2Likes
  • 1 Post By mamarhu
  • 1 Post By luckiest

#1 of 18 Old 08-04-2014, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Constipation

Sorry for the title, but I figured, hey, why not? I have been constipated, I guess, since I can go about 3 days without any movement. But I realized that when I use the epsom salts to get my magnesium, the next day things are moving again. I just wanted to let everyone know. My doula tells me never to use Miralax. Ever. So doing this instead is working for me so far.

I don't think it's true constipation, though, because when things do get going, it's a normal consistency, not hard. SORRY FOR THE TMI!!! I think things are just slow going and the magnesium helps speed them up a bit.

But, word of caution, if I have eaten anything before a bath with the epsom salts, it wants to come up afterward. Usually, even if I have a full stomach, only a little of it comes up and I'm good, but I still get that sick nauseous feeling for about an hour after the bath.

Three kids and one on the way.
#2 of 18 Old 08-04-2014, 07:01 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
A bath with Epsom Salts helps constipation? Sort of inside out, or outside in, or something

I confess, I opened this post because of the title - vary rare but current issue for me.
Valerie11 likes this.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#3 of 18 Old 08-04-2014, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I suffer from bad constipation off and on through pregnancy. It's not occurring right now but I know it won't be long. When it gets really bad for me I just go ahead and do an enema. I've also had senna tea (smooth move) but I've never figured out if that was totally safe during pregnancy.

I love baths but they do make me nauseous right now

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#4 of 18 Old 08-05-2014, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I swear by NaturalCalm, a magnesium supplement. It gets, and keeps, things moving, plus it helps tremendously with insommnia and leg cramps. My kids benefit from Epsom salt baths and I know magnesium is best absorbed by the skin, but I just don't want to take the time to soak for half an hour every day (until I'm in my thrid trimester--then I don't want to get out).
#5 of 18 Old 08-06-2014, 01:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Like Duchess, I probably won't start Epsom salt baths until the third tri, but I take NaturalCalm. I used to take Tropical Oasis liquid cal mag, and was happy with it, but they started adding preservatives. Constipation is almost never a problem for me during pg, and I think magnesium is definitely the reason!

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#6 of 18 Old 08-06-2014, 05:39 AM

What kind/flavor of NaturalCalm do you recommend? Liquid? Pill? I'm definitely planning on ordering some, but I have no idea which one to get.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#7 of 18 Old 08-06-2014, 06:05 AM

I use the Raspberry Lemon powder. I hate it because it is too sweet for me, but my kids love it. They get 1/4 teaspoon before bed.
#8 of 18 Old 08-06-2014, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I find the magnesium to be realy helpful as well since it's best absorbed by the skin I use a magnesium oil spray and just spray it on my abdomen before I go to bed. They say it's supposed to help a lot with morning sickness, too, but I have never had it so I couldn't say, and you should have your magnesium stores built up in your body to prevent nausea before getting pregnant. Anywho, it's great for the digestive stuff either way!

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#9 of 18 Old 08-08-2014, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I have a question. I don't know if anyone would know the answer but I'll throw it out there anyway. I am wicked constipated almost all the time. I take stool softeners daily and Natural calm Mag daily and probiotics but sometimes not even all that gets me moving much. Maybe just a little every day but it isn't a nice consistency.

The only way things loosen up more is if I increase the dose of Mag. So I was wondering if I take a regular dose of mag and also do a soak bath with salts would that help? Or would that be way too much mag for my body? I don't have a problem with loose stools EVER so I'm not really worried about that. Any thoughts?

Wife to my Sweetness and Light, DH (03), WAHM to DS('01), DS('11), and DS('13). Encouraging mothers everywhere to write for their lives. Expecting our fourth and final baby( It's a GIRL!!!) in January 2015.
#10 of 18 Old 08-08-2014, 05:49 PM

Writermama, I am in the same boat. Pregnancy makes it so awful for me, but it is even an issue when I am not. Soaking will absolutely help. The other thing about magnesium-- you have to consume EXTRA water. So you need to hit your water quota daily, plus a glass for every teaspoon. That is not a hard-and-fast rule, but I've heard this recommendation from friends that are nutritional therapists. If I am even SLIGHTLY dehydrated, I'm settig myself up for failure. Good luck.

P.S. Sometimes milk of magnesia can bust open a tough case, and a regular routine of internal/external mag plus probiotics will keep things going. I don't mean any of this in an advice-y way-- it is what helps me.

Cagnew-- I've never tried an enema. My sister swears they were the only thing that brought relief during her pregnancy.
#11 of 18 Old 08-08-2014, 06:19 PM

I had no idea about the Epson salts being absorbed like that! Now that I am starting to be less nauseous, I will have to try it. I love baths, especially if I have a good book to read

I only use enema's in really, really cases because I worry about dependency. I don't even know if that's an issue, but my mom was always super paranoid about any kind of laxative and hammered it into my head not to use/do stuff. Except Miralax, oddly enough- she thinks it's a great drug because it's "non-habit forming." I hate Miralax. Something about it totally creeps me out and I refuse to use it. I have no idea why.

#12 of 18 Old 08-08-2014, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Just throwing this out there - I, and MANY people I've spoken to (either themselves or their kids) experienced chronic constipation from wheat. It can still be an issue for me if I eat too much of any grain.

Also - the squatty potty is a godsend. Whether you buy one or rig your own, squatting while going is a MUST for anyone experiencing constipation.

Mag has been covered, staying hydrated is a big one (half your body weight in ounces (up to 100oz), plus some extra for any diuretics like coffee, tea, soda). Pinch of sea salt in every cup of water (not enough to taste salty, just a teeny bit).

Epsom salt soaks can help, but a fun fact if you're using Epsom salt soaks as a mag supplement - mag sulfate is excreted through urine really quickly, it doesn't stick around very long. Mag chloride (like ancient minerals magnesium flakes) is better assimilated by the body. It's what mag sprays use and is better suited for use as an actual supplement. Epsom salts won't hurt certainly, but aren't ideal for actually helping mag levels.
Valerie11 likes this.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#13 of 18 Old 08-08-2014, 08:43 PM

Constipation

My mw recommends 750mg/day of mag, which is more than the dosage recommended by Natural Calm (I think their dose is a little less than half of that).

ETA: that's in combination with 1500mg calcium.

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.

Last edited by Rikki Jean; 08-09-2014 at 01:18 PM. Reason: corrected dosage
#14 of 18 Old 08-09-2014, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Wow, you all are a ton of help!! I do my best NOT to eat any wheat/ gluten containing products, and generally not to eat grains as is causes painful inflammation in my gut and makes everything worse, as well as my ADD which is nonexistent when I don't eat grains and sugar. I do use a stool under my feet (the height of a squatty potty but cheaper).

I do not keep track of water consumption and I don't think I ever drink as much as is recommended, so I will do that first thing!!

I've always thought about enemas but I've never bought the equipment so I can't when I need to do it. I should probably buy the kit to be prepared.

Rikki Jean, wow that is a lot of Mag. Holy cow. I take probably 400 mg in powder form, but I don't measure it exactly so I'm not positive of the dose. It is good to know that taking a little extra is probably safe.

Wife to my Sweetness and Light, DH (03), WAHM to DS('01), DS('11), and DS('13). Encouraging mothers everywhere to write for their lives. Expecting our fourth and final baby( It's a GIRL!!!) in January 2015.
#15 of 18 Old 08-09-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writermama12 View Post
Wow, you all are a ton of help!! I do my best NOT to eat any wheat/ gluten containing products, and generally not to eat grains as is causes painful inflammation in my gut and makes everything worse, as well as my ADD which is nonexistent when I don't eat grains and sugar. I do use a stool under my feet (the height of a squatty potty but cheaper).

I do not keep track of water consumption and I don't think I ever drink as much as is recommended, so I will do that first thing!!

I've always thought about enemas but I've never bought the equipment so I can't when I need to do it. I should probably buy the kit to be prepared.

Rikki Jean, wow that is a lot of Mag. Holy cow. I take probably 400 mg in powder form, but I don't measure it exactly so I'm not positive of the dose. It is good to know that taking a little extra is probably safe.

Ack! I can't read! It is the opposite of what I said above, and should be 1500mg CALCIUM, and 750mg magnesium. Doh! I knew that sounded weird when I typed it.

I've only been taking about 350 and have been slowly increasing it, but I was kind of intimidated when I wrote those numbers last night. Whoops.

I'm going to go change my previous reply.

#16 of 18 Old 08-09-2014, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagnew View Post
I only use enema's in really, really cases because I worry about dependency.
You just reminded me that the only enema I ever used so far was right after the birth of my last baby. It was within the week after birth and I knew I was constipated to the point that it would really hurt when and if it ever passed, so I tried one for the first time. It did work and I will do one again if it ever gets that bad.

#17 of 18 Old 08-10-2014, 11:51 AM

Oh lord. I did an enema about a week after birth last time too, not realizing I had an anal fissure. Whew! That hurt like a you-know-what. Took along time for that sucker to heal! I won't let myself get as backed up this time because I don't want a repeat of that! I know pain meds are very constipating, and I took those off and on for about a week after the birth to help with the extreme pain I was having with breastfeeding (oh please, let the baby's mouth be normal this time!!!!). I won't do that this time though. I know I am odd in that I am all about birthing med-free, but I take the meds AFTER birth because I don't want to deal with the after-pains. So, this time I will still take the meds, but only for a day or a day and a half. That should keep my constipation issues from being so bad this time.

#18 of 18 Old 08-10-2014, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

I know, I've been worried about pain meds after birth this time, as well. Whether to take ibuprofen or the acetaminophen with coedine, or which one is the least harmful. I have some reading to do.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page