Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

#31 of 75 Old 07-29-2014, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie11 View Post
Also, for any cloth diaper users who got the kind with velcro instead of snaps, did you find that it stopped latching at any point or did it work over and over forever?
With my first we bought bum genius with velcro which I loved, but the velcro crapped out in less than a year. I shipped them out to a work at home mom and had her replace the velcro with snaps. These worked so much better and lasted with no problems through to a second child up to 24 months(ish). I bet some of those diapers are still going strong somewhere! (I gave them away after DD2 was reliably using the potty).
Valerie11 likes this.

Breastfeeding, cosleeping, homebirthing scientist mama to DD1 07/08, DD2 06/10 and a third on the way 02/15!

#32 of 75 Old 07-29-2014, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Also, for any cloth diaper users who got the kind with velcro instead of snaps, did you find that it stopped latching at any point or did it work over and over forever?
I had a few BGs with velcro and hated them. They crapped out after less than a year and no matter how careful I was they always got tangled up in the washer.
Valerie11 likes this.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#33 of 75 Old 07-29-2014, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Even the ladies at one of the stores here that sells cloth diapers mentioned that the velcro doesn't last forever, so I guess I will stick with the snaps.

Three kids and one on the way.
#34 of 75 Old 07-29-2014, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yep, our BG velcro gave up too. They made it most of 2 years, but not even close to multi-kid levels of life span like my snap diapers. I am going to have to either replace velcro with snaps or replace diapers.
Valerie11 likes this.

Larissa, mom to my 3 girls (07/10), (05/02), and (09/98)
#35 of 75 Old 07-29-2014, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
I got the Bravado Body Sleek bra today at a place in town that carries them and helps you get fitted. I LOVE it. SOOO comfortable. My breasts are still a little sore, but not as sore as they had been so I think the growing is slowing down, and I know how they are when they are full of milk, so I chose one that looks a tiny bit loose right now but could hold more. I'm so happy with it! I also tried on the original, but it was nowhere near as comfortable.

I use Velcro instead of snaps. I hated Thirsties Velcro and my med sized covers didn't last through one kid. Supposedly they have new Velcro that will last. I have a bunch of blueberry covers and they are lasting longer. My son uses them at night and if he doesn't wear shorts they fall off sometimes but they do ok otherwise. My favorite has been Bummis. Usually they eventually need replacing though. I am trying not drying them now to see if that helps them last longer.

I didn't like fuzzi buns because they were thinner in te crotch and I have wide babies.
Valerie11 likes this.
#36 of 75 Old 07-29-2014, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I'm thinking AIO too. I did prefolds before and then the Bum ones. But I think I will do prefolds the first two- three weeks because a lot of the times the AIO or pocket diapers are just too small and it is easier to use a snappi and a wrap cover.
I don't have any maternity clothing yet. My husband and I threw all my awesome clothes( well gave it to a thrift) last august thinking I would never be pregnant again.
#37 of 75 Old 07-29-2014, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've been collecting some different diapers second hand as I find them, and I'm thinking about getting some new ones from Three Monkeys. I'm planning on mainly prefolds at home, but pockets seem like they'll be easier for outings and babysitters.
#38 of 75 Old 07-30-2014, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm amazed at the SAHMs who will retrofit velcro dipes! My friend gave me her barely used stash of 5 yr old velcro BGs, and the velcro drove me crazy, so i decided to rip off the velcro and put in snaps. I was a professional seamstress (bridal and custom work) and have made plenty of my own diapers. I know my way around some PUL and snaps! But working on those dipes - I was also switching out the elastic for good measure - made me want to tear my hair out. I only completely finished two before giving up and looking for sales for new BG 4.0 snap diapers. More expensive, but totally worth it. I do not know how those SAHMs end up making any money doing it - I would have made something like $.25/hr, and I'm seriously a quick sewer (I made all my high school prom and homecoming dresses the night before, and from original designs!). Hats off to those mamas!
DuchessTergie and murrelet like this.
#39 of 75 Old 07-30-2014, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

I dug out some of my winter maternity clothes yesterday. The medium maternity jeans went on, but they were too tight for my comfort. I suppose I'll have to get size larges, but I will wait to make sure I don't need XL, or that I don't lose weight and fit the M. Definitely selling all of my size small maternity clothes at some point. Is it too late to sell summer clothes? I'm thinking it is. Especially for lots of them at a time. I also hate taking pictures of clothes, of all things. Clothes are the worst. The pictures always come out looking wrinkly, even if they're not, with little specs of something, even if you can't see them in real life, and the wrong color, which always needs correcting in Photoshop (blues and reds particularly are too bold and need to be toned down). It's just so much work for something that looks fine in person. Cameras and human eyes do not see things the same way.

#40 of 75 Old 07-30-2014, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Heatbrown, I agree! My hat's off to those ladies.

The velcro held up OK on the first set of BG, it was the elastic that gave way. Same thing on the new set of BG (but I upgraded to snaps hoping to re-use them for another babe). I make skinny minnies and need those diapers to hug snug. I don't have the time or patience to rip seams, finagle elastic, then stitch it up again. I was looking at FuzziBuns because they address the elastic issue. There are so many new brands I need to look into I think.

Valerie11-- sometimes a quick tumble in the dryer will reshape the velcro tabs and make them sticky again. At least it worked for the BG 3.0s we had. Come to think of it, maybe the trade off in doing that was ruining the leg elastics....
Valerie11 likes this.
#41 of 75 Old 07-30-2014, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Do any of you CD'ers have front-loading washers? I had read that they didn't rinse or clean CD very well, but I don't know if that's true. I would consider trying CD'ing again, but wouldn't want to set myself up for disaster.

Also, do you use special detergent, or just free and clear (whatever brand... Purex, All, etc)?

I'm sure this info is already discussed on the CD forum, but I'm feeling too lazy to look it up right now...

I used FLIP diapers (and some BG that were given to me) with my second child. I have such a horrible memory... I can't remember if I liked them or not. I don't think I would use them again if I did it again, but only because there are other ones I'd rather try out.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#42 of 75 Old 07-30-2014, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

I had to use a special detergent with enzymes that eat the poo. It was called Rock, I think, and it came in two formulas, for hard or soft water. And there were definitely stains that would never quite disappear, but it was totally clean.

#43 of 75 Old 07-30-2014, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, and I always have top load, not front load.

#44 of 75 Old 07-30-2014, 12:19 PM

I have a front loader. The issue I think is that they use so little water that they never really get a good soak. But I never had a problem getting mine clean. I did a no-detergent rinse first (my machine has a "rinse and spin" cycle and I'd just cut it off before the spin). Since it auto-senses load size, having soaking wet diapers makes it think there's more in there and tricks it into using more water. Putting a wet towel in there serves the same purpose. Anyway, then I ran it on a sanitize cycle with an extra rinse. On my machine if I did that and set it to "heavily soiled" it's like a two hour cycle and they always came out clean. We had some issues with hard water buildup after a while, but I don't think it had anything to do with the machine.

#45 of 75 Old 07-30-2014, 12:25 PM

Oh, I have a super weird CD question! We moved to a new house and are on septic. The gray water from our washing machine just gets dumped in our back yard...right by our tree swing, like 5 feet from the corner of the house. It's very typical for gray water to be dumped somewhere on the property...but my question is, what about pee and poo?! It isn't really gray water anymore once I'm washing human waste regularly, right? I'm not sure if it's worth worrying about. Breast milk poop isn't offensive, and I'll be flushing the "solids" poop, but I wonder if the remnants are enough to be concerned over. Or the pee. It's just that we play in that general area every day...so I'm not sure if I should look into moving where it gets dumped (not even sure if we have another option) or tying into the septic ($$$$)...

#46 of 75 Old 07-30-2014, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
I have a random question for CD'ers. What do you do with dirty diapers when you're out and about? Do you just keep them in a bag and carry them around with you? Is it inconvenient?
#47 of 75 Old 07-30-2014, 01:29 PM

A lot of diaper companies also make wet bags to store dirties in. It isn't the most convenient thing, but they work. I kept some big ziplock bags in my purse as well - if it was poop I'd do a ziplock AND the wet bag to keep smells away.

#48 of 75 Old 07-30-2014, 01:47 PM

I also use a front loader. I found that I had to trick the machine just like @luckiest . Two or three towels in the load almost always gets more water in. I would also let it fill, then turn off the machine, turn it on again and it would fill more up to a maximum. That and the super sanitary setting always worked for us. I never had to strip. We don't have particularly soft or hard water here, so I always just used my regular unscented detergent.

Breastfeeding, cosleeping, homebirthing scientist mama to DD1 07/08, DD2 06/10 and a third on the way 02/15!

#49 of 75 Old 07-30-2014, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Bren, there are the cloth diapers, and then there are the things you will need to buy with the cloth diapers to make an effective diapering system:

-A sprayer that you hook to your toilet to wash the poop into the toilet. ~$20 (though I've seen more expensive the $20 one worked great)
-3 wet bags (2 big ones for in the house and a little one for traveling) $10-30 each
-reusable wet wipes - you can get a few for $10-20, I would get two packs of those at least
-And detergent. I can't remember how much it costs, but like I said before, it has enzymes. I think it was $10-20 for one bag and that lasts at least a month.

And then the diapers will cost $5-$20 for each one depending upon which ones you get. I've heard of great deals on eBay, but they were from china and not sure how safe that is. It is a big investment at first, but then the fact that you don't spend $40+ a month on diapers for so many months makes up for that very quickly.

#50 of 75 Old 07-30-2014, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Thanks Valerie! I have most of that on my registry (yeah I already started it, I'm excited) but I didn't even think about a small wet bag for traveling. I'm gonna learn a lot from you experienced mamas.
#51 of 75 Old 07-30-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren94 View Post
Thanks Valerie! I have most of that on my registry (yeah I already started it, I'm excited) but I didn't even think about a small wet bag for traveling. I'm gonna learn a lot from you experienced mamas.
Eh. I never bothered. I just made sure to always have a plastic bag or ziploc with me. I find that the bags that are sold for dog poop are the perfect size for a diaper. For some reason, the one small dry bag I got fell apart after about a month, and I got sick of having to wash it all the time to have something in my bag for diapers.

#52 of 75 Old 07-30-2014, 03:39 PM

I have two small wet bags since I leave the house so often and sometimes I have one in the wash when I am leaving. When we are out I just roll it up and stick it in my bag and rinse it when we get home later.

I use disposable wipes and just wash them with my diapers and throw them away when I fold laundry(that way I don't have to worry about putting dirty wipes somewhere special)

It's called "rockin green" and A LOT of people end up having trouble with it. I use tide. If you have hard water, it's a little harder to figure out a good wash routine and I just started having to use a small amount of bleach in each load to keep the smells away.

@luckiest - when we first moved into our house we noticed a "discharge" going into our year and I was afraid to CDcwith it. But we found out it's from the home water filter and not the septic. If it had been actual washer waste, I would think I may even be illegal to be letting sewage build up in your yard. I dunk and swish in the toilet but when I pre-rinse my diapers the water smells horribly enough I wouldn't want it near my play area at all...
#53 of 75 Old 07-30-2014, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Agree with murrelet, plastic ziplocks work fine for leaving the house, too.

We had hard water last time, but this time it's soft as long as we remember to fill the water softener with salt (we forget a lot). But yeah, that was the name of it Rockin Green. You are also supposed to use bleach on the cloth diaper inserts like once a month or so, I think. Being pregnant is making me forget so many things.

#54 of 75 Old 07-31-2014, 06:11 AM

Not sure what brands they are, but there are cloth diapers and wet bags on Zulily today -

http://m.zulily.com/event/91147?returned=1

#55 of 75 Old 07-31-2014, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckiest View Post
Not sure what brands they are, but there are cloth diapers and wet bags on Zulily today -

http://m.zulily.com/event/91147?returned=1

They look like Alvas, which other sites have for almost half as much. I'd skip Zulily and look elsewhere on this deal.

Btw, does anyone have experience with the Alvas? The reviews I see are so mixed, but for the price I'd love to get some for daytime diapers.
#56 of 75 Old 07-31-2014, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
It never occured to me my front-loading washer, which I didn't have when diapering the first baby, may be a part of my CD woes this time around. I'll try tossing in a towel. Does it need to be wet first?

I never did get a diaper sprayer. I just rolled the poo into the potty. And I skipped special detergents and used Tide Free. There are so many components to CDing, it can be hard to pin-point the problem.
#57 of 75 Old 08-02-2014, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It seems impossible to find good little boy dress pants but I found some today on etsy. Im thinking about getting some. Does any one have experience on etsy. Are products pretty good. This is the link to the pants I want https://www.etsy.com/shop/TandEli?ref=shop_sugg what do you think?
#58 of 75 Old 08-02-2014, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Those pants are very cute. I quit bothering with dressy outfits (I like the more rugged outdoorsy stuff, myself) for the kids years ago. Now all of our pictures are just the kids in their normal kid clothes. But those are cute.

I love Etsy. I recently got a kangaroo leather lanyard for my work ID badge and love it. Now I use it for our house key when I leave the house on foot. I just love the idea that you are buying from a person who spent time and effort to make something with their hands, not a corporation that imports from other countries and doesn't necessarily pay a living wage.

#59 of 75 Old 08-02-2014, 12:23 PM

I have had some good and some bad on etsy. Mostly good though. Each seller is different so you just have to read reviews. I also have a hard time finding good dress pants. (Especially at a reasonable price)
#60 of 75 Old 08-02-2014, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
For at least the first 5 months after I give birth, we will be living in our current apartment, which means we will have to use the coin operated older model washer and dryer in the basement that costs a total of $3/load. Not ideal at all. What do all you veteran mamas think? Would we be better off doing a diaper service?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page