Twitchy Eyelid... PG Symptom? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-21-2014, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Twitchy Eyelid... PG Symptom?

For the last two days my left eyelid has been randomly... twitching isn't quite the right word, but the closest one I can think of to describe it. It's not like a series of quick twitches, it's like the lid has a momentary, single spasm from time to time. It happened a bit in my right eye yesterday as well.

My mom has MS and I am always freaked out by things like this that happen since MS is apparently genetic.

Anyone ever heard of eyelids acting up during pregnancy?

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#2 of 10 Old 07-21-2014, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hey Cagnew,
I would think it very plausible to chalk your eye twitch up to pregnancy, seeing that most mild involuntary spasms can be related to stress, not enough rest, etc. In general, a drag on the nervous/immune system. Which, are ALL symptoms of pregnancy! Yay! Eye twitching is pretty normal for even non pregnant people to have every now and then, again, especially in times of stress. I would eat more magnesium rich foods, tea, etc. Usually doesn't last long....but I remember when it would happen to me periodically feeling like EVERYONE could notice and thought it was a full blow case of epilepsy! lol.....only in my head....I don't think it's very noticeable at all

Mama to oneone, and a brand new!
#3 of 10 Old 07-21-2014, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Yep! I'm definitely twitchier during pregnancy. I've noticed eyelid spasms before, and recently I had about an hour of odd little thigh twitches. That one was silly, I kept demanding that my husband drop what he was doing to stare at my leg (and, of course, every time we paid attention to it, it went dormant). @entiti 's explanation makes a lot of sense to me, and my experience at the very least goes to show you that you're not alone! There's no MS history in my family, either, so I hope that does a tiny bit to reassure you.

#4 of 10 Old 07-21-2014, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reassurances! Pregnancy is so strange! I'm glad that women get to be the ones to bear children, but I wish men could experience the wild weirdness of what pregnancy does to us. Just for fun, just for awhile

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#5 of 10 Old 07-21-2014, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
I have had them, though not in pregnancy. And MS does not run in my family that I know of. I have, however, noticed that my restless leg syndrome has been acting up sometimes. That does run in my family and I remember the last pregnancy it was particularly bad in the last couple months, then when the baby was born, it magically went away overnight. So I'm expecting it to happen again.

Three kids and one on the way.
#6 of 10 Old 07-21-2014, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I get that sometimes even when not pregnant, and it's happened during this pregnancy also. It's annoying! No MS in my family either.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#7 of 10 Old 07-22-2014, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Magnesium absorption is somewhat disrupted in pregnancy, and can be a factor in any kind of muscle twitching or cramping. You can try drinking/cooking with bone broth, taking a mag or cal/mag supplement like Natural Calm, or using magnesium spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#8 of 10 Old 07-23-2014, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Speaking of this symptom, my eye was twitching earlier today. So there you go.

Three kids and one on the way.
#9 of 10 Old 07-24-2014, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Sorry to butt in. It's often iron deficiency anemia, stress, or magnesium deficiency. I take Natural Calm or mine twitches pretty continuously and it's much worse in pregnancy.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#10 of 10 Old 07-24-2014, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I might check out that Natural Calm supplement y'all mentioned.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page