Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

#1 of 17 Old 10-30-2014, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
NOVEMBER BOOK CLUB: Birthing from Within

November is two days away... Whee!

I, for one, am pretty excited to get going on this book. How would everybody like to get started on this one? Should we do like we did last time, with general guidelines on which part of the book we're discussing each week? Alternatively, we could just set our own individual paces and discuss as desired. Or... some third, brilliant option you come up with! What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 10-30-2014, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
I like the first idea. It will *maybe* keep me up to date. My usual pace is "ehh, I don't feel like reading tonight. I am too tired." lol.

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#3 of 17 Old 10-31-2014, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I'll confess that I have already started reading it this week and doing some of the art projects.
#4 of 17 Old 11-02-2014, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I read this my last pregnancy and took the class. Im a huge fan. Would love to discuss with all of you!
#5 of 17 Old 11-02-2014, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
I confess - I just don't think BFW is my cup of tea. I don't dislike it at all so far (I'm about halfway), it's just not doing anything for me. I'm not real into the art projects (doing them...I think looking at the examples is interesting). It might just be that I've read SO many natural birth books that it just isn't earth shattering anymore...? As with the second half of Hypnobirthing, I just skim through all the stuff about choosing your care provider, your options, birth basics, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#6 of 17 Old 11-02-2014, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Sounds fun. I'll go with option # 1 @TeeThatsMe

#7 of 17 Old 11-03-2014, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

I'm so glad there are a few others who also enjoy a scheduled approach, because... um... it is November 3 and I am about 10 pages in. Sigh.

More power to you all who are reading at your own pace! I mean, that's what we all should do... some of us (...me) just require our "own pace" to follow an externally-devised structure or we'll never get anything done.

How about reading by sections this month?:

Week of November 3 through 9:
Sections I and II, through page 77

Week of November 10 through 16:
Sections III and IV, through page 159

Week of November 17 through 23:
Sections V and VI, through page 255

Week of November 24 through 30:
Section VII and appendices

Last edited by TeeThatsMe; 11-03-2014 at 09:38 AM.
#8 of 17 Old 11-03-2014, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
That schedule sounds good. It will help keep me motivated to keep reading.
#9 of 17 Old 11-03-2014, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Can anyone jump in? I read this last year while pregnant and I am happy to freshen up on each section as you ladies are going through, so I can discuss. I'm pregnant again and became a doula last year so I'm very into birth discussion, especially via the framework of this classic book.
#10 of 17 Old 11-05-2014, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I'd love it if those who do some birth art would share with all of us. Maybe it'll even inspire me to create some birth art.

#11 of 17 Old 11-19-2014, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
How's everyone doing with the reading? I have been slacking on just about everything (knitting, reading, cooking healthy meals, perusing the DDC) and am just getting through the ongoing ridiculousness that is my crazy job. But getting back on here has re-inspired me to get going again. Read the first few chapters of BFW (again- I've read it a million times as a birthworker, but this is my first go as a birthing mama) but I haven't had the time of (head)space to do the art yet. My primary birth prep for now is yoga 1x/week and checking in with my little wiggling baby constantly... Ok, I am off to read some more

#12 of 17 Old 11-20-2014, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Me, too--I am reading slllooooowwwwwwllllly because I'm mostly... slacking off. The energy I've got left is reserved for absolute must-dos, and then for things I'm especially enjoying like knitting, and then once those are checked off the list, I'm asleep. I read for about half an hour on the treadmill once a week, which means I'm about 1/3 of the way through and haven't even gotten through Section IV yet.

I will say, though, that I have a couple of artwork images floating around in my head, and would like to put them down on paper sometime soon.

And it might not be ideal that I'm reading this book on the treadmill at the workplace gym, because the work my body's doing drops my defenses somewhat and I'm finding myself quite emotional as I read! I think that bursting into tears at the gym might not quite be the thing people want from a hugely pregnant woman. I'm just REALLY enjoying the descriptions of birth and finding myself so much looking forward to this go-round.

I mentioned to a not-terribly-pro-birth friend of mine that I'd been reading a few childbirth books, and she shook her head--"Why would you do that?! You've already done it twice! You know what to do!" How to explain to her that it makes me feel really good to think about it and look forward to it and even get a little impatient for it?

#13 of 17 Old 11-20-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeThatsMe View Post
Me, too--I am reading slllooooowwwwwwllllly because I'm mostly... slacking off. The energy I've got left is reserved for absolute must-dos, and then for things I'm especially enjoying like knitting, and then once those are checked off the list, I'm asleep. I read for about half an hour on the treadmill once a week, which means I'm about 1/3 of the way through and haven't even gotten through Section IV yet.

I will say, though, that I have a couple of artwork images floating around in my head, and would like to put them down on paper sometime soon.

And it might not be ideal that I'm reading this book on the treadmill at the workplace gym, because the work my body's doing drops my defenses somewhat and I'm finding myself quite emotional as I read! I think that bursting into tears at the gym might not quite be the thing people want from a hugely pregnant woman. I'm just REALLY enjoying the descriptions of birth and finding myself so much looking forward to this go-round.

I mentioned to a not-terribly-pro-birth friend of mine that I'd been reading a few childbirth books, and she shook her head--"Why would you do that?! You've already done it twice! You know what to do!" How to explain to her that it makes me feel really good to think about it and look forward to it and even get a little impatient for it?
My stock response (though it is absolutely true) to that kind of question is, "Why, because birth is my absolute favorite thing to do!" I either get weird looks or further questions about my weirdness.

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#14 of 17 Old 11-24-2014, 02:55 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I was searching for something new to read this pregnancy and had heard so much positive about this book so I got a sample do it on my kindle the other day and read the first chapter/section. I don't know. It's just not me. There's art involved. That's kind of like "crafting" and that's so outside of my comfort and talent. I'm not an artsy, journaling, explore my feelings kind of person, so I can see why so many moms like this book so much, but it's not speaking to me.

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#15 of 17 Old 11-24-2014, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Aside from the (long) chapters on creating birth art, I'm enjoying the common-sense approach this book holds. I think she's preaching to the choir for most of the book, and I haven't heard anything new, but I enjoy the refresher from a like-minded perspective. I like the Paper Tigers chapter, and I agree exactly with her sentiment on birth plans.

I will spend more time with the coping techniques chapter because it is more involved than the relaxation I've used before.

I have also skipped the birth art entirely because that is not how I connect with myself, or with others, for that matter. I'm not convinced I have any thoughts or feelings on birth that need to be exposed or resolved. I skipped this book entirely when I was expecting my first because the art chapters were too "woo-woo" for me. I'm more open-minded about that sort of thing now, but it still isn't for me. I personally wish the practical chapters came first, then the info on the art next. Maybe I'm just being picky right now...

Please ignore my spelling-- I think faster than I type.
#16 of 17 Old Today, 11:01 AM

Oh, my, Duchess. I was/am the same. Have the same feelings about the art. I just can't get into that. Basically, I am just gonna say, "Ditto what Duchess said."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessTergie View Post
Aside from the (long) chapters on creating birth art, I'm enjoying the common-sense approach this book holds. I think she's preaching to the choir for most of the book, and I haven't heard anything new, but I enjoy the refresher from a like-minded perspective. I like the Paper Tigers chapter, and I agree exactly with her sentiment on birth plans.

I will spend more time with the coping techniques chapter because it is more involved than the relaxation I've used before.

I have also skipped the birth art entirely because that is not how I connect with myself, or with others, for that matter. I'm not convinced I have any thoughts or feelings on birth that need to be exposed or resolved. I skipped this book entirely when I was expecting my first because the art chapters were too "woo-woo" for me. I'm more open-minded about that sort of thing now, but it still isn't for me. I personally wish the practical chapters came first, then the info on the art next. Maybe I'm just being picky right now...

#17 of 17 Old Today, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeyho View Post
I was searching for something new to read this pregnancy and had heard so much positive about this book so I got a sample do it on my kindle the other day and read the first chapter/section. I don't know. It's just not me. There's art involved. That's kind of like "crafting" and that's so outside of my comfort and talent. I'm not an artsy, journaling, explore my feelings kind of person, so I can see why so many moms like this book so much, but it's not speaking to me.
You can totally skip the birth art part. The only time I did any was in a Birthing from Within prenatal class. If you can get past that section, the rest is actually fairly common sense and there are some really useful relaxation techniques...

Breastfeeding, cosleeping, homebirthing scientist mama to DD1 07/08, DD2 06/10 and a third on the way 02/15!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page