Thinking of Sterilization - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

Old 08-25-2014, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Thinking of Sterilization

I don't agree with most forms of birth control because I worry about hormones and how they are affected. I have never been on birth control. All of my pregnancies were surprises, and all births are 4-5 years apart. I usually just use condoms when I'm fertle and that has worked, except for once every 4-5 years. We had always entertained the thought of having a 4th child because it would be my current husband's second child. So now that it's happened, I feel like I'm really done now.

I was thinking about having a tubal ligation about an hour after the delivery, and according to the doctors, they just cut a section out of each tube and you're done. Nothing is affected, no blood supply decreased, no hormones are interrupted, everything is puppy dogs and rainbows afterward.

Except that's not what I'm reading from many women on the internet. There's something called Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome and support groups for these women. And supposedly doctors and nurses won't acknowledge that it's even a real thing that happens. But the body is not a machine, it's a complex organism and it must affect something to make women have such mood swings where they never had them before.

So now I'm scared and I'm pretty much probably not even going to do it. I know it's early to be thinking about, but I figured might as well post about it and see if anyone has anything to add.

Three kids and one on the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2014, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
My opinion is that this decision is a major one.

I don't think I would personally be comfortable making such a permanent decision while pregnant or early post partum. Just too many hormones flying around clouding my judgement. But every woman is different. A friend of mine had that procedure done and really struggles with side effects that you described along with major bleeding problems (non-stop periods) after the procedure. Needed to go on birth control to stop the bleeding, actually. :/

Hard choice. What about your DH? Would he be willing to have a certain procedure done in a year or two? (Though, I am sure that there are side effects from that, too... Whenever you alter your body's natural state, that is bound to happen.)

I hope you are able to come to a decision that is right for you, Dot-to-Dot!

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

Old 08-25-2014, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodieanneanton View Post
A friend of mine had that procedure done and really struggles with side effects that you described along with major bleeding problems (non-stop periods) after the procedure. Needed to go on birth control to stop the bleeding, actually. :/
It's anecdotal stories like this one that convince me not to do it. I'm okay with the permanence of not having more children and just waiting for grandchildren (hoping for, anyway), but not with the idea of permanently messing up my body to where it interferes with my health.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
I had my tubes tied and didn't have any negative side effects. I was already peri-menapausal, so some of the things listed as being part of "Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome" I was experiencing BEFORE having my tubes tied.

For me, it wasn't a big deal. I had heavy periods before, so my Dr, recommended a procedure that removed the lining of my uterus at the same time solely to decrease bleeding. It worked.

Honestly, other than feeling sore for 2 days afterward, it has been puppy dogs and rainbows for me.

I do agree about waiting until after your hormones calm down to make such a major decision. It is a really big decision. I felt more in control of my body and my life afterward.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 08-26-2014, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I have also had a bunch of friends have issues since having theirs done. I am the kind of person that if something bad can happen it will, so I am terrified to have it done.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I've already told my DH that we're not doing anything permanent to me, but I'm fine with him doing something permanent. Creighton model of NFP has worked well for us for 14 years (except for this time! ). All of the other 3 kids were planned. One oops in 14 years isn't bad, I guess. But we really do want to be done after this one. I've known too many people to have extra bleeding and worse cramps from tubals and such, so I don't want to mess up my non-crampy/non-heavy-bleeding self. One friend had heavy bleeding before getting a procedure done... some type of ablation something or other. Anyway, she's been really happy with it, as she has very light periods now. But I just don't trust messing with that stuff. I have to live with my cycle every month for the next several years (I'm not even 40 yet), so I'd like to not make them worse.

I know there can be side effects from a vas, but all the men I know of who have had one have had no problems. I think the incidence is much lower for that procedure than for the stuff done to women.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 08-27-2014, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Not to mention that vasectomies are usually cheaper and a much easier recovery.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

So I have been asking questions at every OB appointment and found out that this is covered 100% as a contraceptive (any sterilization procedure is 100% covered) since I first started this thread.

In order to have the procedure done in the hospital, they take you after the baby is born and if you have an epidural, they just switch the medication and do the surgery with the epi still in. Because everything is so swollen, the tubes are up near the belly, so it is easy to make a couple tiny incisions and then they tie the tubes and cut them. One of the doctors at the practice I'm using doesn't tie with sutures that dissolve, he actually uses clips and doesn't cut anything, but I can't say I'm thrilled with the idea that they are putting something into my body that does not ever come out or dissolve (the clips). Also, I'm not super happy about having to leave the baby to do the surgery or the timing of it.

The other sterilization option is to come back in in 6 weeks or 6 months (can't remember) and they put copper things in my tubes from the vagina and up through the uterus. Then, after 3 months, they put some kind of contrast dye in there to find out if it is completely blocked off by scar tissue or not. Now, although I like this option because it can be scheduled and is not immediately after having the baby, it scares the crap out of me because it is copper that also never comes out of the body.

So, the fact that it's covered 100% and that it would be a very effective means of not having more babies doesn't seem to be good enough to cover the potential negatives of having either of these procedures done. So I'm back to square one with this.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, forgot to mention that if you don't have an epidural, they take you back for surgery at the hospital and put a tube down your throat, that is another huge negative for that procedure.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Oh Valerie, I understand your hesitations. Both of those options are a huge deal. I hope you are able to come to a decision that feels right and natural for you.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I didn't realise that they still actually cut or "tied" tubes. I had a filshie clip put on one of my tubes (for very different reasons) about ten years ago, and I just assumed that was standard practice for sterilisation these days. I no longer have it though, as the entire tube was later removed. At any rate, I can vouch for the procedure itself being a breeze. I've had three laparoscopies and they are very quick. If you have an epi, I can't imagine you would have a really lengthy time away from the baby.

I have since done quite a bit of research on the side/after effects of the procedure (for myself), and have also found a lot of negative stories - enough to make me reconsider my options. I haven't made any decisions, but what I've read certainly frightened me. I think it would take serious consideration to go through with.

Me & him and our beautiful fur boys Duke and Chopz
Forever missing our little ones lost

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32****38
Old 01-22-2015, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

One doctor uses two clips and they pretty much kill the tube where they are holding it (the tissue dies). The other doctors use a dissolving suture that ties under where they've made a loop and that suture or whatever they call it also kills the tissue where it's compressing it. But I think they also cut and/or cauterize the loop part. I'm okay with having it done, but I'm not okay with some of the side effects I've read about. It's a lot to consider.

Old Today, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Talked with my OB this afternoon about this again. I am ready to go through with the sterilization. I love all my kids and the one I'm going to have and I'm really excited to not worry about having more later. So, he said that he uses clips because the failure rate is lower and so far has not had a failure. He also said that I can have an epidural at any time during labor until the baby is born, and that if for some reason I don't have one during labor, I can have an epidural or spinal rather than anesthesia when they do the tubal ligation. Also, the entire procedure takes 15-45 minutes total without complications, part of that time is just waiting for the regional anesthesia to work, so I could see squeezing that in somewhere between the very strict every 3 hour feedings that they love to implement at that hospital. The surgery could be as soon as an hour after the baby is born and up to many hours later, depending upon how busy the hospital staff is and whether an operating room is open. The room they would use is specifically for c-sections and sterilizations only. So, all good. I'm just going to hope for the best.

User Tag List