Baby Buys - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

#1 of 75 Old 07-27-2014, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Baby Buys

I took the kids to the mall on Friday to let them climb on the play area while I could sit in comfort and not chase or follow them like on the playground and other places we go. So then we walked to Motherhood Maternity where I purchased a couple of t-shirts to get me through the summer weather since my belly bulge is already the size of a 5-6 month first pregnancy. And along the way, we saw this baby boutique store and my 3.5 year old just had to go in and play with all the toys.

It's one of those places with unique scooters and tricycles and many things you probably wouldn't find at Target or Walmart, just unique items. And thankfully, I have enough kids that I realize I don't need most of it, but there are some things I have in my head that I need that I'm waiting until late in pregnancy to buy, just in case.

Like, was comparing the Boba wrap to Moby, and I can get a Moby wrap on eBay for like $10 instead of $40 new. I also really want an Ergo carrier for when the baby is heavier, because I loved how comfortable it was and how it distributed the weight onto my waist instead of my shoulders. I even have one right now that also sits on the waist, but it's nowhere near as comfortable as the Ergo for me. My husband picked it and likes it. But the Ergo goes for almost what I paid for it new, so of course I sold my last one and not sure if I want to spend that much again.

I'm also eyeing the Bravado Body Sleek nursing bra for now. That thing also goes for $40 used and $50 new (so why not just get new?). I'm looking at going to a place in town that actually has them and helps you fit them. My chest is getting bigger, so I'm wanting to go now and get that.

I can't think of much else I want right now. Are any of you fixated on special baby/pregnancy items that you feel you just can't live without?

Three kids and one on the way.
#2 of 75 Old 07-27-2014, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I have a Boba Wrap and a Boba 3G that I love. My MIL is making me a wrap conversation for a toddler carrier.

I have a few things I really want- co-sleeper, portable night light are the two ones that have me excited.

As far as pregnancy goes, I recently started wearing skirts exclusively so I might need some bottoms but hopefully I have enough tops that I won't need one.

I would love a padded nursing bra. The ones I have that I got fitted for arn't and it shows leaks fast. It's so hard cause no one carries my size. I hate ordering online !
#3 of 75 Old 07-27-2014, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I am super, super coveting an Ergo as well. We have several wraps (I actually just splurged on a new one with the logo of my husband's favorite baseball team on it, just because--seriously?! I can't even believe they actually manufacture that, too hilarious, and I know he will LOVE it; his birthday is a few weeks before Baby's due date, so I'm excited to give it to him then) and a mei tai that's gotten plenty of use over the two older ones' infancies; but IIIIIII waaaaaaant that Ergo. My coworkers are apparently super baby-shower-happy, so maybe I'll nudge them in that direction if they show any interest in doing a group gift.

We're also going to need a pack and play of some sort, and I have amused myself some by looking around for a super-fancy one. But it's not like the Ergo where I'm pretty sure if we don't receive one, I'm going to just up and buy one anyway.

#4 of 75 Old 07-27-2014, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I love my Ergo! I have all my favorite carriers still and our pack n play. Apparently I knew in my heart we weren't quite done having kids!
The only thing I really need to buy is car seat. I'm torn between buying an infant seat or just going straight to a convertible. My babies are typically big (8-10#) and grow quickly so they are overflowing the infant seat by 6 months. But those first 2 months they seem swallowed by the convertible. We love our Radian and that's what I'll get again, but should I get an infant seat too? I don't take it off the base ever because we babywear so it is strictly a car seat. This is what keeps me up at night.
gabeyho likes this.
#5 of 75 Old 07-28-2014, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm definitely getting another ergo. Also, probably a Chicco pack and play in lieu of a cosleeper; I really loved the Chicco last time and the mattresses on the cosleepers are kinda meh. I will definitely get a few bravado bras. I really loved mine last time and it is the one thing for myself I have learned is worth every penny. I probably won't bother with an infant car seat unless someone gives me one. Last time I started with a convertible from the get go and didn't miss the baby seat at all.

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#6 of 75 Old 07-28-2014, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I guess we can see why the Ergo sells for so much used. Everyone loves them! I noticed that there are two other carriers that are designed to be a lot like the Ergo, except cost a lot more. But I guess it's for a reason, since they have more padding in the straps and a wider butt holder and stuff like that. But I was pretty happy with Ergo, so I see no reason to spend more.

http://thehappyhippiehomemaker.blogs...omparison.html

#7 of 75 Old 07-28-2014, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Another Ergo fan here I lost my Ergo this summer at the zoo, but I was able to get a like-new one from eBay for $60 (including shipping). You just have to be careful because there are a lot of imitators on eBay that look a lot like the real thing.

I need a new car seat. I bought one with the last baby... went for the cheapest Graco I could find that came with a double stroller. We HATED that car seat. I think I will be selling it at a consignment sale and just buying a new one. Our first car seat was a Graco and it was fine, so I am thinking it was just a cheap model. We'd like to get a Radian, but we'll have to save for it for awhile.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else. I have a hard time finding bras because I have a small band size but a big cup size. It's always a pain to get one. Bravado makes the one that looks like a sports bra (I think it's their original) and that one works well for home. I would like a good bra, however, that doesn't give me uni-boob and that holds me up. I wish stores sold some other brands besides Bravado and Medela. I see other brands online, but I don't like buying them online. Too much hassle if I have to return it.

Sarah: If you find any good source for maternity skirts (longer ones... like knee-length and below), lemme know. They can be hard to find. I am an exclusive skirt-wearer too, although I do a couple pairs of maternity jeans for practical purposes in case I need them.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#8 of 75 Old 07-28-2014, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I am wanting to try an Ergo this time around. All I had last time was my homemade Moby and quit baby wearing as soon as he got very heavy. I was only able to figure out front carries though. Last time, I didn't have anyone to help with back carries. I do this time though.
I also want to go straight to the convertible seat, now that their are more affordable options. Last time, the only one that I found was $300 which was not in my budget.
#9 of 75 Old 07-28-2014, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

dentonmidwife, when I had the Ergo, I never tried wearing it on my back, because it was too much easier to put him on the front. Also, I looked on Consumer Reports to get our convertible car seats. They had two categories, the high priced and low priced, so I bought two Cosco Scenera seats for $40 each from Walmart (shipped to store) and although they aren't as big and padded as some other models, they got the best reviews on the low priced options on CR, and have worked for us just fine.

Here's the link: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-Scen...-Seat/16932760

#10 of 75 Old 07-28-2014, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I have a Boba but I'm thinking about trading it for an Ergo - only because they have one now that has a mesh panel, much cooler for hot Texas summers. Baby wearing in Austin heat is a special kind of misery. I used a K'tan last time until DS was about 6 months - LOVED it. All the functionality of a moby, but without needing to tie it up.

I'll need to figure out a car seat situation...on the fence of whether to get another infant seat or go straight to the convertible. I have a few friends who just had babies, so maybe they'll have outgrown their infant seats by February and I can borrow one. If not, I'll probably get one of the new Dionos (Pacifica or Rainier).

I think I'll get one of those standing boards for our stroller, rather than a double. DS will be 4 when this babe comes, and we hardly used our stroller at all with him anyway. It always seemed like more of a hassle to deal with the stroller than to just carry DS.

Also on the fence about a co-sleeper. DS sleeps in bed with us, and I don't anticipate him moving out anytime soon, so we'll have to make some more space somehow. We might just move his unused bed from his room into our room.

Other than that, we're probably set. I still have cloth diapers, gender neutral newborn clothes, a swing...inguess I'll need more nursing bras at some point, but even nursing I have tiny boobs and tend to just wear cotton bralettes.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#11 of 75 Old 07-28-2014, 07:33 AM

Dtavzvxvzvxvxvxbfbzxzncjgjfjdzvzvzcxxyhffhgncnxbcb vvcbhjhhxhcgvvvcvvvcgcvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv. V. Vb. vbvv. Vbvvvv. Vbvv Vbvv. Vbvv vbvv. V. Vvvvvvp
TeeThatsMe and Valerie11 like this.

#12 of 75 Old 07-28-2014, 07:33 AM

Dhp

#13 of 75 Old 07-28-2014, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckiest View Post
Dtavzvxvzvxvxvxbfbzxzncjgjfjdzvzvzcxxyhffhgncnxbcb vvcbhjhhxhcgvvvcvvvcgcvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv. V. Vb. vbvv. Vbvvvv. Vbvv Vbvv. Vbvv vbvv. V. Vvvvvvp
Quote:
Dhp
I don't know why, but this is totally cracking me up
gabeyho and TeeThatsMe like this.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#14 of 75 Old 07-28-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagnew View Post
I don't know why, but this is totally cracking me up
Ha, oops! DS got a hold of my phone apparently...!
#15 of 75 Old 07-28-2014, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

That is so a four year old! LOL
luckiest likes this.

#16 of 75 Old 07-28-2014, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagnew View Post
Another Ergo fan here I lost my Ergo this summer at the zoo, but I was able to get a like-new one from eBay for $60 (including shipping). You just have to be careful because there are a lot of imitators on eBay that look a lot like the real thing.

I need a new car seat. I bought one with the last baby... went for the cheapest Graco I could find that came with a double stroller. We HATED that car seat. I think I will be selling it at a consignment sale and just buying a new one. Our first car seat was a Graco and it was fine, so I am thinking it was just a cheap model. We'd like to get a Radian, but we'll have to save for it for awhile.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else. I have a hard time finding bras because I have a small band size but a big cup size. It's always a pain to get one. Bravado makes the one that looks like a sports bra (I think it's their original) and that one works well for home. I would like a good bra, however, that doesn't give me uni-boob and that holds me up. I wish stores sold some other brands besides Bravado and Medela. I see other brands online, but I don't like buying them online. Too much hassle if I have to return it.

Sarah: If you find any good source for maternity skirts (longer ones... like knee-length and below), lemme know. They can be hard to find. I am an exclusive skirt-wearer too, although I do a couple pairs of maternity jeans for practical purposes in case I need them.

Not maternity but wanted to share this skirt I just got. I LOVE IT! I told my husband it's the skirt equivalent of VS yoga pants. They have another AB studio one that's on clearance and I like it too but the band isn't as wide.

http://m.kohls.com/kohlsopenapi/productmobile.html?productID=1758211

I bought my SIL an infant seat for her baby and she is going to give it back when the baby comes. That's nice of her. I would never do without one.

There are TONS of Ergo like carriers. The TULA is really popular right now. The Becco is well loved my most. I would definitely get a used one. I got my Mei Tai and Boba I got used. The Baby Wearer forums and Diaperswapers are great places to look for used ones. I bought mine at half the original cost(plus shipping).

I hate my radian car seats for install difficulty and the weight of the darn thing... But it's nice to fold my third seat down for 3rd row access.

The scenera is a highly recommended seat and is great for the price.
Valerie11 likes this.
#17 of 75 Old 07-28-2014, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I need a new pregnancy pillow. Mine has been through four of mine, plus my friend borrowed it for one or two of hers. It is pretty useless at this point!

I need a pair of maternity jeans. I bought some Pea in the Pod skinny jeans on eBay with my fourth, and I got a great deal, but they ended up being smaller than what the tag said. :/ They fit well enough until the last few weeks, and then they were just painful. I started out this pg almost as heavy as I ended that one, and I don't think I could even get them over my butt now. :P

I want to buy a short woven wrap and a mei tai. I'll wear them, but my main objective is to have something DS1&2 can wear the baby in. DS1 wore DS3 a lot in my DIY MT, but the body is big and the arms are long, and it was huge on him, so there was a lot of folding and strap wrapping. DS3 was also a bit older at that point, and I know ds1 will want to wear this baby as a newborn.

Otherwise, I already have a few wovens and ring slings for myself. I'm trying to get DH to bw more, so I might borrow a friend's Tula to have him try it out. We have an Oh, Snap, but I don't care for it. He's the only one here who likes SSCs anyway, so he has to like it, not me.

I think that's all. We may actually be set on car seats. Ds3's bucket is only two years old, and by the time the baby outgrows it, DS1 may be out of his booster, and DS2 may be ready for it. If that doesn't happen, we will be buying a fourth Radian, but I'm not crossing that bridge until we get there. The bucket goes up to 30lbs and has a pretty high height limit; DS3 was a pretty big baby, but I think he was in it until around 12 mos.

Quote:

Quote:
Dhp

Quote:
Ha, oops! DS got a hold of my phone apparently...!

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#18 of 75 Old 07-28-2014, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Love my Ergo - though I could use a fancy newer one - it's 9 yrs old and WELL used! I prefer my homemade wraps for new babies though, don't really use the Ergo till 4 months when my babies hit 21+ pounds and my wraps start sagging! What I already have and can't recommend enough to all you mamas who will be having cold winters when our babies are born: babywearing coats!!! My sister got me one a couple years ago, I can't remember the brand, but I'm sure you've all seen it; it's the one where you can either wear it as a non-baby coat, or front OR back carry! It has a removable fake fur collar, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I couldn't even lend it back to my sister for her new baby because I was still constantly using it for my 15 month old (at the time). They are pricy, but she found it on zulily or something and got a great deal. Maybe they can be found on ebay? Can't imagine selling mine - I will just wear it till it falls off! The ONLY issue is I wish it had a detachable hood. Last winter was so cold, that a scarf and hat did not manage to quite do what a hood can do.

I do want to make some bamboo flats - never tried them before for a newborn, but got a bunch of yummy bamboo baby terry and thought I'd give them a whirl with a wool cover till the baby's thighs chunk up and my fave BGs start fitting. I could also use a new highchair (and learning tower - but that's not for baby!). Unless it turns out that this is a girl, I doubt I'll get much of anything else new. I *hope* to knit a couple cute things this winter - assuming I'm not moving, in which case I'll get nothing done towards baby! BUT, if it's a girl, I'll probably be inundated with pink stuff - between my sister and I (both girly-girls) we have 6 boys and no girls, so Grandma and Auntie will probably have a field day with both the handmades and the thrifting in pink and frou frou!

I will probably make some fresh new wool nursing pads too. I have always been really sensitive to wool, so never tried them, but before baby#3 I got some super soft organic wool, and figured I'd just whip a couple up to see. Best. thing. ever. They are so soft, so absorbant, never stiff in your bra like the cotton ones after you wash them, and I hardly ever even needed to rinse them out - they seriously are like self-cleaning.

Anyway, loving this thread! This baby is not getting much of our attention (I really keep thinking I'm just bloated and not really pregnant anyway) and I imagine I won't think of things I really could use without someone else mentioning it. Although, if there's anything I've learned after 3 kids, it's that I really don't need most of the baby stuff I thought I did. But's it's still nice to get new things!! And maybe trade out some of my acquired less-than-green baby things for more natural choices.
#19 of 75 Old 07-28-2014, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I've been window shopping the last few weeks. I don't plan to buy anything for a long time yet, but I have some things picked out.

Diapers:
Nicki's Prefolds (the great fit kind - same as Imagine) - Newborn, Small, and Medium sizes to start
Assunta Tiny and One Size covers, plus some wet bags from the same site
A couple Snappies

Baby Carrier:
Ring sling of some sort (either find a used Zolowear or maybe get a new SBP... I just want something cheap, as I'll only use it 6 months)
Thankfully, my Babyhawk Oh Snap SSC never sold, so I still have it (I didn't try real hard to sell it) - LOVE that carrier. Ergo doesn't fit me as well. I like a taller carrier.

Carseat:
I have a Radian, but for winter babies I like to have an infant seat that first little while. A friend has offered me hers, purchased in 2011. It's a Graco. I just need to see if it's front adjust or rear adjust, as she couldn't remember (you would think you'd remember something like that : ). I'm not sure she really understood what I was talking about. Anyway, if hers is rear adjust, I'll just get a front adjust cheap Graco Snugride 30 from Walmart. They were around $70 or $80, classic connect style (so they fit in the cheaper strollers). I've always been fine with cheap Graco Snugrides. But it MUST be front adjust. I'm not going to deal with the annoyance of a rear adjust carseat, and I can't believe they even make them that way. It's insane.

Stroller:
I rarely use a stroller, but when this baby is born, I'll have two kids on different hockey teams, occasionally playing in different cities, and they both still need help with some dressing. I'd rather have baby in a stroller if I'm needing to help a kid get hockey gear on. Hard to tie skates with a growth on your chest. I have a cheap, lightweight stroller picked out that will take the above mentioned Graco car seat. I've also been offered a Maclaren umbrella stroller, but that doesn't take a carseat, and I don't think it can handle a newborn, but we'll see. I could also pick up a carseat stroller at the consignment sale pretty easily, so that's another option. Consignment sale starts the day before I find out the gender!

Baby clothes:
I have ZERO, ZILCH, NADA. Nothing left. Gave it all away. So I'll hit the consignment sale on the way home from my u/s.

Crib:
(Co-sleeping did NOT work for me at all... Oh my goodness, I was in such pain trying that)
Friends have offered a crib. Yay! I also still have a pack-n-play in the closet, so I'll use that in my room for the first couple months. And there is usually about a 3 week period that I end up sleeping in the den in a recliner with baby on my chest. It's co-sleeping in bed that doesn't work well. Recliner goes ok, though my back is happy when I get back in my own bed and can sleep on either side (and toss and turn throughout the night).

Miscellaneous items:
Boppy pillow (I'm so sad I won't have the "big mama" version this time that a friend had made... my DH really liked using that one when napping with baby in the recliner... I might need to make one)
Nursing bras (I'll probably try the Bravado Sublime... looks similar to the Supreme I wore last time)
Dresser to use as a changing table (I do a lot of changes on the couch or bed, but a higher surface is easier on my back, and I need a dresser upstairs anyway... I have NO place to put baby clothes, and the boys are already running out of space in their drawers as they keep growing and requiring bigger clothes!)
Hand pump (really liked the Avent one last time... I rarely need to pump, but if I'm engorged from baby suddenly sleeping all night, it's very handy to be able to pump some off!)
A couple bouncy chairs (probably pick these up at the consignment sale... just a safe place to put baby down when I need to, where they aren't run over by dogs and children quite as easily!)
Diaper bag... Thinking about the Little Tripper from Land's End, but I don't know. I want something big enough to hold a couple cloth diapers, a change of baby clothes, a receiving blanket, and my wallet/phone/keys, plus a sippy cup holder on the outside. I just don't want something so big that you could take everything but the kitchen sink! I hate carrying a huge purse. My current purse is so tiny you can fit ONE disposable diaper in it. That was my "my kids are all out of diapers and I no longer need a diaper bag" purse. :

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#20 of 75 Old 07-28-2014, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Just bought a few really comfy skirts on sale from Gap Maternity. They don't have a huge selection but are worth checking out for you skirt wearing mamas.

Reading about all these carrier choices is overwhelming. I honestly don't know what I want or need for baby. I think I want to use an arms reach cosleeper but I'm still debating if that's the best option. I want to CD but the options there are also overwhelming! Pre-folds? All-in-one's? I have NO idea!
#21 of 75 Old 07-28-2014, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just bought the bravado body sleek. My bras were already getting so uncomfortable! This thing is the best! It is so comfortable, and pretty stretchy. I got mine with some room to grow, since I'm a crazy milk maker. My mom's dog ate my ergo many years ago, and she promised if I ever had another baby she'd get me a new one. I hope she stills remembers! That sounds really neat that they have a mesh one. I'm going to make my husband build one of those baby hammocks, and I want to get a nice sheepskin for the baby. I've got tons of old diapers to go through which have been passed around multiple kids/families. Otherwise I'm of the same mind as most of you mama's, don't really need/ have space/ want all that extra junk!

Stella, wild and gentle mama to Toby(12/14/04), Cedar(8/17/08), Luca (3/15/14), and one on the way!

#22 of 75 Old 07-28-2014, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie11 View Post
dentonmidwife, when I had the Ergo, I never tried wearing it on my back, because it was too much easier to put him on the front. Also, I looked on Consumer Reports to get our convertible car seats. They had two categories, the high priced and low priced, so I bought two Cosco Scenera seats for $40 each from Walmart (shipped to store) and although they aren't as big and padded as some other models, they got the best reviews on the low priced options on CR, and have worked for us just fine.

Here's the link: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-Scen...-Seat/16932760
Yes, someone else recommended that one to me as well. Honestly I just want to know how to care after 15 lbs. The Moby started hurting my back to soon.
#23 of 75 Old 07-29-2014, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren94 View Post
I want to CD but the options there are also overwhelming! Pre-folds? All-in-one's? I have NO idea!
Get a little bit of everything to try in the beginning. Don't buy a whole stash of just one thing, because you're guaranteed to like something else better. Prefolds and flats are cheapest, and you can reuse covers if they don't get pooped on. AIOs are harder to clean. Pockets can be finicky if you start to have laundry issues, but they're easy to use and easier to clean than AIOs - the painful part is stuffing them out of the dryer. AI2s would have less laundry issues and be easy to clean. Fitteds with covers are great for those early days of leaky poo (elastic in the diaper keeps poo off your cover). If you sew at all, diapers are fun to make. I plan to make some fitteds (last time, I had nice bamboo velour fitteds - oh so soft and squishy... this time it will probably just be cotton interlock and flannel soakers because that's what I still have in my sewing room). I'll buy covers, since Assunta covers are only $5 each, and they have double gussets and are multi-sized (sales go to help orphaned special needs children).

Prefolds are good to have even if you end up not liking them as diapers. They make the BEST burp cloths!!! I had heavy spitter uppers, and I kept a Premium sized prefold on my shoulder at all times, and had several stashed around the house. Spitup never got past those things, but it would get through those thin "burp cloths" sold in baby stores. (By baby #3 , I finally realized I had an oversupply, which was contributing to all my kids' reflux!)

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#24 of 75 Old 07-29-2014, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

For cloth diapers, I did the shells with inserts last time and the covers always always got something on them, every time. So I this time I plan to get the all in ones.

#25 of 75 Old 07-29-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren94 View Post
Reading about all these carrier choices is overwhelming. I honestly don't know what I want or need for baby. I think I want to use an arms reach cosleeper but I'm still debating if that's the best option. I want to CD but the options there are also overwhelming! Pre-folds? All-in-one's? I have NO idea!
I remember being super overwhelmed with CD and carrier choices as well. There are SO many options - even if you decide what kind/type you want, then there are a million brands to choose from!

There are several online shops that do CD trials where they send you several types to try out. Even if you don't have baby yet, it's nice to be able to touch them, see how they work, feel the fabric. I used prefolds and covers right at the beginning, then bought a big lot of FuzziBunz (pockets, size adjustable) from eBay.

In my town there's a baby wearing group that has a lending library for moms to test out different carriers. You can also buy secondhand from places like thebabywearer.com. I collected several different carriers and used them all in different stages - the k'tan for newborn days (it's like a pre-tied Moby) up to 5 or 6 months, then a mei tai, then an Ergo for toddler carrying. A ring sling on occasion, although I didn't really like it. I'd like to try a woven wrap this time.

This is the most comprehensive baby wearing guide I've come across, it includes descriptions of brands as well for each type:

http://www.becomingmamas.com/babywearing/

#26 of 75 Old 07-29-2014, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Thank you for those suggestions and resources! I have a lot of research to do!
#27 of 75 Old 07-29-2014, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I love love love my Ergo. I tried slings and wraps but the Ergo won out for me and I actually used it in all three positions. DD1 liked being carried for longer-- about 18 months. I only use it for outings and marathon cooking sessions for DD2.

I lost all my maternity clothes in our last move. I wear mostly skirts or dresses and I'm hoping to make the most use I can of my current wardrobe. I also fluctuate between two sizes depending on what stage I'm at in the weaning process, so my larger clothes are fitting well for now and I'll use a Bella Band soon.

I am so displeased with my current cloth diapers. We upgraded to BumGenius 4.0 for DD2, and they made some changes. I don't like them nearly as much as the 3.0. So, I have to buy another set. Ugh-- so much money. Any Fuzzibuns users? I keep hearing good things. I may sell my BG for really really cheap-- they are in great condition but just need the elastic replaced which I don't have time for.

I think for baby #3 I'll need a swing or boucner or some place to safely park them while I'm attending to the other 2. I have no idea when it comes to those types of things. I refuse to set foot in a Babies R Us-- they totally stress me out for some reason.
#28 of 75 Old 07-29-2014, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeThatsMe View Post
I am super, super coveting an Ergo as well. We have several wraps (I actually just splurged on a new one with the logo of my husband's favorite baseball team on it, just because--seriously?! I can't even believe they actually manufacture that, too hilarious, and I know he will LOVE it; his birthday is a few weeks before Baby's due date, so I'm excited to give it to him then) and a mei tai that's gotten plenty of use over the two older ones' infancies; but IIIIIII waaaaaaant that Ergo. My coworkers are apparently super baby-shower-happy, so maybe I'll nudge them in that direction if they show any interest in doing a group gift.

We're also going to need a pack and play of some sort, and I have amused myself some by looking around for a super-fancy one. But it's not like the Ergo where I'm pretty sure if we don't receive one, I'm going to just up and buy one anyway.
I've made a plug for the Baby Bjorn crib on another thread, but I'll do it again. After DD2 outgrew the co-sleeper, we used the BB as her crib in the guest room until she slept through the night reliably and could sleep in her "real" crib in her sister's room. We got a solid year of use from that crib and we still use it for travel.
#29 of 75 Old 07-29-2014, 10:34 AM

We used FuzziBunz almost exclusively. It's been about three years though, not sure what changes they may have made. What I loved about them was that their one-size is adjustable through button-hole elastic in the legs and waist, not with fold-down snaps which always made the diapers seem SO bulky. I thought this time I might add in some Blueberry (I think they might have changed the brand name...) pockets bc one side of the insert is sewn to the diaper - it agitates out on its own in the wash so you don't have to pull/shake it out, and then it stays connected for easy re-stuffing. I also want to try some fitteds; I've heard amazing things about Sustainable Babyish, especially for overnight.

#30 of 75 Old 07-29-2014, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

I got the Bravado Body Sleek bra today at a place in town that carries them and helps you get fitted. I LOVE it. SOOO comfortable. My breasts are still a little sore, but not as sore as they had been so I think the growing is slowing down, and I know how they are when they are full of milk, so I chose one that looks a tiny bit loose right now but could hold more. I'm so happy with it! I also tried on the original, but it was nowhere near as comfortable.

Also, for any cloth diaper users who got the kind with velcro instead of snaps, did you find that it stopped latching at any point or did it work over and over forever?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page