Kombucha safety - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

#1 of 9 Old 07-20-2014, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Kombucha safety

I am 9 w 5 days and all I want to drink is cold, fizzy kombucha. I've heard that pregnant women should limit their kombucha or avoid it altogether because of the detox it causes. What are your thoughts on this? Any other fizzy drink leaves a yucky sugary aftertaste on my tongue and makes me more mucusy. Yuck. Kombucha is SO refreshing. I've tried to limit myself to a small glass each day but I want to guzzle it.

*history: I used to drink kombucha all the time and we made it at home. Got busy about 8 months ago and stopped making and drinking it. Figured that might be important since some say if you were drinking it before then it's fine to continue but I had a big lapse in which I was not drinking it.*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-20-2014, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I don't think it would be a problem, especially if you're buying it commercially and you've consumed it in the past (I assume you didn't have detox reactions when you started it before). However!! All ferments should be thought of as condiments - as healthful as kombucha is, I'm not sure guzzling it is a great idea. I'm a nutritional therapy student and we're taught to treat ferments as, yes, very important dietary components, but in small doses. A few bites of sauerkraut with a meal, not a cup of it as a side dish. I think the theory is just that the pendulum can be swung both ways, there can be too much of a good thing, and any ferment always has the potential to introduce some funk as well as the good stuff.

What about diluting it with sparkling water?

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#3 of 9 Old 07-20-2014, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Congrats on your pregnancy!

My reply is purely anecdotal but I hope it helps.

I am the mom of a 16 month old girl. My husband makes kombucha. He started because I am a fiend and he wanted to save money, now he's working on making it into a business.

Before pregnancy I drank at least 3 homemade kombuchas. In first trimester I drank about one GTs kombucha every three to I've days, after that I worked my way up to two a day watered down halfway with Apollinaris by the time DD was born.

DD was a perfectly robust 8lb 13 oz. after an initial 10lb loss in 1st tri due to nausea, I gained a healthy 25lb. She has a little jaundice after but that's because I let her sleep too much and didn't wake her up to nurse her enough.

Of course the alcohol content in kombucha is not enough to cause any harm, and DD is developmentally on track or ahead in gross and fine motor skills.

We're still nursing and I am drinking 1-5 (usually 2) homemade kombucha's a day. DD is happy, healthy and growing. She's 31.5" 27lb, strong, a great eater with great digestion.

My advice is to drink it in moderation and to pay attention to what your body wants/doesn't want
#4 of 9 Old 07-20-2014, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I just read luckiest's replay and I agree about the moderation thing. I drink a lot of kombucha; too much.
#5 of 9 Old 07-20-2014, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We brew kombucha. We have healthy cultures and have brewed for years. We started brewing for the same reason - my husband got tired of paying for 'booch habit and decided to employ his scientific self. I drank it through my last pregnancy and have been drinking it through this one. I usually drink a full bottle every day or 2. Early in first trimester it's all I could drink. The last week or so I havent wanted it so I've been listening to my body.
#6 of 9 Old 07-20-2014, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
There was a lady in my LLL who guzzled down kombucha during her pregnancy....swearing by it helping with her with stomach issues, she had her babe healthily, and carried to term and all. My husband's cousin also had a healthy baby full term guzzling mountain dew!
I guess what you consider 'healthy' is a factor, and what was your 'norm' for the things you ate/drank before conception. Which is different for everyone.
Although I agree that too much of any ferment can be overtly acid forming, I doubt your body would take it to the extreme of a worse case scenario.

A little cold kombucha sounds quite nice right about now

Mama to oneone, and a brand new!
#7 of 9 Old 07-21-2014, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for the input ladies. I hadn't thought to water it down. I think I'll try that. I forgot that my mom had offered me some at her house several weeks ago and she watered it down with tonic water. We have lots of Pellegrino around here so I'll do that!

It makes sense that ferments should be used as a condiment. It does seem to be about the only thing that my stomach wants but I'll stick with my moderate consumption and water it down. Thanks!

Entiti, SO TRUE about women who have different habits and all go on to have healthy babies. Several of my close friends don't pay a lick of attention to their diets (mt. dew included) and they've ALL had lovely, healthy babies who are now smart preschoolers and elementary kids! I suppose you never know!
#8 of 9 Old 07-22-2014, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We drink and brew water kefir to avoid the caffeine that's in buch. That's another option.
#9 of 9 Old 07-22-2014, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
AMNB, we do water kefir for the same reason! Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page