• 2 Post By luckiest
  • 1 Post By sarahknavy
  • 2 Post By jodieanneanton

#1 of 11 Old 08-05-2014, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Naive sex questions...

I'm sure I'm not the only one with naive sex questions...
Please don't laugh!

About breaking the waters, mostly for later in the pregnancy... Can his man tool or his fingers inadvertently break the waters? Docs break waters all the time... with their fingers or with a tool?

Colostrum: I'm concerned that he'll suck all the colostrum out before the baby has a chance to enjoy. Again, obviously for later in the pregnancy, but is this possible? Or do I not have my first let down until after the baby is born?

There may be more silly questions like this as the months progress... and feel free to chime in with your own silly questions so that I don't feel so alone in my naivety!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 08-05-2014, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I'm not an expert, but yes, you can accidentally break the waters during sex. I did with my first and he was born 1 week early. However, they didn't date as closely back then, so maybe he was on time. With the second, nothing I did could bring on labor or break the waters, so my experience is that it will happen if they are ready to rupture.

And, I'm not sure about the colostrum, but my guess is that just like breast milk, if it is depleted, then the body makes more.

Three kids and one on the way.
#3 of 11 Old 08-05-2014, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I agree on both accounts. I wouldn't be too worried about sex though. I would guess its possible but unlikely.

You body makes colostrum until the baby is born and the birth triggers hormones that will switch to milk. I have heard of ladies pumping colostrum to keep in the freezer for later.
#4 of 11 Old 08-05-2014, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Ask away! That's how you learn

I agree possible, but not likely. With my first my OB did brake my water after my labor has started {without asking} and she used a tool. I've read that only 15% of women's water will break before labor. Also just tossing this in there, if you feel like it sex is one of the best things you can do, keeps you happy and keeps things toned down there.

As for question #2 . You will produce colostrum for about 3 days after you give birth. So no.

Jocelyn caffix.gif, totally in love with my hubby and best friend! nak.gifSAH Mama to one smiley baby girl 10/11/13 Artist/Writer/Farm Manager  familybed1.gif  saynovax.gif
#5 of 11 Old 08-05-2014, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Naive sex questions...

The tool used by a doctor or midwife to rupture membranes is like a crochet hook. IMO, man would have to be pretty aggressive to achieve the same during sex or foreplay. A doctor or midwife will sometimes do a membrane sweep, which is just done with fingers, but it is something they are intentionally and specifically doing. I would be shocked if foreplay could cause a membrane sweep.

If it does cause your water to break, I would think you are ready to go anyway. Any "natural" method of induction (and maybe unnatural ones as well) is really only effective if your body is ready to have the baby, and just needs some extra encouragement. The reason that sex is recommended for moving things along is hormonal; you release oxytocin, and semen contains prostaglandins, which ripen the cervix.

I wouldn't worry about colostrum. Lots of women leak colostrum during pregnancy, which isn't saved. You will produce colostrum for anywhere from 24 hours to a few days after your baby has born. Personally, I have nursed through three pregnancies (and my toddlers spend a lot more time with my breasts than my DH does), and have never had an issue with colostrum for the new baby.
TeeThatsMe likes this.

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#6 of 11 Old 08-05-2014, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
The only situation I can imagine sex causing membranes to rupture is if you were already dilated some and the bag was bulging...otherwise the bag is up above the cervix and not accessible. The tool doctors use is a long skinny hook. Membranes are pretty tough, too, it takes some work to break them. I have heard of midwives sometimes being able to pinch and twist them to break them. I would think, as mentioned, that if sex made them break that they were probably about to on their own anyway.

Colostrum is like regular milk - you can't use it up, your body just makes more. With my first I started making colostrum at about 20 weeks, it was bright orange. I could express one or two drops at a time and it would sometimes stain my bra. My milk came in 4 days after DS was born. DS weaned about four months ago, and I just noticed that I can express a drop or two again. I'm not sure if that's "new" colostrum or old milk...after he weaned I couldn't express a drop, so I'm assuming it's new.
Rikki Jean and TeeThatsMe like this.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#7 of 11 Old 08-06-2014, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Thanks, ladies! My husband was happy to hear, especially on the colostrum front!

Having not had a baby in 13 years, somehow I programmed in my head that colostrum was a limited supply thing, the first of the milk as it started flowing, sort of like the fat that comes to the top of a raw milk container, and once it's gone, it's gone. Good to know that I was misinforming myself!

#8 of 11 Old 08-11-2014, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
OK OK I have one.. Every time I orgasm my uterus becomes hard.. I remember this happening during my first pregnancy but I never asked my doc about it. Well now it has me wondering. My uterus gets very hard. No pain or anything. But I was mainly wondering if it is harming the baby. Or if its normal.
#9 of 11 Old 08-11-2014, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
An orgasm is you uterine muscles contacting so that's what is happening. Muscles tighten up
Rikki Jean likes this.
#10 of 11 Old 08-11-2014, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
During an orgasm, you release oxytocin. This causes uterine contractions. Your uterus also gets hard when you are not pregnant, too! You just don't feel it!
Rikki Jean and TeeThatsMe like this.

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#11 of 11 Old 08-11-2014, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Good to know. Thank you ladies!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page