Let down, but not let down! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#1 of 11 Old 11-23-2014, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Let down, but not let down!

Holy smokes! My husband has been able to express colostrum out of my breasts for a couple of weeks (just a few drops, but enough to please!), but today I went to breakfast with a friend who has a 10 week old baby (Oh, ladies! We're so lucky!) and the baby started to get fussy, and... that tingling sensation began in my nipples, and then... AN UNPROVOKED LETDOWN! I looked down and there was a wet ring around my nipple!!
Don't remember expressing anything pre-birth with my first two.
I was a little embarrassed, but more excited and proud!

Maybe this means that nursing and milk supply won't be an issue. Not that it ever has, but it's something in the back of my mind...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 11-23-2014, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Yes, wow. You should be proud. I've never done that either. I think all of us BFing moms are worried about supply, so hopefully that means you won't have to worry about that!

Three kids and one on the way.
#3 of 11 Old 11-24-2014, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I had a couple leaking moments this week too. I've never had that happen during pregnancy, and this is #4 !

I usually have an oversupply, so I'm not worried about supply at all. I usually have to block feed so I don't drown the poor kid and cause them reflux.
#4 of 11 Old 11-24-2014, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been able to express a few tiny droplets of colostrum for the past couple weeks, although usually only after a hot shower. But for some reason, this has been a lot more exciting to me than feeling the baby move, I suppose because the baby movements, even now, can be easily confused with gas/digestion a lot of the time, but the colostrum is obvious and unmistakable. This is my first pregnancy, so I'm really hoping that it's a sign that breastfeeding will go well.
#5 of 11 Old 11-26-2014, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I have been able to express colostrum out of my right breast a couple of times this week. My 5yo caught me doing it the first time. He now things this is a neat trick and asks me to do it.
#6 of 11 Old 12-01-2014, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This is my first pregnancy, and my nipples sometimes leak and stain my bra, never enough to soak through though. It makes me both excited and nervous. Excited that both my breasts seem to be functioning and eager to please a baby. Nervous that my milk might come in before baby even arrives. Is that even possible? Either way, it's one of my irrational pregnancy fears! OB says hormones are nowhere near ready, but to keep DH from outright suckling just to be on the safe side.

#7 of 11 Old 12-01-2014, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
It's my understanding that your body doesn't actually produce real milk until a couple of days after birth. I know my husband has been enjoying a morsel a day, but that's about all he gets. Your body will keep making colostrum, whether you express it or not at this stage.

#8 of 11 Old 12-01-2014, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I don't think it's a bad sign if you don't produce anything noticeable before birth. I've nursed 3 children and never had any (noticeable) pre-birth milk or colostrum. I have some this time, which weirded me out at first, lol.

If by some crazy chance you could have your milk totally come in before the baby was born, I'd be all about taking advantage of it and trying to get past the engorgement period before the baby came (which probably wouldn't even be possible, but I'd try!)

Either way, I wouldn't use milk or no milk as a sign of how breastfeeding will go.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#9 of 11 Old 12-01-2014, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Historically I'm a huge producer, but I've never leaked anything at all in pregnancy. Postpartum is entirely different though. I have to use nursing pads for the entire duration of BFing as the not-in-use side always leaks like crazy with letdown I was always so envious of those who stop leaking after a couple of months.

Breastfeeding, cosleeping, homebirthing scientist mama to DD1 07/08, DD2 06/10 and a third on the way 02/15!

#10 of 11 Old 12-01-2014, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
I leaked for like 18 months...not looking forward to that, ugh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#11 of 11 Old Today, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
"Real milk" won't come in until after baby is born. It's just colostrum until then. I have never leaked before babe is here but always end up with an oversupply. My leaking stops after a few weeks, though. I am sorry for you ladies who have to worry about breast pads the whole time. Kinda a bummer.

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page