January Chat (Feb DDC) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

87Likes

#61 of 321 Old 01-10-2015, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I went to my prenatal with my midwife today and it turned out to be a mini shower with my friends that live in that area of the metroplex. It was super sweet and they gave me more birth beads for my necklace. I didn't end up getting my prenatal done though because she had to leave for a birth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 321 Old 01-10-2015, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I finished a pair of longies yesterday and a hat to match today. I really lucked out on the longies. I had bought one skein of this yarn that has long color runs and you never know what the color is inside the skein, so it's hard to match up a second skein. Well, I got the body and one leg except the cuff out of one skein. Went to the yarn store and bought another skein after my OB appointment this week. It just so happened that the outside end matched the color of the bottom of the leg I'd done, and the inside end matched the color of the remaining leg hole. So you can't tell where I added in the new skein! They turned out really well.

I did have to completely undo a pair of mittens earlier this week after casting on twice as many stitches as I was supposed to. They were for giant baby. Started over and now have proper newborn size mittens, plus a matching ruffle hat.

I've laid out baby clothes for the hospital. Can't believe it's getting so close! I probably only have 3 weeks left. If I don't deliver naturally in a few weeks, it's likely my blood pressure problems will necessitate delivery. It's still creeping higher, though OB is happy with numbers in the 140s/90s. I'm mostly staying in that range, but going higher once a day for a couple hours. Lying on the couch is getting boring. So glad I learned to knit last year!
gabeyho likes this.
#63 of 321 Old 01-10-2015, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
And out of no where comes... Lightening Crotch!!!! Ouch!!!! It started last night for no apparent reason. Maybe I jumped into bed too quick or something.

I did way too much today. I can't do major grocery trips anymore I did some cleaning too. I'm in a world of hurt now. The muscles under and around my belly hurt to even touch. My lower back is screaming at me. My crotch zaps me anytime I separate my legs. Usually I feel much better after a nights sleep when I am hurting like this. Hope that's the case!

I'm jealous of all of you with knitting and crocheting skills! I'd love to see pics of the things you make if you care to share

Denton: a surprise party sounds wonderful it's always nice to know people care about you. Will you post a pic of your birth bead necklace after you make it?

Boscopup: I hope you bp cooperates! And it's crazy how fast time is flying!

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cagnew; 01-10-2015 at 07:57 PM.

#64 of 321 Old 01-11-2015, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Boots, congrats! I just love your sons' names.

Cagnew, lightening crotch is the worst! It renders me immobile in the worst places-- like at Target while stocking up on TP.

I love hearing about the nesting going on. I just need to frame 3 prints for his room. They're really colorful vintage bike prints. I have blankets folded and outfits washed and bags packed. I've been getting excited to hold him and smell that amazing newborn smell. I wonder too what he'll look like. My husband and I were both born blonde but he has the best auburn hair now and I have light brown. Everyone in my family is green eyed. But part of me is expecting a dark little son because of his great grandfathers. Time will tell!

I thought for sure my cervix would be changing but no dice. I'm trying to be thankful for my BH contractions that are getting rather painful as practice. Now that I've gone through transition I'm nervous. Unfortunately, I'm a screamer so I've been warning DH. I feel a lot of peace about my past births and I am trying to just mentally surrender so my body follows suit.

Please ignore my spelling-- I think faster than I type.
#65 of 321 Old 01-11-2015, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
I'm about to swear off Facebook. Or at least never post about my child again. I posted a picture of my cat sitting in the pack n play and wow, you'd think I was literally sprinkling cat hair in the baby's bed with the way some people responded! "OMG what if your baby is allergic to cats!!" Um, well then wouldn't my biggest problem be the fact that I have two cats who's hair is literally all over my apartment? It just really annoys me that some people think they know everything about parenting.
#66 of 321 Old 01-11-2015, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Oh noez!! What if your cat is allergic to your baby!!?? Lol. Of all the things. Sheesh. @bren94
forestlover75 likes this.

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#67 of 321 Old 01-11-2015, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
@Bren our cat has been all over ALL the baby's stuff! He thinks the changing table pad is his new bed! Cats get into everything and they shed. It's just part of being a pet owner! Non-pet people just don't get it!

A little late, but congrats on the twins, boots! I love their names!

On a personal note, baby is still measuring large. I am about 20% effaced right now, and she is head down and low, but not so low that we expect her just yet! I haven't lost my mucus plug at all that I can tell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#68 of 321 Old 01-11-2015, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Psssh... Whatever on the cat front. To quote the most annoying singer I know, "A haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate".
Babies are so resilient, and we parents are so smart and caring. Exposing him to pet dander may actually help him in life, and if there seems to be an allergy developing, I'm sure you'll make some life adjustments.

People are so weird with their need to express their opinions. Seems like you deal with this a lot, Bren. I hope that these confrontations bring out the warrior woman in you. There must be a need for growth in this area if it keeps presenting itself to you. Tune it out. Listen to your own inner wisdom. It's obvious that you love this baby already, and with that intention, your choices will be spot on.
gabeyho and forestlover75 like this.

Last edited by happyday8598; 01-12-2015 at 10:00 AM.
#69 of 321 Old 01-11-2015, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
My cats drive me crazy. If I saw my cat in the playpen I would probably freak out, too. Even though I know that it's usually a good thing for kids to grow up around pets and helps with their allergies, I still HATE cat hair. I love my cats as much as a mom can with other children that are actually humans. I would certainly get rid of them in a heartbeat if I found out any of the kids were allergic. But for now, they stay. But I don't think I would give someone sh** on FB over it. That's their life, their animals, etc. I have enough loathing for my own cats' fur, more than all my friends and relatives on FB put together. I'm wondering if there's something I can spray on certain items or just get more of those air canister things that spray air when they get too close. I would really like to keep certain baby items off limits, just 4 or so.

Speaking of, back when I had my first baby, and had two cats, the male wasn't fixed (big mistake on my part!) and peed in the baby's pack n play, rendering it useless, just to mark his territory. So, yeah, won't be having any cats that aren't fixed ever again. That was pretty horrible. At least these cats don't do that, and except for the hair and occasional hairball are pretty well behaved.

Four children. Just welcomed our newest member on 2/12!
#70 of 321 Old 01-11-2015, 02:06 PM

Yeah not sure why I get so much of that lol. My cats really don't shed much. I find more of my own hair around the apartment than I do of theirs. Thanks for the backing up though. This kind of stuff makes me crazy and I was getting so upset.
#71 of 321 Old 01-11-2015, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iixivboots View Post
Hi everyone. My fraternal twin boys Gideon and Elliot were born on - 12/28 at 32+6. I had a vaginal birth, they were four minutes apart. They are in the NICU, but doing well. They only had breathing assistance and IVs for the first 24 hours. Now they are just "feeder growers" and need to learn to eat orally before they can come home.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Sooo happy they are healthy! How are you feeling, @iixivboots ?

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#72 of 321 Old 01-11-2015, 03:16 PM

I concur. The cat criticism is dumb. People should mind their own business! Like Valerie, I wouldn't want the cat where my baby sleeps, but that's just a personal thing. I have a dog that sheds. His hair is everywhere even though we cut it short and sweep regularly. It's just part of being a pet owner. Sheesh. Some people want to live in a bubble. Another reason I quit Facebook a year or two ago and I don't miss it one bit!

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#73 of 321 Old 01-11-2015, 04:51 PM

I think I am slowly losing my plug. Not positive though. I've had a lot of clear egg white mucus today (when I wipe). I lost my plug in a more obvious way with my first around 35 weeks (and was 3 cm) but didn't go into labor of course. She was born (induced) at 39 weeks. So I know mucus plug means nothing, but it's still fun to see something new happening I didn't lose my plug with the last two babies.

37 weeks tomorrow!

#74 of 321 Old 01-11-2015, 07:14 PM

Is it normal for me to be having a lot of moderately painful BH contractions this early? I'm 33 weeks and I've been having them for a few weeks but today they kicked up a notch.
#75 of 321 Old 01-11-2015, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren94 View Post
Is it normal for me to be having a lot of moderately painful BH contractions this early? I'm 33 weeks and I've been having them for a few weeks but today they kicked up a notch.

I'm 36 weeks and have been having painful BH since 34 weeks. They are even regular sometimes. i noticed maybe 5 BH my first pregnancy. This time they are very noticeable. Kinda crazy how different things are this time around for me
#76 of 321 Old 01-12-2015, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm still not in true labour. So much back pain and period like cramping for hours on end, so I know my body is still getting ready, but obviously baby is not ready to come out yet
I can no longer drive anywhere further than 5 mins away as car rides start up contractions big time. If I get to a stage of wanting to induce him to arrive, I think a car journey might do it lol. I'm a little concerned that the active phase might be super quick with all this prelabour preparation...

Sarah, slightly crunchy Mummy to 5 (youngest with T21)

#77 of 321 Old 01-12-2015, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren94 View Post
I think it's very normal. But of course listen to your instincts - if they get stronger, longer, and start happening more often never hurts to check in with your care provider.

#78 of 321 Old 01-12-2015, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Wow! It is kind of amazing to here some of you talking about your early labor symptoms! I still feel like I have a long haul ahead, and have only started feeling the first inklings of 3rd trimester malaise these past few days. But you are reminding me that my time will be coming sooon! I am wishing all of us so much good energy as we approach our births and navigate our labor journeys.
Valerie11 likes this.

#79 of 321 Old 01-12-2015, 09:02 AM

bren: I think its normal too. But, like forest said, if your worried, it doesn't hurt to get it checked out.

silver: we must have the same due date since I am 37 weeks today too. I never go early though, so I am sure you'll beat me! Good luck! It's so hard to go through the pre-labor stuff sometimes because it really starts to wear on you.

I think my "easy" pregnancy is over. This pubic pain is awful and pretty debilitating. I was so worried that things wouldn't get miserable enough for me to start praying for labor... don't think that will be a problem if this continues! The thought of going through this for another 3-4 weeks is horrifying.

#80 of 321 Old 01-12-2015, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Bren, I can only imagine what your FB friends would say about me! I have two cats and two German Shedders. You can't go anywhere in this house without encountering pet hair. A teenager comes to my house to clean weekly, and she commented one day that she just had to get used to the fact that after vacuuming, there would still be dog hair.

Children growing up around pets tend to have less allergies, so I'd ignore your FB friends. None of my kids are allergic to any animals, and they've all breathed, consumed, and been in contact with pet hair all their lives.
gabeyho likes this.
#81 of 321 Old 01-12-2015, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
The stroller, car seat, and birth tub just got dropped off at my front door within about thirty minutes of each other. Ish is getting REAL. But there is still so much farther to go for me compared to most of you, I know January will be fast and February will d r a g.
jodieanneanton likes this.

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#82 of 321 Old 01-13-2015, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Woohoo Gabyho! I have been checking MDC thought the day and I LOVE the updates on gear, mucous plugs, and BH! Hahaha, only a very pregnant woman could find such wacky stuff exciting.
gabeyho likes this.
#83 of 321 Old 01-13-2015, 04:47 AM

I have had a really difficult pregnancy emotionally. This was not a good time or way for me to be pregnant. That said, we had a great weekend before my 19yo went back to college last week. I feel like I am in a much better frame of mind now. I am ready to finish out my last 3 births before I go on maternity leave and then tackle my apartment to get it ready to birth in.
#84 of 321 Old 01-13-2015, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Bren, your friends might just report me. I have a 181 lb English Mastiff. She just turned 2. Obviously, her size comes from devouring newborns and I can barely keep up with her appetite. Lol!

AND she sheds!

I have a photo of my (now deceased) cat on my first born's changing table from before baby was born. Once she arrived, I can't recall my cat ever getting in it again. Guess she wasn't fond of the new baby smell.

Mama to a dd 10/05; ds 3/09, dd 2/15 and two angels. Expecting another miracle 7/16!
#85 of 321 Old 01-13-2015, 04:31 PM

It actually really caught me off guard considering how normal it is to see pictures and videos of pets and babies interacting on the internet. I deleted the people who keep pulling this since the only time they interact with me is to give unsolicited advice. Not the kind of negativity I need in my life right now! I'm slowly trying to cut down my facebook friends to only people I actually talk to in person and genuinely like.

I had a very positive appointment with my favorite midwife today. For the past 2 visits I've only gained 2 pounds in between which was a pleasant surprise. Bp is good and no protein in my urine. Yay! And I went ahead and got the Tdap. It's pretty sore now :/ I'm measuring at about 35 weeks which I know doesn't mean anything really but my heart is secretly hoping it means I can expect to deliver maybe just a *tiny* bit before my due date. Looking at the baby pictures on the wall made me so stinkin excited! Sorry for that super lengthy update.
#86 of 321 Old 01-13-2015, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
@iixivboots - Congrats!! Hope you and the boys are doing well!

I had my 34 week appointment Friday with the midwife, and we talked again about baby size (trying to avoid a 9 lb baby or going past my due date due to GD and hospital interventions at that point). I was measuring 2 weeks ahead this time, although I was right on track at the previous appointment. She wasn't concerned since 2 weeks either way is considered normal, and doesn't want to order another ultrasound to check estimated weight until at least 38 weeks so people don't start getting worked up earlier if the baby is bigger. But she did say she wants me to start taking evening primrose oil at 37 weeks to try to get things going early. I told her I started the Hypnobabies home study course and have the Come Out Baby track, which shouldn't be listened to until 38 weeks. She told me to start it at 37. So I think she is kind of trying to protect me from all the big baby hospital nonsense.

I'm a little torn about starting some of these things a bit early, but I also believe the baby won't come until it's ready to come. Since I know it's common for first time moms to go past their due date, I thought it would be unlikely for me to go into labor early.... until over the weekend, I was undressed to get into the shower and my husband was in the bathroom with me and said it looked like the baby had dropped. I hadn't felt anything different, but then I looked in the mirror and saw that the nice shelf of a belly holding my boobs up wasn't up there anymore. And this morning at work, I realized I wasn't nearly as out of breath after climbing the 3 flights of stairs to my desk as I had been in the previous weeks. They told us in our childbirth class that labor usually starts 2-4 weeks after the baby drops. Maybe this baby really is planning to come early?!?

We had our shower over the weekend and now have the critical things we need for a newborn (carseat was the big one we absolutely needed), and most of the other things that I think we'll use in the first few weeks. I just started a load for cloth diaper prepping, and this weekend we will probably wash some of the clothes, set up the pack and play in our bedroom, and get the car seat base installed. @gabeyho - like you said, ish is getting real!!!
#87 of 321 Old 01-13-2015, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Hi everyone! I have been off the radar for waaaaay too long. I got super, duper busy, and my silly all-or-nothing personality was keeping me from replying to anything if I couldn't keep up with everything. Gah! Anyway, I'm back now, and I don't intend to let myself get in the way again. I have missed this group!

I am 36 weeks and totally in denial that I'm actually having a baby next month. I still have a large to-do list to conquer, life is busy, and I don't feel like I'm having enough time to actually focus on the things I need to do to prepare myself before baby comes. I'm not getting to practice Hypnobabies every day, I'm doing prenatal abdominal rehab for my diastasis, but not getting to keep up with it as much as I should be, etc. Unfortunately, I work best under pressure, which is why my to-do list is just know getting knocked out. Oy!

@iixivboots , congrautlations on your babies!

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#88 of 321 Old 01-14-2015, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
I have been getting along better with my MIL lately. There was a time when she asked me to get my kids the flu shot and I snapped at her and used the f-word and we didn't talk for a long time after that until recently. I was talking to her last night and when she said something about how I'm getting sterilized, I mentioned that I probably won't be because I'm not happy with the sterilization options that they gave me and what my reasoning was and she was very upset. She started to tell me how I'm worthless to the family, that I'm putting an unreasonable demand on my husband by not working, and that if I don't get sterilized it means we will have 3 more children. I was telling her that 1) it's not her business, 2) it's not appropriate for me to be discussing contraception options with my MIL and 3) It's not black and white, there are other options besides sterilization or having more children.

My husband said not to pay her any attention. He wanted another child, so he doesn't mind me staying home. I don't feel any intense emotions about it, even with the pregnancy hormones. Mostly I feel a little deflated, which is how I'm already feeling because I'm at that physical point where I'm almost handicapped. But I think her true feelings came out, that we're not good parents because we don't make a ton of money. We also have a lot of judgments about her life, too. So maybe I deserve it.

Four children. Just welcomed our newest member on 2/12!
#89 of 321 Old 01-14-2015, 05:32 AM

Valerie: I have MIL struggles too. Luckily, DH understands and usually "sides" with me.

Rikki: Good to see you!

AFM: I'm tired and crabby this morning. I had strange and disturbing dreams all night and kept waking up on my back. I can feel my body fighting the kids cold... my head is feeling dry and just "blah." More garlic and Vit C today I guess.

This is the first morning I have woken up and just felt done with being pregnant. Not in a crazy intense way- just in a sigh and a shrug of the shoulders kind of way. It's getting old.

#90 of 321 Old 01-14-2015, 06:00 AM

Last night I reminded my 16yo that I am almost 36 weeks and exactly a month from EDD. I told him that it was most likely going to be another month, It could be a week or so before this baby comes. He was kind of like, oh crap that's right. We are that close. So I am getting on him about helping me around the house more, so that it will be presentable for guests when I go into labor.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page