Mothering Forum banner

Labor Playlist?

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  lakersgirl 
#1 ·
Are any of you thinking about music to set the tone for your laboring process?

I've started a list to make a playlist of, but am curious to what mood inducing songs I'm unaware of...

#2 ·
I'm using the same play list I made for DS's birth, plus some new songs added in...I loved it before and I'm hoping it'll have the same effect again.

I chose songs that are both slow and soothing and also have some kind of nostalgic appeal to me personally. There is a LOT of South San Gabriel and Sun Kil Moon on there, both of which I listened to a lot when DH and I were dating and they always bring me back there. Some REM ("Nightswimming" and "At my most beautiful"), some Lyle Lovett (I grew up on Lyle, lots of childhood memories in those songs), a couple Mountain Goats songs (like "love love love"), some Eels, and the Mavericks "Dream River," which I think I requested be played several times in a row during labor last time. I love Raul Malo's voice...I should go on spotify and see if they've done more slow stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I don't have a play list... I did for #1 and #2 , but never played them. Learned I was a "birth in silence" kinda girl. I love the thought of music in labor, but when it comes down to it, the lyrics always keep me in my logical brain, unable to escape to "Laborland." I am weird, though... cuz LOTS of people love music in labor!

Reactions: gabeyho
#5 ·
Yeah, I like the idea, too, but I don't think I could ever listen to music in that state. I have so little patience when I'm in pain and it would just be more of a sensory distraction that would irritate me. But I'm all about women doing whatever works for them.

#6 ·
I'm definitely going to make a playlist. I love music in labor. I don't always notice it, but when I do its lovely. We are waiting to get a new computer, so I can't really start compiling till then. I'm getting antsy to get started though.

#8 ·
Well, I bring a selection of CDs with me because I'm old school and don't use an ipod or anything. I stick to instrumental only CDs, though, and ones that are meaningful or my favorites. Ds#2 was Bach's Cello Suites by Yo-Yo Ma, perfect! And Ds#3 was Tone Poets, a mandolin/guitar duo that is awesome, as well as a jazz album I can't recall now. Maybe it was piano of some sort. Bill Evans? Anyway, I am contemplating what to bring this time. I want it to be different, since this pregnancy and baby are different. I've considered the piano Etudes by Phillip Glass, because I love it and is empowering, but is VERY dark and broody and cerebral for me. So I' don't know if that is going to be the tone I want to set...something more uplifting would probably be better suited for birthing. But what?? Most of the other jazz I love is also dark and broody, lol.

#9 ·
It's fun for me to reflect on what happened with some of the questions posed during pregnancy.
The music.

My husband actually took over the music thing. I didn't really care! lol. Everything he chose was helpful, though. Bob Marley, Cafe Del Mar and Buddha Bar. Music ended up being a necessity, though. The hardest part of my labor was from about 10pm to 3am, when the house is silent and the teenagers are sleeping. I wasn't quiet during labor. I can't even believe how uninhibited I was to just be LOUD!! The music had to mask my sounds to not really scare my kids. It worked. I woke them up in the morning, and both claimed that they heard nothing. They weren't even sure whether she was born or I was still in labor.

The best thing about the music is the song that was playing as she was birthed and the first couple of minutes afterward... totally random... The Look of Love (not the Nina Simone version, but a very beautiful one from Cafe Del Mar) Man, it was a powerful moment captured in the lyrics of a very sultry song. Spot on.

#12 ·
I have 4 songs on my playlist so far (putting it together this morning to just pass the time). Eye of the Tiger. Little Wonders (Rob Thomas). Praise you in this Storm, and Voice of Truth (Casting Crowns).

Reactions: gabeyho
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.