pre labor/ labor - Mothering Forums

87Likes

#1 of 332 Old 01-16-2015, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
pre labor/ labor

I know this is a little soon for some. But I am definitely going through some pre labor symptoms. The passed two days I have been losing my mucus plug. Its not all that fun. Butttt it is a sign that things are progressing. So I thought I would create a thread to talk about our labor symptoms and what not! So exciting we are all so close to meeting our babies : )
happyday8598 likes this.

Last edited by cowchick530; 01-16-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 332 Old 01-16-2015, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
We've gone through 35+ weeks of waiting, and the weeks roll in and out pretty quickly (lately)... plugging right along, I've been surprised at the speed of progression. But the thought of these last 2 weeks coming up seems to be SOOOOO LONG!!

I read a funny earlier in the pregnancy. It was a cartoon with the caption... "There are an average of 30 days in a month. Except the 9th month of pregnancy, which has 5,362 days." I'm finding that accurate!

Super excited for the changes your body is showing in gearing up for the big event! Can't wait to "meet" your little one, if even only in photos!

Love, luck and light to you... And let your birth be like BUTTER!
cowchick530 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 of 332 Old 01-16-2015, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
It is possible to feel like you're in labor, but it's false labor. It happens to me every time about 3-4 weeks before the real deal. And I always go to the hospital. Last time was the worst, they confirmed contractions and offered me a medication to stop them, and I can't remember what I did. My husband says he remembers that I didn't take the medication, but I did hang out at the hospital for a couple of hours before the contractions finally died down. They were 5-7 minutes apart and extremely painful, but just like before, they weren't real. I would say if you are due at the beginning of February, then it's more likely to be the real thing than if you are due mid to late February. But you never know!

Four children. Just welcomed our newest member on 2/12!

#4 of 332 Old 01-16-2015, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

I don't "feel" like I am in labor. I just know that my body is actually preparing this time. I was induced twice with my son. So this is all new to me.. I just know that things are actually progressing this time. Its super exciting : )
gabeyho likes this.
#5 of 332 Old 01-16-2015, 12:20 PM

Yes, that is definitely exciting. My first birth the water broke on its own, and although that started labor, I think it would have went differently if the water didn't break, maybe slower? The second one was a natural induction (my OB manually pried the cervix open) and it took all day long. But the third was initiated by the baby itself and went so much faster. It's so great to let your body and baby decide.

#6 of 332 Old 01-16-2015, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
My water always breaks before I dilate and I don't have any labor on my own. I am super hoping that this time I get some signs and symptoms. Only one I had before was intestinal upset.

Sarah- sahm to a little boy and girl with a third blessing due in Feb.
#7 of 332 Old 01-17-2015, 03:33 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I've had prelabour for 9 days now, ever since I lost the mucus plug at 36.5 weeks. I'm nearly at 38 weeks and am pleased that baby is still inside, safe and growing.

However!! I am feeling completely worn down by the pains in my back and pelvis every day; the 6 hr marathons of strong contractions which have me ready at the door to go to hospital but which suddenly stop; the upset tummy every couple of days; and the emotional roller-coaster which has me crying at the slightest thing!

I don't know if it is all simply getting ready, or if it is because baby is back to back still and my body tries to go into labour and gives up? Or if I am somehow, subliminally stopping it when it gets more "real" because I am fearful of giving birth in a hospital and fearful that my baby will go into intensive care because he has Diwn Syndrome. I am aware I am overthinking it but pregnancy hormones and emotions and tiredness really mess with your brain!!
jodieanneanton likes this.

Sarah, slightly crunchy Mummy to 5 (youngest with T21)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 of 332 Old 01-17-2015, 06:22 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbirch View Post
I've had prelabour for 9 days now, ever since I lost the mucus plug at 36.5 weeks. I'm nearly at 38 weeks and am pleased that baby is still inside, safe and growing.

However!! I am feeling completely worn down by the pains in my back and pelvis every day; the 6 hr marathons of strong contractions which have me ready at the door to go to hospital but which suddenly stop; the upset tummy every couple of days; and the emotional roller-coaster which has me crying at the slightest thing!

I don't know if it is all simply getting ready, or if it is because baby is back to back still and my body tries to go into labour and gives up? Or if I am somehow, subliminally stopping it when it gets more "real" because I am fearful of giving birth in a hospital and fearful that my baby will go into intensive care because he has Diwn Syndrome. I am aware I am overthinking it but pregnancy hormones and emotions and tiredness really mess with your brain!!
It is a very good possibility that your body is trying to get baby into a better position so that labor can start for real. I see this all the time. I totally recommend spinning babies.com and seeing a chiropractor.
#9 of 332 Old 01-17-2015, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbirch View Post
I am aware I am overthinking it but pregnancy hormones and emotions and tiredness really mess with your brain!!
I am the same way. Although I have started to chill out.. I figure I'll know when its time. Even if I think its time every time. Haha.
#10 of 332 Old 01-17-2015, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
I made myself miserable with my last two pregnancies examining every symptom starting at 38 weeks. Prodromal labor makes it so hard! It felt like those last few weeks dragged on and on and every day was a disappointing eternity.

This time, I am determined to ignore everything before 40 1/2 wks (unless it's totally obvious). I am going to just embrace prodromal labor as part of the early labor process and try to be thankful for it because i know it serves a good purpose. I'll be 38 weeks on Monday and so far, so good.

I WILL NOT make myself crazy again... I WILL NOT make myself crazy...I WILL NOT make myself crazy... lol. Seriously, I felt like a rat in a cage last time! Definitely not fun for DH either.
gabeyho likes this.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#11 of 332 Old 01-17-2015, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

I never had any sort of prelabor with my first pregnancy. So this time it's exciting to experience it. Its pretty awesome. Which sounds crazy to most. But I kind of like the anticipation.. Its not a feeling you get with any other situation. Its really unique. this is my second and last pregnancy. So I'm soaking it all in..
#12 of 332 Old 01-17-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowchick530 View Post
I never had any sort of prelabor with my first pregnancy. So this time it's exciting to experience it. Its pretty awesome. Which sounds crazy to most. But I kind of like the anticipation.. Its not a feeling you get with any other situation. Its really unique. this is my second and last pregnancy. So I'm soaking it all in..
This is my fourth pregnancy and the first that I have had noticeable contractions of any kind.
#13 of 332 Old 01-19-2015, 05:49 AM

Contractions (which I'm enjoying for now!) have been increasing the past couple of days. Especially after a car ride.

I think I began loosing my mucus plug last night. Hard to tell, bc I've had some bloody shows every few weeks during the whole pregnancy, but... This time it seemed different. Maybe I want it to seem different.

I'll be 38 weeks tomorrow, the marker where my brain has told me it could be anytime after that... So in theory, I *could* have a baby by the weekend!! Oh, the excitement is almost too much this morning! I so look forward to that first moment of meeting him/her. I'm really hoping to not catch a glimpse of the gender for at least the first few minutes. I've been enjoying bonding with this baby as a being, and not a gender. I would love to have that same unbiased bonding for a few minutes before my brain naturally puts a gender bias on this individual (something I do, even though I'm hyper aware of it).
cowchick530 likes this.

#14 of 332 Old 01-19-2015, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

I will be 38 weeks on Thursday. And for the majority of this pregnancy I have said I don't think I will make it to my due date. Maybe it was wishful thinking. Since my son was born 10 days late and two inductions later.. But Istill think my body is making some awesome progress that iit never made my last pregnancy.

I love how you said you are enjoying bonding with the baby and not his/her gender.. I imagined for a moment what it would be llike to not know what we are having.... It seemed in complicated in my head. And easier. Well for me anyways. I'm sure all the people that have bought me stuff would be going insane haha..
happyday8598 likes this.
#15 of 332 Old 01-19-2015, 08:35 AM

It's driving my friends and family nuts. I think it's harder on them, too! I have to say, though, I loved the clothes we got from others with them not knowing the gender. Neutral tones with owls and ducks...

It's funny you mentioned thinking you'd be early, but without really having had it happen before. I was thinking that just a little while ago. Why did I always think I'd go around 39 weeks? My first hit 40 weeks, and my second 41. There is no reason to think my body has a tendency to deliver early. When I saw the Feb 3rd due date, I automatically changed it in my head to Jan 27th. This whole pregnancy I've been going by that as my due date! We'll see if I was picking up on some vibes in the very near future!

#16 of 332 Old 01-19-2015, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
My typical weeks-before-birth pattern started last night: contractions every 5 minutes for 2 hours then.... Nothing. We'll see if it starts up again tonight. I like the warning.
cowchick530 likes this.
#17 of 332 Old 01-19-2015, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Nothing tonight. I'm trying to sweet-talk my cervix into becoming as soft and pliable as butter. :smiley:
#18 of 332 Old 01-19-2015, 05:22 PM

Yep, I think tonight is/was my first false labor of this pregnancy. Right on schedule at 3-4 weeks to go. I took a bath and drank some water and it's not every 5 minutes anymore and also not as strong when I do have them.

Even if I could have this baby early, I don't think I would want to. I read something about how much development goes on in the last 4 weeks of pregnancy in the baby's brain, so I would definitely want that to continue. Not that it's the same for every baby, just like not every baby is born at exactly 7 lbs. but can still be super healthy at other weights.

#19 of 332 Old 01-19-2015, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

I have been having irregular but uncomfortable and a bit painful contractions since about 3pm today. They continue no matter what I do... I have an appointment tomorrow. Hopefully all this jazz has softened my cervix and dilated it a bit more.
happyday8598 likes this.
#20 of 332 Old 01-19-2015, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I'm with @cagnew . My last two were each five days past edd, so I am decided that this will be a March baby and I will NOT start driving myself crazy in a few weeks thinking it could be any day. At just 34 weeks right now it could still be almost 8 more weeks for me, which is insane, but keeps me from going insane to know that. Meanwhile, my BH have kicked up a notch and I went into crazy cleaning nesting mode and DH said I was grouchy and tried to just stay out of the way while I was cleaning up the kids toys and play area while muttering under my breath.
happyday8598 likes this.

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#21 of 332 Old 01-20-2015, 09:16 AM

I noticed some contractions last night when I would wake up to use the bathroom. So, I guess they continued, but I slept through most of them. Went to an OB appointment this morning and since they were doing GBS testing, she also checked my cervix and it was like at a 1 and still very thick. So these contractions aren't really doing much of anything and I expect at least 4 more weeks before the baby comes. Actually, I'm having one right now. They are not so painful I can't talk or do things during them, but definitely annoying and painful. I had three in a row last night that were very painful and I did have to stop everything and just wait them out.

#22 of 332 Old 01-20-2015, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I had my 38 week check today too. I learned that I'm 2.5cm dilated and my cervix has shortened, but he didn't say how much. I already knew this because sex has all of a sudden become painful. I could still be walking around like this in two weeks, when my next appointment is scheduled though!
Baby has turned slightly and is now side on but with head engaged. He still likes to stick his feet up under my ribs from time to time! I get very strong contractions now, where I cannot walk or move, but they don't form a pattern yet and I get them more in the daytime than at night. Sometimes I am woken by them, but seem to get them more in the daytime. Still have a lot of period- like pain and pelvic back ache.

Sarah, slightly crunchy Mummy to 5 (youngest with T21)

#23 of 332 Old 01-20-2015, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
This labor talk is getting me excited. I am having BH... but really nothing too difficult or painful. Just accompanied by non-painful "take your breath away" type feelings. Usually, they are induced by sudden physical activity.

I am less than a week away from where I had my son gestationally speaking..just over 37 weeks. I HIGHLY doubt that will happen again, as my girls came between 40-41 weeks. I actually would like a few extra weeks with baby on the inside. I have been dealing with overwhelming stress and it should level out in the next week or two. I just want to be in the right head space before labor!
happyday8598 likes this.

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#24 of 332 Old 01-21-2015, 05:04 AM

Most of my contractions are physical activity induced. Last night I woke up twice with a contraction and weird head pressure down low. I was also dreaming about a client being in labor, so as I would wake up I was telling my baby to stay put. I have three clients that need to have their babies before I am allowed to go into labor.
jodieanneanton likes this.
#25 of 332 Old 01-21-2015, 07:42 AM

Yes, mine also seem to be induced by physical activity. There are so many things I would like to be doing, but instead I'm spending my day on the couch watching TV and it is so boring! I want to clean the bathrooms or do some more organizing or whatever, but instead the house stays messy and I'm running out of shows to watch. First world problems, I guess.

I also had to get out the magnetic responsibility chart for my 4 year old to motivate him to do some of the things he needs to do. Like make his bed (just put the blankets on the bed so that they're not on the floor), brush his teeth, take a bath, put on his PJs and things like that. He knows I can't chase him or catch him right now, so he takes full advantage of that. So I'm trying to reward instead of punish him. So far it's going okay. I'm really glad I have them spaced out and not having babies while being pregnant, that would be really hard for me in this last two months.

#26 of 332 Old 01-22-2015, 06:01 AM

My 6yo has also taken advantage of the fact that I have not had a lot of energy to chase after him and make sure he is doing everything he is supposed to.
#27 of 332 Old 01-22-2015, 06:28 AM

Watcha watchin, Valerie? Anything you'd highly recommend?

#28 of 332 Old 01-22-2015, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I'm in the couch + tv boat too. So happy we have Netflix!
#29 of 332 Old 01-22-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyday8598 View Post
Watcha watchin, Valerie? Anything you'd highly recommend?
Watching Netflix mostly. I just finished a season of Hoarders, which makes me feel like my house is very clean. I love that show, they used to have all the seasons on there, but over time they lost the rights or whatever and now they just have one season that I don't even think is in order. But it's been so long since I've seen them that I couldn't remember what happens. I like Hoarders and Intervention. The people on those shows are so far gone that they don't usually act for the cameras, and I love the reality of it and to show people out there that they are not alone in their addictions and problems.

Now I'm on the last episode of The Fall, which is a Netflix exclusive with Gillian Anderson (of the X-Files), but it is seriously dark and even depressing. But I like those kind of shows, too.

So probably not what most people would want to watch. I also love the home improvement shows on there, but there are just not enough of those. I'm done with all of them within the past month. I am a serious TV junkie lately.

#30 of 332 Old 01-22-2015, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie11 View Post
I also love the home improvement shows on there, but there are just not enough of those. I'm done with all of them within the past month. I am a serious TV junkie lately.
Have you watched Holmes Inspection, Valerie? That's what I am watching now.

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page