Folate (which brand?) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-03-2014, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Folate (which brand?)

I can no longer stomach my prenatal or my B complex which were my sources for folate. Can anyone recommend a really good brand for a single dose folate? I like Seeking Health but they have a few different folates and I got confused. What should I get?

And, somewhat related, I'm kind of freaking out that I haven't been taking folate for a week and a half and I am "maternally mature" since I'm 35 so that means my risk of neural tube defects are increased. I feel so guilty for not taking any these last couple weeks. Is it really *that* bad? I understand that your folate level isn't a store that is built up over time but something you really need to continually take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-03-2014, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Sorry I really don't know but I'm interested in hearing answers because I have yet to find a folate supplement! I've just been getting folic acid from my prenatals but would prefer to take folate.

June 18th, 2014
EDD February 26th, 2015
#3 of 8 Old 07-03-2014, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I was going to mention seeking health. I don't think you could go wrong with any of what they offer. I think I have one that gives 1000mcg L-5-MTHF in capsule form. I think they have a lozenge form and drops if you're having trouble taking pills.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#4 of 8 Old 07-03-2014, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Luckiest. I'm always thrown off the L-5 MTHF stuff. So is that actually 1000 mg of folate then?
#5 of 8 Old 07-03-2014, 06:19 PM

It's 1000 mcg of folate (RDA for pregnancy is 600mcg), and L-5-MTHF is just referring to the form of folate. In some of their blends I think they have "quatrefolate" which is just their blend of four different types of folate...methyl folate, folinic acid, and a couple others. Their supplements are geared toward people with the MTHFR gene defect, who have trouble metabolizing folic acid, so they offer different forms to give you the best chance of utilizing it. If you don't have the defect, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I just like having the solo folate on hand for days when I forget to take all of my prenatals (8 pills a day and can't take them within 5 hours of bedtime = I forget a lot!). DS was tongue and lip tied, technically midline defects, so I'm pretty serious about my folate!

#6 of 8 Old 07-04-2014, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
I can't recommend a specific brand, but I will say that if I'm just randomly looking for supplements at the store, I always make sure they come from dark glass bottles. Dark glass bottles show that the manufacturer is serious about quality over time since light degrades them and plastic is just cheap (and leaches into things).

Three kids and one on the way.
#7 of 8 Old 07-04-2014, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you luckiest, that makes sense now. I do really like their brand and even though I currently can't swallow them, I use their prenatal vitamin. I'll go ahead and get the L-5 MTHR capsules. I can swallow one small pill without throwing up but not 4 at a time for the prenatal. Even tried opening them and sprinkling on applesauce - yuck!
#8 of 8 Old 07-05-2014, 11:46 AM

The L-5-MTHF capsules are pretty tiny, so they should go down easier I use their prenatals as well.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page