2Likes
  • 2 Post By entiti

#1 of 12 Old 07-31-2014, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Exercise!

I am totally stealing the idea from this thread from a mama in the March ddc

After sitting on my butt through my last two pregnancies (for the most part), and being overweight most of my life, I am enjoying the best health of my life in my 30s....and I want to continue on that way right through baby number 3!
I'm an avid cyclist, and although I've never been physically active during my pregnancies, I'm determined to this time....and wondering if any one else is too?!

I feel so much better during the whole day when I motivate myself to get out and ride, or at least do some yoga, run around, etc.
If not, I succumb to gravity for the.whole.day. Ick.

Maybe we can help motivate each other! Anyone else interested in an active pregnancy, or have experience/stories to tell?
gabeyho and TeeThatsMe like this.

Mama to oneone, and a brand new!
#2 of 12 Old 07-31-2014, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Every time I am in a period of inactivity and suddenly want to get into shape, I find out a couple weeks later that I'm pregnant. With the last baby I bought a treadmill and with this one we signed up for the YMCA for the summer, literally an hour before I decided to take a pregnancy test. Also, I never drink alcohol, but I crave it before I know I'm pregnant.

I would like to get into shape again. After the last baby I was doing very well until I went to work full time. I was exercising every day, but I plan to take it a little easier during pregnancy. Maybe get on the treadmill with an incline starting in the second trimester.

Three kids and one on the way.
#3 of 12 Old 07-31-2014, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I have gotten back into walking over the past two weeks, as the nausea and fatigue have subsided. It's nothing huge--a brisk mile or two, three days a week--but I do like doing it. I go fast enough to break a sweat, and figure that's good enough for now. I'm allowed to exercise during work hours for a total of three hours per week, so I've been trying to show up to work in gym clothes--then I really have no excuse to avoid it! Plus, goofy bonus: using a few minutes to shower after the exercise means that I don't have to bother with a shower at home, so that's an extra ten minutes of sleep some mornings. Woo hoo!

#4 of 12 Old 08-01-2014, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
With my fourth I kept up my strength training through most of the pregnancy. I looked and felt great, birth was super easy, and I was walking around and felt great in my clothes a couple hours after. I want that again. It's so much better than the alternative, and I am really freaked out about not staying active and having a much harder recovery. PP is so much better when you we're fit and active during pregnancy. I haven't gotten to maintain my routine in July since e we're moving and traveling, but now that all that is over I'm back to it after this weekend. I follow fitness blender on YouTube and their workouts are free and they have all kinds. I bought their workout plan months ago and have been following it, it was abut ten bucks, and it's really great.

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#5 of 12 Old 08-01-2014, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I continued my 5 days/week weight training throughout my first pregnancy. I did nothing with number 2 and managed to gain about 10 fewer pounds. This time, I had been working out with kettle bells for past 1.5 years or so, but put them down a few weeks ago due to fatigue. I plan to pick them back up in the second trimester. They provide a good cardio as well as strength work out. Plus my honey bought me an elliptical machine for Christmas when I though I might have been pregnant in December. I'll be using that as well.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#6 of 12 Old 08-01-2014, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I was doing really well and going swimming almost every day, but lately I have kind of dropped the ball.
#7 of 12 Old 08-01-2014, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

I totally agree Gabey. Even though I didn't gain alot my last pregnancy due to a clean up in my diet, and I looked okay afterward, recovery was really tough for me. The after pains seemed to last a long time, and it was hard for me to get down and play with my daughter for weeks. I think it was because I was just really not very active. I look at some women's blogs who (even in their mid 40s when conceiving) are up and grooving within days after baby is born, and although I do think clean eating fits in, I believe it's more keeping everything toned up so your not taking such a huge hit in your core after the big event.

Great for you mamas taking care of yourselves! A mile or two on foot IS a wonderful thing, Tee And I totally know what you mean Valerie...I feel that way about sleep!

#8 of 12 Old 08-01-2014, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Thanks for starting this thread. I need exercise at least 4 days a week for my mental health. I was VERY active before children, running and swimming competitvely. I ran and swam through the entire first pregnancy and was recovered within weeks. Fitness became more irregular, but I was running 4 miles a day when I was pg with DD2. I developed SPD and was limited to Zumba by 15 weeks or so. I lost the weight from DD2 very quickly due to stress, but the recovery was very slow and I attribute that to my decline in fitness level.

This PG I am really focusing on strong buns and a very strong core. I'm not as fit as I'd like to be, but I am determined to do what I can. I learned so much about how muscle weakness and imbalance can impact your pelvic floor. I do lots of squats and plies. Anything in a turned out position really helps. I have to get creative because my pelvis doesn't allow walking as a form of exercise. Ideally I can get in the pool a few days a week, but I am seriously seriously ashamed of my leg veins.
#9 of 12 Old 08-03-2014, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

I am focused on my core too this pregnancy, although it feels weird because....well, there's a baby in that general area!
I've never had strengthened core muscles, and I feel after having kids my abdominal muscles just haven't been able to do a good job at holding all of my internal organs in place and this has had an effect on my whole posture in general.
But of course just as I was taking that note, and starting to do some more intensive vinyasa yoga....I was pregnant! lol...
I've definitely slowed it down some, but I've noticed just doing really focused upper body stretching does me some good in that general area, so I've been doing that for now, and only heavier yoga sessions a couple of times a week.

I hear you about activity and mental health!

#10 of 12 Old 08-03-2014, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I normally work out (HIIT cardio and weights) 4-5 days a week non-pregnant. Between spotting and feeling crappy I am down to 2 days a week of lifting with very little cardio. I'm hoping to be able to get back into a normal routine once the big kids go back to school and I am through the nausea. Though I am happy I've maintained 2 full hours a week of good workout, it still sucks because my muscles are wasting away.
#11 of 12 Old 08-03-2014, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah! Two days a week of lifting is awesome! I think generally ANY activity during the first trimester is great.

#12 of 12 Old 08-04-2014, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
I got out and mowed the lawn and trimmed on Sunday morning before it got too hot. I was out for almost 2 hours. I was definitely dragging by the end, but there was a breeze and I was able to listen to music the whole time, so that kept me going. It was a nice way to exercise that actually accomplished something.

Three kids and one on the way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page