• 1 Post By murrelet
  • 1 Post By luckiest
  • 1 Post By happyday8598

#1 of 12 Old 07-17-2014, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Pregnancy Reading

Are you currently reading any books on pregnancy? Or do you have a favorite that you recommend?
Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way has been one of my favorites for 17 years now. I really want to acquire Birthing From Within. I have heard really good things about it from clients.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 07-17-2014, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Birthing from within was my fave through my last two pregnancies. I lent it to a friend though and I'm not sure I'll get it back. I found it so useful that I may buy another copy!

Ina May's guide to childbirth was also good for all the positive birth stories, but I found it less useful as a practical guide to dealing with labour.
Katie Sandy likes this.

Breastfeeding, cosleeping, homebirthing scientist mama to DD1 07/08, DD2 06/10 and a third on the way 02/15!

#3 of 12 Old 07-17-2014, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
The Ina May Gaskin (sp?) books were a life changer for me in my last pregnancy. Great thread, I'll definitely be stalking this one to get some good reads

Mama to oneone, and a brand new!
#4 of 12 Old 07-17-2014, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I've been re-reading all the books from DONA's required reading list. Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn is one of my favorites, and I like The Birth Partner for DH.

#5 of 12 Old 07-17-2014, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ina May's book are great! I'm currently reading a home birth book and about to start Childbirth Without Fear.
#6 of 12 Old 07-17-2014, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by entiti View Post
The Ina May Gaskin (sp?) books were a life changer for me in my last pregnancy.

Same here! I'm going to be reading them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#7 of 12 Old 07-18-2014, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I'm reading an old one by Michel Odent - The Nature of Birth and Breastfeeding. I LOVE it and it has some of my favorite birth quotes ever. If I had it near I would post some. My favorite is something along the lines of, "The goal is not to teach a woman to give birth. The goal is to avoid disturbing her unnecessarily."
Silverbirch likes this.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#8 of 12 Old 07-18-2014, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Odent is awesome! Some of his stuff I don't necessarily agree with, but his theories concerning the possible connection between the use of pain meds/induction and social disorders makes a lot of sense to me.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#9 of 12 Old 07-18-2014, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
A friend just gave me 3 to read. One Ina Gaskin book mentioned above, and two on unassisted births (the direction we're leaning). I'm reading "Unassisted Birth: An Act of Love" first, and so far like it. Some of the statistics of hospital birth over home birth are staggering!

#10 of 12 Old 08-05-2014, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
OK, so the name is a bit cheesy (as the author can be), but I wanted a book that addressed the kind of mindset I want to be in vs. something that mostly focuses on the mechanics. I am a huge fan of Birthing From Within, but I think it's too early (for me) to be thinking birth when I have a whole pregnancy to go (well, now almost 2/3), so I picked up Deepak Chopra's "Magical Beginnings, Enchanted Lives" and I am enjoying it. It takes and Ayurvedic perspective and includes meditations and a nice collection of Yoga illustrations. Later on, as I start prepping for birth I will re-read Spiritual Midwifery and BFW.

Resource-wise I use my birth work go-to's: Ina May's Guide, Simkin's Pregnancy Childbirth and Newborn, and Elizabeth Davis' "Heart and Hands"

#11 of 12 Old 08-06-2014, 04:36 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
The book "Unassisted Birth" by laura Shanley is great! I had to put the other Unassisted Birth book down, because I felt it was too "us vs them"... as though those who chose to home birth were somehow superior to those who chose hospital birth. A tricky line to truly buy into... I kept thinking of the black and white divide that governments create to create an us vs them mentality that starts all sorts of wars and ugly historical (and present day) happenings.
This book, however, is not like that at all. It's based mostly on research from other books and studies. There is a whole section based on visualization, and trust and comfort in our own bodies and wisdom. She quotes a lot of Seth books, which I've heard of through the years, but never picked up. Well, I'm ordering some of them today! I think they will help with both pregnancy and birth, but in all other facets of life, as well.

Aren't books SWELL!?!?
gabeyho likes this.

Last edited by happyday8598; 08-06-2014 at 04:25 PM.
#12 of 12 Old 08-06-2014, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Great post Happyday
I am going to get the book, as I am strongly considering birthing with just my husband, children, and hopefully a close friend in our home. And I can never say enough about Jane Roberts and the Seth books....they truly opened my mind wide open over a decade ago, so that is an extra plus for me! I guess I'm off to Amazon.....

Mama to oneone, and a brand new!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page