Supplementing with herbs.....? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-17-2014, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Supplementing with herbs.....?

I was wondering if anyone had any experience or knowledge about supplementing with fresh/dried herbs instead of pills.

I had such a fantastic experience healing a small cavity in my daughters mouth using herbs that I started a small (to be getting larger I hope!) medicinal herb garden.

When I look at the vitamin/mineral content concentrated in certain herbs (safe ones for pregnancy), it fits my logic that this would be more than enough to sustain a pregnancy.

Any thoughts?

Mama to oneone, and a brand new!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2014, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I plan on using dried herbs, especially for teas, in the second trimester. A good rule to follow is no herbs during the first trimester, just to be safe. Although there are some that can be used for issues like morning sickness, etc.
Aviva Romm's The Natural Pregnancy a Book has some great info about herbs during pregnancy.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I do pregnancy tea w/ red raspberry leaf, nettles, alfalfa, rose hips, dandelion, oat straw, red clover, and spearmint. I might add other things later, if I need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
This is a very intriguing idea, @entiti . I feel like finding the balance of herbs that is right would take a lot of effort... maybe that is why I haven't done it! lol.

I make teas infusions of red raspberry leaf, oatstraw, nettle, alfalfa, and rosehips throughout pregnancy and drink that... I might look into your idea more. Let me know if you find any recipes out there and I will do the same!

RE: healing a cavity... What was your concoction/dosage/frequency? I have successfully held off filling small cavities for my DD with change in diet to more closely follow WAPF and putting bentonite clay on her teeth a couple times/week. Very curious what you did!

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

Old 07-17-2014, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I seriously cannot swallow pills. All of my herbal supplementation is done as tea as a result. Right now, I am doin a pregnancy tea, additional nettle, dandelion root, and turmeric.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies thus forth

Denton, do you use turmeric root (I think I remember turmeric being a root?) or the ground spice itself? I know it is a strong anti-inflammatory which might be great for me on down the line.

Jodie:
This was a small cavity (black spot, with minor pain) between her k-9 and molar beginning to form, and some enamel on the k9 was coming off (eek...I know!). Long story short, after first changing her diet to no grain (no quinoa either during that time), of course no sugar, and trying desperately to get her to drink fresh veggie juices (which she wanted no part of!).....nothing seemed to be doing the trick, and I didn't want it getting any worse. So I did some reading about people healing bones/teeth with herbs, and after reading the nutritional value of most medicinal herbs...and that they far outweigh those of your average fruit or veggie, I thought I would give it a try.

Luckily I was in touch with an incredible herbalist at our local educational farm, and she told me all about horsetail and it being one of the richest natural sources of silica you can get...and combined with magnesium which you could find in other traditional herbs (dandelion, comfrey, nettles) that this was key to healing anything skeletal/tooth related.

I found this article that was a game changer,too:
http://www.healingteethnaturally.com...il-silica.html

Anyhoo....
A daily infusion (soaking 1/2 cup of each herb together at night in water) of oatstraw, nettles, dandelion leaf and root, comfrey leaf, and horsetail.

She drank two cups a day, right after her morning oil pull, and again late afternoon. We also put the soaked herbs in some cheesecloth and I had her chew it for 5-10 min a day on the side with the cavity.

We did this everyday for about 6 weeks, and saw gradual changes for the better. By the end of the month the black spot was gone, and in two months the spot where the enamel was gone was white and shiny!

I have to say we also stopped brushing so much, and started doing lots of rinsing instead. I think agitating the area with flossing and brushing caused abrasions that would cause bacteria to grow in that area. So we did oil pulls, and I always dabbed coconut oil on the spot when I did brush or floss it.

Those two things were key, I think. Because before, when we were trying everything else....nothing really seemed to work. I really attribute most of it to the herbs And being patient....which is not easy for me

Old 07-18-2014, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Oh....and I did drink a nettle infusion yesterday morning, and did a 2 hour hike and felt great! I didn't even have to lay down all day! I still can't believe it! I'm off to drink some for the day....and hope it has the same effect

User Tag List