Forum Jump: 
 64Likes

#1 of 74 Old 09-03-2014, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
September Chat

I figured I'd just do a month chat instead of a weekly chat

Not much to report here. My back is still holding up, and I am thankful for that!

****Trigger Warning: Negative VBAC stories****

Two of my friends had their babies recently and both of them had disappointing births. One was going for her second VBAC, and the baby went into serious distress, so she ended up with an emergency c-section. Her uterus ruptured on the table. That kind of scared me a little since it's so rare to have a uterine rupture, especially once you've had a VBAC. I'll be going for my 3rd VBAC this time....

My second friend didn't have a scary birth, but she did end up with a c-section. This was supposed to be her 3rd VBAC, but the baby was footling breech and her water broke. Her midwife, and the midwives at the Farm, advised her to have the c-section and not to labor, due to the danger of cord prolapse. The surgery went well, but she is pretty bummed about having another c-section. She had just moved to a state where home birth was legal and was so excited about finally being able to have her home birth.

I feel awful for both of them. And, like I said above, it makes me a little nervous because it reminds me of how unpredictable pregnancy and birth can be.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#2 of 74 Old 09-03-2014, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Agreed. Birth is not something we can control as much as we want to. I think God just has plans for us that we don't understand. I know it was definitely God's plan that I have a 4th, because it sure wasn't mine!

I like the idea of homebirth, but when it comes to the pain, I'm such a wuss. I also like being at the hospital for the pain because something about being in that different state of being makes me want to actually be somewhere unfamiliar (and half naked). I don't know why. I just wouldn't be comfortable feeling that way in my own home.

Anyone still having nausea or puking? I get that way about once a week, maybe more. Where I get the heaves. Every once in a while something comes up. I think it's because my nose isn't as sensitive as it was in the beginning of pregnancy, so now I smell something that initiates the gag reflex without realizing it.

Three kids and one on the way.
#3 of 74 Old 09-03-2014, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Valerie, I'm still having nausea. I'm 15 weeks, and the nausea is no different from all through the first trimester. I never throw up, but I have come close a few times the last couple days. What is up with that?!? LOL. I usually have the nausea going away by 12 or 13 weeks. I'm hoping this lingering nausea is due to a different gender, but we'll see. I have almost 4 weeks to wait to find that out.

Just had my midwife appointment this afternoon. Baby's heartrate was in the mid 140s. Yay for getting to hear it and finding it easily this time! Last time at 11 weeks, we couldn't find it (but we heard the placenta). This time, we immediately found the placenta, then had to hunt for baby and found it. Phew! I knew it was fine in there, since uterus has grown a lot and I feel movement now and then, but it's just good to hear that heartbeat.

My blood pressure was high today, but we're thinking it's because I didn't drink enough water today. So I'm tanking up. Just had some "lemonade" (squirt of lemon juice and some stevia to sweeten). Lemon is supposed to be good for high bp anyway. I also had sugar in my urine, but that is due to eating Lucky Charms for breakfast. Busted! I always spill sugar in my urine if I eat something sugary, yet if I test my blood sugar, it will be a-ok. So sugar in urine during pregnancy just means I ate sugar at breakfast that morning. I also had trace amounts of blood in my urine and high leukocytes, so I could have a uti brewing, but I have no symptoms? So we're watching that. I've never had a uti before.

Other than all that, it was a good appointment. LOL!
jodieanneanton and Valerie11 like this.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#4 of 74 Old 09-03-2014, 02:11 PM

I've had 2 boys and 1 girl and I've never had nausea for this long. And also haven't been this tired since the first pregnancy. I worked through the 2nd and 3rd with no real energy issues.

boscopup, I'm not sure if I could just leave an appointment without hearing the heartbeat. I would be like, "Get me someone who can find it!"

#5 of 74 Old 09-03-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie11 View Post
boscopup, I'm not sure if I could just leave an appointment without hearing the heartbeat. I would be like, "Get me someone who can find it!"
These are homebirth midwives. There wasn't anyone else to get! LOL. It's so normal to not be able to find it at that point, because baby is still down in the pelvis. I knew we'd hear it today though!
gabeyho and Valerie11 like this.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#6 of 74 Old 09-03-2014, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I've never known I had a uti until it spreads to the kidney. Then I know! It's good that you had the appointment to give you the heads up of a potential problem brewing. While bladder infections for most people are no fun, they're not a problem for me. Kidney infections. Shit. They suck!

I'm concerned at this point about my energy level. I feel so worn down and depleted all the time. Standing is exhausting. I want to do stuff, and can, so long as I'm doing it sitting down. The last time I was pregnant I was 21, and now I'm 35. I wonder if it's that I really am older in physical body even though I don't feel old. I never nap, pre-pregnancy. Just can't do it. I've napped every day for the past 2 weeks, a hard core 2 hour sleep in the middle of the day. Today was great, though. I dreamt that I had the baby (a girl!), and she was able to communicate right away. When I woke up, I wanted to fall back to sleep to spend more time with her.

In other discussion. I follow this website on Facebook that I think deserves to be seen by all. Humans of NY. Just a dude and his camera, walking the streets of NY, finding people to photograph and ask a question or two to, with a short (and usually profound) text statement. Right now the photographer (Brandon) is traveling around the world with the UN, going to conflict ridden countries and just talking to the people. No politics, just human experience. I'm sure some of you are familiar... More of you need to be!! lol. I Brandon!!

#7 of 74 Old 09-03-2014, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I was still having intermittent nausea at 14 weeks, then last night caught the stomach bug that DH and DS had on Monday. We went to a lake house this weekend and nearly everyone came down with it after they got home. That was the most intense puking I've ever done in my life. I kept thinking I should go to urgent care, but couldn't drive myself and didn't want to wake DS in the middle of the night to drag him along. By the time DH could get home from work today and going was an option, I felt better enough to just ride it out. Now the nausea is over and I'm just feeling incredibly exhausted and sore and achy. I also can't eat quite yet. Sigh. Hoping tomorrow is better...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#8 of 74 Old 09-03-2014, 04:29 PM

So sorry to hear what you're going through luckiest. Feel better soon.

#9 of 74 Old 09-04-2014, 02:06 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I hope you are feeling better today luckiest xx

Feeling a bit rough too. I've had a persistent scratchy cough for 3weeks now and assymetrical swollen throat (not got tonsils, but the left side of my throat is so swollen it touches the epiglottis). My throat is thankfully not sore but it's really uncomfortable and is contributing to my gagging frequently and not swallowing properly. One of my armpits is sore so I guess that's a lymph node?
Am off to a wedding today but will try to see a Dr this week as I'm already tired without this.
Still waiting for the results of my amnio too. Another week I expect

Sarah, slightly crunchy Mummy to 4, living the rural life
#10 of 74 Old 09-04-2014, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I am 17 weeks and still feeling nauseous. If I don't eat often enough, I end up puking. It ticks me off and I just want to be done with this stage.
#11 of 74 Old 09-04-2014, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I haven't been on in a little while, but I thought I should come check in. I'm 16 weeks now, almost 17, and it looks like I'm team pink! More importantly, everything looks good, and baby looked great! She didn't seem to like the ultrasound, though, I got some good solid jabs from her on the way home.

I've lost around 17 pounds, though, which explains why none of my pants fit right. Mainly I'm not hungry most of the time, in a 'I don't want anything and will throw up if I do eat' kind of way. So when I am hungry, I eat everything. Like yesterday, I had smoked salmon pizza, steamed veggies and salad and veggie lasagna from my mom's church supper, and a possibly embarrassing amount of pudding. But I wasn't able to eat until about 4:30, so I just get in what I can when I can.
Valerie11 likes this.
#12 of 74 Old 09-04-2014, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Just found out after 6 weeks my husband will make it home in time for our anatomy scan on Monday. They tried to make him work but thankfully he got out of it. Now I just have to hope all the flights go through without a hitch!

Stomach viruses during pregnancy suck. I feel so badly for you @luckiest . Bleh !

The past two days have been nausea free and I am enjoying being hungry without having to take care if it immediately.
Valerie11 likes this.

Sarah- sahm to a little boy and girl with a third blessing due in Feb.
#13 of 74 Old 09-04-2014, 06:07 PM

Did urine sample and cbc bloodwork today to check out that possible uti further. "Slight" bacteria and slightly high wbc. Waiting on culture (takes 2 days). No glucose in my urine this time! Hahaha!

I did have ketones 3+ because I'm dehydrated. So I'm drinking, drinking, drinking. Might float away. I could tell I was dehydrated. My hands have gotten dry lately, and that's usually a good sign of not drinking enough.
@luckiest , there really should be a law against stomach bugs in pregnancy! I had one during the second trimester in my second pregnancy. That was awful. And since I couldn't eat for 24 hours, I was so WEAK when I got to feeling better. It took me a couple days of just laying around eating to recover some energy.

#14 of 74 Old 09-05-2014, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Thanks guys! The last time I had a stomach bug was when I was in second tri with DS four years ago...not cool!

I'm in that weak phase now. Last night was my first real meal, and I could hardly stand up yesterday. Poor DS is going crazy with boredom and BEGGED DH to stay home from work today. Sigh. At least it's Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#15 of 74 Old 09-05-2014, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Glad you're in recovery, Luckiest! And Sarahknavy, yippee for your husband being home in time for the scan! Happyday, eek on the kidney infection!

My husband's deployment was extended... we can take it in stride but it ruined some travel plans we had and some plans for friends visiting. And, I have some goals for the family (potty training attempt #2 , transition from bed to crib) that I wish he could be here for, but may have to tackle alone now... Ugh.

DD1 starts homeschool on Monday. When I realized with baby coming in February, and our move next fall/winter, there will be two major interruptions to schooling. So, we decided to take an easy-breezy two years for kinder. She's ready to read and I think she'll really love her engineering class at the local co-op. It is going to be a big challenge for me, however, because I don't like to be committed to being in a specific place and time week in and week out. I like a lot of wiggle room in our schedule so if the weather is fantastic we can go to the beach or zoo or whatever, or make last-minute play date plans. At least until late fall, we have commitments outside of our home 3 days a week.
#16 of 74 Old 09-05-2014, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
So last week I had my first mw visit, and it was pretty uneventful. Too early to get a heartbeat as she suspects anterior placenta, and I need more iron. She also explained to me that she does parallel care with a group that is a little over an hour south of us, so that her clients can have established patient at a regular practice in case of the need to transfer later or if extended labor non-emergency needs arrive. That particular town and medical group has several midwives and a birth center, as well as a hospital or two that works with midwives. It's kind of weird that the town has all of those things, since it's not much bigger than my town, and my only guess is because it's more centrally located and near a state university. I live in a tiny rural town with one county run hospital that is hostile to our one local midwife, and this is why she chooses to have her clients go south, unless of course there is an emergency. ANYWAY, so I called to make my first appt and was told that as of May the hospital down there changed it's VBAC policy and has told the midwives no more VBACs, and the two physicians in the group who typically handle VBACs at the birth center and cesareans will not be available because one is leaving soon and the other will be on maternity leave when I am due, so they can not accept me as a patient. I just find it so highly annoying. I know it's not their fault, I'm not mad or anything (except maybe at the hospital down there and up here), but this is just the way things go around here all the time for medical care. I don't really care that much, except my mw can't order labs or ultrasounds or anything without a physician working with her because California medical services are being poopy to midwives even though the law changed this year. I just want my dang ultrasound so we can find out what we're having! Thankfully, the lady at the medical group gave me the number of a few places down there that will do elective ultrasounds, so I may go south just for that in the next couple of weeks. I feel bad for my mw, she obviously didn't know about this recent change yet, and I'll have to let her know whenever she calls me back. It's so irritating that I can't just get the care I want where I live, and the hospital can't just get with the times. I hate living in these small towns with tiny little basic service hospitals. I swear, if you have a cramp and a headache at the same time they just airlift you two hours away. That's almost all they do here is stabilize people and then airlift them to a bigger facility.

So, that's my rant o' the day!

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#17 of 74 Old 09-06-2014, 04:47 AM

Sorry to hear gabeyho. Our state isn't great with birthing freedoms either, but I didn't have too much resistance last time when I declined a bunch of things at the hospital, so hoping they didn't get worse over the last 4 years.

#18 of 74 Old 09-06-2014, 06:28 AM

@gabeyho , can you see an OB without telling them you're also seeing a midwife? I hate to do that, but if they don't leave you a choice... You don't have to show up at the hospital or schedule a c/s in order to get bloodwork and u/s stuff. If you birth with the midwife instead of showing up at the hospital, they can't do anything about that.

My last two pregnancies, I saw an OB and a midwife separately. I did tell the OB my plans only because he was friendly to the midwives, but some people used him without telling him (he appreciated that I told him, but again, he was midwife friendly). Now he has a more open agreement with the midwives to do bloodwork and u/s for their patients, but back then, I just did the normal OB appointments on schedule until I have birth, then I called and cancelled the next appointment. Also, I kept my pants on at OB visits (except for the dating u/s), so no cervical exams at the end of pregnancy. I gave birth to early to get tested for GBS. I also declined the GTT and tested blood sugar at home with a glucometer for a few days. So my OB Appointments ended up no different, medically, then my midwife appointments.

Note that I was paying out of pocket for the midwife, so insurance covered the OB no question. Not sure how this would work if your insurance covers the midwife.
#19 of 74 Old 09-06-2014, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
All this makes me very thankful to the resources available to me. I can't VBAC with a midwife but my OB is awesome.(well... For me)

My husband is back!!!!! He got in at 130. I was able to get 3 hours before he for here. Then my sister went into labor!!! Then my baby woke up at 5am! The pot of coffee is already made!
gabeyho, TeeThatsMe and Valerie11 like this.

Sarah- sahm to a little boy and girl with a third blessing due in Feb.
#20 of 74 Old 09-07-2014, 01:13 AM

I did the ob thing last time even tho I planned on a UC, but I don think I can do it this time with insurance as I intend to use my insurance to pay my mw. Plus, there are only two obs in this county, since we are rural, and they are together in the same practice at the hospital. Anyhow, I'm not really that worried about it. I'll get an elective ultrasound soon to find out gender, and let my mw worry about parallel care. I am going to ask my family doc if she would consider doing it for me, just in case I need any lab work done, I think there is a possibility she might.

#21 of 74 Old 09-07-2014, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
How accurate do you think a gender determination ultrasound would be at 15-16 or 16-17 weeks? I'm getting a little antsy and want to find out what I'm having soooo bad! I could wait 5 weeks for my 20 week ultrasound but I really don't want to. I also don't want to blow $95 if they can't even tell the gender this early on.
#22 of 74 Old 09-07-2014, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
@bren94 : I went at 14.5 weeks last week and it was very obvious it was a girl. She was very active and not shy though.
#23 of 74 Old 09-07-2014, 05:59 PM

I've always been told they can start doing checks at fifteen weeks

#24 of 74 Old 09-08-2014, 05:10 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I suggest calling the place that is going to do your ultrasound. They will have a time period that they prefer. Some of them actually like 15 weeks better.
#25 of 74 Old 09-08-2014, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I found out last week that I'll have 2 ultrasounds in the next month. One is the 20 week fetal survey, which I knew was coming, but the other is a follow-up look at my ovary due to my surgery and history of cysts. The Dr. had said she would just piggyback her follow-up scans on my regular pregnancy ultrasounds, but I asked about this one being combined and they said no. So tomorrow will be a close look at my ovary and the fluid that was surrounding it at my 6.5 week ultrasound, but I'm sure there will be a peek at the baby too. I'm hoping the tech will print out another picture of the baby, so I can compare the growth between now and 4 weeks later.

I was pretty set on not finding out if it's a boy or girl, but with 2 ultrasounds planned when it should be visible, I may give in to curiosity - or just accidentally see something! My husband is pretty excited about the chances to see the baby, and he would really like to know the sex, so I'm sure he will be looking hard for any clues. Although, I'm not sure how obvious it is to someone not trained in looking at baby ultrasounds. I can never tell what anything is in imaging.
#26 of 74 Old 09-09-2014, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I was told with my 3rd at a 16 week scan. I didn't know they could tell that early so I failed to tell them we DIDN'T want to know the sex.

This time around I sort of want to know, but I don't want DH to know and I don't think I could keep it a secret. He isn't against knowing, but I'm afraid he will be disappointed if it's a girl. I know for sure that he won't be nearly disappointed if he sees it's a girl at the birth, so I think we will just wait.

Moving along here. Homeschooling started so now I am busier than ever. DH threw out his back and that's made things a little more difficult. He's on the mend now though, so that's good.

My belly is getting big! My non-pregnancy tanks don't cover it anymore. I've gained about 7 lbs. I usually start gaining quickly from this point on. Ugh. I can't stop eating JUNK though. Sugar. I've got to stop and I know it. It's so hard! My addiction is bad!

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#27 of 74 Old 09-09-2014, 01:50 PM

Has anybody been stung by a wasp since becoming pregnant? I've been stung by 3 wasps, a total of 4 times since knowing I was pregnant. Previously, the last time I was stung was on my birthday when I was 12. Perhaps random, but perhaps wasps are more attracted to pregnant women? The first time was in the middle of the night while I was sleeping... twice! Talk about a way to wake up! Then today I was stung by 2 different wasps, totally unprovoked in very different areas of the yard...
Ouch! Though I have to say, the stings renewed my energy level! I've formed this philosophy over the years that wasps sting those who need their venom for healing... My laziness has been disgusting to me, then ZING!!! a sting totally stirs the energy again...
tracyamber likes this.

#28 of 74 Old 09-09-2014, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Then I wish to be stung by a wasp.
I am so tired today. Some days I have lots of energy but other days.... Just tired and my toddler wipes me out. We are moving soon into a house we are closing on on Friday and I have not packed anything today. Luckily food is being cooked in the crockpot. I'm glad I can use it again as my sense of smell is almost back to normal. For a second there I could smell the clay insert which was making me sick and I was going to give it away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
happyday8598 likes this.
#29 of 74 Old 09-09-2014, 03:11 PM

Man, this lack of energy thing is just ridiculous. Some days I wonder if I really am depressed. Some days I just can't muster up any energy. Fortunately my kids are teenagers, so require much less of my energy... but *I* require energy, and my husband requires energy. We got married while I was pregnant, and sometimes I think he questions his choice. I keep reminding him that we've been together for 6 years, and I've NEVER been this lazy... Hopefully that convinces him!
MOVING! How fun!! I love to move into new homes that I can nest in. The transition typically inspires new creative energy within me as I "homify". Though, I continuously homify, anyway... It's just so nice to make a home space feel like home.
tracyamber likes this.

#30 of 74 Old 09-09-2014, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyday8598 View Post
Has anybody been stung by a wasp since becoming pregnant? I've been stung by 3 wasps, a total of 4 times since knowing I was pregnant. Previously, the last time I was stung was on my birthday when I was 12. Perhaps random, but perhaps wasps are more attracted to pregnant women? The first time was in the middle of the night while I was sleeping... twice! Talk about a way to wake up! Then today I was stung by 2 different wasps, totally unprovoked in very different areas of the yard...
Ouch! Though I have to say, the stings renewed my energy level! I've formed this philosophy over the years that wasps sting those who need their venom for healing... My laziness has been disgusting to me, then ZING!!! a sting totally stirs the energy again...
I just got attacked by wasps 3 days ago! I guess I was too close to their nest. I got about a dozen bites and one stinger in me. Holy moly that hurt! And I went running up our super steep 200 ft. driveway like a mad woman. I really didn't know I could run that fast. They were all over my back. I was the only grownup home, so I ran to the bathroom, stripped and jumped in the shower. My husband found 8 yellow jackets in there later. I was slightly traumatized. Now I'm just dealing with all the itching!
happyday8598 likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page