February Chat (Feb DDC) - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

67Likes

#271 of 297 Old 02-28-2015, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have to agree on the pets thing! I knew I'd not want my cats and dog around after the birth because it's happened Every time I have a new baby. I adore my dog particularly and I find it somewhat interesting that I'm quite willing to sideline him now Chatlie is here. Luckily I can easily rely on other family members to walk and play with him if I don't feel like it. The cats are just soo annoying though! Like Valerie said, they're getting on the changing mat, rocker, car seat (if it's inside) etc and I worry constantly that they'll lie on Charlie at some point. I'm resenting the hair, the cost, the bits of mouse and bird....
However, having been through this 4x before, I Know that these feelings will pass and I'd seriously regret re homing any of them. It really is just hormonal and will pass soon. Then I'll love my pets again in the way they're used to.
So, to anyone thinking of getting rid of their pets once baby arrives..try to wait a couple of months because you might change your mind again. Or, find a pet sitter to foster them for a while?

Sarah, slightly crunchy Mummy to 5 (youngest with T21)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#272 of 297 Old 02-28-2015, 02:37 AM

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
It's hard to believe I'm going to have my very own baby so soon! Ahh! Okay so we finally got the car seat, well, ordered it at least. It'll be ready to pick up in store tomorrow. I think that was my last big thing to check off the list and I'm officially as ready as I'll ever be for this little guy.

I've been reading a TON about cloth diapering. I won a giveaway on Instagram and got a gdiapers starter pack (woo!) and now I'm obsessed with collecting CDs. I have mostly prefolds and I think 9 pocket diapers. So here's the thing; after doing a lot of reading, I'm thinking prefolds are going to be most desirable for us. But I have so many pockets that I really like and I'd hate not to use them, so can I use prefolds inside a pocket? As in the pocket diaper acts as a cover for the prefold? I don't see why I couldn't do that but I don't have any experience with cloth so I need some advice from other CDing mamas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brenna and William - April 11th, 2013
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

June 18th, 2014

20 year old SAHM to Liam - born on March 7th, 2015.

#273 of 297 Old 02-28-2015, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
You can definitely use a prefold as a pocket insert! I used to put a prefold in along with the insert for naps for extra absorption. All of my inserts ended up needing to be replaced anyway.

I have a bunch of old pockets, but I'm wanting to do more fitters this time around. Looking at getting a few s-bish and then some green mountain workhorses.

I haven't used them yet, but Bren you might check out the GMD workhorses as well. They're economical, lots of mamas swear by them, and they're a bit easier than prefolds since they have snaps.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)

#274 of 297 Old 02-28-2015, 05:37 AM

Ooh luckiest I like those! They look much easier to use than the prefolds. Thank you for showing me those.

June 18th, 2014

#275 of 297 Old 02-28-2015, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Do give the prefolds a try, though--they're easier than you think! I have been impressed with how much I've LOVED them so far, this time around; we used them for my son six years ago, but with a laundering service. This time I'm doing it all myself, and gosh, what was I afraid of? Easy peasy. And getting prefolds on and off: a snap(pi). Har har. But seriously, I undressed and redressed her for a weight check at the pediatrician's office yesterday, and the nurse was like "...Wait, that's it? But that's so simple!" Yes!

And yes, totally just use the pockets as covers. I like my PUL covers because they are so incredibly easy to keep clean, but if you already have the pockets, by all means!

She's here! Baby Yoshiko arrived on 2/7/15, and now we are a family of five.
#276 of 297 Old 02-28-2015, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
I love having prefolds around as well, even if you don't use them as diapers! They're so versatile. Burp cloth, rag, even a lovey.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#277 of 297 Old 02-28-2015, 08:04 AM

Thanks ladies. I'll definitely be using my prefolds, I have so many of them and I love that they're so inexpensive.

June 18th, 2014

#278 of 297 Old 03-01-2015, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Last week I tried to treat my strep throat myself with raw garlic,,ACV, cayenne, honey, salt, lemon and bottles of Vit C. I thought I had it licked, but... Nope. Wound up in the ER after throwing up blood and bile for 2 hours. That was rough.

Really hoping for a swift recovery because I'm ready to do stuff again and i don't have help around the house now. Im also so thankful DS takes a bottle and I had a stash in the freezer.
#279 of 297 Old 03-01-2015, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
@DuchessTergie , Oh no! I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I probably wouldn't mess around with Strep, I know that it moves to other parts of the body and causes things like PANDAS in kids, plus the GBS in birth. Strep is some nasty stuff! I hope you get better really soon.

Four children. Just welcomed our newest member on 2/12!
#280 of 297 Old 03-01-2015, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Yikes! I agree with Valerie, strep is nothing to mess around with. I did want to point out, though, that the strep in Group B Strep is caused by a completely different strain of bacteria than the one that causes strep throat.

I hope you feel better fast, DuchessTergie!
Valerie11 likes this.

#281 of 297 Old 03-01-2015, 09:21 AM

Oh DuchessTergie that sounds awful! Feel better!

June 18th, 2014

#282 of 297 Old 03-01-2015, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Hey everyone! Just wanted to let you all know that I'm still around (well I took a long break but just came back in time for birth stories). We had a crazy couple of months near the end but things slowed down in the last few weeks.

So happy to see so many arrivals and so many different stories. Hang in there ladies who have yet to deliver!

AFM: our as yet unnamed baby boy made a grand entrance as a human cannonball last night. Just missed a feb birthday as he was born at 12:30 am. Less than an hour of active labour! I'll post a proper thread later...
#283 of 297 Old 03-01-2015, 05:34 PM

Congrats murrelet!

June 18th, 2014

#284 of 297 Old 03-01-2015, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Congratulations!
#285 of 297 Old 03-01-2015, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Congrats!

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#286 of 297 Old 03-02-2015, 05:29 AM

Congratulations!!!

#287 of 297 Old 03-02-2015, 05:35 AM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
yeay! Congratulations, @murrelet !

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#288 of 297 Old 03-02-2015, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
February Chat (Feb DDC)

you know what's weird? I almost exclusively get on here with Tapatalk, and now that I'm looking from my computer for the first time in a very long time, everyone's picture is different on the forum for the desktop than on the app. It's weird. It's like I don't even know anyone when all the pics are different! lol.

ETA: and now they all match! Even weirder....
jodieanneanton likes this.

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?

Last edited by gabeyho; 03-02-2015 at 04:11 PM.
#289 of 297 Old 03-04-2015, 07:49 PM

Well friends, a lot could change in 3 days, but I'm becoming less and less hopeful that they will. That being said, I'd like to do everything in my power to have the most positive birth experience possible. My induction is scheduled for Saturday morning at 6:30am and I'm nervous but so excited! Do any of you have any tips or advice on how I can get through what will likely be a tough labor with strong pitocin contractions? Are there any essential oils or relaxation methods I could try? I want to at least try to do this naturally and with as few interventions as possible.

June 18th, 2014

#290 of 297 Old 03-04-2015, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I don't have any experience or advice about dealing with the pit contractions, but I've seen and heard of plenty of people getting started on that and then their body taking right over and being able to turn the pit off. They just needed a little nudge. And three days IS a long time, especially with all the activity and progress you've already made. I think at least somebody's baby is gonna be a full moon baby tomorrow I think it's great to prepared for all the possibilities though. I'm rooting for you!
#291 of 297 Old 03-05-2015, 03:43 AM

Bren, I'm sorry things thus far aren't going as you hoped. But your body is making significant cervical changes and that is good news for a scheduled induction.

I've had 2 pit births and 1 natural. In my view, EO aren't going to do jack taco-- if a drug-free birth is your goal you have to go in with a strong mind!

Being as positive as possible is so helpful. I am a woman that needs an epidural for pit. Because I labor really fast, the epidural only takes the edge off physically. But mentally it helps me from feeling really afraid. For me, childbirth without fear means I can trust the natural design AND if things don't go to plan I don't have to lay there terrified. Epidurals can be given in compassion, not just because we're not strong enough to deal with contractions. You may be a real hoss and just labor beautifully with pit! :grinning: I know a few ladies that labored drug-free during an induction.

I'm rooting for you, Bren. I hope your labor and baby's birth are empowering and beautiful, no matter how it plays out. And this community won't shame you either way-- we're for a healthy mama and babe.
#292 of 297 Old 03-05-2015, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Ditto what Duchess said

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#293 of 297 Old 03-05-2015, 07:03 AM

Thank you @DuchessTergie that was really helpful for me to read. I'm going to roll with the punches, but if it gets so bad that I'm just miserable then I'm not going to force myself to keep going. I'd rather have a pleasant birth experience and if that means getting the epi then that's something I can be okay with.

June 18th, 2014

#294 of 297 Old 03-05-2015, 09:02 AM

Yes, you never know how well you will tolerate the pain. I was told that I wouldn't be able to talk through a contraction. That was wrong. Although it did really hurt, I was able to talk and wasn't screaming or anything. But I still love epidurals and saving my energy for the pushing.

#295 of 297 Old 03-05-2015, 09:03 AM

Oh, and also the test results came back on Jonathan within normal limits, so we are in the clear. For now.

#296 of 297 Old 03-05-2015, 10:15 AM

Valerie, good news about your boy!
#297 of 297 Old 03-05-2015, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I love epidurals!!! I had a "walking Epi" with both mine and was able to change positions as I needed. I still felt some "pain" but it was pleasant and tolerable and I was able to work with my body more. My second wasn't even a pit birth and I was only at 4 cm before I gave in.

I Hope you get the experience you want!

Sarah- sahm to a little boy and girl with a third blessing due in Feb.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page