Question for those homeschooling AND having a baby in February! ;) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By jodieanneanton
  • 1 Post By gabeyho
  • 1 Post By Rikki Jean
  • 2 Post By dentonmidwife
  • 1 Post By heatbrown

#1 of 15 Old 07-04-2014, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Question for those homeschooling AND having a baby in February! ;)

So, we home school here. DD1 is in 2nd Grade and DD2 is in PreK. I am just wondering what y'all are planning for time off when baby gets here. How will you fit it all in and have time to "recover"? Mostly, I am just thinking about the 2nd grader (still requires a lot of hands on mommy help), 'cuz DD2 will likely just tag along with whatever she is doing when she wants to. Just looking for ideas on how to make things work this year!

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#2 of 15 Old 07-04-2014, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Oh, I can not even think that far ahead yet! I need to get through the summer and be ready to start the school year first, before I can think about that. Thankfully, when we're all due, there's not much school year left.

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#3 of 15 Old 07-05-2014, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
lol. @gabeyho .

Last time I had a baby in Feb, I was hs-ing a kindergartner. So, I just quit. But with 3ish months of school after this baby and the 2nd grade factor, I figured I should prob try to figure out a plan.

My ideas:

Starting up early
only taking a week off in Dec (instead of the whole month...ha!)
ehh... i am out of ideas.
gabeyho likes this.

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#4 of 15 Old 07-05-2014, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I am in a very similar situation. I will have a 2nd grader and a K'er (and a 4 year old and an almost 2 year old...ahhhhh!!!!). I have no idea how it's going to work. Maybe take some time off when baby comes and work further into the summer? Or do some extra work before hand.

I've taken a fairly laid-back approach to homeschooling so far because DD1 was so easy to teach . She just zipped along with no problems. A very fast learner! I don't think I am going to be able to be as laid back now though because there will be 2 to teach and even though her brother is very intelligent, he's not like her. He will require a lot of direction and supervision and actual teaching.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#5 of 15 Old 07-05-2014, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Last time, we ended up taking two weeks off for my January baby since one week of that I was at the hospital. I just made up the days in other places.
#6 of 15 Old 07-05-2014, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I suppose not taking the entire month if December off is a good start. I tend to take most of may off, too. It's so hard not to, tho! My plan this summer was to finish up some of our work before this summer is over to be caught up better, but ask me how well that is going!
jodieanneanton likes this.

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#7 of 15 Old 07-05-2014, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
At least two weeks off if not a month. Those first couple weeks especially, your time will run in hours, not days.

I have been considering homeschooling, especially for my oldest before he goes into high school in a couple of years. He is very high functioning autistic and I would like to remove him from potential misunderstandings and prepare him for college myself. I would also consider it for the other kids, but I like for them to go to public school in elementary. I think they do a better job than I would at those stages.

Three kids and one on the way.
#8 of 15 Old 07-05-2014, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
We plan on HS, but nothing "official" until DD is 6. She'll just turn five when the babe is born, so I'll need a few things for her, but nothing too serious. Right now, we're focusing on beautiful things-- music appreciation, art appreciation, and character development. These activities are very open-ended requiring minimal introduction. We listen to lots of Classical Kids CDs, and that can be done while you nurse/care for your newborn.

In addition to re-structuring your schedule a bit, I have these ideas to toss out:

I don't know what kind of program/curriculum you prefer, but we love the Beautiful Feet literature packages. DD already has me read them to her, especially Abraham Lincoln. So, we sing songs about Abe, check out books about Abe from the library, build log cabins from blocks, etc... Is there something your DD really LOVES that you can expand on using literature, arts, and math skills? For example, if she is obsessed with ponies-- she can build complex stable arrangements, listen to Black Beauty via audiobook, etc..? When I was teaching, I also had my students write and maintain their own "National Geographic" journals where they journaled their science lessons, topics of interest, etc...

And caring for a newborn is an education in itself! We love the character training/devotional by Clay Clarkson called Our 24 Family Ways. We read/discuss every morning over breakfast. Your DD can apply what she is learning, say about caring for others in the home, by pouring juice for the family, or loading the dishwasher. She could learn and pratice great homekeeping skills as well as the character of servanthood (age app. obviously).

I find the Montessori principles of teaching young ones to do it for themselves to be so helpful. Maybe that can be an avenue as well.

Sorry for the novel--this very topic was on my mind as well and it looks like I did my thinking via typing.
#9 of 15 Old 07-06-2014, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We were doing K when my last baby was born. I started lessons up again two weeks after the birth. My son did better with the routine of our schoolday.

This time around, I'll have a K and 3rd grader. We plan to start lessons in August to get a jump on the year. I'm going to go as long as I can and be flexible about our start-up date. I know we can just continue through the summer until everything gets done.
#10 of 15 Old 07-10-2014, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I wrote a long reply, but then my phone ate it. In a nutshell, my kids officially in school will be 1st and 3rd grade. We will likely take off a month or more from anything formal. We are "relaxed" schoolers, though (unschool-leaning Charlotte Mason), so that isn't a huge leap for us. I have strong feelings about baby mooning, bonding, and recovering, and I think it should last a month or more.

My kids will be doing a lot of hands-on life learning in that month or so, and I'm sure reading won't slow down very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gabeyho likes this.

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#11 of 15 Old 07-13-2014, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'm teaching 5th, 2nd, and K this year. We started a few weeks ago, so it will be fine to take some time off in February. I plan to probably take a couple weeks off for the birth, then do some couch schooling from there. The newborn stage doesn't scare me as much as the mobile baby/toddler stage. :

My 5th grader can do a lot independently, as can my K'er (he's a strong reader). My 2nd grader needs me at elbow the whole time. But I can sit on the couch with a baby and watch him do math or reading or whatever. I also am laid back about lower elementary. There isn't THAT much we need to do. If they can read, write, and do math, I'm happy.
#12 of 15 Old 07-14-2014, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup View Post
The newborn stage doesn't scare me as much as the mobile baby/toddler stage. :

Seriously!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#13 of 15 Old 07-14-2014, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I will say that having a newborn, 5th grader, and 8th grader were way easier than a 1yo, 6th grader, and 9th grader.
crazyms and Katie Sandy like this.
#14 of 15 Old 07-17-2014, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm with boscopup!
I have 3 I'm schooling, 2nd, K, PreK (plus my little 2 yo running around), so we are starting next week and then I'll be taking about a month off when baby comes.
In my experience though babies are easier to deal with when homeschooling than daredevil toddlers. My first year homeschooling I had a 4month old and it was no issue. My second year, when he was walking, climbing, etc. is when it got tricky.
No matter what, give yourself room to take it easier and maybe just have a more lais back school year
#15 of 15 Old 07-17-2014, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I agree, I had #3 mid November, and although we took it easy for a month, it still wasn't too hard to school in my bed, have Grandma take over here and there, stuff still got done. But we're pretty relaxed anyway. We're doing school now, though, just to feel like there's plenty of wiggle room, especially if this turns out not to be the easiest baby (last one was super easy, so I'm trying not to plan on lightening striking twice!). I will have a 4th grader and K.
crazyms likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page