Raw sprouts? Yay or Nay? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

Old 08-25-2014, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Raw sprouts? Yay or Nay?

I drink raw milk from a trusted source that is tested regularly. I also eat cantaloupe, spinach, etc. All things that have been recalled in the last year due to salmonella. But I thought I recalled reading something in previous pregnancies about lumping sprouts into the same category as lunch meat and sushi for pregnant women. I have this wonderful wrap that I make but it is not the same without a big handful of crunchy sprouts in it. So I looked it up and sure enough they say all pregnant women should avoid sprouts and even that ALL people should avoid raw alfalfa sprouts due to e. coli. Is this just FDA being overly cautious? I feel like before long they're going to tell us that all raw produce is dangerous because it could give us e.coli or salmonella. Of course, being pregnant, I want to be prudent but within reason. Can I eat my beloved sprouts?!! What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2014, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Oh, my gosh! Is that a joke? I would have never thought!!!

I would probably eat them, but I get all my veggies from local farmers who raise their crops organically/sustainably. In the off season, I am part of an organic produce co-op.

Where do you get your sprouts from? Seeds are pretty easy to sprout... Would you be up for growing your own if you are uncomfortable buying?

I am still in disbelief! This sounds crazy to me! I have never even heard this before.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

I actually HAVE a sprout tower where you can grow them on the counter. The problem is I have zero counter space and you have to change the water every day and it's just "one more thing" that I can't juggle right now. I get my sprouts from a locally owned health food store. Usually they are organic, but this time they were not. We have a co-op but it's much further away and I suppose if I decided sprouts were really, really dangerous (ha!) I would go looking for them there but their produce is very unpredictable so who knows if I'd find them.

I know, it sounds like a joke. Neon orange Doritos and neon green Mt. Dew are approved for pregnant women...but be careful eating plants!
Old 08-25-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot-to-Dot View Post
I know, it sounds like a joke. Neon orange Doritos and neon green Mt. Dew are approved for pregnant women...but be careful eating plants!
Seriously!

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

Old 08-25-2014, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
It's just a blanket advisement when they issue the recalls. But it depends on your current gut flora. You could have 100 people eat the contaminated/recalled sprouts and not all would get sick. It all depends upon your own bacteria.

Three kids and one on the way.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm...if only there was a way to determine the state of my gut. I eat fairly healthy foods, I juice, I eat fermented food. However, I've been on Zofran (which causes terrible constipation no matter the state of your gut) for several months for hyperemesis gravidarum (so I've obviously been throwing up) and I have never done a formal gut healing diet. I have no idea how I would currently rate the bacteria in my gut.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot-to-Dot View Post
This is why I don't buy into most of what the mainstream recommends for a "safe" pregnancy.

If Mt Dew and Doritos are okay, and are pumped with so many chemicals, then how on earth could a handful of sprouts pose a problem? Sure there are some occasions where contamination happens, but that's typically on larger scale production.

Eat the damn sprouts, and eat 'em without fear!! They're oober nutritious and are going to give that kid some powerful vitamins and minerals to help him/her grow nice and strong.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
lmao! Exactly...

I find it so funny, and incongruous that if you are looking out for info that will help your pregnancy along.....EVERYTHING is so risky! But if you are looking for info about natural abortion.....sorry, nothing helps short of a trip to planned parenthood. It's crazy.

And I agree about the whole doritios, crappy toxic food that is totally "okay" and abided by for pregnant women, yet anything that causes 'detox' is for SHAME! lol....

My two cents: Use the good judgement god gave you! I practically lived on sprouts my last pregnancy.....and I ate raw sprouted stuff everyday, raw hummus, mung, alfalfa.....
Never had a problem.

Mama to oneone, and a brand new!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
It's important to always remember to wash your veggies well too. My BFF was talking the other day about how she washes all of her veggies as soon as she gets home to rinse any matter off that might be harboring things like E. coli.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I definitely agree with Valerie that it's the "terrain" that matters more than the bacteria/pathogen encountered.

Gut flora certainly matters, but I think the bigger thing you can do if you're worried about food pathogens is increase your stomach acid. Your stomach should be acidic enough (after a meal) to be totally sterile and take care of any potential nasties. 95% of us have insufficient stomach acid (lots of factors there - high carb diet, nutritional deficiencies, stress, all contribute to low acid). Sipping lemon water or apple cider vinegar helps, but you can also take betaine HCl capsules with meals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
Old 08-26-2014, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
My doctor recently advised me to avoid peaches for the remainder of my pregnancy because of "some bacteria" that's actually what she said. Lord help me.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:36 PM

Bren, I was actually eating a peach from Trader Joe's when I was reading about that outbreak. But, thankfully, it was from a different vendor than the one recalled. But, as I was eating, I was like, "Eh, whatever. I washed it for 15 minutes, so it's good." I LOVE peaches and peach season.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Speaking of the forbidden... I just drank a beer and it tasted wonderful. I haven't had anything like that so far because it just never sounded good. Then, as I was cleaning the living room and listening to Jack Johnson, I thought, "A beer would taste so good right now!" Happened to have some Yuengling in the fridge Hit the spot!

PS- Disclaimer: I am not condoning "drinking" in pregnancy. One beer every now and then doesn't qualify as "drinking".... Please don't flame me

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
Old 08-28-2014, 05:11 PM

No flames from me, @cagnew ! I don't mind a glass of wine here or there during the third trimester... It usually doesn't seem good until then.

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

Old 08-28-2014, 05:31 PM

I'm not much of a drinker, but with almost every pregnancy, I get this urge to drink and then find out I'm pregnant a week or two later. And then I'm like "D'oh!"

I had a non-alcoholic margarita at a restaurant the other day and my only complaint is that they put it in a special glass to differentiate it that is smaller than the normal margarita glass, so I was a bit disappointed. It tasted so good, I would have liked more.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:28 PM

@Valerie11 I was SOOOO craving a real deal tequila margarita yesterday. To the point I wish it was February already, just so I could go ahead and indulge! I told my husband that we will be having margarita's shortly after this baby is born... the craving was so intense.
@cagnew Beer sounds great, too, and I wouldn't deny myself one if there was actually a real interest in imbibing. For me, the smell gets me off. I just love the smell of hops.
Wine on the other hand I've had here and there during this pregnancy. Sometimes a glass, sometimes just a sip... While I'm not an alcoholic, I do love the taste of alcohol, and drink regularly when I'm not pregnant. I was so ashamed of myself in the beginning for wanting a glass of wine, but eased up a bit once I realized it wasn't going to cause harm to have some now and then... just not to binge out on it. Like was posted earlier, if mountain dew and doritos are okay, a small bit of wine or a beer every now and then is not going to harm... sometimes I actually wonder if it could help in some ways we just haven't discovered. Same with herb.

Intuitively I stay away from the hard stuff, but wouldn't be surprised if we later discover even that's not so horrible every now and then.

Last edited by happyday8598; 08-29-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for these responses. You guys are hilarious. And comforting. Okay so since asking this and reading the first couple of responses, I had forgotten about the thread and hadn't been on MDC much and in that time I have eaten brie (oops!), sushi (oops!) and smoked salmon (oops!). And throughout the week I ate a whole container of sprouts. And I've guzzled kombucha knowing I should be drinking sensible amounts only. I literally didn't think about these things until I was shoveling it into my mouth. The sushi was California roll but it did have tobiko on it. And of course I have continued to drink my raw milk. And now that you all mention it, a cold, fizzy beer sounds amazing!! I want one! I'm not as far as some of you...I'm 16 weeks. You guys think that is fine this early in the 2nd tri? I have been SO incredibly sick this whole time and miserable with headaches and the WORST constipation that I just want something that feels good dammit. Some popcorn and one beer while watching a movie with my husband sounds like a dream. I'm finally able to eat again and I am just going crazy. I had doughnuts last week! *gasp* Seriously haven't had a donut in years.

Anyway, I am normally a very healthy and conscientious diner but it's all out the window and I'm just HUNGRY! I actually used to drink warm lemon water upon rising every single morning and have started to do that again on some days. I did take HCL for a whole bottle's worth before pregnancy because I do think I have low stomach acid anyway. It did absolutely nothing for me darnit. I really do probably have low stomach acid. It's hard to care when I am under the spell of hunger. I did ACV last night and will try to keep up with lemon water.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Just bought myself a bottle o' wine the other day! Husband's not much of a wine drinker, so between the two of us having like half a glass a day or something, it'll probably take us a week to finish it--but you know what, I was at the store and it looked good, so WINE IT IS.

I am frankly shocked nobody's ever contraindicated car travel for pregnant women--what if you get into a wreck?! I mean, isn't the risk of contamination of something like SPROUTS really the same as worrying that you'll get into a dangerous traffic accident? Every gestating mother--get away from the roads, now. Strap your newborn in tight to get her home from the hospital, of course, but until then, no cars.

Sheesh.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:01 PM

My goal is to not put this babe in the car for the first year of life. Perhaps a little too pipe-dreamish, but we're going to try. It'll be good to stay grounded. At the very least, she won't be to any stores for at least the first year of life. The lighting and the stress and stimulation is a lot for me, not to mention a clean brain. My kids aren't too "commercial" today, but there was a couple of years in there where they teetered. I vow to not have an "entitled" kid. And we don't do plastic and tacky things, anyway, so this will eliminate some of her desires for things she won't be able to have.
Sweet walks down our dirt road to the lovely community up the road, nature time in the woods, hanging with the chickens... This will be part of her first year experience. Why rush it, you know?

User Tag List