Crafting for Baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

#1 of 46 Old 08-04-2014, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Crafting for Baby

Is anyone else knitting, crocheting, sewing, etc for their pending little ones yet?

I've already gone a little soaker/longie crazy. I think I'd knit five pairs before I had my official positive! I've crochet a blanket, too, and I picked up some fabric to attempt sewing some ring slings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 46 Old 08-04-2014, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I only sew but I would like to make something after we know gender. Come on sept!
#3 of 46 Old 08-04-2014, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
I craft so painfully slowly that I know better than to attempt a project "for when the baby is born." I did knit a blanket for a friend's baby shower last year, and it was a miracle that it got done on time! I'm currently doing a cross-stitch alphabet sampler for each child with name and birth date featured, starting with my daughter and then likely working through my son before getting to the baby. At the rate I'm going, I should be done with all three by the time Baby turns two.

#4 of 46 Old 08-04-2014, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I'm working on knitting an owlie sweater for babe right now. I have a sleep sack on the list and would like to do some soakers too. I'm just trying to use up all my stash yarn so I can justify buying some sweet lush yarn just for baby. I have tons of things pinned to sew on my pinterest, but I'm not much of a seamstress.

Stella, wild and gentle mama to Toby(12/14/04), Cedar(8/17/08), Luca (3/15/14), and one on the way!

#5 of 46 Old 08-04-2014, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
All the knitting. Knit all the cute things! After I finish with the cute things I'm knitting for my friends new baby.

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#6 of 46 Old 08-05-2014, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I haven't started yet with being too sick and tired. I do want to knit/crochet some soakers for sure. Maybe some other stuff too.
#7 of 46 Old 08-05-2014, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I am planning to knit a blanket and a few hats. DS's blanket took me two years to finish, so I'm not really setting a deadline. This is what I want to make:

Both are from the Purl Bee site, free patterns.
gabeyho, mama2toby and TeeThatsMe like this.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#8 of 46 Old 08-05-2014, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckiest View Post
I am planning to knit a blanket and a few hats. DS's blanket took me two years to finish, so I'm not really setting a deadline. This is what I want to make:

I've knit that blanket! Once you've done a few rows, the pattern has a really nice rhythm to it.
#9 of 46 Old 08-05-2014, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Luckiest, that blanket is gorgeous!!

I am thinking of a craft for little baby right now. For DD2, I cut out nearly 100 horses from cardboard boxes and hand painted them. I even gave them names. My girlfriends came over every Friday and we would cut, glue, paint, and gab. My husband was deployed and it was such an awesome bonding/preparing experience. DD2's name starts with the letter "H," so it was so nice to spend a few hours a week making Horses for H. Ann Wood Handmade has the template. I shamelessly stole her idea and I'm so happy. The horses are galloping through the bedroom across from her bed(though in our last house they galloped down the hall, towards her bedroom).

I need some inspiration!
honeybunmom and TeeThatsMe like this.
#10 of 46 Old 08-05-2014, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I am planning on knitting for baby. I have a huge stash of boy soakers and longies knit for my March baby. Although I could use those again, I will still knit, especially if this one is a girl as I have lots of single and dual skeins of girly yarn left from my now 8 year old. I have started both a garter stitch sweater and a blanket for the baby.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#11 of 46 Old 08-05-2014, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Luckiest, that hat pattern is on my ravelry list for next project. I can't wait to make it. Super cute and probably quick.

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#12 of 46 Old 08-06-2014, 01:57 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I would like to knit or sew something, but I likely won't start until at least December. I'm a procrastinator! I knitted a hat and cocoon for Ds3, and I didn't finish it until the night before he was born...and he was born at 41w4d.
jodieanneanton likes this.

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#13 of 46 Old 08-06-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Jean View Post
I would like to knit or sew something, but I likely won't start until at least December. I'm a procrastinator! I knitted a hat and cocoon for Ds3, and I didn't finish it until the night before he was born...and he was born at 41w4d.
Oh, yes, a cocoon! I plan to knit that, too.

#14 of 46 Old 08-07-2014, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
What do you gals use for soaker patterns? I have the vanilla pattern, but it looks a little complicated. It's so nicely fitted though. I'll prob dive into that one, but an easy backup would be good.

Stella, wild and gentle mama to Toby(12/14/04), Cedar(8/17/08), Luca (3/15/14), and one on the way!

#15 of 46 Old 08-07-2014, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2toby View Post
What do you gals use for soaker patterns? I have the vanilla pattern, but it looks a little complicated. It's so nicely fitted though. I'll prob dive into that one, but an easy backup would be good.
I've knot a LOT of Vanillas. The provisional cast on is the trickiest part, I'd say. Curly Purly is really popular and not too tricky, but I hate doing all that ribbing. I've been using a pattern called Granola Pants to knit shorties from, and I really like those.
chiromommy likes this.
#16 of 46 Old 08-08-2014, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I want to knit some longies and hats. Haven't bought yarn for either, but I have a gift certificate to my LYS that I need to use. I've kind of stalled on a pair of socks for me that have been taking forever (I have large feet, and the socks have a pattern on the instep). It will be nice to sew something different with normal sized yarn.

I will likely sew some fitted diapers, but not as much as I did for the last couple babies (I sewed my entire stash just about, but this time I'm not in the mood).

If it's a girl, I will get my Ottobre magazines out and happily go crazy sewing clothes. That has to wait until after September 30 though (u/s date).

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#17 of 46 Old 08-09-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:

I like the look of these hats. Now I want to make one.

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#18 of 46 Old 08-09-2014, 01:11 PM

Luckiest, I looked at the Purl Bee site, and now I want to knit everything. Thanks a lot.

#19 of 46 Old 08-09-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Luckiest, I looked at the Purl Bee site, and now I want to knit everything. Thanks a lot.
Me too, Rikki! @luckiest , I'm sending you my yarn receipts and expecting full compensation for what you're "making" me do. This is all your fault.

@murrelet and @BirchTree , do either of you craft at all? Well, even if you don't, check out this blanket and tell me it is not SO CUTE. Do we have any other Canadians in our group? I can't remember. Not sure if that particular design would mean a whole lot to non-Canadians (or Canadian wannabes like me, who went to university there and then tragically had to come home to the US).

#20 of 46 Old 08-09-2014, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeThatsMe View Post
Me too, Rikki! @luckiest , I'm sending you my yarn receipts and expecting full compensation for what you're "making" me do. This is all your fault.

I know, I've mentally spent hundreds of dollars on fancy yarn. The good news for a blanket is that gauge doesn't really matter and substitutions are easy. But other than that I'm not nearly experienced enough to confidently substitute, and their recommended yarns are $$$$$

I'm trying to tell myself I don't need to make that adorable little octopus.
TeeThatsMe likes this.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#21 of 46 Old 08-11-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2toby View Post
I mostly knit sleep sacks for my newborn boy last time around and just 2 Warm Hearted Woolie soakers. Not even sure that pattern is still on the web. Maybe on ravelry. I liked the Snapdragon soaker for chunky thighs. Which he quickly developed. Only knit one of those, he was a late March baby and so I knit mostly shorties for the summer. By that point I had knit a lot of longies and shorties, so, I kinda did my own thing. I used to use the Wooly Wonder pattern. Can't remember what else. I know I don't like Magic Loop, though, so, I did not follow that part of the pattern.

#22 of 46 Old 08-11-2014, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunmom View Post
I mostly knit sleep sacks for my newborn boy last time around and just 2 Warm Hearted Woolie soakers. Not even sure that pattern is still on the web. Maybe on ravelry. I liked the Snapdragon soaker for chunky thighs. Which he quickly developed. Only knit one of those, he was a late March baby and so I knit mostly shorties for the summer. By that point I had knit a lot of longies and shorties, so, I kinda did my own thing. I used to use the Wooly Wonder pattern. Can't remember what else. I know I don't like Magic Loop, though, so, I did not follow that part of the pattern.
hat sleep sack pattern do you like best?

(Sorry the double-u key on my keyboard is stuck!)

Breastfeeding, cosleeping, homebirthing scientist mama to DD1 07/08, DD2 06/10 and a third on the way 02/15!

#23 of 46 Old 08-11-2014, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeThatsMe View Post

@murrelet and @BirchTree , do either of you craft at all? Well, even if you don't, check out this blanket and tell me it is not SO CUTE. Do we have any other Canadians in our group? I can't remember. Not sure if that particular design would mean a whole lot to non-Canadians (or Canadian wannabes like me, who went to university there and then tragically had to come home to the US).
Beautiful! And nicely gender-neutral too. I might have to make one of these.
TeeThatsMe likes this.

Breastfeeding, cosleeping, homebirthing scientist mama to DD1 07/08, DD2 06/10 and a third on the way 02/15!

#24 of 46 Old 08-11-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I know, I've mentally spent hundreds of dollars on fancy yarn. The good news for a blanket is that gauge doesn't really matter and substitutions are easy. But other than that I'm not nearly experienced enough to confidently substitute, and their recommended yarns are $$$$$

I'm trying to tell myself I don't need to make that adorable little octopus.

I want to make one of their blankets, and I about died when I clicked through to the yarn kit for that particular pattern. Yes, I'm sure my baby needs a $166 blanket!

#25 of 46 Old 08-11-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrelet View Post
hat sleep sack pattern do you like best?

(Sorry the double-u key on my keyboard is stuck!)
I was very happy with the Sheepy Sack pattern and the Simple Baby Cap I from Itty Bitty Hats.

#26 of 46 Old 08-11-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I want to make one of their blankets, and I about died when I clicked through to the yarn kit for that particular pattern. Yes, I'm sure my baby needs a $166 blanket!
RIGHT?! I am a Knit Picks girl, myself, and frankly even that feels extravagant to me. I am thinking about splurging on some cream-colored organic cotton and dyeing some of it at home for the stripey parts on the Hudson's Bay blanket. Should cost in the neighborhood of thirty bucks, and already that seems like a luxury.

#27 of 46 Old 08-11-2014, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
I am a big sewer and crocheter... Can't bring myself to say hooker! lol.

I plan on making this dress because I think it is a girl... but what if it is not?! lol. I love it, though. And since it is so small, I will likely go ahead and make it anyway! Maybe gift to someone special if I end up with a boy!

I sew easter, christmas and halloween outfits for all of my kids, christmas pajamas, too. So I will be busy with a lot of non baby stuff through December. But maybe when the new year hits, I will have to find some other, more gender neutral patterns!

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#28 of 46 Old 09-18-2014, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
OK, I'm bumping this thread up. Now that we're getting close to (or are) at the half-way point, how are the crafting plans going? I'm totally stuck-- I can't think of anything and I like to be inspired before I delve into something. I'm not very sentimental, so I really need inspiration, otherwise it is a promise a few years down the line I'll think it is just more crap to sort, put away, throw away, pack away, etc.....

Baby boy will have his "nursery" in the guest room, and I usually like to decorate with hand-made things as my baby craft. Hmm... Still thinking..... I may have to wander into an Anthropologie to get my creative juices flowing....
jodieanneanton likes this.
#29 of 46 Old 09-18-2014, 11:28 AM

The yarn for that cute Canadian-inspired blanket is in my online shopping cart, and... Yeah, that's as far as I've gotten. I have gotten through three entire letters of my daughter's cross-stitch alphabet, though! At this rate, I'll be done with hers, big brother's, and baby sibling's by the time Baby is... um. Ten?! Sheesh. You're not the only one looking for a little more inspiration to get going!

#30 of 46 Old 09-18-2014, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
I'm not nearly as crafty as most of you seem to be. I can barely knit a scarf and I can only do basic sewing. But I have some crafty plans to "make" cute onesies for the baby. Boy clothes all seem to be sports or animal themed and I'm not a big fan of a lot of baby boy clothes so I'm going to figure out how to make some cute onesie prints that are colorful and geometric. Maybe I can screen print them or something. And once we have a nursery (hopefully by next fall) I want to thrift an old crib and paint it a pretty Chinese red. I'm so excited about that.

Oh I know what I'll do! I'll make potato stamps and stamp cute designs on some plain onesies.

Last edited by bren94; 09-18-2014 at 11:59 AM.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page