• 1 Post By alivewithyou
  • 1 Post By alivewithyou
  • 1 Post By luckiest

#1 of 23 Old 08-31-2014, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Diarrhea in 2nd trimester

So I had 3 or 4 loose bowel movements yesterday and I thought maybe it was just a fluke from being so constipated and because I was nervous about my ultrasound. I took some Imodium and although I didn't feel great it calmed down yesterday.

It's back again today though.

I'm not worried about the baby because she looked great yesterday but it is wearing me down and making it hard for me to want to eat. My biggest worry is dehydration so I am drinking as much water as I can... But I'm also worried it won't stop and I will have trouble working through it.

Does anyone have any tips/experiences? I have ibs but it's been under control for quite some time so I'm not sure if that's it...I did experience this in very early pregnancy and it eventually went away so maybe I am just cycling through again...
#2 of 23 Old 09-01-2014, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
I wonder if it is something you ate. Is it better now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#3 of 23 Old 09-01-2014, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

So far it hasn't hit yet this morning.. but I won't feel completely safe for a couple more hours ha ha. The only thing that I had changed was I had started to eat some fruit.. but I didn't eat that much so kind of weird. Maybe it's just hormones shifting since the placenta has taken over now.
tracyamber likes this.

Kyle and Jordan - Married June 22nd, 2013

TTC #1 since October 2013.

My chart -

One loss - March 2014 (5 weeks)

BFP on June 13, 2014 - EDD 2/25/2014
First Beta at 12DPO-186. 15DPO-598!

#4 of 23 Old 09-01-2014, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
I'm one of those people who believes that IBS and IBD is caused by food and sometimes by other organs not working like they should in addition to food. I am always yelling at my husband for taking Imodium (you can do a search on the side effects, if you want). What worked for him was to get on probiotics. It's weird, but the body doesn't digest food on its own without bacteria, so it's important to have a good balance in there and most people just don't. We learned this the hard way. There was a period of time where he couldn't eat anything but chicken broth, carrots and celery in a soup. Those are supposed to be the least difficult to digest and best for when you are having a flare up. Over time we've come to realize that it was a mix between liver functionality and loss of bacteria in the stomach. So now he never drinks any alcohol (maybe once a year, if that) and probiotics daily. That's my best advice. He also has trouble, as do many people, with certain ice creams. There is a chemical in them that causes a segment of the population to have horrible IBS. Depends on the ice cream.

Three kids and one on the way.
#5 of 23 Old 09-01-2014, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Do you have any tendencies towards lactose intolerance? I am, but most of the time I can eat cheese with no issues. A few weeks ago I was suffering from diarrhea too, and finally made the link to cheese which I had upped in my diet as a good source of protein and calcium. Boo! But, once I cut it out the digestive issues disappeared (well, not entirely, just the loose stools). Now I have the fun challenge of eating high protein with no cheese, milk or yogurt. Sigh...

Breastfeeding, cosleeping, homebirthing scientist mama to DD1 07/08, DD2 06/10 and a third on the way 02/15!

#6 of 23 Old 09-01-2014, 02:06 PM

murrelet, I think it is possible for you to eat the cheese if you take digestive enzymes and/or probiotics with specific strains as you eat (with each meal or at least daily). Unless you have a food intolerance, but even then it might work. Our son has a casein (milk protein) intolerance, but just with cow's milk. Not goat's milk, and never tried camel. But every once in a while we will let him have pizza or mac n cheese and as long as we give the enzymes as well as probiotics, he doesn't have any issues. But also, we're not doing it every day, we try to space it out to make sure his body is doing okay before giving it again.

#7 of 23 Old 09-01-2014, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

My ibs is very complicated lol it's something I've dealt with for 6 years now and I have done every weird diet, been on tons if probiotics and every supplement possible and nothing helped. What helped me the most was a combination of hypnotherapy (emotion releasing) and getting my anxiety under control with medication. I've been off those meds since October and haven't had any issues until my fertility doctor put me on metformin for pcos. It calmed down after a few weeks though. I have stopped eating ice cream and drinking milk but I do eat a lot of cheese. I will have to keep an eye on it for sure. Today has been a lot better but maybe I'll look at starting a probiotic again.
Valerie11 likes this.
#8 of 23 Old 09-01-2014, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I have IBS too. It gets worse with pregnancy. Pretty much the entire 2nd and 3rd trimesters are spent going between bad constipation and horrible diarrhea. But I don't get diarrhea for days in a row... it's usually something that occurs out of the blue and lasts for a few hours. Then my whole digestive system feels crappy and queasy for a few days while the constipation starts over. I've also done the probiotic thing, and, while it doesn't seem to stop anything from occurring, I do believe it's still good to take. It gets really expensive though!

I don't take Immodium because it stops me up really bad.

Something new for this pregnancy is nausea accompanying my IBS In the past, I have had a little bit of nausea preceding a diarrhea episode, or during it (usually caused by the pain), but it didn't happen often. Now it seems to be normal and I hate it!

I theorize that the weigh and placement of the growing uterus/baby causes my IBS to get worse. After I have the baby and get through the initial post-partum period, things go back to normal (which means random and more widely-spaced flare-ups, no doubt diet related in one way or another).

Haha. I could go on and on about my bowels, but I'll spare y'all. If I am sickly old person, I am going to be horrible to be around because I'll just talk and talk about every ailment I have!

I wish I could help! I hope it's just something you ate and will go away!

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#9 of 23 Old 09-01-2014, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Man I was really hoping pregnancy would make my IBS better not worse. Hopefully it still will. If not, I will get through it! ha ha.

My chart -

#10 of 23 Old 09-01-2014, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
You ladies have my sympathies. I'm currently dealing with a stomach bug which spread through the lake house we stayed at with a bunch of friends this weekend. DS and DH started with it today, fortunately after we got home, and I thought I was in the clear but it struck as I was going to bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#11 of 23 Old 09-02-2014, 05:04 AM

I guess my question would be which probiotics do you girls take? Do they come from a refrigerated section and tell you the the CFU (colony forming units) on the packaging?

This is not a bad checklist to go by: http://dailyburn.com/life/health/choose-best-probiotic/

The other thing is stress is the worst. I wish there was a decent way to control it, though. The only way I know of is to stop caring so much, and that is easier said than done.

#12 of 23 Old 09-02-2014, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
@Valerie11 , I just told my mom she needs to get her cortisol under control. (Despite diet and exercise, her cholesterol has increased.) She asked me how to control the stress. I told her the exact same thing, "Just stop caring so much." lol. Not so easy to do.
luckiest, TeeThatsMe and Valerie11 like this.

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#13 of 23 Old 09-02-2014, 06:28 AM

jodieanneanton, My oldest had coritsol and aldosterone levels flagged as very low on a blood test (both come from adrenals) and he was also showing low vitamin D levels. We put him on vitamin D3 for a few months until his levels were closer to 100 (started at 20s and most doctors think they should be at 50, but our doctor believes in Stop the Thyroid Madness and said closer to 100). I can't remember the dosage anymore, but I think it was like 1,000 iUs per day or 5,000 iU pill per week. It might have been more than that, but it was at least a couple of years ago so I just don't remember anymore. After his levels were up, the other hormones were no longer outside normal levels. We also did an ACTH stimulation test to make sure that his adrenals could function normally and they did fine. Then, we did an MRI and no tumors on the pituitary gland (or anything else). And as a final measure, we saw a pediatric endocrinologist (after a flag for human growth hormones on another blood test) and he said that hormones fluctuate so much that even just the stress of having the blood drawn can show abnormalities with them, so they do other tests to confirm or use many blood tests over time. We did have more than one test show low cortisol and aldosterone. So, it almost seems like the vitamin D "fixed" his hormone levels. They say vitamin D is a hormone more than a vitamin, or at least it functions that way in the body. We also chose D3 because some people don't convert D2 to D3 like they should.

#14 of 23 Old 09-03-2014, 12:19 PM

I picked up some Garden of Life Raw Probiotics today. It has a lot of strains. I've been meaning to for a long time, but talking here has motivated me to actually go to that section and get some.

#15 of 23 Old 09-03-2014, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Well now I have the opposite problem so can't win. at least it makes my baby bump look big lol.
Valerie11 likes this.
#16 of 23 Old 09-03-2014, 01:26 PM

I just restarted drinking warm lemon water in the morning. I squeeze a lemon into a glass, fill it a little more than half way with water, boil some water and pour the boiling water into the rest of the glass so that it's warm, not hot, and drink. It cleans out the intestines and some organs, and it always makes me super regular. Sometimes, if I haven't done it in a while, it might take 2-3 days to regulate everything, but as long as I keep doing it every day, it keeps on working. I wasn't able to do during the nausea, but now it's possible. You're supposed to do it first thing in the morning, and wait 15 minutes before eating, drinking, or doing any exercise.

#17 of 23 Old 09-07-2014, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Alright Valerie I am ordering a probiotic today... What are your dietary tips? I am pretty much in full anxiety mode with constant stomach pain and diarrhea again.
#18 of 23 Old 09-07-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alivewithyou View Post
Alright Valerie I am ordering a probiotic today... What are your dietary tips? I am pretty much in full anxiety mode with constant stomach pain and diarrhea again.
I'm pretty sure stress is a trigger, or at least it doesn't help the body because it uses up resources on other things than digestion.

My husband found this book:
Amazon Amazon
to be helpful, but the diet is difficult to follow long term. The main idea behind it is to heal the gut, stop leaky gut syndrome, and eventually you will not have to follow the diet exactly, because your gut won't be so sensitive (and full of holes) after it has healed. He was on the diet for at least 4 months, and he also uses Align probiotics, which I don't personally like. I like to get mine from the refrigerated section. I feel like buying Align is pretty much buying a pharmaceutical product, but he swears by them. You don't need to buy this exact book, there's many books out there, but this is the alternative to going to the doctor and being on a pill for the rest of your life.

The other thing is that when you have IBS, IBD, or any of those types of problems, you are most likely sensitive to chemicals, so you need to watch all of the ingredients in processed food that you ever buy. And you might want to get tested to see if you have food intolerance. When you have an intolerance, but not an allergy, you can have all kinds of symptoms and never realize that it's a certain food causing it. You may think you got sick, it was the weather, etc.

And finally, I would look up testimonials. I love to read about people going through the same thing, makes me feel not so alone. I hope you find some relief soon.

#19 of 23 Old 09-07-2014, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

I will check it out. Thanks I am starting to feel desperate but I have a sinking suspicion that it's just because I'm pregnant and my anxiety is high that it's acting up. Doesn't hurt to look at my diet again though. I was tested by a natural doctor for intolerances and pretty much am intolerant to everything. I went on that super strict diet and was still sick all the time so I gave up after losing a ton of weight. I just hate feeling like I am letting this baby down.
#20 of 23 Old 09-07-2014, 04:48 PM

I am so sorry to hear that. If I were in your position, I would probably start to look into all of the possible reasons for what is the actual cause. Parasites, the MTHFR gene mutation or other biomedical reasoning for the many food intolerances. I say MTHFR because it is a very common one in children with many food intolerances. I don't fully understand it, and have been meaning to have my son with autism tested for this gene mutation. There is a test from 23andme that is about $100, you send in the test (saliva, I think) and they send you back raw data, which won't make sense, but you plug that into an interpreter app or website and it will give you more info. You can also go to a geneticist, but they may not really do anything for you. I'm not sure.

If my husband were still having the problems he was having, we would keep looking for reasons. I guess since he's okay now, we just stopped worrying about it.

#21 of 23 Old 09-07-2014, 04:59 PM

Sorry, forgot to include this link: http://doccarnahan.blogspot.com/2013...-big-deal.html
It's a good explanation, but there are many if you search "MTHFR food intolerance".

#22 of 23 Old 09-07-2014, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

yeah I have done every traditional test..no genetic testing however so I will definitely look into that. Not sure if I'll lay down the money but I would be interested to hear the explanations and see if it fits me. I had a colonoscopy at 18 even and nothing.. stool samples tested.. nothing. Every female in my family seems to have these issues. My mom thinks it's because I had my gall bladder out. I definitely know that mine is heavily linked with my anxiety which has been pretty high lately. I actually never had any issues as a child. At 18, I got what I thought was food poisoning from fast food and it just never stopped for about 4 years straight until I got on the anti anxiety medication. I am feeling a little bit better this afternoon (it is usually much worse in the mornings) and I've been able to eat some veggies and drink some freshly juiced fruit juice and so far so good. Thank you for your insight, it is super nice to have someone that knows a little bit about this on here.
Valerie11 likes this.

My chart -

#23 of 23 Old 09-07-2014, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Having your gall bladder out can wreak absolute havoc on your downstream digestive system. If you aren't taking bile salts with every fat-containing meal, it's essentially guaranteed that you aren't absorbing fats properly, and those un-emulsified, undigested fats can be very irritating. The thing with not having a gall bladder is that bile isn't there when you need it, and is there when you don't. The drippy faucet of bile when you aren't digesting food can be very irritating to your duodenum, and duodenal ulcers are common in people without a gall bladder. It's a real shame that gall bladder patients aren't instructed to take bile salts with meals - it really is a necessity.

I'm partial to nutritional therapists since I'm in NT school, but working with one could do a LOT to help, and they are far more affordable than doctors or naturopaths. They work with a professional line of supplements, which makes a huge difference, and do something called lingual-neural testing to see in advance which supplements will be beneficial to you. You can also use LNT to easily and quickly check for sensitivities yourself, for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Valerie11 likes this.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page