Movies / Shows - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
#1 of 18 Old 01-22-2015, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Movies / Shows

Okay, so many of us have entered the media watching zone.

Top picks to recommend to those of us who're stumped on finding something "worthy"?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 01-22-2015, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Castaway on the Moon - Korean film, subtitled. Available on Netflix. SUCH an incredible movie. One of my fav of all times.
Boyhood
Jules and Julia
Cloud Atlas - long, but AMAZING. Pay attention, or watch it twice!

#3 of 18 Old 01-22-2015, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
We've been watching Doctor Who. Previously watched Sherlock (yum). I've done Gilmore Girls. We're doing Star Trek on occasion. Also Columbo for some retro. I love seeing which famous actors are the murderers there... Leonard Nemoy, William Shatner, Johnny Cash, and even Dick Van Dyke!
#4 of 18 Old 01-22-2015, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
I've been really into crime dramas lately. These are not necessarily light-hearted, but I love them - The Fall, The Killing, House of Cards (okay, not really a crime drama, but a phenomenal show), Happy Valley, and I recently re-watched Twin Peaks, one of my all-time favorite shows. If I'm stuck on what to watch, I usually either go to Arrested Development or Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Or Parks and Recreation. Or Orange is the New Black. Can't go wrong there. All of those are on Netflix. My brother recently recommended Peaky Blinders, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

We also have HBO, so if you have access to that (we share an HBO Go account with a family member), I absolutely love Veep, The Newsroom, and Boardwalk Empire.

Wow, it seems like I watch a lot of TV for someone who doesn't have cable!

Has anyone watched Call the Midwife? It keeps coming up as recommended for me on Netflix.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#5 of 18 Old 01-22-2015, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

I loved Call the Midwife! I resisted for a while watching it, but was sucked into the characters almost immediately...

#6 of 18 Old 01-22-2015, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Call the Midwife is maybe my favorite show right now!

I've also been watching The Great British Baking Show on PBS, and recently got really into watching Parenthood on Netflix.

#7 of 18 Old 01-22-2015, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
I keep watching Jim Gaffigans Mr. Universe. I may shake this baby out with laughter or just pee the couch. We also just started watching Mad Men but the misogyny is peeving me a bit. We'll see...

I'm actually looking for a tear jerker so I can get a good cry to release any hidden tensions but I have no idea what to watch. My two favorite movies (not tear jerkers) are Somethings Gotta Give and As Good as it Gets .

I also love the pretty stuff-- pe
#8 of 18 Old 01-22-2015, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
I have a new phone and I can't see half of what I'm typing! I was starting to say I like watching pretty stuff, like Out of Africa and Memoirs of a Geisha.
#9 of 18 Old 01-22-2015, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
I tried to get into Dr. Who, but just couldn't. But I did love Sherlock and I recommend that to anyone, it is such a great show!

Also enjoyed Orange is the New Black and still need to watch House of Cards past the first episode. It takes a lot of concentration and was watching with my husband, but at night the last thing we need is to be concentrating while trying to wind down for bed, so I haven't gone back to it. I guess I'll have to watch it alone.

Okay, since I can't remember them all, I went to my Facebook profile and just looked at TV shows, so here's what I would recommend:

Nashville
Futurama
Dexter
Firefly
It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia
Peep Show
Sherlock
Legend of the Seeker
Parenthood
Brothers and Sisters
Conspiracy Theory with Jesse Ventura
Mad Men
United States of Tara
Everybody Loves Raymond
Misfits
Ruby
Clean House
Hell's Kitchen
The Biggest Loser
The Killing
Downton Abbey
The Walking Dead
Breaking Bad
The X-Files
Rescue Me
Portlandia
Ugly Betty
The Twilight Zone
SpongeBob SquarePants
Yo Gabba Gabba (good music)
Battlestar Galactica
MonsterQuest
Hoarders
Billy the Exterminator
Deadwood
Intervention
Roseanne
The Office
The Wire
Dirty Sexy Money
Band of Brothers
3rd Rock from the Sun
South Park
The Universe
UFO Files
The Sopranos
Lost
Damages
The Bridge

Three kids and one on the way.
#10 of 18 Old 01-22-2015, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
I don't have cable but we use HBO go and Netflix. My taste might be a little lame though.

I love Girls on HBO.
Friends is on Netflix now.
Also Twin Peaks, Medium, Parks and Recreation, Orange is the New Black, Portlandia, Weeds, The Walking Dead.

I'm trying to think of movies on Netflix but I'm drawing a blank. I love The Virgin Suicides.

Basically all I do is clean, do my morning yoga, and watch Netflix/HBO Go all day since the weather is back to being crap.

Last edited by bren94; 01-22-2015 at 02:18 PM.
#11 of 18 Old 01-22-2015, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I have a question about this. So, how do you work the tv watching with kids around? Do you just watch after they're in bed? Do they watch? Or are they just oblivious, and doing their own thing? I ask because I never get to watch tv. If the tv's on, my kids are staring at it like zombies, even if it's something like the weather. I can't stay up late enough to watch after they go to sleep either. So I just never do. But I would really really like to right now!

Any recommendations for sci fi/fantasy type shows. I love stuff like Game of Thrones.
#12 of 18 Old 01-22-2015, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2toby View Post
I have a question about this. So, how do you work the tv watching with kids around? Do you just watch after they're in bed? Do they watch? Or are they just oblivious, and doing their own thing? I ask because I never get to watch tv. If the tv's on, my kids are staring at it like zombies, even if it's something like the weather. I can't stay up late enough to watch after they go to sleep either. So I just never do. But I would really really like to right now!

Any recommendations for sci fi/fantasy type shows. I love stuff like Game of Thrones.

I watch after DS goes to bed. That's why I like getting into a series rather than watching movies. He goes to sleep around 8, so I usually chat with DH, finish cleaning up with him, then watch an episode of something before I go to sleep. Occasionally, on a day like today, when the weather is crap and we can't leave the house because our car is stuck in the mud (construction on our street, our driveway is blocked so I had to park on the muddy, sloped construction area), I let DS watch TV pretty much all day (for shame) and I will watch something on the laptop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#13 of 18 Old 01-22-2015, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessTergie View Post
I'm actually looking for a tear jerker so I can get a good cry to release any hidden tensions but I have no idea what to watch. My two favorite movies (not tear jerkers) are Somethings Gotta Give and As Good as it Gets
One of my go-to movies that simultaneously makes me happy/makes me cry is Away We Go, especially now that I'm pregnant.

#14 of 18 Old 01-22-2015, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

My kids are older, and at school. Sometimes they sit down to watch a movie with me. Or one of them does. It's nice, and I especially appreciate those moments (even though we're both absorbed elsewhere) now that we're nearing the end of our one on one time like this. We play a lot of games, together, too. Settlers of Catan has become our new fav.

#15 of 18 Old 01-22-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
So, how do you work the tv watching with kids around?
Depends on the show. If there's nothing bad in it I can watch with the kids around, but if it has bad language or other horrible things in it, I have to watch in the bedroom or pause every time a kid is around the living room. And then there are the shows that I watch with my husband just before we go to bed, so those would be mostly comedies and other more brainless things. I must admit, when I worked I watched a lot less TV. Heck, I even watched a lot less in the second trimester when I had the energy to do house work all day. I miss that.

#16 of 18 Old 01-22-2015, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
My kids go to bed at 7, so I can watch after they go to bed. Shows that are kid appropriate, I'll watch with them. Since I'm stuck on the couch much of the day right now, we're doing more tv time than normal. Sometimes I'll send them off to do something else while I watch.
#17 of 18 Unread Today, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:

Once Upon A Time is the best show ever, @mama2toby ! I am actually surprised no one has mentioned it yet! The fir 3 seasons are on Netflix!

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#18 of 18 Unread Today, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodieanneanton View Post
Once Upon A Time is the best show ever, @mama2toby ! I am actually surprised no one has mentioned it yet! The fir 3 seasons are on Netflix!
I tried watching that show, watched a few episodes in the first season and just could not get into it. It's a very beautiful show, but I just didn't feel anything from the characters. I loved all of the Disney princess movies growing up, loved reading Grimm's Fairy Tails in high school, but I just really couldn't get into this show for whatever reason.

Also couldn't get into some of the other fantasy/monster shows out there recently like Grimm or Sleepy Hollow or any of the vampire shows. I have also watched the entire series of Hemlock Grove and Revenge (not that those two are related) and overall thought that they just weren't good. But once I start watching something and get attached to the characters, even if the acting is bad, I just keep watching it.

Recently watched all of American Horror Story. I like a lot of the actors in it, and although I didn't LOVE it, I think it made its mark. It was a little too fast paced, but definitely every season is very good at making you feel unsettled, which I think was its intention.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page