How are you making yourself feel "beautiful"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 59Likes

#1 of 47 Old 09-05-2014, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
How are you making yourself feel "beautiful"?

I do NOT feel radiant or beautiful these days. With my growing body, and hair (I shaved my head about 4 months ago, and the stage of growth that it's in is very ... awkward) I just don't feel very feminine... at the epitome of what "femininity" means!

How are you ladies treating yourself to help yourself feel more beautiful/feminine/attractive, etc?
applejuice likes this.

#2 of 47 Old 09-05-2014, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Happyday, I am a girl's girl. I feel pretty when I smell good and my pregnancy nose makes me very happy. I know perfume isn't the healthiest thing, but I won't give it up. I may let my legs get fuzzy and ignore my nails and toes, but I spend 15 minutes on my hair/make-up and put on my magnolia perfume.

But you know what I think is JUST GORGEOUS? A woman, no matter how she looks, growing a baby. Now that is a sight to see! How long is your hair? Getting close to pixie? I bet you look sassy!
#3 of 47 Old 09-05-2014, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
happyday, I'm not sure why you shaved your head, but I did that in high school. My grandma gave me a perm that was WAY too tight on already somewhat short hair and I couldn't stand it, so I just shaved it off. The first night was very cold and it took a couple of years to grow out until I felt comfortable again.

I'm not a girly girl (all brothers and my mother also had all brothers and one sister that was much older), but I also love some perfumes. I try to only use it on special occasions since I know it's toxic and might bother some people.

I've been doing basically nothing to stay feminine lately. I do shave my legs every other day or so, but I haven't been getting my hair cut and it really needs it. But then I think about how much that would cost, and if I save money are they going to screw it up?.. so I just never end up going. I will probably break down and get a trim in a month or two. I'm trying to get back to where I can put it all in a pony tail and the bangs don't fall out. I'm right where only a few strands fall out on top. That's what I get for letting her frame my face a little last time.
applejuice likes this.

Three kids and one on the way.
#4 of 47 Old 09-05-2014, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I feel pretty frumpy these days. I did get my hair cut, but unfortunately I don't have anyone here who does a good job with my course, thick wavy hair, so it didn't help much. I have been thinking about getting my eyebrows waxed. That usually makes me feel pretty. What I really need are some cute maternity clothes, but I just can't justify that until fall hits...

#5 of 47 Old 09-05-2014, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I've never been a "girly-girl," but I do like to feel put together and nice. I fully admit to being a clothes snob - I rarely ever buy clothes and have a tiny wardrobe, but only so that I can afford high quality items. I always wear simple makeup and generally keep up with hair/body hair.

Except the last three months! I've *gasp* gone to the store in yoga pants and no makeup...not once, but regularly. My hair desperately needs to be cut and colored. I'm a frumpy mess!

Lately all it takes is a shower to make me feel like I've made an effort. But the morning sickness is gone and I've mostly recovered from the stomach bug, so I'm planning to go get a hair cut and buy some maternity jeans this weekend. Maybe a trip to Lush to ask them about dying my hair with henna.

Oh, and the only thing I do ritualistically that makes me feel good is dry brushing. It feels sooooo good and helps me feel saner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
applejuice and DuchessTergie like this.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#6 of 47 Old 09-05-2014, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Long flowy skirts always make me feel more feminine. I have been growing out my hair for a while now and I usually cut it during pregnancy. I am trying to resist the urge!

I don't use make up or perfume or anything. But I like scented lotions sometimes.
applejuice likes this.

Sarah- sahm to a little boy and girl with a third blessing due in Feb.
#7 of 47 Old 09-05-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckiest View Post
I've *gasp* gone to the store in yoga pants and no makeup...not once, but regularly.
I quit wearing makeup as soon as I quit working. And thanks to the pregnancy, my skin usually looks pretty good, so I don't think I need any. When I do get a blemish, it goes away overnight. This is the first time in my life that's ever happened. I will, though, put on a tinted lip balm since my lips are usually pretty dry and white.
applejuice likes this.

#8 of 47 Old 09-05-2014, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Putting on basic makeup for the day, and eye makeup if I'm leaving the house, really makes me feel a lot better. I also make sure I do my hair every day. I have fine, thin, curly/wavy hair so it doesn't take very long to style and I feel awful if i don't shower and do my hair.

I also shave my legs every other day, and keep up with my body hair. I wax my own facial hair (so much hair on my side of the family, and it's so much worse when prego), and I have been getting waxes 'down there' for several years now, so I try to keep that up as long as I can. I haven't gotten a hair cut in a few months as I decided to stop dying it, and I need a trim, so that will be happening in the next couple weeks before my sister's wedding.

Also, it always helps when my toe nails are painted! I used to get pedicures regularly, but hate spending the money at a salon and equally hate the cheap walk-in places. I recently started just making myself paint my own nails, and it totally makes me so happy. I have such ugly toe nails and other foot issues, and the polish just seems to make it all go away.
applejuice likes this.

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#9 of 47 Old 09-06-2014, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Oh! I could paint my toenails!!
Make up is not a part of my regular routine. I feel more clown like and scary with make up on. Perhaps I could try it again? My family wouldn't know what to make of it!
I wear skirts, shave regularly, and have even started showering regularly! lol
Perhaps the problem is that I work at a place with a bunch of 22 year old all natural (and fun!) beauty queens.
My husband calls me his "sexy pregnant pork chop". Nice. I know that he still finds me attractive, perhaps even more so, but often I feel so undeserving of his physical admiration.

I think it's the clothes. Clothes often don't look good on my wide hipped body type.
Thanks, ladies. I'm going to paint my toenails and try to find some nice flattering clothes. And plenty of pleasant affirmations.

I agree with Duchess that a pregnant woman is one of the most feminine and beautiful of women... You know, the OTHER pregnant women!!! lol
DuchessTergie likes this.

#10 of 47 Old 09-06-2014, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyday8598 View Post
Oh! I could paint my toenails!!
Make up is not a part of my regular routine. I feel more clown like and scary with make up on. Perhaps I could try it again? My family wouldn't know what to make of it!
I wear skirts, shave regularly, and have even started showering regularly! lol
Perhaps the problem is that I work at a place with a bunch of 22 year old all natural (and fun!) beauty queens.
My husband calls me his "sexy pregnant pork chop". Nice. I know that he still finds me attractive, perhaps even more so, but often I feel so undeserving of his physical admiration.

I think it's the clothes. Clothes often don't look good on my wide hipped body type.
Thanks, ladies. I'm going to paint my toenails and try to find some nice flattering clothes. And plenty of pleasant affirmations.

I agree with Duchess that a pregnant woman is one of the most feminine and beautiful of women... You know, the OTHER pregnant women!!! lol
So true about the "other" pregnant ladies.

For me, it is the clothes that make me feel icky. My normal clothes don't fit, and I ony have a few maternity pieces right now, and they don't even fit well yet. I feel frump-a-licious. I'm feminine, but simple, and I like to look polished. So right now while my clothes are ill-fitting and it looks like I've been eating too many burritos, I just wear bright lipstick and flashy jewelry, hoping people will notice something besides my outfit.

I admire you ladies that can keep up with smooth legs. I have to hide my leg veins so I wear only maxi skirts and dresses, so shaving only happens every third day or so. I'll have to make better friends with my razor when DH gets home....
#11 of 47 Old 09-06-2014, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

YES! That's what it is... being at that in between stage of not quite looking pregnant yet, but looking larger than your "normal" self. For people who know me and aren't aware that I'm pregnant yet (I haven't really publicly informed people yet... I think that when I start to show, they'll know. There are people I am acquainted with and talk to, but not about personal stuff, and I'm not quite sure how to announce to those in that category), they must be thinking I've just stopped taking care of myself.
I, too, just look like I'm indulging a little more frequently in ice cream cones. I am, but there is more to the "blubber" look than that...

#12 of 47 Old 09-07-2014, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Because of bloating, I alternate between looking fat and looking a lot further along than I am. You guys are making me feel bad. I have gone from shaving every week or so to stretching it out almost 3 weeks since becoming pregnant. Nobody is really seeing or feeling my legs though. Sundays are usually the only day that I even bother trying to look good.
#13 of 47 Old 09-07-2014, 08:55 AM

Some days I look very pregnant, and then I pass a lot of gas and suddenly I just look sort of pregnant. So yeah, it's probably just bloating.

I can't do nail polish. I mean, I can, but it never lasts. My hair doesn't grow very fast, but my nails grow way too fast. I can't stand the feeling of them being too long, so I cut them at least once a week. I just feel like I can't do things with long nails. So, when I do paint them, it's no time at all before it's time for a re-painting.

#14 of 47 Old 09-07-2014, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

I was looking really pregnant, then got a stomach bug and suddenly looked completely flat-bellied. Now that I'm eating again I'm back to looking pretty pregnant and needing to wear maternity jeans. Made me realize how much of this belly is GI contents! Gross!

Yesterday we all went to the mall and indulged in a bit of retail therapy. We're usually not big shoppers, but things have been so cruddy lately that we decided to have a little treat yo'self day. I got two pair of good maternity jeans so I can stop wearing workout gear, and some new lip stuff from sephora. Feels so good to be a fully functioning human again.
Valerie11 likes this.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#15 of 47 Old 09-07-2014, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Dresses. For me, it is absolutely all about the dresses. I feel nice and feminine in them, and am fortunate to have probably a ridiculous number of maternity dresses--plus a few non-maternity pieces that have always been a bit big on me and which I'm finally outgrowing now. I call this trimester the "wear it now or forever hold your peace (or at least for the next six months)" trimester, because of the number of times I've put something on and gone, "Yep, today is definitely the last day for this garment!" Today I wore a totally slinky bias-cut thing that I was shocked to get over my belly--but it worked! Slap a cardigan on that thing and you're good for church; and now that church is over and the day's gotten warmer I'm just lounging around in the dress by itself, feeling nice and womanly and fertile.

But yeah, maternity dresses, man. I love anything that really accentuates the bump. Plus a dress forces me to get it together and do things like shave, for instance.
happyday8598 and Valerie11 like this.

#16 of 47 Old 09-07-2014, 10:17 AM

I'm not usually a dress person, but they are so much more comfortable than trying to wear shorts and having to keep pulling up the band or just plain keep them up, period. I just worry about going out in a dress and the wind blowing it up or having to bend over for something. I'm looking forward to getting some fall/winter maternity jeans with a full panel soon. full panels do a better job of staying up.

#17 of 47 Old 09-07-2014, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

My "bump" comes and goes, too. At first I was disappointed, but now I'm kinda okay with it. I have nothing to prove now that I've seen that little squirmy bean inside. I'm pregnant! I know it, and so does my hubby... the rest of the world? They'll realize I'm not just gaining weight.

I love dresses and skirts so much now that I'm pregnant! Dresses are great, bc that waist band gets so darn itchy across the belly!!!

I tried getting some pants that were just a size or two larger, thinking that would work, but... it doesn't! The butt and legs are SOOO baggy, I end up looking like an oompa loompa!
Valerie11 likes this.

#18 of 47 Old 09-07-2014, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Went shopping and bought a TON of maternity clothes including a beautiful black maxi dress. I felt beautiful with my little baby bump in all the clothes. Plus, they are so comfy and soft.

Kyle and Jordan - Married June 22nd, 2013

TTC #1 since October 2013.

My chart -

One loss - March 2014 (5 weeks)

BFP on June 13, 2014 - EDD 2/25/2014
First Beta at 12DPO-186. 15DPO-598!

#19 of 47 Old 09-07-2014, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
It's funny how many of us have said 'I am not really a girly girl' or 'not really a dress person'...I am one of these. I've always been a bit of a tom boy. AND I am in the minority but I don't shave at all. And I don't get my hair done or my nails. I feel beautiful when my hair is clean and shiny. I found that my once favorite shampoo was beginning to dull/weigh down my pregnancy hair so I splurged on a more expensive brand and it is now shiny and bouncy and that feels nice. I also have picked up a few extra maternity things from thrift stores that are nice, a few dresses, more color. That makes me feel good too. Things that compliment my figure and growing belly. I find that if I wear something that doesn't show off the bump well, I feel fat instead of pregnant. I also feel beautiful by spending more time outside. I feel in tune with the natural changes going on as we transition to fall, and I transition to more and more full of life. That is beautiful.
Valerie11 and calico_aster like this.

Wife to my Sweetness and Light, DH (03), WAHM to DS('01), DS('11), and DS('13). Encouraging mothers everywhere to write for their lives. Expecting our fourth and final baby( It's a GIRL!!!) in January 2015.
#20 of 47 Old 09-07-2014, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Oh, @writermama12 , that's a good one--beautiful soft shiny hair. I love that, too! Always helps to feel pretty. My hair's getting very very long, and I'm starting to think about maybe splurging on a nice haircut to help define the length--that would be a really big feel-pretty-maker for me.

#21 of 47 Old 09-09-2014, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Tomorrow my mother in law is taking me shopping. Maybe if I actually feel like I have something to wear I will feel pretty. And my underwear are so dang tight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#22 of 47 Old 09-10-2014, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

@tracyamber - did you get anything good?

My husband told me this morning that the length my hair is is his favorite length so far... "you remind me of puck! I love it! it's cute!!" I love HIM!!! I decided to get some styling gel today to try out for a little while, just to give my hair that same "cute" look he liked so much after my shower. When I say I'm no maintenance, I really mean it. I brush my teeth, but do NOTHING else as a daily regimen. Wait. I put moisturizer on every day, too... Yup... definitely not like any of the other girls he's dated!!

I wish I could see myself as my husband sees me. He's always telling me how sexy he finds me. Me??? Seriously? What do you see that I don't? Coming from his standards, and my thoughts on how attractive/sexy HE is, I should just believe him. I'm working on that.
DuchessTergie and Valerie11 like this.

#23 of 47 Old 09-10-2014, 03:36 PM

Aw. That's so sweet of him!!! I do about the same as you!! Half the time I forget deodorant! (I keep it on my bag cause I always remember right when I get hot).
happyday8598 and TeeThatsMe like this.

Sarah- sahm to a little boy and girl with a third blessing due in Feb.
#24 of 47 Old 09-10-2014, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Deodorant? Haven't worn it in YEARS!!!

#25 of 47 Old 09-10-2014, 03:51 PM

@happyday8598
That is so sweet you got the gel.
I'm pretty low maintenance as well compared to most. I do shave my underarms and put on mascara . If it gets cried off I do not re apply. It goes on only once
Well I think it is pretty cool that your dh thinks you are beautiful no matter what. Believe it!!!!!
I ended up getting a few tops that I really like. But no pants. The store had no pants I could wear comfortably . I think I'm going to live in yoga pants so I'll need to go get some.
I'm just so tired right now I can barely write.
Edit to add
I'm laughing.. I do wash my face with a special wash but I moisturize nothing except coconut oil in my hair.

#26 of 47 Old 09-10-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyday8598 View Post
Deodorant? Haven't worn it in YEARS!!!

What??????
Since pregnant I have worn nothing because I worry about the chemicals and baby but otherwise.... Eek I don't think anyone would want to hang out with me. No really, I smell otherwise

#27 of 47 Old 09-10-2014, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyamber View Post
What??????
Since pregnant I have worn nothing because I worry about the chemicals and baby but otherwise.... Eek I don't think anyone would want to hang out with me. No really, I smell otherwise

Me too, super stinky. My DH though smells like nothing! Really and truly. Even when he comes home from a run he doesn't smell a bit. I'm talking face in armpit and still no smell (I've checked because of my raging envy!). So, he wears no deodorant...

Breastfeeding, cosleeping, homebirthing scientist mama to DD1 07/08, DD2 06/10 and a third on the way 02/15!

#28 of 47 Old 09-10-2014, 04:44 PM

@murrelet
My dh is the same as well. I swear he has never bought deodorant. He has no stink. Maybe stink attracts no stink...lol

#29 of 47 Old 09-10-2014, 04:57 PM

Put me in the stinky category, too. I use deodorant, but just unscented stuff from Kiss My Face at the moment. The best deodorant I ever used (besides the toxic kind that works) was made by a friend out of shea butter and had actual probiotics in it. That was the secret ingredient. But since I haven't made any, I just use the semi-useful non-toxic store kind.
tracyamber likes this.

#30 of 47 Old 09-10-2014, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not generally a smelly person. My husband typically wears no deodorant, too. Sometimes he'll put on kiss my face patchouli (yum!), but usually he smells pleasantly human.

oooohh... Yoga pants! That may be what works for me! I, too, have a hard time with pants. I did buy one pair from goodwill that came from old navy maternity, which are cute, but white. It's the pants that I'm running into an issue with. What I really want is a pair of overalls! But am not sure how to buy them, not knowing how big I'll be getting.
tracyamber likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page