Baby Buys - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

Old 08-02-2014, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I'd go with the diaper service, but for different reasons--I'd have a very hard time asking my neighbors to sign up for sharing laundry facilities with cloth diapers, knowingly or unknowingly. I realize this is a touchy subject, but our personal comfort with laundering our own diapers does not necessarily extend to every single person who may be using a communal washer, particularly in an apartment building where plenty of people live. For myself, I never considered washing cloth diapers while we lived in an apartment (when our second was born, and throughout her infancy); I just couldn't get past the certainty that it would seriously offend some of the people we lived alongside.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2014, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeThatsMe View Post
I'd go with the diaper service, but for different reasons--I'd have a very hard time asking my neighbors to sign up for sharing laundry facilities with cloth diapers, knowingly or unknowingly. I realize this is a touchy subject, but our personal comfort with laundering our own diapers does not necessarily extend to every single person who may be using a communal washer, particularly in an apartment building where plenty of people live. For myself, I never considered washing cloth diapers while we lived in an apartment (when our second was born, and throughout her infancy); I just couldn't get past the certainty that it would seriously offend some of the people we lived alongside.
Thanks for your honesty! Yes, that occurred to me as well (though we are in a 4-plex building, so there's not a huge amount of traffic). But these facilities aren't really that great in the first place, so I am not sure how well they'd do from a sanitation perspective anyway. I think the only part that bums me out is that some of the newer diaper designs seem so much more comfy for baby than the kinds of standard diapers used in a service.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestlover75 View Post
Thanks for your honesty! Yes, that occurred to me as well (though we are in a 4-plex building, so there's not a huge amount of traffic). But these facilities aren't really that great in the first place, so I am not sure how well they'd do from a sanitation perspective anyway. I think the only part that bums me out is that some of the newer diaper designs seem so much more comfy for baby than the kinds of standard diapers used in a service.
Tell me about it!! My husband's completely not on board with laundering our own until we're well into solids (which doesn't make a whole lot of sense from my vantage point, but he's the at-home parent/primary laundry-doer and he ain't budging), so I've been reluctantly looking into services, and man. Having recently researched options for a friend who lives in Toronto, I am soooo jealous, because she's set up with a SERVICE that does FITTEDS! And it's price-competitive! I think one of the services in my neighborhood does fitted diapers, but it costs a pretty penny more. So we're probably just going to sigh and stick with prefolds. Goodbye, lovely fun options.

Apartment living can be a drag sometimes, huh, @forestlover75 ? I hope you find the perfect solution for you (and get to move into the perfect place for you soon!).

Old 08-04-2014, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeThatsMe View Post
Tell me about it!! My husband's completely not on board with laundering our own until we're well into solids (which doesn't make a whole lot of sense from my vantage point, but he's the at-home parent/primary laundry-doer and he ain't budging), so I've been reluctantly looking into services, and man. Having recently researched options for a friend who lives in Toronto, I am soooo jealous, because she's set up with a SERVICE that does FITTEDS! And it's price-competitive! I think one of the services in my neighborhood does fitted diapers, but it costs a pretty penny more. So we're probably just going to sigh and stick with prefolds. Goodbye, lovely fun options.

Apartment living can be a drag sometimes, huh, @forestlover75 ? I hope you find the perfect solution for you (and get to move into the perfect place for you soon!).
We are in faculty housing until next July, and are happy with it. Having one of the most beautiful campuses in the country as essentially our backyard is a major plus. I am planning to have a home birth though, and I will admit feeling a tad bit akward that my husband's colleagues are our neighbor's. But I figure having up to 30 other laboring women and a gaggle of strangers (ie: the hospital) would be more awkward.

Back to diapers, there's a service here that does folds, but they're organic, ozone free, and run as a co-op, which I am happy to support. Our goal is to be as simple as possible, so perhaps this will keep us from getting pulled into the diaper industrial complex, where the options are endless.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
I was reading that the AIOs (all in ones) are bulkier and require more drying time, thus wearing them out sooner. I'm going to stop by this store in town that sells resuable diapers today while I'm running errands and check out what they have for pocket diapers. apparently, those are supposed to be the next best things to AIOs, but dry easier since you can take the inserts out.

Three kids and one on the way.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

So, update. I went to the most awesome natural baby store yesterday and checked out the AIO diapers. There is one from BumGenius that unfolds so that it will dry easier. It was called freesomething. I also liked how they had a million snaps to adjust to most sizes. I will probably get those.

Also tried the two baby wraps I want with the newborn to infant phase to wear baby around the house. I tried the Moby and Boba and turns out I like the Boba more. I thought it would be the other way around. The baby they have to try it with was actually pretty heavy. My guess is 15-20 lbs at least, so it was nice to find that it feels very secure. I liked the stretchy one because the Moby was put on too tight to begin with and loosening it was not easy. It took my breath away it was so tight with the baby in it. So I'm all for the stretchy.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie11 View Post
So, update. I went to the most awesome natural baby store yesterday and checked out the AIO diapers. There is one from BumGenius that unfolds so that it will dry easier. It was called freesomething. I also liked how they had a million snaps to adjust to most sizes. I will probably get those.

Also tried the two baby wraps I want with the newborn to infant phase to wear baby around the house. I tried the Moby and Boba and turns out I like the Boba more. I thought it would be the other way around. The baby they have to try it with was actually pretty heavy. My guess is 15-20 lbs at least, so it was nice to find that it feels very secure. I liked the stretchy one because the Moby was put on too tight to begin with and loosening it was not easy. It took my breath away it was so tight with the baby in it. So I'm all for the stretchy.
I think it's the freestyle ? It's pretty new. The only issue I remember is it has microfiber so if you have hard water it might be harder to keep smellies away.

I have a Boba Wrap(mines a sleepy wrap from before it changed names). I love the stretchy!!! I remember it being comfortable til about 16 lbs, then it was only ok for short trips. My daughter ended up hating it(and two other carriers I tried) so I will be so excited if I get to use it again with my third. I really liked that it kept people's hands away too.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahknavy View Post
I think it's the freestyle ? It's pretty new.
I had to look it up, it's the freetime. I kept calling it freestyle, too, so I knew that wasn't it.

I noticed that the SleepyWraps go for a bit less money on eBay, so I might get one of those just for the price difference from the Boba.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, this is a good lot, but there's no way I can bid on it yet. It's not in our budget just yet. This comes to less than $10 each. Just posting in case anyone else wants to bid. 4 days left and only $100 with free shipping for 12 of them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/bumGenius-Fr...item25936ec959

Old 08-05-2014, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie11 View Post
I had to look it up, it's the freetime. I kept calling it freestyle, too, so I knew that wasn't it.

I noticed that the SleepyWraps go for a bit less money on eBay, so I might get one of those just for the price difference from the Boba.
My sister has the Freetime. She's really happy with them! We both got our dipes from Cotton Babies because of their AWESOME service. My sister had an issue with a few snaps, and the company replaced ALL the snaps, at not charge, with free shipping. Excellent!
Old 08-06-2014, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Ahhhh! You guys are totally making me want to CD. Those BG freetime ones look pretty nice! I don't know... maybe I should start putting some money aside, or slowly buying a dipe here and there....

I have a Baby K'Tan and I'm not really happy with it. I feel like it encloses the babies face too much in the reclining position, and when they are old enough to put in a more sitting position, I find it's too loose even with the piece you tie around them. One of my babies almost flipped out of it once at the store. I have a ring sling, but I've never tried it. Bought it at a thrift store... it's a maya wrap.

Maybe I will check out the Boba. Does the structured one work with a newborn? How is the stretchy one different from a Moby?

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
Old 08-06-2014, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

I was told that to get through 2 days with a newborn that you need about 24 diapers. That is a lot of diapers to buy at $20 or so a diaper. It ends up being at least $400 when buying in bulk. I could see getting away with 12 and just doing a ton of laundry at first.

cagenew, the Boba wrap is stretchy fabric and the Moby wrap is not. I think the Moby is actually more material when you lay them out. There is also a Boba carrier that is much like the Ergo carrier and about the same price point. I'm not sure what you mean by structured, though.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
@cagnew Did you maybe need a smaller sized k'tan? I did find that mine stretched out a little after a week of use, like a pair of jeans, so washing it regularly helped it keep its shape. I absolutely loved mine and found it to be functionally identical to my moby, but it took three seconds to put on. I wonder if it didn't feel secure if it wasn't just too big for you.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
Old 08-06-2014, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
I only bought 15 or 16 diapers, and it was plenty. My babies are in the 7 pound range at birth, so I stick with disposables for the first 3 weeks or so, then transition to cloth. Cotton Babies also sells used diapers in excellent condition....That really helps the money stretch.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
The structured ones sometimes work with newborns. If you are interested, I would get an Ergo with a newborn insert. I can't remember if the boba 3G has a newborn insert or not? But yes some of the "soft structured carriers" work with newborns.

Getting away with 17 diapers is crazy talk! I'm surprised! I had 36 and washed every other day and felt like that was good. But I also used prefolds and covers and that was cheaper.

Remember that "one size" diapers don't actually start fitting til 10 ish lbs. a lot of people will use prefolds and covers for the first couple months(til the thighs chunk up) then switch to one size.

Also remember that though it's a big investment up front, it's cheaper and in the end, you can sell and make some money back.

User Tag List