a couple of days with no success at actual sleep. Tummy it was. I think you really need to do what works. I co-sleep safely, no pillows for baby, no alcohol/drugs for me, etc. There are no other risk factors for SIDS present. I follow my instincts for every other aspect of parenting... So, I just go with my instincts in this area, too.

Re: weather - It has been hot here for a little while... in the 90s... But - and don't be jealous - the next three days are forecast to somehow be in the LOW 70s! This is amazing and my favorite kind of weather.

Me? I am doing great. 2 days with lessened nausea. I took advice on the symptom thread and started up my supplements again. The only time I am overwhelmingly sick is in the morning hours (haha! morning sickness!) and by the time I have my smoothie (Hope that doesn't make you jealous, @TeeThatsMe !) and my supplements, I am doing better! Only mild waves of nausea during the day instead of constant! Woo Hoo!

Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!!

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

Old 07-02-2014, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

@jodieanneanton They gave me a really good guilt trip, "Please stick around to help us just a little longer! We need you! Etc." I'm a people pleaser. I'm the receptionist for a small contracting company, not many employees so I end up doing a lot of accounts payable stuff, data entry and a plethora of really boring repetitive tasks. I'm planning to kick it unemployed indefinitely! For as long as I can get away with anyway.

P.S. Is it just me or do babies look cuter on their bellies?
Old 07-02-2014, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahknavy View Post

The Summers here are perfect. It's 72 and slightly breezy. Ahhhh living the dream it rains sept-May but our summers are amazing!
We are in the prime of our perfect weather, too. I moved from the California valley a couple years ago and they are in the triple digits for heat right now, as well as dealing with the drought. We had a mild winter this year, but we're not running out of water and our highs in the summer are around 70. I definitely do not miss the heat. We generally have rain the same time you do, so maybe we're in the same region!

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
Old 07-03-2014, 09:57 AM

@gabeyho I live in the California valley it is horrible right now. our lakes are dry there is simply no water. and it is soooooo hot... I bet you are real happy you moved lol.. I personally am a Californian I couldn't move. I love it here : ) . that being said I live in the northern part that will become the State of Jefferson if it passes.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowchick530 View Post
@gabeyho I live in the California valley it is horrible right now. our lakes are dry there is simply no water. and it is soooooo hot... I bet you are real happy you moved lol.. I personally am a Californian I couldn't move. I love it here : ) . that being said I live in the northern part that will become the State of Jefferson if it passes.
I'm still in California! I'm also very north, but coastal. I'm so far north, I'm almost in Oregon. My family is visiting for the 4th, and I'm supposed to go visit them in Redding in a couple weeks, and I can't say I'm looking forward to it. Except there is an In-N-Out there, so that sort of makes it ok.

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
Old 07-03-2014, 10:11 AM

Ahhh. I live an hour south of redding.. And I'm slightly worried about the 4th. Its so dry. Hopefully everyone is safe and no fires happen
Old 07-03-2014, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
jodie: no, the lawn never got mowed. Maybe this evening....

duchess: Like Tee said, we ALL have those awful days. I like to think my kids will just forget about those as they get older.... I've had some major mommy-fail days! One time DD1 stuck pennies in the steering wheel of our van and it triggered the horn and I couldn't get the horn to turn off. I had just gotten her and DS (a baby at the time) all ready and in the van to go somewhere. It was hot as hell. I got soooo angry. I totally freaked out on the steering wheel, beating on it and screaming like a crazy person. Scared the heck out of the kids

Another time I was struggling with jealousy/envy over a good friends financial ease. We were having a hard time financially as it was and suddenly had to fix something on the car. I had had a little money set aside for something- a kids consignment sale- and we had to use it for the car and borrow some on top of it. Well, I was walking through town with this friend and she saw an expensive diaper bag in a window and exclaimed that she didn't need it but she just HAD to have it. She didn't buy it then... but I saw her two days later and she had it. I got home and had a total sobbing breakdown over it. Not the bag... I didn't have any interest in the bag. It was just that I couldn't even buy my kids USED clothing, and she could spend money like no tomorrow with complete comfort. DH and the kids must have thought I was nuts, crying and carrying on in my room.

Heck, I'm feeling totally on the line today. The kids are driving me crazy and DH has been outside cleaning the car for like 3 hours. Seriously?!?!?! Sometimes he moves like a friggin' snail and I want to shake him. Wish I could have 3 hours all to myself, even if it means cleaning something! Maybe I will take 3 hours to cut the grass today

OT: For those of you that have kids old enough to talk and whine... do they ask to eat ALL DAY LONG? Do you let them? I swear, every half hour my kids are asking for food. It's insane and we can't afford for everyone to eat all day long! Is three meals and 2 snacks a day enough? I don't remember eating all day when I was little, and I was just fine.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
Old 07-03-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:

OT: For those of you that have kids old enough to talk and whine... do they ask to eat ALL DAY LONG? Do you let them? I swear, every half hour my kids are asking for food. It's insane and we can't afford for everyone to eat all day long! Is three meals and 2 snacks a day enough? I don't remember eating all day when I was little, and I was just fine.
my 3 year old just tarted this mess. We used to feed him whenever he asked but now he wants to eat every minute of the day. I am trying to move to a 3 meal 2 snack day but the issue is my 17 month old is having trouble getting enough calories(and waking up at 5 starving). I need him to realize he is big and doesnt need to eat as often as the baby does. Just this morning he has had a waffle, some cereal, some oatmeal(left from his sister) and some left over cheetoes... all before 10. Its so frustrating. I need to crack down.

I have only been getting about 7 hours of sleep a day. It is not going over well. I am beginning to feel super horrible all day long. I need to get some rest this weekend. My 3 year old was so cranky this morning I put him down or a nap... 4 hours early. Hoping when he wakes up daddy will be home.

We decided to get some sparklers and write out "baby" and take pictures. Then send it to a young member of our family who is visiting my Husband's family this weekend. It might be funny to send "BABY" to her and send "COMING SOON" to another person and "FEB 5" to another. That could be funny. They will all be in the same room since they will be going out on the boat to see fireworks in the evening.

Sarah- sahm to a little boy and girl with a third blessing due in Feb.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I attended a birth as a doula the last couple of days. It was an induction turned csection that just reinforced how desperately I want to have this baby at home.

My 5yo eats constantly as well. He always has. I wonder if he is hypoglycemic. I have not been officially diagnosed as such, but based on certain signs, I believe that I have been at least since high school. Pregnancy aggregates it too. I feel like I am constantly eating just so that I don't puke.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Cagnew, I can't get over your van story! My husband and I love to joke that we either have Griswold days, or that we're trapped in a Seinfeld episode. The van horn is a Griswold day for sure!

I think this is going to come across as hard-core, but I put food limits on my older kids (not my babies). My 4yo out eats my husband. Yes, she would LIKE to have more. No, she doesn't NEED to have more. The litmus test in our house is the raw carrot. It goes like this,
"Mom, I'm huuuuuuunnngryyyy."
"Grab a carrot from the cripser."
"Will you peel it?"
"Nope, it is organic and that little bit of dirt is good for you."

When she is actually hungry, she eats up that carrot. When boredom is causing her desire, she moves on to nagging me about other things. And, the fact is a carrot is a preferred food. I'm not offering something she dislikes. For what its worth, I offer three meals and one snack a day for my 4 yo, 3 meals and 2 snacks for my 17mo. Our grocery bill is so high and I want my kids to eat what I spend time preparing rather than filling up on snack-y stuff.

Denton Midwife, sorry about the hard birth you attended. My doula for DD2 became a friend and we talked about how rough it is when the birth goes out of control. I hope the mama can focus on her sweet bundle and heals well (physically and emotionally).
Old 07-04-2014, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
@dentonmidwife , Sorry about your experience at that birth. The past two births I did reinforced the same idea. Home is where I belong.
@cagnew , I also limit my kids on food/snack. I do similarly to @DuchessTergie . We have breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner. They can eat however much they want at meal times. Snack is just whatever amt I give them. If they want to eat anything else at a non-eating time during the day, I give them two vegetable options. "Would you like a carrot or a cucumber? Oh, neither? Well, then you are not hungry. The next meal will be served in __ minutes/hours." This keeps me sane because when I was more loosey goosey about it, my kids didn't eat at meal times because they were full from grazing all day! I don't want to spend 1-2 hours cooking a nice, homemade dinner to just have it be wasted!

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

Old 07-04-2014, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Thanks ladies. I am more than a little afraid that I have going to have to have another csection due to kidney issues again instead of getting my HBAC. I am working really hard at taking care of my myself this time though.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:43 AM

Our approach to grazing is very similar--they can have a snack anytime, but odds are it's going to be a carrot or some bell pepper or maybe a piece of cheese or a hard-boiled egg. It's actually gotten to the point that our five-year-old will sanctimoniously tell our three-year-old, "You are obviously not even HUNGRY if you don't want to eat _____. Hungry people eat what they're offered." It's hilarious.

User Tag List